What's new

126w Hydro-Grow LED vs 250w HID, the definitive test

Frozenguy

Veteran
Hey everyone! Update coming today. Just had my second to last school final yesterday and I'm exhausted! But excited to show ICmag the ladies. They are looking really nice and smelling up the whole room.. Mmmm

Frozenguy :smokeit:

Frozenguy

Veteran
Flowering Day 49 :dance013:

Hey ICmag. The ladies are looking and smelling amazing :jump: They just finished with their second main growth spurt and the third one should be here in about five to eight days, depending. This strain is a very dense bud and grows out, fills in, grows out, fills in.

The LED unit has definitely proved itself so far. Especially since its using half the power. I'm quite impressed, but we'll see when it comes to final weight, and most importantly, smoke and properties of the high/taste.

HS_1 (HID)

HS_2 (HID)

HS_3 (LED)

HS_4 (LED)

WizeWizo

the 126w appears that its keepin up or slightly ahead of your 250w at this point in time. Good job mate, looks like yer entering the homestretch!

Frozenguy

Veteran
:lurk:

Very nice! I am impressed so far...subscribed and seated!

Thanks! Glad to have you aboard. :wave:

the 126w appears that its keepin up or slightly ahead of your 250w at this point in time. Good job mate, looks like yer entering the homestretch!

I've even been tempted to say the LED side looks a bit more frosty, but I hesitate to make that an official comment just yet.

LEDGirl

Veteran
The LED unit has definitely proved itself so far. Especially since its using half the power. I'm quite impressed, but we'll see when it comes to final weight, and most importantly, smoke and properties of the high/taste.

Thanks Frozen :) I think you're doing a very nice side by side grow thus far.

Addressing the power statement though, most 250W HID's draw around 300W of actual power. The digital Lumatek I just bought for the University of Washington to test against our 345W draws about 290W. Anyhow, the 126W draws about 115W of power, 12W of which goes directly to the cooling fans. So in all reality it has about 103W going into the LED's, meaning they consume roughly 3x less power than the MH. I dunno, I just like having fun with math lol. :wave:

Congrats on finishing school!

filur

Amazing results Frozenguy and great journal!

I think there are many appartment growers that would like to take the step over to LEDs but don't dare yet.
This grow (and a couple others going lately) is exactly what I've been looking for to ease my nerves before buying expensive high powered LEDs instead of my HIDs.

Sorry for this hi-jacking but I have 2 questions to LEDGirl, I hope that's ok.

I was thinking 3 x 205w or 2 x 345w instead of my 2 x 400w HID currently running. Would the footprint be about equal?

Also, is it possible to have your lamps shipped to Scandinavia?
Sadly a $700 205w lamp ends up at $1000 after our 30% import tax so even better would be a European retailer.

Been lurking on this great forum for years, so hello and cheers!:tiphat:

Frozenguy

Veteran
I'll have an update submitted tomorrow. The ladies are continuing to frost up and the smell is really intense.
Infact they aren't too safe from me when I'm in there. I have to have a constant supply of smoke because the urge is so great.

Frozenguy :smokeit:

Amazing results Frozenguy and great journal!

I think there are many appartment growers that would like to take the step over to LEDs but don't dare yet.
This grow (and a couple others going lately) is exactly what I've been looking for to ease my nerves before buying expensive high powered LEDs instead of my HIDs.

Been lurking on this great forum for years, so hello and cheers!:tiphat:
Hello filur :wave:. Thanks for the kind words! So far, I am impressed.

Glad you signed up :)

[Lurch voice]
You rang?
[/Lurch voice]

Cool stuff Frozenguy.
Thanks! The next update should be very nice.
Thanks Frozen :) I think you're doing a very nice side by side grow thus far.

Addressing the power statement though, most 250W HID's draw around 300W of actual power. The digital Lumatek I just bought for the University of Washington to test against our 345W draws about 290W. Anyhow, the 126W draws about 115W of power, 12W of which goes directly to the cooling fans. So in all reality it has about 103W going into the LED's, meaning they consume roughly 3x less power than the MH. I dunno, I just like having fun with math lol. :wave:

Congrats on finishing school!
Thanks! I start again in about three weeks for the summer, bleh.. hehe, but it will be a light load compared, so it should fly by.

Yeah sometimes I forget the power difference and am stunned again lol.

the led looks better !very impressive
I am very impressed too. I can't wait to try the smoke grown from LED compared to HID.

Yeah this strain gets really frosty, one of the frostiest strains I've ever grown.

D

dsbabydaddy

love this thread. this is such a good idea.
IMO i think that the LED bulb is not flowering the buds as well, i dunno it just looks like the LED bud lacks come color, and i think that may affect the taste or high.

Congrats on having my favorite thread. Keep up the good work !