What's new

16/12 cycle

Chonkeyfire2

interesting stuff.

But how about this experiment?:
Graft an auto-flowering strain unto a normal flowering strain host. When the auto strain starts producing flowering hormones, some of it may be transmitted to the host. In theory, the normal flowering host should be able to flower under unconventional light schedules with less problems.

There has been experiments showing graft transmission of flowering hormones:

"Nicotiana sylvestris is a long-day plant and Nicotiana tabacum, var. Maryland Mammoth (M.M.) is a short-day plant."
"If Nicotiana sylvestris, for example, is cultivated under short-day conditions, does it not develop flowers, but if a leaf of a Nicotiana tabacum, M.M. plant that was cultivated under short-day conditions is grafted to Nicotiana sylvestris, then it is stimulated to flower. This means that the Nicotiana tabacum, M.M.-leaf had produced a substance that was transferred to the recipient after grafting and that caused its flower formation."

*mistress*

Veteran
interesting stuff.

But how about this experiment?:
Graft an auto-flowering strain unto a normal flowering strain host. When the auto strain starts producing flowering hormones, some of it may be transmitted to the host. In theory, the normal flowering host should be able to flower under unconventional light schedules with less problems.

There has been experiments showing graft transmission of flowering hormones:

"Nicotiana sylvestris is a long-day plant and Nicotiana tabacum, var. Maryland Mammoth (M.M.) is a short-day plant."
"If Nicotiana sylvestris, for example, is cultivated under short-day conditions, does it not develop flowers, but if a leaf of a Nicotiana tabacum, M.M. plant that was cultivated under short-day conditions is grafted to Nicotiana sylvestris, then it is stimulated to flower. This means that the Nicotiana tabacum, M.M.-leaf had produced a substance that was transferred to the recipient after grafting and that caused its flower formation."
nice... just curious :chin:

what are the appeals of auto-flowering plants?
have not figured out appeal.

enjoy your garden!

J

JackTheGrower

I was thinking a PLC and relays would be an interesting way to control multiple lights.

Anyone a fan of 14/10?

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
if electrodes were wired and a human cut/culled a plant, the other remaining plants would have an electro-chemical reaction to the same human upon entrance to the room... per readily available literature...

Thats plant fear. That's how I control them and keep 'em from rising up and smoking me.

I'm a bit sceptical about some of this stuff.. By which organs does a plant detect sound and how does it process that info to differentiate between a screech and soothing sounds?

Chonkeyfire2

enjoy your garden!

hmm...You know something? I don't really know. lol. In most cases, I'd rather grow normal strains.

But i do like dwarf plants(stealth). I like the idea of planting auto dwarfs where people would never think of finding a pot plant. Like maybe planting some behind bushes a couple yards away from a road, park, or something. You know places where people pass by everyday but never actually stopping by to look around.
Also, with autos it will be easier to harvest outdoors during summertime or shortly after.

I guess if the experiment works, then one could flower a normal plant on 16/8 or 18/6 without hermie and re-veg problems. The plant may yield more due to more light hours. It may also(if it works) help people who are having trouble making a sativa bloom. Grafting a few indica or auto on parts of the sativa may help it flower earlier.

*mistress*

Veteran
LJB said:
No idea why I posted that sound wave information to this thread.

Anyways, back to your topic. Have you tried 8/12 for pre-flower and/or 18/14 for flowering?

This quote is from another forum. Haven't tried either yet myself.
no, not familiar w/ that lighting regime...
where is the link/combined data from?

thx for stopping by...

Thats plant fear. That's how I control them and keep 'em from rising up and smoking me.
rotfl...:D... gotta do something to keep those subs in line...;)
I'm a bit sceptical about some of this stuff.. By which organs does a plant detect sound and how does it process that info to differentiate between a screech and soothing sounds?
book:
the secret life of plants
by peter Tompkins, christopher bird

provides plenty of data about how & to what extent...
dont have entire book currently, to direct quote from. was a studious read many moons ago...
here is a link to a few excerpts...
This "Concepts Table" is to speed up access to those points ofspecial relevance to electronic harassment targets who are trying to developdetection, jamming, and shielding countermeasures. This table doesn't appear in the book itself.
http://www.raven1.net/seclife.htm#FLATLINE
Anyone a fan of 14/10?
yes!

each plant has its own critical period of darkness to initiate & continue flowering.
prefer to find ea plants' by gradually moving lights back by 30 min a day. from 24/0-20/4-18/6, then 17.5/5.5, etc, etc. until around 10/14-11/13...

while programmable logic chip will work real well... did 1st experiments in 16/12 by hand, w/ old standard timer w/ reg+green trippers. moved back daily...

Chonkeyfire2 said:
But i do like dwarf plants(stealth). I like the idea of planting auto dwarfs where people would never think of finding a pot plant. Like maybe planting some behind bushes a couple yards away from a road, park, or something. You know places where people pass by everyday but never actually stopping by to look around.
Also, with autos it will be easier to harvest outdoors during summertime or shortly after.
seems these are traits that can be bred into standard plants...
have not visited autoflower section much, but prefer big trees that take long to veg - to get big. auto-anything may give tech difficulties to that process.

enjoy your garden!

ibjamming

Veteran

enjoy your garden!

Perpetual harvest without separate veg/flower rooms. The problem is...most auto flowering plants don't have the desirable traits that people want. To have a "regular" plant flowering in 18/6 would be a "holy grail" type accomplishment.

*mistress*

Veteran
digitals... or, counters...

or, by hand, w/ regular generic timer... adjust wedge/ticker daily, 16/12.
just 6 - 28 hour days... in 1 wk...
7*24=168... 168/6=28... 16+12=28...

enjoy your garden!

nevermind any of the nonsense I typed - I am exhausted and sober! I meant to say 16/8 16/12 makes total sense and I will be trying it for sure. Thanks.

*mistress*

Veteran
they are supposed to be flowered under 16/12, not vegged under it...
veg under 24/0-22-2, no less than 20/4...

then switch;)

enjoy your garden!

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
I've grown this way for years, 24/0,20/4 and always had a good grow. But I do like to flower under 12/12 it's tried and true.

No luck with the digital timer, you would have to reset it peridically at best but I don't think it'd work at all. There have got to be ready made timers available to do by the hour and not time. Or, anyone know how to make one?

*mistress*

Veteran
No luck with the digital timer, you would have to reset it peridically at best but I don't think it'd work at all. There have got to be ready made timers available to do by the hour and not time. Or, anyone know how to make one?

1 week = 168 hrs (see legend)
in standard week, there are 7 days, usually begining on sunday, ea containing roughly 24 hrs... (though, to be accurate, there are 3 manners to measure length of 'day'...)

so...

we have,

7*24=168

168 total hours in a given calendar week...

these hrs can be manipulated in many manners. for this pursuit, can divide the week into six (6) twenty-eight (28) hour days.

also, since timers dont usually get made for such week. may adjust ordinary, regular, standard timer w/ wedges (trips) like this...

for this example, day 1 of the 16/12 light cycle begin on sunday, @ 7pm... w/
using generic, simple mechanical device.

schedule for full 6 day week of 16 on/12 off light cycle:

day '1' | sun 7p - light set on 16hr > mon 11a off > 11p = 28t >

day '2' | mon 11p - light set on 16hr > tue 3p off > 12hr = 28t >

day '3' | wed 3a - light set on 16hr > 7p wed off > 12hr = 28t >

day '4' | thur 7a - light set on 16hr > thur 11p off > 12hr = 28t >

day '5' | fri 11a - light set on 16hr > sat 3a off > 12hr = 28t >

day '6' | sat 3p - light set on 16hr > sun 7a off > 12hr = 28t

...............................6*16=96........6*12-72.............6*28=168

week 2 of 6-day week flowering begins:

day '1' | sun 7p - light set on 16hr >>>

(repeat/alter ^ sequence)...

note that even after running 16/12 cycle, that wind up @ dark period on sunday @ ~>7p, right before lights came on to start 1st week... should be same thru out flowering. even though only running '6 days';)...

168=(7*24)|168=(6*(16+12))... =168...

so... have made full cycle... using same 168 hrs, just divided into different 'on'/'off' cycles...

can change the regular wedges, or pull regular trips @ any of the given on/off points, to correct for regular 24hr day on timer...

modify template to fit schedule...

*legend
= is equals
* is multiplication
hrs is hours
wk is week(s)
t is total

hope this helps.

enjoy your garden!

RIght, but I don't trust myself to stay on top of it on a daily basis and I don't want to jerk them around. I think that I'll hold off until I can get a plc and an old computer. But, I'll definitely go to the 20/4 veg or 24/0 - which do you think is better.

*mistress*

Veteran
24/0 to start... 1-4 weeks.
once new growth begin, eliminate all mottled, damaged, diseased leaves... if any.

then 22/2, 21/3, or 20/4...

if switch from 24/0-20/4, seedlings may show sex as well. espcially if topped @ same moment (after 5th vertical node).

the 4hrs dark also help w/ elongation, or building of more shoot matter to support closer internodes from more light;).

this may be helpful:
Application of Nano PLC In A Growroom
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99252

enjoy your garden!

24/0 to start... 1-4 weeks.
once new growth begin, eliminate all mottled, damaged, diseased leaves... if any.

then 22/2, 21/3, or 20/4...

if switch from 24/0-20/4, seedlings may show sex as well. espcially if topped @ same moment (after 5th vertical node).

the 4hrs dark also help w/ elongation, or building of more shoot matter to support closer internodes from more light;).

this may be helpful:
Application of Nano PLC In A Growroom
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99252

enjoy your garden!

Thanks Mistress! I'm amazed at the variety of topics you have knowledge in.

Latest posts

Latest posts