What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

dudin

Finally pics without the HPS on. Three more weeks to go.

wgvm0p.jpg

25r2oh3.jpg

Edit: Full grow. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=243356&page=6

darkvade420

Hi guys I'm just dropping a little 1 month flowering update
(4 plants - other 3 plants are younger than that):

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=39279&pictureid=953830&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=39279&pictureid=953829&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=39279&pictureid=953831&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=39279&pictureid=953827&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=39279&pictureid=953825&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

when all rigged up and leaves barely touching (more spaced than they are in the tent of course) they cover an area of 160x35cm of canopy, give or take, pots (20cm) excluded.

They're pretty at the same height also: almost touching the tent's ceiling. I also may pull one before time because I'm pretty out of space here lol...

they may be little late because of heavy training, change of bulb (sylvania > GiB Lighting), high temps 30°... for now they fit, but I'll probably pull one out if I want the other 6 to finish comfortably.

gotta love the 150 <3
c ya!

Great looking set up gotta say im lovin that vert bro gw!

darkvade420

This might sounds like a dumb question!

This might sounds like a dumb question!

I was wondering if anyone knows about buying seeds online these days? is it legal to buy which companies are the best for legality and low chances of troubles? let me know what you know thanks.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I was wondering if anyone knows about buying seeds online these days? is it legal to buy which companies are the best for legality and low chances of troubles? let me know what you know thanks.

Seeds aren't illegal in the UK but they are in the US. Shipping seeds to your grow address isn't the best option but some do it. If your seeds are nabbed you'll likely get the empty package with green tape indicating the contents were seized.

I'd consider the bay or boo. They're legit and typically have decent options.

V

veclo

Hello

I am a first time grower and I recently came across a couple of 90cmwidthx40depthx90height cabinets. I was planning on buying a 150w hps lamp to hang it verticaly and putting maybe 2 plants in the cabinet.

I also intend to use the LST technique since i am kind of limited by height.

What do you guys think, is 150w the right choice?

V

veclo

I forgot to add that i think 12/12 from seed will be the best choice for a beginner like me, agreed?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Sounds like it would work well. If I did the math right your footprint is almost 3.9 square feet. That's approaching 250 territory. That said, the vert arrangement might be efficient enough to go with a 150. A 150 will be easier to cool.

12/12 from seed is a viable grow method. You might find that some strains don't yield well (less a nominal veg period) but some of em will throw either way.

V

veclo

Thanks DB,

i was also thinking of putting 2 computer vents in there one at the bottom and one at the top, is that enough air flow to cool a 150?
Also, regarding strains, from what i can tell at this point, buying an indica seed will be more beneficial for me since theyre supposed to be shorter than sativas and more suitable for beginners?

V

veclo

Also, if you could direct me to some 150w 12/12 vert scrog diary i would greatly appreciate it, i cant seem to find any good ones.

Max Yields

I'm happy to say I just added another 150 watt hps to my stealth setup. That makes for 300 total watts! Now I have two strains to harvest every few months from this here stealth grow. My grow is for personal use only & I'm sure I can pull 6-8+ Oz's every harvest (2-3 Months) now easily.
Can't wait to see how my C99 Hybrid & e$ko's Shiva turn out.
They are both in 5 gallon containers, & thriving so far, 2 weeks into flower....I'm ready to rock with my 2 150's!!! Lets see what I can do now..!!

Grow on everyone & keep those hps' alive & glowing with their warm warming glow!

willy bibbit

ICMag Donor
hallo

i always grow 12/12 all the way .
i want to keep the plants short and grow under mh 150 watts till the stretch is gone .
and if you scrog i think you better give um a couple of weeks 18/6 .
i use 4 computerfans and a ruckfan

picture.php

i put the ruckvent in a box to lower the noise .

picture.php

picture.php

keep em green
willy

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Thanks DB,

i was also thinking of putting 2 computer vents in there one at the bottom and one at the top, is that enough air flow to cool a 150?
Also, regarding strains, from what i can tell at this point, buying an indica seed will be more beneficial for me since theyre supposed to be shorter than sativas and more suitable for beginners?

Also, if you could direct me to some 150w 12/12 vert scrog diary i would greatly appreciate it, i cant seem to find any good ones.

My personal preference would be to use both fans as exhaust. "Passive" intake requires no fan. With a 150, you should have little trouble keeping temps within 6 degrees f of ambient.

If you choose to go with passive intake, you need 2x the area of exhaust.

One way is to cut two equal-size intake holes for every exhaust hole. Another way is to figure the area of the exhaust and configure the intake area any way you wish.

For example, a 4" pc fan hole equals 12.56 square inches. You would need roughly 25.12 square inches of passive intake. A 9" x 3" rectangular hole would do the trick.

One thing to think about is blocking any light from your intake and exhaust holes. Tramp light will stress your plants to seed. A tiny source can mess things up.

A carbon filter not only scrubs the smell, it'll block light from entering through the exhaust hole. An easy way to trap light for the intake is a darkroom louver and there are several other ways if you're interested. Just let us know.

You're right about hybrids taking less time to flower, especially if they're indica leaners. Some sats won't take forever and some seem like they'll never finish.

Not sure who has a vert journal atm. I'd check out the vert forum and the micro forum. You can type "vertical" in the advanced search and arrange returns by thread title. That should be enough to direct your search a little better.

V

veclo

Amazing info guys thanks a lot.

Regarding the intake holes, what other means do you know to cover the hole? My closest neighbour is roughly 100m away so I don't think ill need a carbon filter for the smell. The intake holes sohuld be at the bottom of the box i assume?

I've seen in some journals that people put an ac fan under the vertical light to push the hot air up, do i need to do that even with an 150w?

By the way, i read somewhere the MH lamps are better for vegging, is it worth buying another mh lamp or just go with hps from seed to harvest(since i will be doing the 12/12 technique)

rootidec

Veteran
Amazing info guys thanks a lot.

Regarding the intake holes, what other means do you know to cover the hole? My closest neighbour is roughly 100m away so I don't think ill need a carbon filter for the smell. The intake holes sohuld be at the bottom of the box i assume?

I've seen in some journals that people put an ac fan under the vertical light to push the hot air up, do i need to do that even with an 150w?

By the way, i read somewhere the MH lamps are better for vegging, is it worth buying another mh lamp or just go with hps from seed to harvest(since i will be doing the 12/12 technique)

I find the fan under the 150W, pushing up, very useful to avoid the hot spot around the bulb.
My intake is passive and my exhaust is a 150mm noisy inline vent.
...and still it's quite warm in there.

My cab is in a tiny room though, so the room itself heats up, and I have a 110W pll also in the cab: so if your room have cool temps, and since you have a little more of vertical headroom compared to mine (60 >> 90cm) I guess you can try with exhaust only, but be prepared! bye ;)

V

veclo

Like i've said before my cab would be in the basement, where it stays relatively cold even during the summer, i'm thinking more of the lines that it'll be too cold in there rather than too hot :D

I guess i'll just have to try it out and see, i understand it can be hard for you guys to give me info about a cab you know basicly nothing about.

Thanks for the amazing help and if you have anything to add, please do, i'm looking for any information at this point.

rootidec

Veteran
Like i've said before my cab would be in the basement, where it stays relatively cold even during the summer, i'm thinking more of the lines that it'll be too cold in there rather than too hot :D

I guess i'll just have to try it out and see, i understand it can be hard for you guys to give me info about a cab you know basicly nothing about.

Thanks for the amazing help and if you have anything to add, please do, i'm looking for any information at this point.

no, you're right :) I didn't take that into consideration.
You should be just fine with exhaust only then.
Otherwise, take a look at "duckhunter-DK" he put only a 3W 80mm pc fan under the HPS so he could keep it closer to plants:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=228033&page=3

V

veclo

Thanks for that, his cab looks like something i would like to do.

There's one thing i still don't get though. Due to the vertical position of the light, the back of the flowers dont get much light. This is repaired by cutting some of the front leaves, right? Is there a set stage on when to cut them or do you just go by feeling. I'm still feeling a bit of overwhelmed with the vertical scrog, but i guess it's neccessary since im working with so little space. Would you recommend any other technique to start with maybe?