What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow

janvit

Hello folks,

I have a question:

Well, as you can see on pictures, I have 24 girls on 3,5 ft X 2,5 ft (app. 9 squere feet). The all started at December 1. 2007, so that means they are 50 days old, some 35-40 days in flowering under 1x400W & 1x250W HPS. They are on 12/12 from seed, of course. Some of them look a little bit poor, like they will newer finish, growing more leafs then flowers. The pics are old 6 days.

Well, I am worried about space. To me it looks owercrowded. I am not shure (and it's so,so hard to do) but I think it will bw good to remove a couple of this slow-flowering plants out and put them on my balcony. I live in relativly warm clymate (mediteran).
If removing the plans would be good for rest of them indoors, I'll do that and wont think what will hppen with thoes remove out :puppydoge.

So, will I realy help to other planst by removing some of them and giving them a more indoor space?

Allso, is it possible to finish flowering outdoor now (when day is still about 9-10 hour?

gladysvjubb

Veteran
Your grow looks very good. I would not go messing with them. Don't forget right now the days are getting longer and could screw up your flowering. I also grow very crowded plants but I have them on a rotation basis. I put 5-6 females into the garden every 2 weeks. I harvest every 2 weeks, not all at once like your grow. I think you should just run your grow the way you have been. Best of luck from GVJ.

Hey yall i love this thread! Question??? how tall/#of nodes do your plants have when they show sex? and how powerful are your lights that you only get 5g a plant, not dissing just like to smoke alot :D i got 15 babies 2-4in tall 4-5 nodes. they've been under 80w cfl (5,200 lumens) for 2 1/2 weeks at 24/24 then 18/6. anyways im switching to 12/12 tomorrow n puttin em under 250w hps, hoping to get at least a half ounce from all the ladies in hiding. any thoughts? ~red :joint:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
when you flower from seed it doesn't matter if you have super 5000w lights.

if its a short indica than it will hopefully attain five grams. hopefully.

unless you use a rare stretchy indica or a sativa hybrid 5g is completely acceptable growing from seed.

thanks motaco for the kind words. my babies are already starting to presex so im hoping for alot of females. i guess i'll have to grow alot of babies next time :D (like 40) peace out~red :joint:

quebec#1,rather then better rejoice its success,than failure others?I think if we begin "to compare the our dicks" - you will lose!....on all article, I am sure!
And also, I can say:sickness on effect does not affect.Very waiting for when U will grow Destroyer(can U buy seeds of this strain?) with mineral nutrients.Good luck, ЧМО!Also ,price of my growbox is not more than 500 dollars , but each harvest I can sell for ~7000 dollars.It is good arithmetic,isnt it?....And else , I am lucky owner of Volcano digit 8)
Buy the way, where you has seen the sickness?On ak?Specially not to feed last 2 weeks , that chemistry no smoking and I don't care on condition of leafs on given period.

janvit,better let will closely , than floor to illuminate.... your deal

Last edited:
G

Hal said:
12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow

photo: courtesy of Atmosphere

This thread is devoted to an excellent method of growing our favorite plant. “12/12 From Seed” is a proven way to grow pot, and produces yields up to 1 gram of dried bud per 1 watt of electricity consumed (eg: a 400 watt HPS light is able to produce a harvest of 400 grams). It is a very good choice for growers who have a limited amount of space to set up their gardens. The cannabis grown this way is potent, sticky, and yes…stinky. Most pot plants suffer no ill effects from being grown under this light regimen.

Typically, in traditional method, the cannabis cultivator will start their plants with a lighting regimen that provides anywhere from 18 to 24 hours of light a day, called the ‘vegetation’ phase, to make the plant grow as large as possible, increasing the amount of ‘budding sites’ on the plant. Once the plant has grown large, it is forced into flowering by switching the lighting regimen to 12 hours on/12 hours off. This results in plants that produce copious yields, but take up considerable space.

“12/12 From Seed” eliminates the vegetation phase. As soon as the seed sprouts through the surface it is given a light regimen of 12 hours on/12 hours off. Plants grown this way do not grow as tall as they would if given a vegetation phase. The shape of the plants is also different, losing much of their natural ‘bush’ quality. Our plants tend to be shaped like a “pole,” with the main bud formation happening along the main stem of the plant. This allows the grower to fit more plants per square foot/meter. It also makes possible gardens in spaces that growing larger, bush-like plants would be impossible. The shorter height of these plants also works in concert with the limited penetration distance that exists with any/all forms of indoor lighting.

Other than the difference in the lighting regimen, growing cannabis using this method is the same as the more traditional way. You still need to learn about the other important factors in growing a healthy garden, such as; proper nutrient levels; maintaining the correct PH level; controlling temperature, humidity, and odor; and providing ventilation. Because we are starting from seed, most of us use soil as our medium, although other mediums may be used. Other than that, all other personal choices to control the environment is the same as growing any other way.

This method does have its critics. Most of these critics have never tried to grow this way, they are just passing along commonly held mis-information without having actual experience. The main criticism is that the yields gotten from this method are miniscule and not worth the time involved. We challenge that, with the experience of a grower called “Atmosphere” who gets 1 gram of dried bud for each watt of electricity used (that would be a harvest of 8 ounces from a 250 watt HPS light!). “Atmosphere” had a thread back on Overgrow, which is where many of us first encountered this method, and he is held in high regard among folks who grow this way. He visits this thread and provides solid information based on years of experience.

Some critics claim that the amount of the main cannabinoid, THC, produced by plants grown this way is less than plants that are allowed to mature with a vegetation phase. This opinion is based on a study done many years ago, well before modern gardening techniques took hold, and almost certainly did not test any plants that were grown using this lighting regimen. New tests must be done, that’s all there is to it. More importantly, the empirical evidence from those who have grown this way, and the experience of their friends who have smoked these plants, is that this cannabis is just as potent as any they have ever smoked (strain variety taken into account, of course). If there is any difference in THC percentages, it is minute, and not noticeable to the cannabis consumer.

So pull up a chair, and watch what we do. Keep an open mind, and observe our results. Try growing some of your own crops with this method and then make up your mind as to whether there is some mighty fine ganja to be grown this way.

Im currently working on growing a bag seed in an 8in. container under a 200 w cfl just for shits and giggles, dont really care what results I get, just need a plant going at all times regardless of how large or small otherwise I go through plant withdrawel. :muahaha: But until I get a real grow going with known genetics and proper lighting Im stuck doing a bonzai plant. Im using 12 and a half hrs on and 11 and a half hours off though, the extra half hour of light increases trichrome production up to 25% or so Ive read. Will post pics and more info as I get it, about to check right now to see if its sprouted yet. :rasta:

G

RussianGrower said:
12|12 from seed , Ak-48 , 75-80 days under 400W HPS , 25+g of dry buds.

Was that from one plant? What size pot? Regardless, 400w of electricity for 80 days and not even an ounce, seems really wasteful if you ask me. Next time if you still do 12/12 from seed to harvest, Id use bigger pots and do at least 9 plants.

And yes I realize I kinda contradicted myself between this post and my last post in this thread, so no need to point that out to me. lmao!

Last edited:

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
i think i should put like 20 of sam the skunkmans t haze x skunk#1 straight into 12/12 just for shiets and giggles... too bad i only got 150 watts...

Was that from one plant? What size pot? Regardless, 400w of electricity for 80 days and not even an ounce, seems really wasteful if you ask me. Next time if you still do 12/12 from seed to harvest, Id use bigger pots and do at least 9 plants.
yes,this plant gave 25g.I cutted some buds before harvest:+ 2-5 g more.

On beginning, cycle started with 4 Destroyers with 5 week veg(18/6).Destroyer was main,this plant was makeweight.

Later when 2 male have freed space and started bloom, I have added six 1,5L pots : 2x ak-48,2x White Rhino and 2x Cannabis Sativa Slang. Hereinafter two females was got:ak and WR. WR nearly by half was cut for the
clones to friends,since did not have time to cease to bloom to period.
Pots have large drainage holes and I had simply puted pot in pot, it was got 3l of soil.
May be ,i have another arithmetic for result:25g is $1000 or more in my country...and try to buy so much stuff for such money....$30 for lamp,$60 for ballast....for electricity I paid smaller 10 cents for kilowatt\hour.This one modest plant is completely covers all expenses.
Now I cant grow - authorities red for growers, and I did all seeds buing on my name and adress...and now I waiting for(ready to visit) unexpected guests.Guests are not drugpolicy,is management on fight with organized by criminality.
Also,I think it is necessary for me to put MJ in my life on place on order below.Some friends turned out to be not at all friends:instead "helllo!" - will not fill the tube? and disappeared with horizon after answer "all ended"...and fuck their mouthes

and it was 1st plant,which I weighted - I have gained scales not so long ago.
12|12 from seeds in 1,5L pots.And again not all plants from cycle.

and else,I'm not including weighting into my ritual of the smoking.

Last edited:
12/12 DPSK#1

12/12 DPSK#1

Good thread.

I am currently having a 1st attempt at growing. I germinated 8 DP SK#1 seeds 13 days ago. I had all of them under a 125w blue envirolite for 7 days. It worked ok as I had the light about an inch from the plants. They grew real fast though and the bulb wasn't up to giving them all enough light. So, I decided to put half of them under another envirolite on a 12/12 light regime in what is now their flowering cabinet. It is a 200w red (6400k) envirolite under a reflector. I also have another 125w 6400k for when they get bigger.

I can't believe how well they have grown. I swear, this is the first time I have tried to grow anything so I wasn't expecting to have 8 thriving plants at this stage of my grow career. I was thinking only a couple would make it so...

Anyway, I now have 4 on a veg cycle under the blue 125w and these 4 under the 200w light. The main reason I kind of broke with convention by putting them on 12/12 after a week is to get a harvest asap. I only have a total of 325w of red enviros for the whole flowering process though so don't know what to do if I get more than one female out of these first 4. Really I would prefer to only flower 1 plant at a time with these two lights so I can concentrate the big 200w one that's under the reflector on the top of the plant and manoeuvre the 125w into a position to concentrate on the lower growth of the plant. This is my first grow so I reckon I will leave the LST or SCROG techniques alone for this time. Also, I don't know if LST will kill my plant if it is done while on a 12/12 cycle? Any advice about that would be handy if any of you pros are reading!

Having said that, will it be ok to return any extra females to the veg cycle if I get more than one from this first 4? If not, I will have to decide whether to try flowering 2 plants of the same size at the same time. My cab should be easily big enough and if it isn't, I have loads of bigger areas I could use (the joys of living alone eh) :rasta: I just dunno if my 325w will be up for flowering a couple at a time? Ideally, I would like to flower 1 for a few weeks then put a small one in the cab under the smaller light nearer the bottom of the cab and keep a cyclye like that going.

I would rather chuck one if it means I could end up with a dismal yield by going with too many. If I concentrate on just the one big plant for this go and add smaller ones to sex under the small light and, if female, bring up so I can get staggered harvests and so on and so on, I reckon it will be more of a managable experience. Making mistakes on one plant won't be so costly eh!

That's me in a nutshell. I haven't been able to find any 12/12 from the off grows of the seeds I have used (Dutch Passion SK#1) so will be sure to post my results. I just wish I wouldn't have germed so many at once now. 1st mistake for this novice :bashhead: Still, if I get a female, I will be happy. I just didn't know how successful I would be. I have read loads of guides and threads etc though and just followed instructions! Happy days!

Great thread. Inspiring results etc!

peace

bun2

Last edited:

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Nice thread, kinda long though ay :D still on page 35 but catching up fast... I had some AK47 beans laying around and after seeing the good results dude above got with the AK99 I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Although these seedlings have been under 20/4 lighting for 4 days since germing which took 3 days so they are 7 days from being placed into paper towels to germinate.

They will be switched to 12/12 tomorrow.

Rather than start a new thread Ill ask in here, out of these seeds,

Bogglegum
Sweet Tooth #3
Mandala (White Satin or Kalichakra) <--great beans
Nirvana packs of W.Rhino,ICE,Papaya,NL,NLxHAze,PPP,AK48

what would your choice be 12/12 from start under a 250 hps, soil mix.
starting 6 because of males and I can add/change lighting. Have never grown SWT#3 or BOG so at least one of each on them.

Smoke68

With Nirvana seeds, you will have much more varied phenotypes. This is NOT to say that they are not as good/potent/whatever, I just think there is far to much variation in offspring to to a 12/12 from seed to the efficiency that the plants would need. With that said, Ice and papaya have always been on my list of seeds to try and with AK48 sitting in the drawer. I have heard Sweet Tooth 3 tastes wonderful. I personally am a Mandala fan, but IDK... if I had bogglegum, it would be the first(maybe 2nd to Hashberry).
Mad Hatter, In order of germinating, I would go;
Bogglegum
Kalichakra
Sweet Tooth#3
White Satin
Ice
Ak48
Papaya
W rhino
NL
NLxhaze
PPP I heard good colors Very weak smoke

Smoke good call my stoner friend. I never even thought of the variation. flowering different times, different heights etc. The Bogglegum is a stablized strain. the sweet tooth is F2. My experience/opinion on seeds is similar to yours smoke. I've only seen the Kali, WS, AK48, W Rhino, PPP finished and I liked Kali as a daytime smoke, smelled great before burning. PPP was weak stone AK was airy(I didnt grow) but strong in Mind and Body, Rhino was amazing but a friend grew that one in dirt and he let it go a long time almost 80 days. NONE were 12/12 from start. I would like get a Male and Female together for some fun time seed making for future use. After seeing what Mandala strains did from a small seedling to small bush in two weeks time, DWC. I dont think clones are where it's at for me. A bogglegum father mixed with Mandala or nirvana strain could be one I'd actually do. thanks again smoke

G

Sour Diesel IBL, what I take to be the NYCD pheno, 85 days of 12/12 from seed in a 1.5 litre pot of Canna coco handwatered daily with An Monkey Juice and Atami PK13-14. She's turned purple due to it being winter here and lights on temps are 19-22 and lights out 10-14. I reckon she has 5-10 days left as the triches are a mix of clear and cloudy with the odd slightly amber one. The buds are pretty dense and pretty frosty, hopefully I will get 15g from this lady. She had been grown under a 250w HPS and is just under 2 foot tall. The other SD IBL female is 3 foot tall and toally different, completely green and with very large calyxes but more open structured buds.

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

Damn, what an awesome thread! I have just read through (almost) all 71 pages of this over the last week before posting. (I only say almost because I just scrolled down through about 10 of the pages looking for pictures only :rasta: )

I'm definitely interested in giving this a shot right now.

I'm doing my first grow right now under 400 HPS in a 3.5' X 3.5' closet (only about 2/3s of it is being used for plants at the moment.

I'm growing out some very sativa dominant plants that smell wonderful, but they're taking for freaking ever to finish up (40 days flower after 2 months veg and still just starting to produce small colas all over my SCROG).

Anyway, I have a White Rhino X White Widow male clone that I'm trying to root under 12/12. If I can get this rooted and put off a few balls I'm going to try to pollenate a couple cuts of my sativa dominant strain and use the seeds to do 12/12 from seed. So this will be a sativa/indica hybrid (assuming I can get this clone to root...otherwise I have a couple more beans I can toss looking for a good male)

Few questions.....I've been thinking of using a 32 litre (8 gallon) rubbermaid tote, filling it with soil and putting maybe 4 girls in this. Should I start these in 16 ounce cups or 2 litres to sex or should I just put them all in and cull the males as they show?

Don't know if atmosphere is still here, but I noticed he had offered some beans for people to try out....are these still available?

Hope to join the ranks of the 12/12 from seed group soon (actually thinking about getting rid of a 3 gallon pot I have filled with 2" clones and replacing with a trial run of 12/12 from seed.)

Last question...All of my seeds are "bagseed", but I do know the genetics of a few. I've got White Rhino X LUI White Rhino X White Widow, and some more bagseed which I believe is sativa dominant, but haven't tried yet. Also have some bagseed that are either from trainwreck or sensi star mothers (not sure which.) I'll probably try a few of these, but do any of these stand out as especially good (or bad) for the 12/12 from seed method?

lrdjax

British_Hempire said:
Sour Diesel IBL, what I take to be the NYCD pheno, 85 days of 12/12 from seed in a 1.5 litre pot of Canna coco handwatered daily with An Monkey Juice and Atami PK13-14. She's turned purple due to it being winter here and lights on temps are 19-22 and lights out 10-14. I reckon she has 5-10 days left as the triches are a mix of clear and cloudy with the odd slightly amber one. The buds are pretty dense and pretty frosty, hopefully I will get 15g from this lady. She had been grown under a 250w HPS and is just under 2 foot tall. The other SD IBL female is 3 foot tall and toally different, completely green and with very large calyxes but more open structured buds.

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg
Dude YoU RuLe
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: