What's new

16/12 cycle

snipe420

I grow inside and out and my bubba never got big inside but out was huge. The only thing not the same was the light. Outside when done is getting 12 hours and 8 min and starts on 14 hours 45 min. So I budded it on 14/10 dropping to 12/12 over 8 weeks. The outcome on all my fast outdoor was the same. It got way way bigger just like outside in the same amount of time. 12/12 is just a standard and not good for all strains. I just wonder how many strains got tossed for not having big yields when it was just grown under to little light. I look at it this way if you grow a strain that buds under 12 hours for just 8 it would suffer too so y bud a 14 hour strain under just 12. If your plant is getting done outside with more then 12 hours best bump up that light for bigger buds. How far I don't know yet but 14 at least so 16/12 is not far off for some strains anyway.

*mistress*

Veteran
ideally, start @ 20/4, & reduce light by :30 daily, or every 48hrs... until reproductive organs profusely appear & develop.

yes...
ea cultivar has its own critical dark period to initiate & sustain flower... most seem just go to 12/12...
however, if try, as member snipe420 posted, start flower under 14/10, many will start flower, esepcially s's...

if veg under 20+, or 18/6, if lower light by 30 min daily, & stop when glands appear...then that seem to be critical dark-period - for that strain.

requires set aside moments to actually test ea 'keeper' cut. but if keeper, should know exact flower period, exact light required & exact nute/water required.

if going from bean, or run diff cuts ea garden cycle... more difficult to dial.

some even show hair @ 15/9...
& thru 'evolution', should be able to influence this, to shorten required light period... if run same cultivar over & over, plant will adapt & slowly alter its reaction to dark... genetic drift can be :yes: phenom, too!

enjoy your garden!

full time daddy
Veteran
i have ran test on light time's, my out come was. if you cut the light hr's per day you have to make up for it with over all day's flowered in the end......
with that said, there is some strains that like less hr's of light and do much better this way just like any experiment, play with your strain and learn what is best for your plant....
i know if you dont give them plenty of light they start to look like this... yes it's a nute issue induced from not having light.

*mistress*

Veteran
i have ran test on light time's, my out come was. if you cut the light hr's per day you have to make up for it with over all day's flowered in the end......
?

thread is primarily about adding more light hrs during flowering, while maintaining minimum dark-period - required by that cultivar -to continue fully flowering...
with that said, there is some strains that like less hr's of light and do much better this way just like any experiment, play with your strain and learn what is best for your plant....
i know if you dont give them plenty of light they start to look like this... yes it's a nute issue induced from not having light.
again, if read thread from 1st post... thread is about adding more light hrs to fruiting light schedule, while keeping minimum dark hrs...
for some plant, may be 12 hrs, for some, may only be 8hrs, 58min dark, to maintain full flower...

thanks for stopping by...

enjoy your garden!

*mistress*

Veteran
from my understanding, 12/12 works best. dunno if that helps :-/
'best', meaning?

'best', as in better than??

'best', as opposed to???

what other light cycles, other than 12/12 (for flowering) have
member ZoeFresssh666 tried - for full cycle?
results, as compared control (12/12)?

for ea & every cut?

same w/ pure s's?
& pure i's?

maybe, in imagination, found that s's require less dark than i's to start & continue flowering, generally.

enjoy your garden!

Wow, what is that nute issue? Too much N? I've had that happen a lot but only on one strain, you think it's possible that strain needed more light? It always does really well under 18-24 but curls like that in 12/12. You might have just changed my life!

edit - the branch structure also goes kinda limp in 12/12

Well, I know that this isn't exactly on topic but after the post about the nute issue from too little light, I bumped my flower tent up to 14 hours (it was 4 wks in) then I added a cutting on the 23rd and it is now showing bud set strong (under led's no less.) It is under it's own led unit and I did use bud blood - which maybe really does help?

*mistress*

Veteran
16/8, 15/9, 14/10... ~9hrs dark required for bloom...

16/8, 15/9, 14/10... ~9hrs dark required for bloom...

after trying several light regimes & tests, etc, etc & researching the topic, found that most cultivars only require 9-10hrs dark to commence flowering...

tests, methods & why
veg - 24/0 4 wks
veg - 20/4 4 wks

prefer tree to get 3x3 before flower, so pre-veg 24/0, veg 20/4...

fiv different cultivars... same cuts r@n over, over, over, etc... so tyme to experiment!
cuts previously tested for tranny-traits, hermie, drought/heat stress, etc...

so... after finding 16/12 to work for making very large in same moments as flowering, try to adjust to minimum rewuirements of darkness...

methods & materials

lights
cheapo wedge tymers

starting veg (@ end of pre-veg)
20/4

step 1

turn back to 19/5

results:

most vigourus veg regime... characterized by balanced shoot formation & tight nodal spacing. not too leaf/stems formed. seem more vigourus & lush than even 20/4...

step 2
turn to standrard 18/6...
results:
more stretching vs shoot/nodal formation

step 3

prep for bl00m, increase dark tyme by 30 min/48hrs...
results:
17:30/6:30... veg continues
17/7...veg continues
16:30/7:30...veg continues
16/8 initiates flowering...

@ approximately 16/8 light/dark, for 48hrs, female sexual organs forms appear @ terminal apendages (tops), on all f!ve distinct varieties... not pronounced on day 1 of 16/8, but on day 2, of 16/8, the pist!ls were sustained... partial withering of p!stils on 1 of 5 varieties (flower seem forced, but un-sustained @ 16/8, for that variety)...

research:

b!g b00k of b%ds, e.r0senth@l
ch: when will your outd00r pl@nt mature?

excerpts:
for instance, on june 16, close to june 22, the longest day of the year and the first day of summer, there are 9:30 hours of darkness at the 35th latitude.... the dark period is 9 hours....

...at the 50th parallel...and the 52nd parallel have 7:49 and 7:27 hours of darkness respectively...

a variety...ripens on october 15th and matures in 70 days indoors. counting back on the latitude chart you see that on august 1, about 75 days before ripening, the plant triggered on 8 1/2 hours darkness...

along the 40th parallel or further south, the dark period never gets below 9 hours darkness... the variety will be triggered to flower almost as soon as it is placed outside...

conclusion

indoor plants can be forced to flower in as little as 8 hours consecutive/continuous darkness.... but preferably 9 hours consecutive darkness seems adequate to sustain flowering.

this seems to indicate that indoor plants are still very adaptive (ind00rs) & can be further influenced to reduce required dark periods, by running progressively shorter dark cycles, w/ same cultivar, over generations....

either/or, 15/9, or 14.5/9.5, or 14/10 seems adequate for entire season, though some may only need 9hrs darkness/24hr cycle to establish & sustain bloom cycle... 12/12, w/ 12 hours uninterrupted dark, seem not required... 2 more hours of light can be added to flowering days...
:2cents:

*notes*

not for new gardener w/ new cut...tech for gardenrs w/ same cut over gens, that desire maybe alternative flower tech, that provide more light (energy) & still sustain flowering...

may slightly extend flowering, but @ any point, dark can be increased by :30min, or 1hr per 24-48hrs...

gradually increasing/decreasing light hrs, by :15-:30 min per 24hr period seem to reduce strees of altering internal hormones, etc... smoother transition, maybe...

discussion...........................