What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Hey everyone!! I thought I'd pop in to update you on my TW's progress...
Its day 13 of bloom..

picture.php

this is without the 150HPS on just so you can see her more clearly...she's getting big hey!?
those T5's are incredible too..
picture.php

a canopy shot...26 budsites in all:)
picture.php

this is, of course, with the HPS on...its the end of week 2 so do you think I'm okay to leave her as is? meaning no more tying down?
thanks in advance for any help
there is a link to my thread below...if anyone wants to check it out:)
take care
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=183150

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
420tyme - IMHO both your total square footage and the shape of it are perfect for the 150. Unless sometime in the future you decide to expand the light spectrum, the single 150 will fit you needs perfectly. I've grown many a crop from seedling right thru harvest with just the single lamp.

Hey crew, been away for a month recharging the batteries. Good to be back and hope all are well.

Going back and looking at the dimensions again I would only suggest supplemental lights if you planned to fully utilize the height you've got. Putting the light on a yo-yo will help for the most part but if you've got a 30 incher or more in there you might wanna add lights. Since I doubt that will be your approach or setup I think you should be just dandy with your 150w HPS. Be safe and happy growing.

-S.E.

how small of a chance ?

cuz i honestly dont think i will be able to

it will just be the 150w hps !!!

blwd67

Hey pipedream, welcome back.

Your dimensions are almost the same as mine, 420... Except you've got like 20 more inches of head space. Holy moly dude that's one tall skinny grow area. You could grow some mean sativas in there, if that's your thing. Most people have recommended to me a sog type deal with 2l or 32oz mcdonald's cups. Let em grow tall and straight. Of course that's not what I did haha... After the two ladies in there now are finished, though, I'll probably go that route. Also something I am considering is a vertical configuration. Hoosierdaddy has a great setup with dual 150s one on top of the other. You could probably fit six to nine 2l around the lights and get complete penetration all the way down. (that's what she said)

Also something to think about is the heat generated by that light in your tiny sqftage. I'm sure my lack of ventilation knowledge has allot to do with it, but I am having a fairly hard time keeping temps down; even with a six inch duck booster (250cfm) and a pc fan blowing directly at the light temps are in the low eighties. Yet another reason why I am leaning toward the dual vertical cool tube deal.

420tyme

i got a 26" afghani that i put on 12/12 yesterday

so im a little concerned that the tops might burn once it starts flowering

since the plant doubles in size when they flower

im looking at a 52" plant when done ,

iv pulled the branches down some to try to lst it some

but i split my main stalk in the process

i squeezed it together and had to use electrical tape to hold it together

but after that little scare i dont think i want to try to tie down any more branches , lol

Cannabis is amazingly resilient so I wouldn't worry much there. Altho I would worry a little about it starting its flower cycle when that happened. In any case you should still do at least decently. As far as doubling in size, that in particular doesn't mean height in almost all cases and I would bargain to say even less so in an afghani variety. Yours I would estimate might get another 6-8 inches throughout the flower stage and it wouldn't be unusual to get more its just unlikely to double in height. It will however bush up and start fattening up its foliar grow alongside the buds. Good luck tho, be safe and happy growing.

-S.E.

i got a 26" afghani that i put on 12/12 yesterday

so im a little concerned that the tops might burn once it starts flowering

since the plant doubles in size when they flower

im looking at a 52" plant when done ,

iv pulled the branches down some to try to lst it some

but i split my main stalk in the process

i squeezed it together and had to use electrical tape to hold it together

but after that little scare i dont think i want to try to tie down any more branches , lol

420tyme

Cannabis is amazingly resilient so I wouldn't worry much there. Altho I would worry a little about it starting its flower cycle when that happened. In any case you should still do at least decently. As far as doubling in size, that in particular doesn't mean height in almost all cases and I would bargain to say even less so in an afghani variety. Yours I would estimate might get another 6-8 inches throughout the flower stage and it wouldn't be unusual to get more its just unlikely to double in height. It will however bush up and start fattening up its foliar grow alongside the buds. Good luck tho, be safe and happy growing.

-S.E.

ok my man ,

thanks for easing my mind some

iv been stressing that all day lol

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Hey everyone!! I thought I'd pop in to update you on my TW's progress...
Its day 13 of bloom..

picture.php

this is without the 150HPS on just so you can see her more clearly...she's getting big hey!?
those T5's are incredible too..
picture.php

a canopy shot...26 budsites in all:)
picture.php

this is, of course, with the HPS on...its the end of week 2 so do you think I'm okay to leave her as is? meaning no more tying down?
thanks in advance for any help
there is a link to my thread below...if anyone wants to check it out:)
take care
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=183150

Hey man, hard to say whether it can go from here w/o more maintenance. You've got a nice start. :tiphat:

I like the way you let the plant grow over the screen. Looks like less trouble than pulling under.

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Thanks DiscoBiscuit!! the screen is a great way to hold the plant down sorta like scrog/lst combined!! the main reason is I did'nt have the screen high enough up in the first place...my fault..
thanks again..

Quick question: I picked up a used 150w Sun System unit that came with a bulb. How do I know, or how can I tell if the bulb still has life left in it? I understand per the Sun System website that you needs to give it several minutes to warm up, but to be completely honest, I do not have any experience with HPS systems, so not sure what to expect as far as brightness is concerned. At first glance in turning it on the bulb it seems fairly red-ish compared to other bulbs (CFL) of similar wattage. Just not sure what to expect. I guess best thing is to buy a new bulb?

toastfighter2

HydroLenny, the hps lamp will put off more of a red orange color, but it should get pretty bright. If you leave it on for about 5 minutes it should be done warming up at that point. Your best bet would to be to go pick up a brand new lamp(hps bulbs are called lamps), and just hang onto the old one just so you have one on hand(my lamps always seem to die just after the hydroshop closes on Saturday, or more often than not, when I am flat broke)

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
e-conolight.com has medium and mogul base bulbs for $5.25 ea. Hard to tell what to expect from your present bulb w/o comparing to a new one. They're rated for 4 to 5 years but you'll want to consider changing them out every third grow on average.

Sublimeroots

150 hps weith

150 hps weith

hi everyone, what is the normal weith (g) in a scrog with 150 hps and tipicas strains (white widow, northen ligth) i want compare my harvest with a normal of us. thank you , greeting from chile.

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Hey everyone!!
just a quick pic to show you where I'm at with my TW grow...

picture.php

as you can see, the screen is now full:)
thanks

Sublimeroots

150 hps optimal weight

150 hps optimal weight

which is the weight that can be obtained normally with a 150 hps indoor, with strains such as white widow or North ligth, the last time I've taken 40 grams. but I've seen that say something about one gram per watt, which believe it is normal in grams for a semi advanced grower. greetings from chile

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Greetings from mid-atlantic US, Sublimeroots. It's tough to say in grams-per-watt. One strain might not yield what the next one does. But there's a few things you can do to improve yield.

Keep the canopy within a 3-foot print. Train and trim plants so that the canopy is inside 12 to 15 inches of the bulb, give or take. The denser your canopy is, the less light will penetrate.

If you're growing a low-yield variety, vegging longer helps improve yield, especially with low plant numbers. If plant numbers aren't a problem, SOG often yields more without having to veg a couple of months.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts