What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st 2 pulls from passive MkIII purging.. WTF am I doing?

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I did GW. I had 70/30 pissing all over my scale. I even thought that because it's brass, that I could maybe reform the threads by torquing the stainless fitting over it to reshape it. Lost a big chunk of brass thread doing so. Getting a lot of flack elsewhere about my shitty carbon steel tank. Is it really that bad???

No, they are not THAT bad....

They can rust if you have water in your butane, butane maintenance is key to preventing that. After every couple runs, get your tank really cold, like below 32F and invert the tank, open your vapor port and any water will come out...

I just cant justify paying $1500 for a SS tank, when I can get a Manchester for $200. If I was at a legal lab, it would be different...

toohighmf

Veteran
Thanks RB. I'm going to buy a small stainless tank before converting an old propane tank. 1st I'm going to replace this Y valve to get back in the game.

Next question:

Is it ok to re flood my chamber to do a second run on the same material if I think there's plenty more to scrub? Can I re run material I ran last week if I saved and stored correctly? Is it worth trying?

Can I run through and recover, pour, and then pull a vac on the system again and reblast?
If I return to a full vac in recovery, can't I just reblast without pouring off?

krunchbubble

Veteran
Thanks RB. I'm going to buy a small stainless tank before converting an old propane tank. 1st I'm going to replace this Y valve to get back in the game.

Next question:

Is it ok to re flood my chamber to do a second run on the same material if I think there's plenty more to scrub? Can I re run material I ran last week if I saved and stored correctly? Is it worth trying?

Can I run through and recover, pour, and then pull a vac on the system again and reblast?
If I return to a full vac in recovery, can't I just reblast without pouring off?

Everyone has their own method, flooding twice is one of them....

I wouldn't rerun stuff that was once already run. I did it once and it was not worth the time or money spent on dry ice. Some people do though...

toohighmf

Veteran
The reason I ask, is because I ran a lb, and got 32g on the first run. Dumped it, packed the column and got 69g off the new run with the same material. Thinking I didn't pack the column evenly or I wasn't cold enough on the 1st run. Looking at the trash from it, it appeared to have a LOT of trichs left on it.
Yesterday when I had my mishap, I ran approx 1lb of tane though it, and got like 7g off about 520g. I don't want to throw it away, knowing I have barely even extracted anything. I'm def going to rerun this as it was short almost 4lbs. Does this sound right to do?

krunchbubble

Veteran
The reason I ask, is because I ran a lb, and got 32g on the first run. Dumped it, packed the column and got 69g off the new run with the same material. Thinking I didn't pack the column evenly or I wasn't cold enough on the 1st run. Looking at the trash from it, it appeared to have a LOT of trichs left on it.
Yesterday when I had my mishap, I ran approx 1lb of tane though it, and got like 7g off about 520g. I don't want to throw it away, knowing I have barely even extracted anything. I'm def going to rerun this as it was short almost 4lbs. Does this sound right to do?

Well if you didnt get it all the first run, I would do a second. 32 grams, you know there is more in there...

Im saying just dont run your material, get 20% yield and then run it a second time expecting similar results...

Ive never run a batch in the situation your in. Kinda curious myself..

toohighmf

Veteran
Copy that, Krunch. That's what I figured. I haven't totally isolated what I did differently to get such different numbers except pack and temperature. I'm going to re run all of it, as the 1st 2 runs I barely pulled 5%. I know there's a lot left. Trichs is trichs, and the material still has tons. Thanks!

toohighmf

Veteran
Finished some Dj short's blueberry x SFV og x trainwreck
Got 105g on 500gof scrib nug. 50 of it is budder, but the other 55g came out shatter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 10

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did GW. I had 70/30 pissing all over my scale. I even thought that because it's brass, that I could maybe reform the threads by torquing the stainless fitting over it to reshape it. Lost a big chunk of brass thread doing so. Getting a lot of flack elsewhere about my shitty carbon steel tank. Is it really that bad???

Carbon steel tanks work fine as long as you keep the water drained. They rust if you don't,

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Finished some Dj short's blueberry x SFV og x trainwreck
Got 105g on 500gof scrib nug. 50 of it is budder, but the other 55g came out shatter.

Why the heck is everyone putting up with this crap?

Here's HMK's thread detailing the history since 2005,

http://www.tokecity.com/forums/showthread.php?12-Oil-and-hash-pictures

Huge solid slabs of glass from pre vacuum tech, the old low and slow, what happened?

My simple vacuum purge technique works every time, the product never budders up, it remains the stable form of sap it was meant to be.

If I were to gear up for production, and I didn't get the same exact result, I'd look for any changes to the procedure, however small, and seemingly inconsequential that might be culpable.

Just a for instance, I always let my evaporating dish come fully up to at least room temp before even touching the oil. Sometimes after the dish is up to temp, I'll toss it in the vac chamber before scrapping, the idea being to remove any gross moisture and semi-volatiles (pentane, iso-pentane, etc.) before the scrape.

I believe I can take a sample of anyone's starting material, that wicked stuff that supposedly always produces a product that sooner of later waxes up, and get a stable sap from it, simply, with no tricks.

I'm adding pictures of some recently extracted BHO, the first three are just after I broke a chunk off from the virgin main patty which I had wrapped in parchment paper sealed up in the fridge, the second two are after it had come up to room temperature. To the best of my knowledge, it will not change state, it will remain a sticky sap, a matrix capable of stretching into a thread.

Simply stated, 115F down to -29.5" Hg for a few muffins until the bubbling slows way down. For the pictured BHO (main patty about 10g) it took about an hour of vacuum chamber time.

Attachments

• Ganesh
    Ganesh
    76.6 KB · Views: 23
  • P1020449.jpg
    P1020449.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 8
  • P1020450.jpg
    P1020450.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 10
  • P1020451.jpg
    P1020451.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 8
  • P1020452.jpg
    P1020452.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

tortabeech

I'm a CLS newb that bought an mkiii from terpp extractors and having similar problem to THMf's goopy/sap problem.
I recently viewed some videos on dewaxing, and figured the way terpp extractors instructed me on how to dewax, may have been possibly wrong.
Currently I pack a 3x36 dewaxing column and push TWO columns full of butane, the 2nd to push into my collection pot. But shouldn't I let the 1st column 'soak' in my dewaxing chamber, and instead of collecting that butane from the top, use my ball 'dump' valve in my reducer?? (I just literally ordered some of those micron 1 sock filters Gray Wolf mentioned earlier from dudadiesel).
Sorry to get off track, but if I had dewaxed properly, would I still run into there sap/goopy purge problems still??

toohighmf

Veteran
Happy new year! Quick question. I don't think I've been running enough solvent. I was told to run 4.9lbs of 70/30 isobutane/propane in my 3x24 column and 6x6 col pot with a 2" shatter platter. When using the terpp calculator, it appears that 4.9 was probably closer to just the collection pot, and not the filled column. When I try to calculate the spool & platter, it calculates as a packed column. How should I be calculating this? Also, going to add a 6x12" extension & second 3x24" to the mix to double the capacity. Obviously, the calculation isn't double it because of the shatter platter, but do I just calculate the spool as 6x12, or do I add the 2" platter?

krunchbubble

Veteran
Happy new year! Quick question. I don't think I've been running enough solvent. I was told to run 4.9lbs of 70/30 isobutane/propane in my 3x24 column and 6x6 col pot with a 2" shatter platter. When using the terpp calculator, it appears that 4.9 was probably closer to just the collection pot, and not the filled column. When I try to calculate the spool & platter, it calculates as a packed column. How should I be calculating this? Also, going to add a 6x12" extension & second 3x24" to the mix to double the capacity. Obviously, the calculation isn't double it because of the shatter platter, but do I just calculate the spool as 6x12, or do I add the 2" platter?

You just calculate the column amount, NOT the collection pot or spool....

toohighmf

Veteran
Really??? Dude.. I'm trippin. Reading all this conflicting shit on that FB group. People running #6-10 per elbow. I'm like yeah, I'm running 4.9.. no wonder my yields suck. Am I just using 1 column worth or am I doubling it?

krunchbubble

Veteran
Really??? Dude.. I'm trippin. Reading all this conflicting shit on that FB group. People running #6-10 per elbow. I'm like yeah, I'm running 4.9.. no wonder my yields suck. Am I just using 1 column worth or am I doubling it?

95% positive its just the column...

I run 9 lbs through a 3X36....

toohighmf

Veteran
Thanks krunch. I'm finding it difficult to believe these numbers are correct. If I'm
Putting 450-500g in my column, and it's a 3x24, how is this correct?

Attachments

• IMG_6829.jpg
    IMG_6829.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 10

Old Gold

My numbers may be slightly off due to significant figures and sources of data, but I calculated liquid n-butane density to 9.87 g/in^3. A 3" x 24" cylinder has a volume of: 169.64 in^3. That's all I find weird about the image you posted from Terpp's website. Isn't piping measured by the inner diameter already?
Regardless, at 143 in^3, the maximum volume of butane is 143 in^3 x 9.87 g/in^3 = 1411.41 g = 1.41 kg = 3.10 lbs

That 3.1 lbs of butane is a single column volume. I have required everything from a 3:1 ratio to a 7:1 ratio in order to process full yields, depending on the starting material (as I always aim for the shortest rinse/soak time). Separate your first 3.1 lbs from the second 3.1 lbs, from a third run of 3.1 lbs, and you should get a good idea of when to stop extracting such material.

toohighmf

Veteran
Old Gold, Thank you. In order to run 2+ volumes, I assume I'll need a bigger spool than my 6x6" to be able to collect and recover without sucking oil in to my recovery tank. Correct?

Old Gold

Old Gold, Thank you. In order to run 2+ volumes, I assume I'll need a bigger spool than my 6x6" to be able to collect and recover without sucking oil in to my recovery tank. Correct?

The volume of any vessel (cylindrical) can be calculated by:
V = (pi) x (r^2) x (h)
so
V = 3.14159 x (3 in.)^2 x 6 in.
V =3.14159 x (9 in^2) x 6 in = 169.646 in^3

I have been using a 12" deep collection pot with a hemisphere lid, so I can fill it easily 80% full (just over 9" filled) without risking of boiling over or splashing oil into the recovery line. For something as small as 6", I would not fill it as much. Stay closer to 1/2 to 2/3 full I would say, or judge by the sight glass if you have one on your collection pot. Your collection pot FULL TO THE BRIM would hold 9.87 g/in^3 x 169.646 in^3 = 1674.41 g = 1.674 kg = 3.69 lbs. Do not fill it this much.:biggrin:
At 2/3 capacity, it holds 1.1116 kg or 2.4552 lbs.

Another way to remember it is that in a 6" diameter cylinder, every inch of depth equates to 279 g butane. Every inch of depth in a 12" diameter column equates to 1116 g butane (4 times that of the 6" vessel - radius is squared in a cylinder's volume calculation, so twice the radius = 4 times the volume)

Are you recovering passively or with a pump? My pumps always create larger, more splashy bubbles than my passive recoveries, regardless of which I am doing more efficiently.

toohighmf

Veteran
Invaluable info, Old Gold. Thank you. I ordered a 6x12 spool and a clamp/gasket to either use as is or add to my existing 6x6. Should be good to go until I build my next rig. I'm running passive for now while getting my feet wet.

Latest posts

Latest posts