What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

100% Sativas (Have you ever tried one?)

yoss33

Veteran
Nirvana's Haze, great euphoric high.
picture.php

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
NLXHaze 2006

NLXHaze 2006

I grew a wonderful NLXHaze (Nirvana 05) here back in 2006. The plant grew very nice and seemed to like the Colombian sun & soil. The plant was very sativa but grew and finished fast producing hybrid flowers of the highest quality.

attachment.php

I loved every aspect of this girl; the effect was strong and came on racy, fast heart beating but intensely euphoric at the same time.

attachment.php

After an hour or so the “up” sativa effect turns into a body numbing Indica stone that still finished clean. It was really nice stuff and I believe this to represent a perfect balance of sativa & Indica.

Peace from Colombia!

Last edited:

sprinkl

Veteran
I grew:

Bushmans (Herbaria)
Thai82 (Green Hornet)
Original Haze (Seedsman)
Durban Poison (Dutch Passion)
Kerala (Seedsman)

and some crosses of those.

Some O.Haze buds. Don't have much bag appeal but the effect is one of the best. :)

View Image

Very nice, is that the seedsmans OH? Did you grow more than 1, variation much? How long did it flower? Buds look decently big, what was the yield like?
Can you comment on the other strains as well, Kerala in particular?
Sorry for the load of questions, I've been wondering for ages if I should stock up on some of the Seedsmans old offerings before they are gone... That pic looks like a definite YES to me! edit: and with the poster above popping in, another yes for Seedsman...!

Something I've been pondering...
A lot of people are now crossing sativa dominant hybrids with autoflower strains. The sativa genes means autoflowers with a longer flowering time but a huge increase in yield.
It would be totally awesome if someone would cross PURE sativa's like colombian or malawi with ruderalis, so they could be grown anywhere up to 60N if planted early enough, you could even start them a month or two indoors if needed.
Thing is ruderalis adds unwanted qualities to the high... Though I don't believe anyone ever tried backcrossing until they got a stable strain that only has the autoflowering gene from the ruderalis.
It shouldn't be THAT hard I believe... It would take a lot of time, especially with the longer flowering genetics involved, but that's what decent breeding is all about... Putting in a lot of time.
Colombian X Ruderalis -> Stabilize to F3 to get true autobreeding Colombian Ruderalis hybrid, selecting for Colombian dominance as well. Backcross this to the original Colombian. Again stabilize the autoflowering gene in the F3 cross and select for Col dominance.
Now you have a backcross that is on paper 75% Colombian genes but in reality much more colombian dominant already.
Repeat once more and you have 87.5% Colombian genes... Repeat once more and you have 93.75%. By then the ruderalis high should be virtually gone even if you didn't particularly select for Col dominance, and you have a nearly pure sativa strain that can grow anywhere a 5-6 month season is possible.

This would also be a great parent for future autoflower crosses. Cross any plant with this AutoColombian and stabilize the F3's, not only would you have a true autoflower with big yields, it would also infuse a great sativa high in the strain, rather than having to select against the dumbing ruderalis stone and never really getting rid of it...
If you think about it this could really be one of the most interesting crosses ever as they the extremes of the spectrum. 10 weeks lifetime ruderalis crossed with 1+ years equatorial sativa's.

Sorry for the autoflower rambling in a pure sativa thread tho, maybe I should start a new thread...

sprinkl

Veteran

I have read that thread, quite inspiring :)
It's great what he is doing but iirc he is only stabilizing the autohybrid/haze cross. Offcourse I haven't tried it so what do I know really but I have a suspicion the autoAK influence on the high will still be present in a lot of individuals... The strain will also be too unstable be able to use it predictably in outcrosses.
Though I will continue my rambling in that thread ;-)

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
pure sativas,,, only thing that was available in 1979 over in east london was sativa,,thai stick/weed or jamaican sensi or lambsbread and ordainary ja weed,thats what we got brought up on,lambsbread being a premium even back then,,as i understand these weeds were all sativa,,,cheers s2

DreamsofTesla

Veteran
Last year was the first time I grew a pure sativa(with success) some panama red from Ace seeds... I loved it. Nice inbetween high that grows on you, when it was gone I missed it...

That is really a thing of beauty. I've been wanting to check out some of the Ace line, I'm definitely getting the Panama Red if it's available when I reorder.

:tiphat:

<3 Tesla

Happy 7

Very nice, is that the seedsmans OH?

F2's I've made of Seedsman's OH.

Did you grow more than 1

10 Seedsman OH
~50 F2s (incl. males)

variation much?

Not really, 1 male and 2 females were better yielding and/or a bit faster flowering than the rest. Those became parents of the F2s.

How long did it flower?

After vegging to maturity (pre-flowers) they flowered for
15-17 weeks.

Buds look decently big, what was the yield like?

Most plants produce wispy buds. Those in the picture are from 4 different F2 plants and look much denser than they really are.
Yield is hard to comment on if one considers almost 3 months vegging and 4 months of flowering and then end up with 1-2 oz from 6' plants. Grown indoors it's some pretty expensive bud. ;)

Can you comment on the other strains as well, Kerala in particular?
The Bushmans is great. Good yielder, fast finisher (8-9 weeks), 100% spacey sativa high with almost no body stone, moderately potent. I estimate ~14% THC. Excellent to cross with long flowering, low yielding sativas. :)

The Kerala I didn't care for. A bit too ordinary in effect and smell.
Extremely long flowering up to 20 weeks. I didn't grow it again, not worth the time.

The Durban Poison was nice old school smoke. Yield was good. The high very heady a bit too mild for my taste, though.

The Thai82 was a great pack of seeds.
The plants not easy to grow. Yield was better than the OH. The high surprisingly heavy with an almost morphine like vibe.
Flowering took almost 4 months.

I've crossed O.H. F2s to Lowryder#2. Then selected for Haze traits and early maturation. Had some outdoors this year @54°N. Started flowering 2nd week of August and finished last week of October. Produced some excellent smoke. Almost as good as the O.H. :)

The Thai82 was crossed to a selection of Bushmans F2s.
So far my favorite pure sativa cross.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
I've smoked and grown lots of sativas in the last 44 years. I prefer the high to indicas or crosses. But if growing outdoors the indicas and crosses are indispensible this far north.

pastor

Happy 7 said:
Not really, 1 male and 2 females were better yielding and/or a bit faster flowering than the rest. Those became parents of the F2s.

:tiphat:
first, thanks for sharing informations,

about the male: how do you appreciate it? you fully flower him to know his yield potential? or it was the faster one?
always hard to judge staminate plant, i like to know how others growers do that...
the most time i let all my males pollinate ( except mutants or hermies of course) the females to make first generation but what a mess...

your bushman x thai 82 is very nice, the dark green leaves come from bushman side?

Happy 7

about the male: how do you appreciate it?
you fully flower him to know his yield potential?

I judge yield of males by flowering them and then look at the flowers to plant height ratio.
I usually also select for strong stems and strong smell (the stinkier, the better) but since stretch and flowering time were the traits that needed most improvement, I've selected the male which did best in those categories.

your bushman x thai 82 is very nice, the dark green leaves come from bushman side?
Yes, the Bushmans turn dark green when confronted with ample amounts of nitrogen.

Edit: Bushmans x Thai82 end of week 5 pics here.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Yes I have, and to be honest I can see why they are hybridized so often. They take so long and yield so little. More often than not they aren't anything special. I always gave credit to "la mano negra" who has grown more exotic strains than practically anyone I've ever talked to and he often used to say "if only the smoke were as exotic as its origins".

It makes me laugh because that is exactly how I thought about sativas when I first started growing them. Like if it came from the jungles of the Congo it had to be as wild and mystical as the Congo itself. More often than not the weed is mediocre. Sometimes even garbage. Very rarely is exotic herb good herb if the truth is told.

But my god yes, I get so aggravated with "sativa" lovers. Like you said they will call "blue dream" a pure sativa. More aggravating are people that don't even know what the weed is and they call it pure sativa. A pure sativa with buds that are dense, round, and shaped like an egg? No.

It also aggravates me because it's like if you grow a plant that takes 5 months to finish you get to call it pure sativa. If your plant takes 75 days you can't complain about "how long these pure sativas take to finish".

Some random pure sativa from mexican brickweed. Has some thai in it I think. Took 20 weeks in 12/12. That is longer than most pure Mexicans.

swayambunath

I've smoked what I can only assume were pure landrace sativas; Keralan, Bengali, some I got in Tamil Nadu that may have been Kerala, Malawi and Zimbabwean village weed. I loved it all.
I unfortunately cannot really grow them where I live now. I do from time to time smoke brick weed which is almost definitely sativa, but it's not my first choice.

therevverend

Veteran
My first grow many years ago was from a bunch of random bag seeds and gift seeds. One turned out to be a pure sativa, took a few weeks longer than the others. It had a banana artificial candy smell and taste, like banana flavored gum. Quite exotic and different than anything I've seen since. The buds were also banana shaped curved spears. You could take a large rolling paper, lick it, and wrap it around one. Light it up and it would burn right down, a banana joint. I could kick myself in the ass, I wasn't too good at cloning yet. I tried but it was too lanky and the leaves were too big so it wilted quickly. All my attempts failed and I lost it. Wish I knew where it came from, it was a fun fun plant and great smoke.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
There is a school of thought that all marijuana was originally the same plant. As it wondered around the globe the genetics mutated to survive the various climates and gave the appearance of different strains. Indeed, if you plant a landrace seed in the wrong place today it will not be that good... as in harvesting a sativa in a colder climate before it is ripe and so on.

So you have all these landraces that have mutated and evolved into strains that could survive in whatever climate and then you have breeders mixing and matching them into what we call nowadays as hybrids....

So if you had a kilogram of any kind seed and planted them outside where you live and let them seed themselves, in a few generations what you would have is a strain that has adapted to the environment. The weaker traits (relative to the environment) would select themselves out.

In summary I say there is no such thing as a pure sativa or pure indica.

But yes, I am old enough and well traveled. I have smoked what we are describing here as pure sativa.

The Hatter

Veteran
There is a school of thought that all marijuana was originally the same plant. As it wondered around the globe the genetics mutated to survive the various climates and gave the appearance of different strains. Indeed, if you plant a landrace seed in the wrong place today it will not be that good... as in harvesting a sativa in a colder climate before it is ripe and so on.

So you have all these landraces that have mutated and evolved into strains that could survive in whatever climate and then you have breeders mixing and matching them into what we call nowadays as hybrids....

So if you had a kilogram of any kind seed and planted them outside where you live and let them seed themselves, in a few generations what you would have is a strain that has adapted to the environment. The weaker traits (relative to the environment) would select themselves out.

In summary I say there is no such thing as a pure sativa or pure indica.

But yes, I am old enough and well traveled. I have smoked what we are describing here as pure sativa.

You do make a good point. There is a lot of grey area with the land races. Just because a highland Himalayan charas strain is described as a Sativa doesn't mean its going to come out anything like a strain out of the equatorial lowland tropics like the Congo or Columbia. The Charas strains are usually described as 100% sativas but at the same time they will often have many intermediate inidica like traits in structure and even some in the effects department. I think the indica/sativa distinction is useful up to a point but at the same time it has its limitations, particularly once people start domesticating and hybridizing the original land race adapted strains.

For instance, you can take a pure tropical columbian landrace strain and by simply always selecting for indica-like traits for a dozen generations you wind up with what looks like a sativa/indica hybrid that is technically still 100% pure tropical sativa.

It's one of the reasons that almost all commercial sativa dominant strains tend to drift towards more indica like plants the longer the strain is around. People tend to love those short and dense flowering indica traits and thus select for it, often unconsciously. It's just the plant they liked most and decided to keep as a mother or breed with others with similar traits. Eventually as enough people select for those commercially viable indica traits the strain changes. Look at the difference between early and later Kali Mist for instance. Or silver haze etc.

Latest posts

Latest posts