What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

C

Cozy Amnesia

How are the 4 23w cfl's working for you cozy? I was thinking of doing the exact same thing for my veg chamber. I was hoping that it would be sufficient enough to keep a mother alive and produce clones (just a few every so often).

Well, currently, they're not on. Right now I'm using the 150w for veg, but in the next week or two that will be flipped to 12/12. I'm glad though that I first gave the seedlings the 6500k CFLs because I think it helped with the stretch. They're all very stout plants with good side growth and short distances between nodes. I vegged for about 10 days with the cfl's until putting them under the 150w and I think that really helped. I also have one blue spectrom CFL in there because I believe it help will help me achieve a higher ratio of females.

One thing to note is that if I put a plant right in between the blue spectrom CFL and the much more powerful HPS, the plant will turn torward the CFL!! I believe this is because young plants grow torward light with a blue spectrom because in nature thats is how they compete for light against the other weeds...or something like that.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
How are the 4 23w cfl's working for you cozy? I was thinking of doing the exact same thing for my veg chamber. I was hoping that it would be sufficient enough to keep a mother alive and produce clones (just a few every so often).

I do what you're talking about with 3 23 watters. 4 will be even better.

TraneRek

My seedlings are vegging under 3 26w cfls right now; only day two of veg though. I've got 'em in 50% perlite 50% topsoil. I'm pretty sure that's too much perlite, but is topsoil good enough, or should I go out a buy regular soil? It seems a bit.. chunky?

-Rek :rasta:

C

Cozy Amnesia

My seedlings are vegging under 3 26w cfls right now; only day two of veg though. I've got 'em in 50% perlite 50% topsoil. I'm pretty sure that's too much perlite, but is topsoil good enough, or should I go out a buy regular soil? It seems a bit.. chunky?

Go out and buy coco. I can't say enough how much I like the stuff.

-its damn near, no, it is impossible to overwater
-its reusable
-you can feed synthetic or organic
-plants grow waaaaaay faster in coco than in anything else...except DWC
-all natural and is really helpful for the countries of origin

I'm growing in 100% CocoGrow. I feed GH bloom and GH micro, nothing else, it's so incredibly simple. The only draw back is you have to water about every day. But it's a hydro medium so you could rig up a drip table, ebb-n-flow, or just hand water like I do.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran

Topsoil is regular soil. Potting mix is usually an organic substitute of composted plant matter. (Some potting mixes include soil.) Composted plant matter drains better than dirt alone. Potting mix is usually too hot for mj. Dolomitic lime will buffer the mix until it is suitable for mj. Potting mix straight out of the bag usually has enough lime to bring the pH up to around 4 or 5 (good for azaleas and acid loving plants.) As a result you have to add more lime to organic potting mix for mj. Topsoil is a good ingredient as it has micronutes the organic potting mix may not have. It also helps to buffer the mix requiring less lime than straight organic.

I tried 75% topsoil, 25% perlite and got micro-nutrient defs. I thought chemical ferts would take care of things but still had trouble. This time I mixed 25% topsoil, 25% peat/organic compost, 25% Black Kow composted cow manure and 25% perlite. I topped the mix off with 2.5 tsp of dolomitic lime per gallon.

The only way you can get too much perlite is if water pours straight through your mix as opposed to saturating it. Seedling mix has the chunks taken out and does well for seedlings, clones and small plants.

vintner

Careful, I just had my bullshit meter recalibrated
Veteran
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DiscoBiscuit again.
:respect: Great info Bro :rasta:

OG savatage

The Madness

IMG_0250.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 13

OG savatage

Thanks Cozy! Been checking out your cab o' the future. Nice job. Got a buddy who needs soemthing like that bad. Will be hooking him up with that thread for some design ideas. Or should I say *I* will get some design ideas since I'm the one who does all the fabricating. Mine's a basic closet, split in half, flower on the left, veg on the right. I have a lot of wasted vertical space though. I should have made the split up/down instead of left/right. Oh well I'm happy. 3 to 4 z's per harvest keeps me supplied just fine :)

steez420

first grow

first grow

Ok. hers the setup. In a space thats about 3.5'x3.5'. One 150 hps from htg. All bagseed from decent nugs. 6 of em in regular potting soil, perlite, and vermiculate mix with a small dose of lime. Theres one other in the back corner in just p and v. Been watering with RO and used a bit of neptunes harvest for fert. ph has been a little high, leaning toward 7 and up. how can i get it down a bit?
picture.php
:joint:

I

itsjustaride

to lower ph just buy the ph down. when using it with ro water youll need less. i use about 2-3 ml per gallon with ro water. ph is most important.

So. i got my vaportek wall cabinet today. i got a lil less than a once fresh dried sittin in front of me and i dont smell a thing. expensive i paid 96 bucks for 2 vaportronics and 12 disks but i havent spent money on herb in a while so its all good.

i recomend them highly.

SkunkyDemon

Hmm, Iv been thinking about buying a vaportec, how well does it work on some of the more dank strains? The guuy from AN says they work great. But how long will one disk last? Right now Im using the ona spray despenser, and thats not cheap. One can last three to four weeks. Im only growing my meds so theres not alot to make it smell. Lets us now about how long it will work please, Im realy leaning twords the Vaportec. Do the have different sents?
Awsome pics!!
Peace

steez420

frogger- thanks for the idea, maybe thatll show me what i want to see.

itsjustaride- i wasnt sure if ph down could be used for watering soil. now i know.

its great to be able to get feedback from people who know what theyre talkin about.
-peace:joint:

I

itsjustaride

Skunky - i'll let you know i just got a cut of big buddah cheese so that should be a stinker.

also, i ordered from a janitorial store not hidhut, they were 29$ compared to 37$

swampy_nz

i managed to get hold of a couple of 150 watt metalhalide units and was wondering what kelvin bulb would be best for growing from rooted clone until the 12/12 switch.cheers.:joint:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
itsjustaride- i wasnt sure if ph down could be used for watering soil. now i know.

too much lime in the mix will keep pH down from working very well. after all, buffering acids is what lime does. you won't notice much relief from the pH down until the lime begins to leach from the mix. sometimes this is late in flower, sometimes later.

that said your plants look like they're doing good. pH down will add to the total TDS count of solution. if you're feeding at 1000ppm and using 200ppm of pH down, you might have to lower ferts to 800.

OG savatage

i managed to get hold of a couple of 150 watt metalhalide units and was wondering what kelvin bulb would be best for growing from rooted clone until the 12/12 switch.cheers.:joint:

Blue for vegging. From wikipedia "higher color temperatures (5000 K or more) are "cool" (green–blue) colors"

So 5000k or higher, or a blue-ish light for veg cycle, red-ish for flowering. If those MH units are bluish in color they would be perfect for your veg cycle. MH lights can be anywhere from 2700K to 20,000K color temp, so hopefully yours are blue (ish).