What's new

1st Time Grow - 4x4 - 1000watts - Soil!

Germination!

Germination!

All 8 Dirty Dawg seeds germinated! And a few of the bag seeds are germinating as well.

The questions i have are:

1. do i remove the dome to the germination tray or do i leave it on?

2. The dome has been covered with a cloth protecting the seedlings from light. Should i remove the dark cloth and expose them to the light now? 600w, 750w or the full 1000w?

Here are some pics. Dome on and off.

picture.php

picture.php

T

Tarus Bulbar

Id say at this point your safe to remove the clear dome.
Wouldnt wanna put em under ant HID's for at least 2-3 weeks
as its way to strong for em now! Just use a simple flouro for
now until they strengthn up a while.
Cheers!!

Thanks Greenadian :) I removed the dome! Unfortunately all i have is the digital ballast 1000w MH. I put the ballast on 600w but the room gets kinda cold with the A/C on so i put it back on 1000w to keep the temp comfy for them.

There are now 15 little baby sprouts. I hope for more seeds to germinate.

I watered them again with PH 6.6 adjusted water.

I am going to go into my lil room and say goodnight to them before going to bed.

Goodnight everyone!

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Keep the 1000w far above the seedlings. They should be fine.

I water my plants with tap water, but I let my tap water sit in a five gallon bucket with a 30 gallon air pump for 4 days before watering with it.

I also used miracle gro soil on my first run in my cab. No complaints.

Keep the 1000w far above the seedlings. They should be fine.

I water my plants with tap water, but I let my tap water sit in a five gallon bucket with a 30 gallon air pump for 4 days before watering with it.

I also used miracle gro soil on my first run in my cab. No complaints.

Thanks Anti. Cool name by the way.

I am going to order a 15gallon water barrel, an air stone for it and a water pump. This way i can just fill it up, PH down the water, and then water my plants from that.

Is the air stone what i need to keep the water oxygenated?

The light was only about 16" above the seedlings, but there is no heat whatsoever and my hood is actually chill to the touch in many areas including on top. However, i still dimmed the lamp to 60% (600w), so that should be safe for them I am hoping.

IMO, 600, 16 inches away is alot for 2-3 day old seedlings...i would raise it, or even better, put them under some fluoros for a week...You can almost get them touching the fluoros so they wont stretch on ya. But the 600 will be fine, for sure, i would maybe move it up a little, but if it hasn't burnt them yet, then it probably wont. i have a 600/1000/400 and alot of fluoros..i like fluoros for new seedlings, you can keep the light right on top of the plants and they will keep tight internodel spacing. Then after they get 4-5 nodes I move them under a 400 MH, then off to flower under the bigger lights.

Its not always the heat from the lights that hurt them, but the intensity.

looks like you got it under control, best of luck to ya. Take care.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got a PH Meter today and took a reading and it gave me bad news:

picture.php

Ph of 9.2!! And i have not even mixed my soil yet which also requires LIME, and from what i read, lime is for keeping the PH from dropping, right? So what if it is high like 9.2?

I don't know what to do now.

Do i PH down the water everytime i water my plants?

Do i still add Lime to my soil mix?

Any advice will be appreciated!

my tapwater is around 9 - i find it best to follow the soil mix and add the lime as directed. then i use citric acid to reduce the pH of my water to around 6 before watering. works great for me and you get to learn how much is needed so it doesnt take long.

you can get citric acid powder from ebay, mix a couple teaspoons with a pint of water and then use this as your pH down solution. a few tablespoons of that solution should get you to the right place.

most pH down is not organic and will kill your microbes in the soil - the canna one is organic and based on citric acid but is much more expensive than buying the powder. a few dollars and it will last you years.

cheers

VG

TheGreenBastard

Assistant Weekend Trailer Park Superviser
Veteran
Thanks Anti. Cool name by the way.

I am going to order a 15gallon water barrel, an air stone for it and a water pump. This way i can just fill it up, PH down the water, and then water my plants from that.

Is the air stone what i need to keep the water oxygenated?

The light was only about 16" above the seedlings, but there is no heat whatsoever and my hood is actually chill to the touch in many areas including on top. However, i still dimmed the lamp to 60% (600w), so that should be safe for them I am hoping.

The airstone alone we help down your pH a little as some tap impurities can just bubble out, in fact, simply leaving your water out for a day or two can help. And yes, it will oxygenate your water to a degree.

Transplanted today to smaller cups. They are 8oz cups, couldn't get 16oz's. I taped the cups with duct tape to block the light beacuse they are not fully opaque.

8 of the Dirty Dawg seeds germinated with 2 of them being rather week seedlings. The remainder 9 are bag seed and i planted more today. I am hoping to have around 24 to start so i can hope for at least 12 females.

I will post pics as soon as i get some batteries for the digital camera. It eats batteries like crazy and i accidentally left it turned on when i plugged it into the PC to copy the last set of pics off and that totally drained it.

I have a question!

Do i buy 2 gallon Smart Pots, or 3 gallon Smart Pots?

I am ordering them Friday. My grow space is 4x4 with a 7ft ceiling give or take a few inches and I plan to only veg plants a couple weeks so they don't shoot up taller than my space when i switch to flowering.

So, 2 gallon or 3 gallon? I order them Friday!

Thanks in advance for the advice everyone!:thank you:

May 26th - Here are the transplanted sprouts. I moved them into potting soil i mixed down with perlite. I will leave them here for a week and then move them to the Smart Pots which i order on Friday once i figure out which size i should get.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Perpetual Nooch

You don't need a dome for seedlings. Domes are to root clones only.

Put 9 plants in 12" pots under that 1K and you should be able to do 2-3 oz per plant dry. Big roots (ie big pots) = big buds, don't forget this rule when growing in soil or soilless mix. Miracle Grow will work, but you can and will want to do better in the future.

Use the ph test strips to get an initial reading of the water, then use phosphoric acid (it's cheap) to lower PH to between a range of 5.5-7. After the first time just put in how ever many drops of Phos. acid it took the first time.

bloyd

Veteran
just a point to consider, are you sure you are getting an accurate reading on your meter. i.e. did you calibrate it before use? 9.0 seems quite high but I know it varies depending on source.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I am ordering them Friday. My grow space is 4x4 with a 7ft ceiling give or take a few inches and I plan to only veg plants a couple weeks so they don't shoot up taller than my space when i switch to flowering.

So, 2 gallon or 3 gallon?

If you're only vegging for a few weeks, you probably don't even need the 2 gallon. 1 gallon (or less) would probably suffice.

Once they start flowering, plants are not going to spend a lot of energy making roots. If you have a small plant in a 3 gallon container, much of that 3 gallons is going to waste, IMHO.

(This is from a guy who keeps his plants in 1/8 gal containers from start to finish.)

Perpetual Nooch

If you're only vegging for a few weeks, you probably don't even need the 2 gallon. 1 gallon (or less) would probably suffice.

Once they start flowering, plants are not going to spend a lot of energy making roots. If you have a small plant in a 3 gallon container, much of that 3 gallons is going to waste, IMHO.

(This is from a guy who keeps his plants in 1/8 gal containers from start to finish.)

I used to think this as well, but after doing an experiment I found that the roots did indeed grow enough during flowering to justify a bigger pot. Try it yourself and you will see that it is true.

What I did was transplant into a bigger pot halfway through flowering. By the end of it the rootball filled the entire big pot. Conclusion: the roots grow during flowering.

Anyway, 2-3 weeks is plenty of time to fill a 3 gallon pot with roots even if you do the transplant on day one.

TheGreenBastard

Assistant Weekend Trailer Park Superviser
Veteran
Defiantly go for the bigger pots, root space is directly relate able to size (This is most true with AF's).

Also,to expand upon what Nooch said about domes, they are only needed for clones as they have no root systems for absorbing water/nutes. Thus the need for a dome allowing for water intake through the leaves/foliage.

Norkali

Had to stop in, your avatar caught my eye!

Looks like your not gonna have too much trouble getting help. :)