What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

Thanks for the detailed reply Disco, I have a nice cannon camera so no need to worry about that. What I am worried about is low temps, being in the north of England my basement temps never exceed 15c even in the peak of summer that's why I have the heater. Unfortunately we don't have a great range of vent fans available over here, we have to choose from pc fans, noisy bathroom fans or high powered Inline fans the large scale growers use. I have already built a room within the basement with an insulated floor and a ventilation system, this will double up as my secure server room (I'm a computer engineer by trade). I'm planning on a footprint of around 2 x 1 1/2, if I cant get the temps high enough with the heater I also have a 70w mh/hps I can throw in there to help raise the temp. Now all I need is a good tutorial for building a Swc!

DiscoDuck

Indica Monkey said:
Thanks for the detailed reply Disco, I have a nice cannon camera so no need to worry about that. What I am worried about is low temps, being in the north of England my basement temps never exceed 15c even in the peak of summer that's why I have the heater. Unfortunately we don't have a great range of vent fans available over here, we have to choose from pc fans, noisy bathroom fans or high powered Inline fans the large scale growers use. I have already built a room within the basement with an insulated floor and a ventilation system, this will double up as my secure server room (I'm a computer engineer by trade). I'm planning on a footprint of around 2 x 1 1/2, if I cant get the temps high enough with the heater I also have a 70w mh/hps I can throw in there to help raise the temp. Now all I need is a good tutorial for building a Swc!

Do you know the latitude of your location? Start a thread with your specific latitude, ex:

"Any basement growers around the 38th parallel? You might get a response from someone with answers. Good luck.

Insulation is a good idea. If the floor insulation isn't enough, is there a way you can insulate the whole grow box/room?

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
:rasta:

Indica Monkey - if your temps are too low, here are few things to consider.....

1. Don't paint or use mylar on the inside walls. Instead buy thin foam sheets that have foil on one side. They do sell this in G.B.

2. Remote your ballast, and place the ballast in the bottom of the box.

3. Reduce your air throughput by placing adjustable plates over your input holes.

4. Keep your airpumps inside the box alongside the ballast.

5. Check out "GoldenRod Dehumidifiers" they are actually "safe heaters"

6. Lastly, here's what I finally did for the winter months..... My exhaust fan is obviously on the top of the box. I made it DC reversible operation. Now in the winter it runs in reverse and blows the warm air down around the plants and pushes the cool air out the bottom.

Note: the last option will not work with a scrubber as you are pressurizing the box.

:rasta:

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas guys, I have a roll of that foil backed bubble wrap to insulate the inside of the cab so I'm probably gonna go with that rather than the kingspan foam boards - that's what I have under the floor I'm gonna place the cab on and it's bloody expensive over here! The ballast I have is a remote unit and I plan on getting it near the intake to help with temps but dont really want it below the water level for safety reasons. I think my saving grace is going to be the tube heater and thermostat, but I don't really want it constantly running to keep down my meter reading. Thanks for the replys guys, I'll try get some pics up tomorrow if I get a chance - I'm real busy with work at the moment.

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Vern Equinox said:
Hi everyone.

Just a head's-up on the E-conolight 150s; I fell into the cheap-price trap like so many of you (I bought four of these pigs), but do you guys know to light the 150 watt bulb, the E-conolight 150 watt ballast kit (Caster or Castor is the brand name) uses Over 350 Watts!!! Kinda blows the savings in the first month of operation. Any low-wattage HPS that doesn't have a seperate capacitor (two main parts instead of three; ballast,capacitor, and ignitor), you can count on being power hogs. This includes most "security" lights you rewire to remote the ballast.

A better option is to get a 150 w Venture ballast kit ( www.businesslights.com has good prices; just $12 more) that uses only 166 watts to light the 150. Power Factor is @ 90%.

http://www.businesslights.com/product_info.php?cPath=190_238&products_id=45

Yes I realize that I'm quoting a reply from (exactly) 2 years ago.....

I currently have only ever grown with CFLS and floro tubes. They work okay, Ive been able to pull a oz off a plant about 2 ft tall or so.
However there is always room for improvements, and since I;m moving soon it might be about that time...and hps is certainly the first upgrade I see.

I've read a bunch of this thread, beginning and end parts at least. From what I gather the econolight is well i guess what you get for 30 bucks. I dont get if you HAVE to remote ballast it or if its just a preference. Whats the advantage of doing it? Also, I sure as hell am no electrician and see the whole wiring thing (for any hps) as quite an obstacle. Yes I have looked at the wiring guides and pics, I just dont know if I can pull it off :redface:

Do the lights that i posted from the beginning of the thread include all the things neccesary for it to work? or is there other stuff. I guess bulb isnt a problem if its not included. I really want to make it known that I have done a lof research, especially in the past few days. Im just not sure If I'm up for the task. I guess thats the only question for now.....

many thanks to you guys, quite an inspriing thread you've got here.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rob, if you go with the pendant mount type 150hps from Econolight, it will use the same power as any other 150hps. Those cost a whopping $20 US to purchase.
The power factor does not come into play unless you are set up like an industrial factory, which get charged using the power factors. I have to respectfully take exception to the warnings that Vern laid out for us. And if your power does get charged using the power factor, all you need do is purchase a capacitor for about $18 and you are good.

The ballast creates a good bit of heat, and it should not be included in your flower room, as it just makes it harder to keep cool.

You are going to need some basic stuff like wiring cable, connectors, and a box of some sort to mount your ballast in (many use old ammo cans that can be had easy), but do not let the work intimidate you. It is a breeze. And I am certain you can get some detailed help when you go to do the work. IMO, it is well worth the work to only spend $20 for the light. That is basically giving them away.
Or, start comparing prices of remote ballasted 150HPS lights...you will be back to the DIY, or at least I was...and I am a tinker by nature anyway, so it was a no-brainer for me.
You will be very happy using the floros and CFL for veg, and the HPS for frosting.
Actually, if you only have one chamber, the addition of what you have now to the HPS will make them even frostier. That combo should have a good bit of the color spectrum covered, and make for very happy gurls. Then go further and search for a nice actinic bulb for your floro.

Best of luck!

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
whats up my fellow 150 watters. up in the birds nest im currently using my flower box as a revegg for 2 stankonias and a home for my lonely cherry bomb. that bomb though, it REEKS for only being in veg, im really starting to think that cherry bomb II was a cherry pheno ak47 cross with a cherry pheno maui wowie like a read in an acient post. one MSG seedling and a few AP11xerdpurts under the cfl, the jahwis joys havent broken soil yet, hopefully soon though.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think some of the fine folks inhere have mentioned that if you feel intimidated by this electrical stuff, you should not be afraid to just go buy premade stuff.
I totally agree.

Like I mentioned, I am a tinker by nature, and have had a good bit of experience with wiring and such, so it does not bother me one bit to delve in. But, do not think just because some do it that you have to.
I am not a licensed electrician and my advise should always be taken with a grain of salt.
But if you need help, do not hesitate to speak up, no matter how silly you think your question may be.

Peace.

G

one thing i haven't seen much of in the 150 club is guys using their bulb vertically. i've used 150's exclusively for a long time and it just makes sense to me to have the entire bright area of the bulb surrounded with bud, and as close as possible. i've tried many different light positions and i always yeild higher like this. this is 3 skunkberry at 33 days

BonsaiBud

muskeg: I've been thinking of trying that. There would be much more room for air plubing if I put my three 50 watters vertically. I would use 8 little pots and 2 inch rubber hoses would run off the end of the lamp glass and towards a big exhaust manifold for the blower. I really would like to use them that way. I just wasn't sure if plants would grow properly. I could put em in round pots for lots of rotating.

G

bonsai bud, as you can see, my ballast and everything is attached, i just suck air through and keep a fan blowing on the light! those 150's are like 80 bucks!the more complicated these guys make it, the more i shake my head. i used to try all kinds of wonder ferts etc. actually these ones are 3 topped skunkberry in a stupid rubber maid tub with holes in the bottom, 1 inch of perlite, the rest straight promix bx and 1/2 a teaspoon of plant-prod once every two weeks in 1 gallon of water. this fert costs 6 dollars for a 2 year supply and promix is 20 bucks for a huge bale!i've tried all this fancy stuff and this is my conclusion after ten years. super canna power blossom bud booster doesn't have scientists working for them, plant-prod is for real.professional greenhouse operators know what they are talking about.keep in mind that this set up is riding the ragged edge of being too hot! but its simple and it works. :laughing:

I

icon

just got a 150w hps e-conolight growing in coco coir mandala#1,satori,hindu kush. my friend came over & wired it up for me.
this is a great buy only $52 total.
here it is harding off the leaves in my new homebox xs

left the balast inside the case it came in

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran

cough cough cough...er muskeg :wave:

checked the other day and both the stretch pheno and diesel-diaper pheno of my stankonias revegged, damn i cant wait to take clones. also have 4 CDK, 1 MSG, and 3 AP11xErdpurt seedlings up. still waiting on the SSxPIMMP to crack, and the stankhashes(diesel diaper stankonia x hashberry) finally cracked in the glass. good tiimes :joint:

Propoline

hey guys :wave:

Nice to see other vertical 150s. I had my first indoor harvest about 3 weeks ago, and yielded exactly 4 oz with 2 girls. My second run is few days into 12/12, after 9 days veg. I have four 12.5L pots with 4 clones in it. First run was LST, this time I'm going SOG style (16 plants).

Here's a few days old pic, day one of flower

At end of previous round....

White Satin on left & Kalichakra buds on right

All drying