What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

C

Cozy Amnesia

maryjanegirl said:
All of the plants are doing well except one that is shown in a picture and I am wondering what is wrong with it, because it looks burned and is kind of thin

Looks like a pH problem to me. Check the runoff next time you water. If the pH is too high or too low, the plant won't be able to take in the nutrients in the water. But, like pipedream said, it's more likely to be a fucked up plant.

I am not sure when to start flowering and would like some advise on that as well.
Plan for the plants to at least double in size during the first few weeks of 12/12. From what I can see in the pictures, I'd say give them two or three more weeks. You could FIM or top them to produce more colas, but if you do that you'll need to veg a couple more weeks. You could also LST them. Oh, and you don't know which are female yet? Thats another problem.

I'm in the same boat really. I got a bunch of healthy plants, but I don't yet know which are male/female, so I'm not sure on how large to let them get. What I plan to do is hope for the best and plan for the worse - that is, grow them large enough so that if only a few are keepers I'll still get a respectable yield, and if I got more females than I can fit, then they're going to be packed in there!

So if I were you, I'd let them get large enough so that if you only get two or even one female, you can still fill up the light-footprint of your sun system 150. I suggest topping or FIMing them to help them branch out. If you top (that is, cut off the entire top node), two side branches will emerge. If you FIM (slice the top half of the node off) four branches will emerge out of that one node, but it will take longer.

With my plants, I'm planning on experimenting with topping, FIMing, and doing nothing. Like I said, I'm hoping for the best but planning for the worst. Good luck!

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
MJgirl - Looks like you have some pH issues. Make sure you are checking the level after you add nutrients and that is 6-6.8. You have some nutrient burn so be careful :]

TraneRek

Thanks Trane,

I just looked that light up with the link you provided. I would agree with you, however I have one question for you. I couldn't find anywhere on the site where it designates the light bulb or fixture as being either Medium base or mogul based. Do you happen to know which it is. The 19 NEW bulbs I have are all Medium based. the same as a regular light bulb. It would be counter productive for me to purchase a light that requires a Mogul base as I would then have to purchase more bulbs.

Sorry, I dunno the difference between Mogul and medium-based bulbs :/

I heard the medium based ones will fit into a regular light bulb socket (NOT suggesting it, just for size comparison). If that's the case, then the HTG is mogul based, b/c it's waay bigger than a regular socket.

Hope that helps, it's all I got :p

-Rek :rasta:

InquisitiveBud

Hey fello 150w elites, sorry to break the news to you followers of the epic tub grow, its down for a count. It will be back though... They will LIVE :laughing:
I was browsing on another grow site and came across this......and I quote

***150w HPS Club *** Inspirational Resource permalink

"Have you guys seen the shit going down on icmag.com for 150w hps set ups, I think its called, 150w club and resource guide, well godamnet, who am i kidding, i obviously ripped that shit off! hahaha. But for a great, great cause.

This is the place to show your 150w hps setups, and give detailed pictures and descriptions as far as what it takes to function, (Intake and Exaust cfm, temps, strains trying, method of growing, yeilds taken in, dimenssions, Ect ect..) I want to make this as magical as the site over on icmag. "

Haha guessss whooo :rasta:

bongeyser

even if it is a mogul like amnesia said you could easily put a medium base in there, or a mogul to medium base converter even for 2 bucks.

maryjanegirl

Looks like a pH problem to me. Check the runoff next time you water. If the pH is too high or too low, the plant won't be able to take in the nutrients in the water. But, like pipedream said, it's more likely to be a fucked up plant.

Plan for the plants to at least double in size during the first few weeks of 12/12. From what I can see in the pictures, I'd say give them two or three more weeks. You could FIM or top them to produce more colas, but if you do that you'll need to veg a couple more weeks. You could also LST them. Oh, and you don't know which are female yet? Thats another problem.

I'm in the same boat really. I got a bunch of healthy plants, but I don't yet know which are male/female, so I'm not sure on how large to let them get. What I plan to do is hope for the best and plan for the worse - that is, grow them large enough so that if only a few are keepers I'll still get a respectable yield, and if I got more females than I can fit, then they're going to be packed in there!

So if I were you, I'd let them get large enough so that if you only get two or even one female, you can still fill up the light-footprint of your sun system 150. I suggest topping or FIMing them to help them branch out. If you top (that is, cut off the entire top node), two side branches will emerge. If you FIM (slice the top half of the node off) four branches will emerge out of that one node, but it will take longer.

With my plants, I'm planning on experimenting with topping, FIMing, and doing nothing. Like I said, I'm hoping for the best but planning for the worst. Good luck!

Thanks so much! I just put them on their first day of flowering, because I am ready for bud and I don't want them to get too tall. Space really isn't that big of an issue, because I can always make more room, but I would like them to grow faster. Can I still top and fim the plants if they are going into flowering? I am going to watch them closely to find out which ones are female and which ones are male.

trippin fool

After seeing all these fantastic grows with 150w HPS, I have been persuaded to build a previous cabinet that I had into a grow cab. I'm kind of on a budget, which is what brings me here to ask for help.

I'm trying to decide which light I should get. I was either going to get the floralux 150w HPS from HTG Supply, http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=49255, $94.95 or this light from HTG, http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=53025, $69.75.

Each light has it's pluses. The floralux has a ballast included in the reflector. Easy, but I'm worried the ballast would generate lots of heat in the cabinet. Although it does have a glass shield and the ballast housing can have a fan hooked up to it for forced air cooling. The other light is cheaper and has a separate ballast (able to be placed outside of box, no need for being that stealthy) but the reflector has no glass shield. Which do you think is going to heat up the box the least? I'm hoping for the cheaper light.

As far as exhaust goes, I'm going to get an 80 cfm whisper bathroom fan and have a passive intake system. I'm going to have plenty of intake so I can cap them off if there isn't enough negative pressure. But, given the size of the box and the fan, I should be replacing the air at least 6-7x a minute once the carbon filter is installed. Ambient temperature will be around 65-70F

love?

Get the cheaper one!

I think it will be cooler for sure because the PSU which generates a lot of heat can be placed outside the box. Sure the glass in the other one might let you keep the light a bit closer to the plants but you will also lose some lumens in the glass and I really doubt the cooling power of a piece of glass without a fan. Of course if you were to get a fan for it you will be able to keep the light closer to the plants but overall temps in your cab would be increased.

Also placing the PSU away from the growspace lessens the risk of watter getting into it, or well it can... depends where you put the PSU instead. ;)

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
maryjanegirl - Once you swap your lighting over to 12/12 for flowering, based on chemical changes your plants genetic programming takes over and stops most vegetative growth. It will now be growing cell-structures necessary for forming the various parts of the buds and colas. As a result it will not properly form new growing tips. All "topping" type practices should be done early enough in the veg state to allow the plant to finish the process before it is forced to flower.

trippin fool - Go with the less expensive light from HTG. I know of several growers using it and they are all very happy with it. Plus its a bit more flexible, may keep the box a bit cooler, and allow a few more precious rays to hit the ladies.

JMHO, One Love, PD

C

Cozy Amnesia

Maryjanegirl: like PD said, stay away from high stress training techniques once the plants are in flower. You can, however, perform low stress training if you really need to (like if you run out of vertical space). Also, don't prune any fan leaves off because they won't be able to grow new ones and the fan leaves are very important! Many growers trim off leaves that are blocking light to the grow tips below, but it's a bad idea to do this once they've stopped vegetative growth.

steez420

Hi everyone.
I just started my first grow with a 150:woohoo:... I thought this would be the perfect place to share
my ideas. Ill post some pics within the next couple days and show what i got.
-peace

TraneRek

Woo! Today is my first day vegging.. 6/6 bag seed germed. I'll post a few pics when there's something to show. Thanks for all the help everyone.

-Rek :rasta:

Pipedream

Veteran
Yes, its possible but you'll likely have to use 2 fans as exhaust to keep the heat down, and it kind of knocks any ideas of scrubbers out of the picture too. Look around and you'll find other growers doing just what you want to. Steal their best ideas.

Pipedream

Veteran
:rasta:

Yes, it's Santa waving goodbye. But not till next year either.
He's decided to bravely give up his life as a lawn ornament to serve a "higher" calling.
He'll be providing some much needed ventilation in a new cabinet I'm in the midst of building for a fellow medical user. Thanks old timer.

:rasta:

C

Cozy Amnesia

Woah...sweet! I want a santa to help me grow!! **jealous**

Here's some pics I just uploaded...

trippin fool

How are the 4 23w cfl's working for you cozy? I was thinking of doing the exact same thing for my veg chamber. I was hoping that it would be sufficient enough to keep a mother alive and produce clones (just a few every so often).