What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

100% Sativas (Have you ever tried one?)

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Nice flboy.... i also popped 10 old n 10 new killers, 20 panama red/pink , 13 back2congo some nepjams... all regulars seeds from ace along with some norcal lavender cloneXgsc bx (forumxfireog), sfvXnl, and some old ass 2001 sagamartha yumboldt, really hpe those yums come up... these are preraid stock from when they were at the top of there game.... really need to be preserved. ..

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Nice flboy, great work. Nothing's better for my soul than sativa. I like an occasional puff off the GDP or Tahoe but, for me, Sativa it is.

B

blue_tick

stoney917 what a line up you have there. sounds real good . like to see that report.

virginharvester I to like the sativa. I have a Malawi x pck going for a little change up at times for the evening with a little crown royal. thanks for the kind words

icybryce

Anyone know of some sort of cannabis genome project? It would be cool if we could get an idea of what is actually 100% sativa. Hopefully with things moving towards legalization the time/money can be found for project like this. I know the Adam Dunn crew is doing something trying to track the OG genetics, but that is pretty small in scope.

lifehack

I want to find some grinspoon beans or flower shit i need to try that one.. only because its "known" but nyc haze and piff alike are known aswell... hmm

Limeygreen

Veteran
wasn't the grinspoon variety found from one of Reeferman's varieties, I think panama red x with another sativa (senior garcia if memory serves me correctly)

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
Anyone know of some sort of cannabis genome project? It would be cool if we could get an idea of what is actually 100% sativa. Hopefully with things moving towards legalization the time/money can be found for project like this. I know the Adam Dunn crew is doing something trying to track the OG genetics, but that is pretty small in scope.

....https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=296541

shopkin

I came of age on Mexican in late 60's early 70's. It is telling that the Mexican import was never as good as home-grown from Mexican bag seed. That home-grown was some great weed, but we hadn't figured out how to do a dependable guerrilla grow so it was hit and miss. Somewhere along the line the Mexican changed and they started using hybrids... maybe that was early 80's. And, somewhere along the line life changed and there was no time for growing our own.

I got back into growing in the late 90's, almost Y2K. By that time hybrid nuggets had taken over the street market. I bought some Durban Poison seed from Marc Emery when he was in his heyday. To me, Durban is not as good as the old Mexican genetics. It's not as happy and Durban gets a little groggy late in the day. Luckily, my Durban line was lost when bugs got into the stored seed. A friend gave me a few seed she found in what was supposed to be some Thai. One bowl was really trippy and I had no seed left so I popped them. Been growing this line ever since. I don't know if it's really from Thailand and it does not droop and peg into the ground like Thai is reported to do. The leaves are very narrow, it's pest-free aside from a few leaf miners in the first month and it does not mold when grown uncovered. I grow outside in compost and never add anything that comes in a box, bottle or bag. It is just the right strain for my needs. I have to have something very energetic to get me going in the morning and make a boring job fun... without too many dumb mistakes.

I keep one other line going and it is some sort Hawaiian strain from back in the day. The person that gave it to me called it Auntie but I have not heard that name elsewhere. It has very large sun leaves, Christmas tree shape with a hefty stem that does not break in the wind. I grow in pots and it is usually six or seven feet above the soil in the long season. It never molds which is important here and is almost completely pest-free. I smoke this for recreation. Its very energetic but not as clear-headed as the Thai line. When I smoke this stuff it seems to take forever to make a simple decision.

My kids often give me hybrid seed or cuttings to grow for them under my med card but it's always a one-off and I don't propagate them. I'm still looking for an late night couch-lock strain that does not mold before it's ready to cut when grown uncovered. Many will mold even when grown under plastic if there's a rainy period.

I have bought landrace sativa seed from the usual sources but have yet to find one that works better for me than the line I'm calling "Thai". Right now I'm growing a Guatemala and a Laos. They won't be ready until fall but I'm not impressed by their substance so far.

You can try harvesting sativa a bit earlier to see if you like it better. The earlier you cut the bud, the more racy, trippy and paranoid it will be. In a day or so you get over the trippiness, palpitations and paranoia but the high energy, happy and creative aspects stay with you as long as you are managing the dose. If I see any sign of cloudiness in the trichomes then I feel like I missed the peak.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
If I see any sign of cloudiness in the trichomes then I feel like I missed the peak.

having read your post (great post btw) I can tell you know exactly what you're talking about... and the fact that you look for pure clear trichs tells me... you're hardcore, brother man, pure hardcore ...;)

big shouts to all the curtain twitchers out there ... :)

shopkin

I intended to also mention that if you are supposed to take high blood pressure medicine you may be able to substitute with a tropical sativa. I don't know how it works and you need to smoke it for a few weeks before you see the effect. It could be that it is just the higher daily activity level that lowers the blood pressure.

consuela

I grew some pure oaxacan sativa from seed. I have mixed feelings about pure sativas due to this experience.
The plants were very high maintenance. From 5 seedlings, two died without any plausible cause during veg. Two were hermies and were discarded. Only one was female, was very nute/water sensitive and took its sweet time to lower, over 120 days. Plant was very elegant, with purplish/reddish hues and a mango/passionfruit scent and taste, but took too much space and buds were very airy.

High was good, nearly psychedelic, music sounded great, great for dancing, parties and music festivals. But it induced me too much heart raciness and anxiety. It also made me drink like a bitch.

In the end I think it is an interesting experience to have once or twice, but imho I don't think it's good as an everyday toke. I am thankful there are nowaday balanced hybrids which provide the best of indica and sativa worlds.

Dr.King

Veteran
Ace seeds by me is where it is at for Sativas. Their Oldtimer's Haze is my holy grail by far. The high is far out there and is truly unique, so special. Flowering some Panama Haze, Zamaldelica, Golden Tiger and Purple Haze x Malawi to test them out. Next I'm planning to try Ace's Double Thai and their Thai Stick if I can find some. If I can't find their Thai Stick in stock I will order some Gypsy Nirvana's Thai Stick as I have heard they are special as well.

Here are the ones I have tired so far, all very beautiful in their own way. If anyone has any questions about these strains feel free to ask.

Oldtimer's Haze 24 week pheno

cEw4OKL.jpg

Green Haze 28 week pheno

afU3YEa.jpg

Green Haze just the top from a 7 foot tall started from straight 12/12 no veg.

l6Afo62.jpg

Malawi week 14 harvested 2 weeks early IMO but o well. No after pictures didn't have my own camera then was borrowing.

07DUN58.jpg

Panama week 18 pheno. Same as above had to borrow camera so no after photos sorry.

2s2jOFj.jpg

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
Ace seeds by me is where it is at for Sativas. Their Oldtimer's Haze is my holy grail by far. The high is far out there and is truly unique, so special. Flowering some Panama Haze, Zamaldelica, Golden Tiger and Purple Haze x Malawi to test them out. Next I'm planning to try Ace's Double Thai and their Thai Stick if I can find some. If I can't find their Thai Stick in stock I will order some Gypsy Nirvana's Thai Stick as I have heard they are special as well.

Here are the ones I have tired so far, all very beautiful in their own way. If anyone has any questions about these strains feel free to ask.

Oldtimer's Haze 24 week pheno

View Image

Green Haze 28 week pheno

View Image

Green Haze just the top from a 7 foot tall started from straight 12/12 no veg.

View Image

Malawi week 14 harvested 2 weeks early IMO but o well. No after pictures didn't have my own camera then was borrowing.

View Image

Panama week 18 pheno. Same as above had to borrow camera so no after photos sorry.

View Image

Amazing Models :biggrin:

B

blue_tick

dr.king bravo and out standing patients on the oth. Malawi and panama looks outstanding

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man oh man those are beauties Dr. King! The Panama looks like mine did right before chop.

You got me thinking about getting the Oldtimers Haze.