What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10 Common Indicators for Highway Drug Interdiction

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Also, here is an open question to anyone who's experienced a k-9 search.

If you consent to a K9 vehicle search, because nothing is in your vehicle, but you have a small bag of weed in your underwear for example, is the dog usually asked to sniff you as well as your vehicle?

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some further notes of significance:
While interstate roadblocks are indeed forbidden, this link the case law behind it, that does not apply to state routes, and such will find a different level of enforcement, which comes into play regarding the above notes...ie: Taking alternate routes to avoid more heavily patrolled routes.

As above, routes taken are also included in indicators.

Older article worth a read for those who have not previously:Road work: racial profiling and drug interdiction on the highway

North Carolina Highway Traffic Study (PDF-Review table of contents for areas of interest)

South Carolina, Operation Strike Force, 20 agencies. One agency's "cut of the profits" enough to buy them 29 new squad cars.

Partial list of law enforcement vehicles by state.(always partial , as far too many variables and departments and units.)

Drug Interdiction Callsigns partial list, global, dated.

deltronZER0

Also, here is an open question to anyone who's experienced a k-9 search.

If you consent to a K9 vehicle search, because nothing is in your vehicle, but you have a small bag of weed in your underwear for example, is the dog usually asked to sniff you as well as your vehicle?

I think the k9 would smell the shit in my pants as well as the dime in my undies

goody420

Bottom line is a refusal will bring the dogs and a more thorough search.

I'll take a human search over a k9 and a thorough search anytime.

read this

ATLANTA (MyFOX Atlanta) -- The Gwinnett Sheriffs Department K-9 unit arrested two men Thursday night after they found nine kilos of cocaine in their vehicle, two handguns and $10,449 in cash.

Michael Anthony Grant, 34, of Savannah and Stacy Marice Benton, 34, were arrested after a Gwinnett Sheriffs K-9 deputy stopped the vehicle on I-85 south just south of Jimmy Carter Boulevard on a window tint violation.

During the traffic stop, the deputy asked if he could look inside the vehicle and they consented to a search. He found a hidden compartment with the cocaine, weapons and cash inside.

The handguns recovered were a .45 caliber and .380 caliber.

Michael Anthony Grant, 34, of Savannah and Stacy Marice Benton, 34, of Savannah were both charged with trafficking cocaine and are being held without bond at the Gwinnett County Jail.

goody420

It all depends on the situation to whether you refuse or not, I got stopped once, they asked to search, i told them no, they brought out the dogs, the officer yanked at his chain and made him scratch my trunk, they then told me they were going to search because the dog hit for drugs in the trunk. they searched the car, didnt find any drugs but they did find something illegal but it wasnt related to any drugs, after spending thousands on an attorney and a few months in jail, the case ended up gettin thrown out because it was an illegal search. I may post up the police report if anyone is interested in seeing it.. oh and they also pulled me over for a bullshit reason, I was riding in the far left lane doing the speed limit, cop came flying up behind me, he was on my tail, i thought he was going to hit me, so i moved over to the middle lane so he could pass, when I moved over, i was directly behind a truck, he then pulled me over and said I was following too closely.

but back to the topic, in my case, if I had not refused to the search, it would not have been thrown out.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
goody420 said:
It all depends on the situation to whether you refuse or no
I've stated many times there is no single answer/best solution for any situation.

I agree.
I was riding in the far left lane doing the speed limit, cop came flying up behind me, he was on my tail, i thought he was going to hit me, so i moved over to the middle lane so he could pass, when I moved over, i was directly behind a truck, he then pulled me over and said I was following too closely.
Quite familiar myself with them "creating the violation", have experienced myself, and mentioned above once or twice.
but back to the topic, in my case, if I had not refused to the search, it would not have been thrown out.
As is a link above to a specific case, and that aspect addressed twice. I agree.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
goody420 said:
My whole point of posting that was because YOU said allowing them to search is the best thing to do..
I believe what I stated, and what you quoted above, was "I'll take......"

A statement of personal preference (I've beat more than a few manual searches with fairly significant loads)...that's my personal preference and opinion. Also noted throughout are the variables involved in such.

Entire thread and contents contains a wide variety of information. (One link alone thousands of cases)

Should be noted also that specific department is extremely active/aggressive in their efforts. (Most of their busts arise from "following too closely, window tint offenses and such, and, when you see that?, well :smoke:....article above was Interdiction Team also btw.....but not stated in that specific one)

Last edited:

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
Some peeps resent being pulled over. All the interdiction cops; will have hair triggers, now..:chin:

...whatever you do...don't open the door and get out!...'apprehended and killed'

A shooting that took place today in West Memphis, Arkansas has killed two police officers. Two men opened fire on the pair of officers with AK-47s as they were working along I-40. The suspects were apprehended and killed in a parking lot a short time later.
The officers were running drug interdiction when they pulled over a white van with Ohio tags. Two men exited the van and opened fire with the AK-47s on the officers. Officer Brandon Paudert was killed instantly. Officer Bill Evans died a while later at the hospital.
The identity of the suspects has not been released.
I hate to hear about law enforcement officials getting killed in the line of duty. They risk their lives to get drugs out of our communities and face numerous types of dangerous situations. I feel terrible for the families of these fallen officers, and hope the find some peace knowing their loved ones were working to make our world a better place.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's a big thing right now, affecting quite a bit.....(Talked to a friend who was stopped in that general region this week/past couple days, and, he said he was approached with an unusual display of force and weapons for such a simple stop......)

goody420

And another thing I would like to mention after reading more posts, IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT TYPE/COLOR/MODEL/AGE CAR YOU ARE IN, THEY LOOK FOR A SPECIFIC TYPE OF PEOPLE, IF YOU ARE WHITE, THE PROBABILITY OF YOU GETTING STOPPED AND SEARCHED IS VERY LOW UNLESS YOU ARE NEAR THE BORDER STATES WITH OUT OF STATES LICENSE PLATES.

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
And another thing I would like to mention after reading more posts, IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT TYPE/COLOR/MODEL/AGE CAR YOU ARE IN, THEY LOOK FOR A SPECIFIC TYPE OF PEOPLE, IF YOU ARE WHITE, THE PROBABILITY OF YOU GETTING STOPPED AND SEARCHED IS VERY LOW UNLESS YOU ARE NEAR THE BORDER STATES WITH OUT OF STATES LICENSE PLATES.

my whole game is all about blending in. i'm white too btw.
but how many bright orange cars do you see on the road vs. standard maroon/dark blue/green cars? all about blending in man.

and cops do take into account make and model. it's a proven statistic that most drug runners use older makes and models because if they get caught they don't want a brand new car to be confiscated. cops know this.

i don't quite understand this. when your moving 20 kilos of coke. what the fuck does another 30 thousand matter. whether it gets taken or not. newer cars aren't as suspect to drug interdiction officers.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Really?.....

So then a 73 year old handicapped white man on oxygen would be safe then.......

Profiling individuals is, in general, acknowledged by every training source in US as non effective and counter productive to the job. Fact.

(Note: That is actually a fairly good article, with quite a lot of points contained for people who actually read the info and links contained in them. I'd really be quite surprised if people actually noted the most significant statements in it, one of which is: "MEG investigates many local drug cases and conducts some of its own interdiction operations on the interstate." The person who PM'd me regarding my statement earlier that they do,[/B/ (firmly disagreeing btw) might want to take note btw :smoke:......or the one who questioned my statements about teams working service exits, "Agents have “consensual encounters” with drivers along I-80 in which they approach drivers who are already stopped at a gas station or other location and ask them questions",might also be of interest :smoke:...

Please......you fuckin guys think I don't know this game? :smoke:...:biglaugh:

Last edited:

goody420

my whole game is all about blending in. i'm white too btw.
but how many bright orange cars do you see on the road vs. standard maroon/dark blue/green cars? all about blending in man.

and cops do take into account make and model. it's a proven statistic that most drug runners use older makes and models because if they get caught they don't want a brand new car to be confiscated. cops know this.

i don't quite understand this. when your moving 20 kilos of coke. what the fuck does another 30 thousand matter. whether it gets taken or not. newer cars aren't as suspect to drug interdiction officers.

Well i only speak from personal experience, my 1st experience with profiling was the one i mentioned in my post earlier, I was in a black new model altima, I've been profiled twice since then, 1 time i was in a brownish color new model corolla, and the other i was in a blue dodge avenger. I didnt have anything on me either times but 1 stop was for doing 75 in a 70 an the other was for following to closely(again). All of this happened on I-20. I recall a couple times i've seen mexicans pulled over, 1 time i saw one in an older honda accord and another mexican was in a lincoln navigator. Also when I did my time for the bullshit charge, it was in a very small country town, the jail had 60 cells total, 90% of the inmates were out of town/out of state mexicans/blacks. They focus on minorities because the chances of finding drugs is much higher than stopping a white person.

goody420

Really?.....

So then a 73 year old handicapped white man on oxygen would be safe then.......

Profiling individuals is, in general, acknowledged by every training source in US as non effective and counter productive to the job. Fact.

(Note: That is actually a fairly good article, with quite a lot of points contained for people who actually read the info and links contained in them. I'd really be quite surprised if people actually noted the most significant statements in it, one of which is: "MEG investigates many local drug cases and conducts some of its own interdiction operations on the interstate." The person who PM'd me regarding my statement earlier that they do,[/B/ (firmly disagreeing btw) might want to take note btw :smoke:......or the one who questioned my statements about teams working service exits, "Agents have “consensual encounters” with drivers along I-80 in which they approach drivers who are already stopped at a gas station or other location and ask them questions",might also be of interest :smoke:...

Please......you fuckin guys think I don't know this game? :smoke:...:biglaugh:

You do know a large amount of busts are from interdiction officers getting TIPS right? and another thing I haven't seen mentioned is that known drug traffickers/associates are now being put into a system, certain interdiction teams around the country are equipped with automatic license plate readers that will alert them if you are a trafficker or an associate of 1 and they will stop you.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
goody420 said:
You do know a large amount of busts are from interdiction officers getting TIPS right?
They're called "whisper" stops. (originating from 3rd party/agency intel), and, a "large amount"?.

I would say there is zero supporting anything more than a mere fraction.

Where would they get the time for 1,500+/- random stops a month in some cases if they already had a full schedule.
and another thing I haven't seen mentioned is that known drug traffickers/associates are now being put into a system, certain interdiction teams around the country are equipped with automatic license plate readers that will alert them if you are a trafficker or an associate of 1 and they will stop you.
Automatic license plate readers are becoming the norm for almost all across the country, the first priority being stolen and felony warrants on registered owner.

I'm not sure if your referring to EPIC, which is not even necessarily traffickers and/or associates, but compiled data of all vehicles and individuals reported into the system by various agencies.

It is also the norm for city, county, state and task forces to report interactions with "major violators" to the DEA immediately.

That being said, I wouldn't necessarily agree 100% with any of the above.

I would welcome any documentation relating to the above, as I am sure all would.

Of note:
There are many "transportation groups" (No, not "cartels", 2 completely different matters :smoke:), along southwest border who utilize enormous amounts of stolen vehicles (Guess they never heard of the plate readers :smoke:)

I can insert some material regarding such. I actually knew someone within one of them that went down recently.

I do also have longstanding intimate knowledge of Southwest border, and could list many interesting details/specifics of counter measures by transportation groups but will not as they are extremely effective and not widely known by LE.