What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st 2 pulls from passive MkIII purging.. WTF am I doing?

killa12345

The material was approx 1 week dry, 2 weeks old. It was greenhouse bottom nugs and trim. I froze it for a couple days. Figure 20 days from harvest. I can't flip because this shit is totally stuck to the parchment. It's not really reactive anymore at all. A few co2 bubbles around the edges but will not harden or "roll" off by using the corner of the table to loosen off the parchment.

I use these mats in my oven when i do a sample run of a material and it comes out not stable.

https://www.amazon.com/VacMat-Vacuu...e=UTF8&qid=1478645511&sr=8-4&keywords=vac+mat

dont use those with really stable shit cause its hard to get off clean in slabs. I use parchment for stable shit and those mats for non stable shit....makes the flip and getting off a breeze

montroller

The material was approx 1 week dry, 2 weeks old. It was greenhouse bottom nugs and trim. I froze it for a couple days. Figure 20 days from harvest. I can't flip because this shit is totally stuck to the parchment. It's not really reactive anymore at all. A few co2 bubbles around the edges but will not harden or "roll" off by using the corner of the table to loosen off the parchment. How to get it off the parchment? Freeze and then try? Any advice?

It could also be a high terpene content. I like to sandwich my slab between parchment then stick it in the freezer to flip for the extra sticky stuff. Just don't leave it in there for very long or you will get moisture contamination when you pull it out. Sometimes I have to flip like that for a day or 2 before it is stable enough to come off the parchment but it almost always gets there unless it is old and decarboxylated.

If you purged a whole week without flipping it probably won't react much but once you flip it watch and you'll probably see it muffin again.

toohighmf

Veteran
Killa12345 I have several of those, but this patty is about 14x10" in my 18" vac purger tamale pot.

Montroller: I'll give it a try. Initially, I made too small a "tray" and I had some overflow to the back side of the parchment which has only complicated things a bit. Stuff stays frozen for about 5 seconds before it turns to honey taffey again. I'll throw some parchment up top before I freeze, Thanks.

killa12345

Killa12345 I have several of those, but this patty is about 14x10" in my 18" vac purger tamale pot.

Montroller: I'll give it a try. Initially, I made too small a "tray" and I had some overflow to the back side of the parchment which has only complicated things a bit. Stuff stays frozen for about 5 seconds before it turns to honey taffey again. I'll throw some parchment up top before I freeze, Thanks.

That mat is 16x14...plenty for that slab.

prune

Veteran
When your oil doesn't want to let go of the paper I like to sandwich the patty with a second sheet of parchment, flip, and then massage the back of the sticky side with a flat piece of dry ice. You can usually start on one end and slowly lift and snap the first sheet off with a little work.

montroller

^^^ probably way better than using a freezer. Going back and forth from the ovens to the freezer actually makes your hands static hash magnets... It's pretty sad when a half gram chunk flies off the slab and wraps around your thumb instantly melting into your pores so you can't even dab it... :(

toohighmf

Veteran
I like the dry ice technique. Very smart. I'm purging about 2' from the fridge. I've flipped about 15x now using the freezer to loosen the parchment. Still pretty tacky at room temp, but not nearly as bad as before the flip. Had a few good muffins, but dropping on its own. I don't know what's going on in this first pic, but the stuff went from a nice translucent amber product to this oily waxy stuff. I figured I'd whip it and raise the temps to 120 for a wax, but after much whipping and removing from the vac, and placing under heat. It's turned brown and stays a very thick goop. Did I cook it to oil?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 10

montroller

Sounds like your stuff has a lot of terps in it which is good but can make things difficult like having to use the freezer to flip and not letting your stuff wax up all the way.

toohighmf

Veteran
Thanks Montroller. You think this stuff is going to wax up? It's just this goopy stuff that when whipped just returns to goop. I used my oil slick pad for it and it's stuck to it worse than the other stuff.

toohighmf

Veteran
Think I just had too much ptfe tape on my liquid port on my solvent tank. Just cross threaded it, and butane was pissing out. Can I run through my vapor end? I'm in the middle of a run... FML!!! Can I replace the just the valves portion, or do I need a whole new tank? So pissed right now!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Think I just had too much ptfe tape on my liquid port on my solvent tank. Just cross threaded it, and butane was pissing out. Can I run through my vapor end? I'm in the middle of a run... FML!!! Can I replace the just the valves portion, or do I need a whole new tank? So pissed right now!

You shouldn't need PTFE tape for a flare connection.

toohighmf

Veteran
Figures! So now that it's boogered, can I replace the vapor/liquid valve, or need I buy a new tank?

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Figures! So now that it's boogered, can I replace the vapor/liquid valve, or need I buy a new tank?

Ha, think I just saw you post this on Facebook...

Yes , you can buy another valve from centrytool. There is a thread on here, on how to take it off the tank...

toohighmf

Veteran
Yo Krunch. That was me. I'm pretty fucking embarrassed by it. I'm currently questioning as to whether or not I'm savvy enough to be safely operating my cls. I'll get that one. Thanks KB

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Yo Krunch. That was me. I'm pretty fucking embarrassed by it. I'm currently questioning as to whether or not I'm savvy enough to be safely operating my cls. I'll get that one. Thanks KB

Naw dude, dont be....

That kat was giving you a hard time, he was being a dick. I rarely ask questions on there because of the backlash that you got...

To run a CLS takes a lot of knowledge if you have no idea how to run it, its a completely knew skill to learn. It took me 8 sessions to get it down to where I can do a complete a run by myself...

Im not an expert, but I know what im doing. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I wish someone would of gave me help when I was learning, people tend to be dicks about letting info out...

Im just starting to get into the distillate game, so im in the same boat as you on that level...

superglue

distillate is easy and a lot safer then using a cls
let me get a few more posts so i can do pm's and i'll walk you though it,theory and practical execution

toohighmf

Veteran
Naw dude, dont be....

That kat was giving you a hard time, he was being a dick. I rarely ask questions on there because of the backlash that you got...

To run a CLS takes a lot of knowledge if you have no idea how to run it, its a completely knew skill to learn. It took me 8 sessions to get it down to where I can do a complete a run by myself...

Im not an expert, but I know what im doing. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I wish someone would of gave me help when I was learning, people tend to be dicks about letting info out...

Im just starting to get into the distillate game, so im in the same boat as you on that level...

Krunch, thank you. I've done 7 runs so far, all by myself. I've collected my info from these threads, Gray Wolfs posts or his site, YouTube videos from nuts like Bret Maverick, and now the FB groups. I'm running passive so things are pretty simple. Mechanically speaking, I used to design and build snowboard tooling like pneumatic bladder and vacuum presses. I've built my share of rooms, and grew up in a machine shop. I should've known better than to use ptfe, and it's embarrassing; and those fucks dogged everything from my steel tank to being too cheap to replace it. I'm getting better, but it just seems like it's 1 thing or another that's keeping me from being successful.
Curious to this distillate biz for sure!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Have you tried just taking the tape off and trying without it?

Yes, "y" valves are available separately. Check Century Tool and Equipment.

toohighmf

Veteran
I did GW. I had 70/30 pissing all over my scale. I even thought that because it's brass, that I could maybe reform the threads by torquing the stainless fitting over it to reshape it. Lost a big chunk of brass thread doing so. Getting a lot of flack elsewhere about my shitty carbon steel tank. Is it really that bad???

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not about to provide all the posts on the subject, here's a few,

A6 Grower, "My tanks have had valves stem seals go bad before. Simple transfer of solvent to another tank and replace the valves makes an easy fix."

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=6686855&highlight=replace+valve#post6686855

A6 Grower, "Did you check your tank before you distilled your gas into it? Ive see quite a few "new" tanks that are pretty dirty and greasy inside. Go get yourself a new recovery tank, open it up and look inside. Make sure its clean, pour some ISO or hexane in and shake it up, dump it all out, pull a vacuum for 24 hrs on it to fully dry it. Now distill your contaminated solvent from your dirty tank into your new one. I distill at 60F, theres really no reason to go higher. It also makes it easier at the end to stop when you have a small puddle of liquid left. Pour the last bit out or just let it evap in a safe place. Clean everything up and your should be good. You can clean your original recovery tank and now you'll have two. which is very handy for multiple things. ALSO make sure you cleaned all your ball valves!! Bhogart has some dirty greasy ball valves!! Also dont every take advice from them on anything, i've heard so much wrong information from them. I like their machines, as they are easy to add onto and modify but they as a business suck"

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7221528&highlight=recovery+tank+valves#post7221528

Rickys bong, "Rather than buy recovery tanks, I buy new propane tanks and then buy the recovery tank valves separately. The original valve is discarded, and I make a dip tube to length and put the new recovery tank valve on after cleaning. This way if you wanted, the dip tube can be cut short so as never to suck up crap.

Take the propane tank valve off, inspect inside and then put a liter of acetone inside. Than comes the fun part, shaking the crap out of it... With big tanks it requires two people.
We do this twice and pour the acetone into a clean white rag to see what comes out.

If the tank looks less than perfect inside I put some ball bearings in with the acetone to loosen any weld debris.

Sometimes it takes three or four washings to clean, but at least I can shine a light inside and get a good look.

Either use a big strap wrench or get a ratcheting cargo tie-down and anchor the tank to something solid (fence post, light pole) to get the valve out. Heat is a must to loosen the sealant.

I'd be a bit wary of the Chinese stainless tanks to be honest. They have a very solid track record of polishing stainless bits on the outside while the insides look like crap...

Peace

RB

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=6968396&highlight=recovery+tank+valves#post6968396

Latest posts

Latest posts