What's new

126w Hydro-Grow LED vs 250w HID, the definitive test

Frozenguy

Veteran
Hey everybody :tiphat:

Back with an update. Sorry it took me so long, I'm in the middle of studying for midterms and I'm swamped. :coffee:

These pictures were taken on the April eighth. I also put them into flower on this day.

I'll have another update of them on about friday and that should be at 8 days flowering. The pictures you see today are at day 33 veg or so. :plant grow:

BTW. When I take pictures again on friday, I'll take actual side by sides. I'll try to edit these into side by sides but I have limited time.
I promise though next time I'll post up HID/LED side by sides.

Hope you like them.

HS_1 (HID)

HS_2 (HID)

HS_3 (LED)

HS_4 (LED)

Frozenguy

Veteran
yeah i missed this one - looks awesome. i agree that MH or CMH gives a nicer quality weed than HPS.

im sure i remember the lambda box from my school days. is it that the different wavelengths of light travel at different speeds that allow you to split them up into a spectrum? - like light travelling through a prizm type thing?

very cool stuff

VG.
Yeah I love the quality of smoke from under a MH. I've never tried a CMH because I have all the wrong ballasts. No HPS under 600, and my 250's are all MH now lol.. I've been throwing the idea around to try it out.
And yeah, there is actually a prism in the box. One of the paper ones. I think they all travel at the same tangential speed, but not the same wave speed. Er..

I haven't been able to get the plans up or my calibration graph/ formulas because I have been swamped with birthday parties and studying for physics and calc mid terms :bashhead:

Very interesting...

-Supa
Yeah I find it very interesting too. I know there is potential in LED, I have just wondered if it was here yet. So far, I'm liking what I am seeing.

hey frozenguy! great grow here... hope to see a update soon!

all the best!
Thanks apollonio:joint: I finally got an update submitted. :dance013:

bump
I like the way you pin them down. That's some serious lst.
Yeah, it could potentially be considered mst for medium stress training :) I tug em down and give them stretch marks and sometimes they grow knots similar (but not really the same) to when I used to pinch. And they recover in hours instead of a day or two. This strain at least.

This box you built is pretty cool. Whoever says smoking weed makes you stupid is an idiot.

I'll be tagging along frozenguy!

I know really?! After I started smoking weed is when I decided to go back to college, and I smoke as I study, and smoke before my tests and I'm an a/b student these days so they can shove it :asskick:

Frozenguy

Veteran
Flowering day eight

The buds have been showing for about two days now. The LED unit is doing very well. So far the difference in budding seems indistinguishable.

Here are some side by sides as promised. They are labeled for their respective side.

HS_4 (LED) HS_1 (HID)

HS_2 (HID) HS_3(LED)

Frozenguy :smokeit:

LEDGirl

Veteran
Frozen: would you mind showing a photo or two of the plants under each light with how you have them setup? :)

synax

Frozen, I had to drop in when I saw you were running a comparison, I've always enjoyed your posts. Curious as to your method of LST - do you run her all the way around the side in a circle or do you just LST all the other branches out as well? (I may have missed this in a previous post - just had a small bowl to calm down my ADHD...)

Frozenguy

Veteran
Flowering Day 19

All I can say is wow. I'm not sure what I expected, but I'm finding myself very surprised at the LED's performance.
We'll see how it holds up through the flowering growth spurt. :plant grow:

HS (LED) <----> (HID)

HS (HID)

HS (LED)

HS_1 (HID)

HS_2 (HID)

HS_3 (LED)

HS_4 (LED)

Frozenguy

Veteran
they look like they are very close in size and growth rate, right?

nice plants... keep up the great work!
Thanks! And yes, they are astoundingly close. Its only 19 days into flower but at this point, I would have a hard time picking out the LED plant in a mix of HID plants.

Missed this thread, Nice Story so far! Glad I'm here right when the good part is starting!
Hey thank you, means a lot coming from someone who has experience with LED.
Yeah perfect timing :lurk: They're really starting to take off now.

Frozen, I had to drop in when I saw you were running a comparison, I've always enjoyed your posts. Curious as to your method of LST - do you run her all the way around the side in a circle or do you just LST all the other branches out as well? (I may have missed this in a previous post - just had a small bowl to calm down my ADHD...)
Thank you synax I appreciate that :thank you: I hope this one is enjoyable as well
One of my primary uses of cannabis is for my ADD and slight ADHD, :smokeit: works 1000 times better then the Ritalin I was prescribed as a kid.
As to my method of LST, I do bring the "top" around the side of the pot, toward the side that doesn't have as many or as big of branches. I also pull down the branches basically trying to spider web the plant out minus the concentric circles. I like to pull them way down and cause stretch marks. The ladies still recover fast but really bulk up at the base of the branch, where it meets the stem.

I need ties holding these branches down even 55 days into flower where as if I dont train them I need ties holding the branches up lol. And the buds are bigger on the trained plant. Go figure.

Frozenguy :joint:

Not certain why you're not fond of MH bulbs, but they were the only thing I used when I was at the end of my HID growing days. The bud they produced was superior to my HPS, which was originally figured out by adding a MH to my HPS room, and later doing separate areas. While a MH has less "lumens", the light they produce covers a lot more of the valuable photosynthetic region vs a HPS. In my opinion, this is going to be a great test.

HPS Graph:

eye_hortilux_spectrum.gif

MH Graph:

HortiluxBlue.jpg

THX GIRL!

Frozenguy

Veteran
Flowering Day 32

So the plants are packing the weight on! This Hindu Skunk yields a really dense product. It will be interesting to see how dense the LED nugs come out compared to normal.

I have to say though, its hard to tell but I'm thinking the LED side is a little more pungent in the aroma category. But its too close to confirm.

HS_1 (HID)

HS_2 (HID)

HS_3 (LED)

HS_4 (LED)

Frozenguy :joint:

Frozenguy

Veteran
Flowering Day 39

Its still close and too difficult to say. This strain grows smaller but many dense nugs and it looks like the LED is producing some dense buds as well. Packing on the trichs too. I'm hesitant to say the LED side may have more, but again, too close to tell. Which in fact is impressive. I keep forgetting that the LED unit is using like half the energy of the HID.
Still have about 25 days left with a growth spurt in the next five or so. :plant grow:

I wish I could post how these plants smell. So lemony-piney and pungent :canabis:

Keep it green ICMAG

Frozenguy :smokeit:

HS_1 (HID)

HS_2 (HID)

HS_3 (LED)

HS_4 (LED)

Latest posts

Latest posts