What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st Indoor Grow DWC LED Dos Si Dos 33

Day 25

Plants seem to be growing well with one in particular going like gang busters. Seeing more of the rust like symptoms and will be supplementing with CalMag tomorrow.

This plants first and second nodes leaves are acting weird and twisting as if the plant was being spun, with the leaves facing sidewards.

Image_Day 25 1.jpg

Image_Day 25 2.jpg

Image_Day 25 3.jpg

This one isn't reacting well to something, calmag is my guess and I will be supplementing soon.

Image_Day 25 4.jpg

Image_Day 25 5.jpg

I will top when one more node grows out and start manifolding the ladies.

Day 28

Day 28

The ladies are still growing well, however, I am having some leaf issues on one of the plants and the others are still looking very green. Somebody on another forum suggested upping the pH slightly as this cure his similar problem. I'm currently at 6.01 I will slowly raise it up with the next top ups.

Image_Day 28 2.jpg

Image_Day 28 3.jpg

Image_Day 28 4.jpg

That plant on the right is having some issues.

Image_Day 28 5.jpg

Image_Day 28 6.jpg

Day 28: Manifolding

Day 28: Manifolding

Started to build a manifold at the third node.

Image_Day 28 11.jpg

Image_Day 28 12.jpg

Workspace.

Image_Day 28 7.jpg

Cuttings in rockwool cubes submerged in plain tap water. Interested to see how they do.

Image_Day 28 8.jpg

Day 30

Day 30

Looks like it might have been a low pH locking out Cal and Mag, thanks to a user on growdiraies.com, have upped pH to 6.5, noticed improvement already. Hope they improve more.

Image_Day 30 1.jpg

Image_Day 30 2.jpg

Image_Day 30 3.jpg

Image_Day 30 4.jpg

Will start LST soon.

Day 38

Day 38

EC 0.9
pH 6.5

Having some issues with the ladies. I am not sure of the issue but I am bringing down my EC as I have seen better looking DSD's running 0.7EC which I am now aiming for. Unfortunately my tap needs a fair amount of pH down which is knocking up the EC of every top up.

Image_Day 38 1.jpg

Image_Day 38 2.jpg

Image_Day 38 3.jpg

Image_Day 38 4.jpg

Image_Day 38 5.jpg

Day 60

Day 60

Finally filliped the lights.

Experienced slow growth as I have not been using an extractor and was starving them of CO2. I have now made a CO2 fizz bucket using limestone and hydrochloric acid, which has been working well but it is not metered at all, so not sure exactly how much CO2 I am giving them.

I had issues with my plants when I decided to cull the minnows but the roots had become tangled up together so I had to leave two.

Not sure I will use this reservoir again unless I find some way to circulate the solution inside as I think I am getting dead spots in the corners and the drippers are not circulating the solution enough. I have started another grow 25 days ago in an identical tent, hopefully I can learn some lessons and get some bigger plants.

Will be doing some defoliation tonight.

Image_Day 60 1.jpg

Image_Day 60 2.jpg

Image_Day 60 3.jpg

Image_Day 60 4.jpg

Hi Douglas, thanks for your reply and taking the time to make that other post.

I have just written a long post to reply to you, however, I waited too long and got locked out of the website and lost it.

I was going for the full pH swing but was noticing some Calmag deficiencies and somebody on another forum suggested that I up my pH, which I did and saw beneficial results. I have attached a graph of my pH levels.

Screenshot 2020-04-08 at 11.29.04.jpg

I think one of the problems I faced with having such a large reservoir and only relying on the drippers for stirring up has been stagnant corners. I am going to be rigging up my pump to stir the solution more on my next grow.

I have read a number of your posts where you have touted the use of RO water and I like what you had to say and will be investing in an RO machine before too long. In the meantime I'll be using a mix of the dehuey water and tap. I will also be following your advice to lower my humidity which I've been running at 70% for seedlings and 65% for veg. I've now started flowering one tent and I've set it at 55%.

One of the other issues I had was my roots got tangled and when I decided to move one of the plants I was unable to so I hacked off the tangled roots and moved the plant. Now I have a bunch of dead roots sitting in my reservoir which I have been blasting with ozone occasionally to kill any bacteria.

On a positive note, when I first topped the plants I put the cuttings into small Rockwool cubes and into a container of plain tap water almost submerging the cubes, changing the water occasionally. I lost one of the plants because I was keeping them in the shade in the tent and there was little air flow (now the days are longer there sat on the windowsill) but all the others have roots growing out of the cubes and look like they'll be ready to go for the next grow, hopefully they will last the flowering period. What a simple way of taking clones.

Once again thanks for helping one of your fellow growers.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Hi Douglas, thanks for your reply and taking the time to make that other post.

I was going for the full pH swing but was noticing some Calmag deficiencies and somebody on another forum suggested that I up my pH, which I did and saw beneficial results. I have attached a graph of my pH levels.

View attachment 527914
Glad to help. :) My advice, if you want to run different pH ranges than I suggest, is to see how well the plants do your way with higher pH ranges for a week or so, and then switch to the 5.4-6.0 pH range I've outlined in my reservoir tending thread. See which one your plants like better yourself.

Many issues are pH related, so it's important to make sure you have pH taken care of first. When you maintain a regular cycle for 7-10 days, your plants will begin showing the maximum benefits with those settings. Be sure to give each change a full cycle or two for comparison purposes.

750ppm is the maximum I usually stay under with a 1K HPS. This is about 1.4 on your EC meter. I know this thread is about LEDs, and I know LEDs have different transpiration rates, and this definitely effects feed strengths, but I have a hard time believing you would need half strength nutes vs. more than normal.

Increase your nutrient strength and make sure your pH has a full and healthy swing for a week. Again, I don't know what this would be with your current 6.5pH range but I know mine works.

Calmag...
Though commonly talked about, you will not find a 'calmag' element listed on the periodic table of elements. There are no calmag deficiencies in plants. They can be deficient/toxic in calcium and/or magnesium, and each should be dealt with separately. *MOST* things which appear as toxicities/deficiencies are pH related and do not require any supplementation.

Magnesium
Maxibloom has enough magnesium for 'most' strains and environments. Some magnesium hungry strains will respond well to the addition of .5 to 1g of epsom salt per gallon. Use a magnesium foliar first though. If the foliar does not 'fix' what you believe is a magnesium deficiency, it's not a magnesium deficiency. Not to worry, .5/1g of epsom is not going to overbalance your sulfur in Maxibloom, but adding more most likely will. Fix your pH first, then add supplements where needed. ;)

Calcium
For the first few grows you have zero need to worry about calcium. I would spend much more of my time understanding pH and getting a personal habits routine going which works. Though I have not tested it yet, I believe MaxiBloom would benefit from additional calcium. I've seen some impressive changes with calcium in other situations. Calcium is another element which I believe needs individual attention, since the needs change with the environment and genetics there are no combo-bottled products which are appropriate. Cannabis quality is so easy to tear down with excesses of anything.

I think one of the problems I faced with having such a large reservoir and only relying on the drippers for stirring up has been stagnant corners. I am going to be rigging up my pump to stir the solution more on my next grow.
You'd be surprised how much it gets stirred, even with only a small pump and running a limited number of times a day. Be aware, the longer you run a mag drive pump, the more iron it eventually pulls out of the nutrient solution.

I have read a number of your posts where you have touted the use of RO water and I like what you had to say and will be investing in an RO machine before too long. In the meantime I'll be using a mix of the dehuey water and tap. I will also be following your advice to lower my humidity which I've been running at 70% for seedlings and 65% for veg. I've now started flowering one tent and I've set it at 55%.
You'll find very stable and predictable pH with the r/o water, and it's a good move to make. No experience with dehuey water, but 55% RH will grow you less mold for sure. :)

Have you looked into high-micron filtration for your intakes?

I am currently running 1EC, I had an initial problem with too much N at 1.2EC as the leaves were getting overly green. So I slowly dialled back. Then I had some rusty spots and later some Mag looking deficiencies. I did add some Calmag, not much and raised the pH which did seem to help. I am now slowly upping the EC from .7 to 1 and will go higher.

Here are the charts for my EC, PH, litres of transpiration and rez temp.

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 13.11.07.jpg

Some of the plants are looking pretty good, one in the corner is looking not so good.

In my other grow I have just started with only four plants and they are going really well so far, which was the case for this tent too. Started with .7 EC this time as I think it was too hot last time but I didn't get any burn. I do have some very red stems in this tent though.

I have Haleia pumps that I am leaving on 24/7.The power supply is in the tent so I can't switch on and off at my pleasure.

Thanks again for your help, with you on my side I can hopefully get this nailed.

Here is the other tent at day 25 from pulling the seeds out of their bags.

Image_Day 25 1.jpg

Douglas.Curtis

I am currently running 1EC, I had an initial problem with too much N at 1.2EC as the leaves were getting overly green.
This is due to your overly high pH and easy absorption of Nitrogen at those ranges. 15 years of dwc, and I stick with the pH ranges I recommend for very specific reasons.

Some of the plants are looking pretty good, one in the corner is looking not so good.
Is it first in line for incoming air?

In my other grow I have just started with only four plants and they are going really well so far, which was the case for this tent too. Started with .7 EC this time as I think it was too hot last time but I didn't get any burn. I do have some very red stems in this tent though.
Think about this for a moment... 10 day old seedlings (with the correct amount of light, heat, humidity, airflow) can tolerate full strength nutes just fine.

I have Haleia pumps that I am leaving on 24/7.The power supply is in the tent so I can't switch on and off at my pleasure.
Expect to see rust slowly accumulating on the bottom of your res. When enough gets pulled out you'll begin to see iron deficiencies.

It sure seems complicated until you understand it better. You're learning fast, congratulate yourself. :D

At the time I was raising the pH to deal with the Cal def, this was Day 28 https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8804918&postcount=24 At the time it was pH 6

*Is it first in line for incoming air?*

The air that comes in my tent comes in from everywhere as I have no dedicated inlet, but it was the one I chopped the roots off. the one next to it I snapped the manifold being a bit rough and was going to leave it so I didn't have to cut more roots off. that one has overtake the one in the corner oddly enough.

*Think about this for a moment... 10 day old seedlings (with the correct amount of light, heat, humidity, airflow) can tolerate full strength nutes just fine.*

In that case I am wondering if I was seeing deficiency because my nutes weren't strong enough. I really never saw a drop in EC and didn't start adding nutes late into flowering, partially to lower EC with the added water, I start with an EC of 0.6 and by the time I have added pH- the EC is starting to get up to .8 .9, so perhaps I am starving them, however, I saw no N def, the opposite in fact.

*Expect to see rust slowly accumulating on the bottom of your res. When enough gets pulled out you'll begin to see iron deficiencies.*

Understood.

*It sure seems complicated until you understand it better. You're learning fast, congratulate yourself.*

Thanks for the help. Perhaps you can walk me through my other tent. It's day 28 and the plants are growing well so far. D/N temp 75.2/68 RH 65% rez temp 21.4 pH 5.45 (last night) EC 0.8 (tap .5EC pH7.56)

Would you mind spending the time to impart some of your experience?

I'll tend plants soon and will get pics. Cheers.

Or you could help me on www. growdiaries. com https://growdiaries.com/explore?q_grower[]=35070 it is better setup for logging a grow.

Douglas.Curtis

At the time I was raising the pH to deal with the Cal def, this was Day 28 https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8804918&postcount=24 At the time it was pH 6
Yes, and as you suggest further down, the issue was too weak of solution instead of a specific deficiency.

it was the one I chopped the roots off.
Then it's responding normally. As long as there's enough roots she'll recover fine. :)

the EC is starting to get up to .8 .9, so perhaps I am starving them, however, I saw no N def, the opposite in fact.
At a pH of 6, Nitrogen is easy to pick up and be used by the plant, so even low N formulas can do fairly well. Remember the excessive Nitrogen at 6.5pH?

Thanks for the help. Perhaps you can walk me through my other tent. It's day 28 and the plants are growing well so far. D/N temp 75.2/68 RH 65% rez temp 21.4 pH 5.45 (last night) EC 0.8 (tap .5EC pH7.56)
I show up on your doorstep in the future and you hand me cannabis to try? Sure. Glad to help, even if that day never arrives. :D lol

Res temp 21.4. F? If so it's too cold, you want a minimum of 65F for nutrient absorption.

Dn temps and RH are fine, with 50% RH a target to shoot for the last few weeks of flower.

EC .8, with .5 of it being tap water elements, which leaves .3 for food. You're going to have to increase the nutrient strength. That's about 150ppm of nutes when full lighting (25-30wpsqft of LEDs) should need about 700 (1.4 EC) or more.

pH 5.45. This is good, and it should reach 6.0 in 7-10 days. Longer and there's too much nute solution for your wattage/space/plant-numbers. Shorter and it would help to increase the volume of nutrient solution you're using. Smaller res, faster pH rise. Larger res, slower pH rise. :)

My apologies, at this point dorkbook and icmag are my limit for time. Should you start another thread for this grow I'll be happy to participate. :) Let me know. :tiphat:

I think because I am using a nitrate based pH - and using quite a bit I am suffocating them. I have just ordered a RO filter to be here Mon.

Yes, and as you suggest further down, the issue was too weak of solution instead of a specific deficiency.

Then it's responding normally. As long as there's enough roots she'll recover fine. :)

She has done well but neither of those two in that corner are looking to bright.

Image_Day 63 3.jpg

At a pH of 6, Nitrogen is easy to pick up and be used by the plant, so even low N formulas can do fairly well. Remember the excessive Nitrogen at 6.5pH?

I show up on your doorstep in the future and you hand me cannabis to try? Sure. Glad to help, even if that day never arrives. :D lol

Not a problem, hopefully I can get it up to you standards. Drop me a line when you are in Blighty.

Res temp 21.4. F? If so it's too cold, you want a minimum of 65F for nutrient absorption.

Sorry 21.4°C, I am a C guy but was trying to accommodate your imperial ways, which is a little over but it's the best I can get with the lights turned up a bit.

Dn temps and RH are fine, with 50% RH a target to shoot for the last few weeks of flower.

What should I aim for in veg?

EC .8, with .5 of it being tap water elements, which leaves .3 for food. You're going to have to increase the nutrient strength. That's about 150ppm of nutes when full lighting (25-30wpsqft of LEDs) should need about 700 (1.4 EC) or more.

Really good points. Should I do this on the other tent too, the 28 day one. I am suspecting yes. I have just ordered a RO filter so I can quit licking around with this. I have pH 7.57 upstairs in the house and pH 8.2 downstairs.

pH 5.45. This is good, and it should reach 6.0 in 7-10 days. Longer and there's too much nute solution for your wattage/space/plant-numbers. Shorter and it would help to increase the volume of nutrient solution you're using. Smaller res, faster pH rise. Larger res, slower pH rise. :)

I have a 100l rez but am finding my pH unstable probably due to those dead roots that I cut off. I need to be a bit more patient when adding solution to as I don't probably wait for the mix to homogenise. Noted.

My apologies, at this point dorkbook and icmag are my limit for time. Should you start another thread for this grow I'll be happy to participate. :) Let me know. :tiphat:

Nah, that's fine. It's just set out specifically for grows and therefore easier to navigate. There is a lot of people need help on there.

Douglas.Curtis

Awesome! You're going to need pH up with r/o water. I've always used the potassium carbonate from GH and it works great. :)

You can do one tent and then the other, if you want to see the changes in one first. Might be useful, but the plants are definitely struggling.

Dead roots drop pH like a stone in a pond... yeah. Very difficult to deal with unless you dump and start fresh. In the future, when you separate plants be sure to cut off all the intertwined roots. If you're left with very few roots, hack off plant material to match. You'll be surprised how butchered a plant can get and still survive, as long as the roots and foliage are in close enough balance. :)

I do plan on traveling in the future at some point, so I'll expect you to have skilled up by then. ;) lol Progressing quickly, and you're going to love it. :D

Latest posts

Latest posts