What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10 Common Indicators for Highway Drug Interdiction

tetragrammaton

Veteran
As far as getting a speeding ticket, if you've had warnings, but no actual ticket, and you get stopped for speeding, I'd advise you not be honest about your warnings.

I once was pulled over coming back from a concert. I handed the ticket to the officer in addition to my license and registration, lol. Anyway, I was going 70 in a 55, because I just came off of 70.

He wasn't really rude, but he wasn't friendly either. He asked me if I had any other tickets, and I said "No, but I got a warning last week". He then gave me a 175 dollar ticket. My friend who was the passenger then informed me I probably would have just got another warning if I would have kept quiet about my former warning.

I also believe profiling is more common on highways and larger cities than in actual towns.

For instance, I was pulled over many times during my hard drug days, and was never questioned. At the time of getting pulled over, I physically looked like drugs were taking their toll on me, my clothes were ripped and stained, my car was trashed, etc...

Thanks to information such as what's in this thread, I was able to act calm, and not raise any further suspicion. Only once was I asked to step out of my vehicle, patted down, and asked for consent when I was high, and it was because I had just smoked, probably smelled like weed, and my eyes were red. I was also visibly nervous, but I consented to a search because nothing was in my vehicle.

A lot of information in this thread is highly beneficial to everyone, not just those with large amounts driving cross-country.

It all depends on how you handle yourself. I can't stress that enough.

I was once pulled over in a large city which I am not from. I was with an African American, but he was from my town. Anyway, I had just picked up 2 oz, and the African American picked up a sandwich bag full of methadone wafers. On our way back onto the highway, we had to drive through this street which had a stoplight at the end. A cop was behind me. I was high on the methadone and a few grams that I had just smoked. The cop was directly behind me, and when I got to the red light, I stopped, made sure no one was coming, and turned.

Instantly he turned on his lights. I told him I was from out of town, and my story matched with the African American. He said "do they not have stop lights in (your town)?" and I didn't have an answer. I made up some story that we were visiting my family, and that I was confused, because some lights stay red all the time in that city, you treat them as a stop sign. Once everything came back clean, such as my license, etc... he called my name over his megaphone, and had me come to his car where he handed me back my license and said "Get the fuck out here", and then sped off.

Obviously I got lucky, as I was envisioning them searching my car.

statusquo

I'm going to have to disagree with you IsmokeKush. If you deny a search it doesn't automatically imply you are carrying - even a non drug user should be able to come to this conclusion. There are plenty of people who would deny consent even without anything in the car. Also the police department doesn't have the time or the money to have patrol units sit and wait for a K9 unit to come every time joe schmoe refuses a search. If you look the part, maybe they will hold you but otherwise as long as you didn't appear visually nervous or something, they will just let you go/give you the ticket they pulled you over for. A lot of the time it's a moving violation which brings in bank for the city anyways so they've done their job.

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
I'm going to have to disagree with you IsmokeKush. If you deny a search it doesn't automatically imply you are carrying - even a non drug user should be able to come to this conclusion. There are plenty of people who would deny consent even without anything in the car. Also the police department doesn't have the time or the money to have patrol units sit and wait for a K9 unit to come every time joe schmoe refuses a search. If you look the part, maybe they will hold you but otherwise as long as you didn't appear visually nervous or something, they will just let you go/give you the ticket they pulled you over for. A lot of the time it's a moving violation which brings in bank for the city anyways so they've done their job.

first, i never said every that denies a search means they are carrying. if you would thoroughly read this thread you would know cops are trained to know the difference between an attitude refusal and a refusal because someone is hiding something. sure they can be fooled. never said that refusal implies smuggling.

and we aren't talking about cops giving out tickets they pulled you over for. we are talking abut drug interdiction teams. teams of cops that do NOTHING BUT LOOK FOR DRUGS. That is what they are paid to do. so to say the state can't afford it. they have teams specifically for it.

honestly...you guys don't do interstates, and i respect that. you're all talking about cities and what not and that's cool, but almost every single one of my posts refers to interstate travel. and to say that the state doesn't have money for every joe schmoe on the road who refuses a search on the whole big long highway..that isn't how it works.

they will usually set up a 20-50 mile stretch HELL there was a 100 mile stretch of interstate by me where they GUARANTEE that they will have a dog there within THREE COUNT THEM...1...2...3! MINUTES! this is a guarantee and i have seen it with my own eyes.

so yeah like i said before in my earlier posts THEY DON'T ALWAYS call a dog..but if your traveling down the interstate and you get caught in one of those spots. and you refuse a search no matter who you are..they will call a k9 in. and i am not wrong about this. it's what these fucking cops live for. they fucking LOOOOVE when people refuse searches. they get right on the radio and call for back up. why do you think they have k9 units?

btw. a lot of my info. comes from my experience and experience of those around me. some of this info. also come from cops themselves.

anyways..just trying to spread what i know!

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Exactly, there are lots of non-drug users that know their rights and don't want someone ruffling through their belongings. A lot of people have valuables in their cars when they are driving, such as money, cell phone, iPod, documents, gifts, etc... that they don't want being handled especially if there is no justification.

And again, just because you refuse a consent does not mean they will automatically call a K9. A lot of times they are planning on you not knowing your rights, and being intimidated and automatically consenting. Even if they have their own suspicions, they know it takes time and money in order to go through the process of getting a warrant, calling the k9, etc...

As I said, I've been in a situation where refusing consent saved the driver from a lot of trouble.

EDIT: I am strictly speaking about my experience in actual cities, or towns, NOT being pulled over in another state.

Also, from what friends have told me, and from experiences I've read, a lot of these "drug checkpoints" and drug interdiction teams seem to be more on the west coast.

I legally travel to the east coast at least once a year from the midwest, never carrying anything, and usually not even driving, and I've never seen a stretch of cops randomly pulling people over. Every now and then you'll see a state cop parked somewhere, but unless you're car is broken down, or your driving is fucked, I don't see them pulling anyone over. Actually, I see a lot of semi's pulled over, but not cars.

However, I always here about people traveling through the west coast, and hearing about these drug interdictions and drug checkpoints.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
I have a question that I've never had answered.

As I said earlier in one of my posts in this thread, a friend of mine had at least a half ounce in a car that was searched by K9s and they were not alerted.

If an amount of weed is on your person, such as in your underwear, and you consent to a search because nothing is in your vehicle, but they bring a k9, does the k9 come up to you and sniff you, and perhaps, attack your genitals?

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Many Highway Interdiction teams will always have k9 units (plural) and often they will even accompany them as backup on each stop.

They do also act independently also in many locations. (initiating their own stops also)

Saw 6 once (K9 units) in East Texas (40 between Amarillo and OK border) alone conducting stops along a 40+/- mile stretch. (And just as many if not more regular units).

Highway Interdiction. Thread title.

Many k9 units are Interdiction units....

Unless in southern border/hot areas (CA,AZ,NM,TX,etc), in state plates rarely get the attention out of state do.

You guys are talking apples and watermelons.....

Note: Region above, 40, probably the hottest single stretch of highway in the entire US....Coming north FL hot, and anything from border up (CA,AZ,NM,TX the same.)

TN,AR also have their extremely hot points. GA also rabid (MSCIU,Meriwether-Carroll ICU,GSP CIU,etc,etc)...Everywhere actually......just some areas hotter than others, and on and on.....origin vs. destination and access......anything that runs west/east (90/80/70/40/10, etc) or south to North covered.....)

Continuously updated global display of interdictions

Last edited:

U4EA

Yup acting nervous or other visual or verbal tip-off's are what's going to hold you for that K9, if not already there.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
I'd also like to add that while I haven't experienced this myself, I've heard from many well trusted people that when pulled over with a miniscule amount, like a quarter oz or less, being honest with what you have doesn't necessarily mean you are screwing yourself.

I am NOT suggesting to say "Yes officer, I have (x amount) of weed, here it is, sorry", but I have heard that officers take into account your honesty, and on many instances, confiscate the weed, and "let you slide". They are not looking for you and your personal amount, they are looking for the large amounts, the dealers, transporters, etc...

Again, I do not recommend anyone hand over their weed, but I would suggest they access the situation. For instance, if the weed is on their person, or in a spot where it won't likely be found, and they practice information in this thread, they should be fine, and have no risk of the cop finding it.

However, if the car has a visible bag, roaches, etc... or the car smells of fresh smoked weed, I would think you'd be screwed anyway, and would be better off being honest, rather than denying it, and having the cop go through the trouble of getting a k9 to prove something he already knows. Especially if it's not a felony amount.

But again, to clarify, this has never happened to me personally, and I personally would not "be honest" unless I knew for certain I was screwed. Just passing along information. Maybe others can add to it?

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
Many Highway Interdiction teams will always have k9 units (plural) and often they will even accompany them as backup on each stop.

They do also act independently also in many locations. (initiating their own stops also)

Saw 6 once (K9 units) in East Texas (40 between Amarillo and OK border) alone conducting stops along a 40+/- mile stretch. (And just as many if not more regular units).

Highway Interdiction. Thread title.

Many k9 units are Interdiction units....

Unless in southern border/hot areas (CA,AZ,NM,TX,etc), in state plates rarely get the attention out of state do.

You guys are talking apples and watermelons.....

thank you. obviously a lot of you guys haven't traveled across the country more than once. i've been across the country many many times. as well as up and down the east coast and other interstates there. and can't even count how many times i've seen multiple cars pulled over along a few mile stretch. ALL of them being searched.

i once saw 12 fucking cars pulled over within a 3 mile radius. all of them being searched. i'm talking clothes and belonging on the ground trunks and all. scary shit..

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
I'd also like to add that while I haven't experienced this myself, I've heard from many well trusted people that when pulled over with a miniscule amount, like a quarter oz or less, being honest with what you have doesn't necessarily mean you are screwing yourself.

I am NOT suggesting to say "Yes officer, I have (x amount) of weed, here it is, sorry", but I have heard that officers take into account your honesty, and on many instances, confiscate the weed, and "let you slide". They are not looking for you and your personal amount, they are looking for the large amounts, the dealers, transporters, etc...

Again, I do not recommend anyone hand over their weed, but I would suggest they access the situation. For instance, if the weed is on their person, or in a spot where it won't likely be found, and they practice information in this thread, they should be fine, and have no risk of the cop finding it.

However, if the car has a visible bag, roaches, etc... or the car smells of fresh smoked weed, I would think you'd be screwed anyway, and would be better off being honest, rather than denying it, and having the cop go through the trouble of getting a k9 to prove something he already knows. Especially if it's not a felony amount.

But again, to clarify, this has never happened to me personally, and I personally would not "be honest" unless I knew for certain I was screwed. Just passing along information. Maybe others can add to it?

HAHAHAHAHA try that shit in utah or arizona. know someone going to jail for 90 days in AZ for an 1/8..no priors..but i have heard of this in more liberal states. be careful with that.

and we are talking drug interdiction here. i really liked where this thread was going in the beginning. lets get back to it. drop some more knowledge julian. even though i get what you mean..just like the mail interdiction thread. people don't read the whole thread thoroughly all the way through..and so many people have their opinions on things with no cases backing it up.

read the thread people and read the case law links. than post an educated reply about drug interdiction. not...this one time i had weed a refused a search and they let me go. read the case law read the statistics read about drug interdiction TEAMS with multiple k9 units on site.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Julian are you saying that this thread is mainly for western and southern states then? Because I am talking about driving on the highway, from the midwest to the east coast, every year, for almost 20 years, and I have never encountered any of these drug teams?

I am also speaking about being pulled over on highways, in the same. The thread title is not "Crossing State Lines/Highway Drug Interdiction", it's "Highway Drug Interdiction", usually State Police are the ones patroling the highways in the midwest.

Also many of the experiences I shared were on interstates, they just weren't out of state plates.

But again, I'm not being sarcastic or rude, so please don't take it that way, but a lot of this information is valuable for EVERYONE. Not just people in border states out west. Does your information ONLY pertain to those "hot spots"?

Not everyone that reads this thread is someone who is going west and carrying huge loads. There are plenty of people who simply have personal amounts on them when traveling, and this information can pertain to them as well, and save them.

In the midwest, driving on the highway is still a risk, especially if you're driving to a large city such as Chicago or Indianapolis, and you are from out of town. The cops aren't stupid, they know that drugs are sold in their cities, and that plenty of out of towners travel daily to get their dope.

So, I personally think any information regarding getting pulled over on a highway, or in a city directly off a highway if you're from out of town, is valuable, no matter what weight you are carrying.

For instance, in Chicago, cops have been known to bust rich, out of town junkies, only to take their dope and beat the shit out of them, and tell them never to come back. So, knowing how to act, can be valuable to a lot of people, not just your selected demographic.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
HAHAHAHAHA try that shit in utah or arizona. know someone going to jail for 90 days in AZ for an 1/8..no priors..but i have heard of this in more liberal states. be careful with that.

Again, I am not promoting that, and have no personal experience with it. But it has been known to happen frequently in the Midwest. The reality is, not every drug interdiction cop wakes up and says "I fucking hate pot smokers... They all need to be locked up, no matter what the amount."

Some drug interdiction cops acknowledge that weed is not the problem, especially the peaceful stoner with a small amount. They realize that heroin, crack, meth, etc... are a much larger danger to society.

AGAIN, I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE HAND OVER THEIR WEED! I am simply sharing the fact that it has happened to people in the midwest, where less than an oz is just a misdemeanor.

Julian, I really appreciate all the great information you've posted, You just really need to realize that a lot of it can save peoples freedom wherever they are. It doesn't just apply to "out west".

It seems to me that the states that you guys drive through are really harsh. I personally have not experienced that, but I don't see why information regarding the east coast, and/or highways in the midwest is not welcome?

Again, I have no problem with any of you guys, in fact I have a lot of respect for everyone who's posted helpful information.

Peace

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
i don't know how often you go through the midwest? once a year? but i've driven through plenty of times and indiana is one of my least favorite states to drive through. not just because it costs an arm and a leg in tolls for such a small state haha. there is a plethora of police activity in indiana. also ohio tons of cops but they got shitty places to sit..pretty narrow highways..ugh. illinois goin by chicago is also shitty.

and the out of towner plate thing is a fallacy to me. been driving on the interstates for years and years and it's not until you get off the interstates that you have problems with out of state tags. next time your on the interstate count how many different state license plates you see.

as for the most common license paltes driving from east to west and vic versa. i see ALOT of michigan plates goin both ways all the time. very common plate going through the midwest even into nebraska.

anyway. i enjoy the convo. and i agree there should be more here for people going up and down the east coast. but what julian says can apply to anywhere.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
tetragrammaton said:
I am also speaking about being pulled over on highways, in the same. The thread title is not "Crossing State Lines/Highway Drug Interdiction", it's "Highway Drug Interdiction", usually State Police are the ones patroling the highways in the midwest.
Actually, most of the country, as above, is "everyone getting their piece of the pie".

You will have anything from DEA, State, Multi Jurisdictional Task Forces, County, and city all gunning for their stops at the same time......(any city/county interstate passes through)

This was posted above, even with a video link showing a tri agency stop to illustrate.(State, county, and city)
Also many of the experiences I shared were on interstates, they just weren't out of state plates.
The purpose of interdiction if to stop the flow of drug traffic. As such, this usually dictates a source to a destination.
But again, I'm not being sarcastic or rude, so please don't take it that way, but a lot of this information is valuable for EVERYONE. Not just people in border states out west. Does your information ONLY pertain to those "hot spots"?
I don't take it as such.

Pipeline/Convoy training and operations are in 48 (50?) states.
Not everyone that reads this thread is someone who is going west and carrying huge loads. There are plenty of people who simply have personal amounts on them when traveling, and this information can pertain to them as well, and save them.
I would say seal and pack accordingly.
In the midwest, driving on the highway is still a risk, especially if you're driving to a large city such as Chicago or Indianapolis, and you are from out of town. The cops aren't stupid, they know that drugs are sold in their cities, and that plenty of out of towners travel daily to get their dope.
Chicago Police do not run interdiction units on Illinois interstates to the best of my knowledge. (Actually, after checking, most (not all) of Illinois relies on ISP (who too, have their interdiction units, but more towards the entries into state....80 is a known interdiction route.)
For instance, in Chicago, cops have been known to bust rich, out of town junkies, only to take their dope and beat the shit out of them, and tell them never to come back. So, knowing how to act, can be valuable to a lot of people, not just your selected demographic.
Chicago Police don't run interstate interdiction units on the interstate.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
I live in the Midwest man. I don't know where in Indiana you travel through. There are definitely hot spots in Lafayette and shit, but if you don't live far from Indianapolis, getting on 70 and picking up LBs is not a scary task.

Also, maybe coming from the west there are tolls, but when I travel to New Jersey, the tolls only start in Pennsylvania. I go through Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey every fucking year. Never have I seen drug interdictions set up. Never. Not saying they don't happen, but I've not experienced them in those specific states.

To clarify, perhaps for out of towners Indiana could be bad, especially if you're traveling through weird hilljack places, where truckloads of weed come in. But for actual state residents, as long as you follow information in this thread, you should be fine. Indiana's main problem is meth, and there are cities notorious for production.

You also must not realize that there are areas of Indiana that are EXTREMELY liberal, such as Bloomington. A side note, almost every strain of Cannabis known to man is grown at Indiana University in Bloomington. I forget his name, but a professor there is one of two people in the world to have a license from the DEA to grow and study weed. He is now retired but has now selected some undergrads to continue his work. It is also home to the original Bubblegum which can still be found. Hydro stores everywhere, head shops everywhere, hippies everywhere, etc... So, you really can't talk shit about something that you haven't fully immersed yourself in.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Julian, I am pretty stoned, so I'm sorry if I'm not following correctly.

I'm honestly confused, and sure I've misinterpreted things, and I take full responsibility. What you said did not really contradict what I said.

I said that on my way to Chicago, I don't see drug interdictions. You then verified that. I also then mentioned that traveling on a highway to Chicago to pick up is not without risk. The risk may not be drug interdiction squads, but a risk of being assaulted by police.

And iSmokeKush, what you just said does not contradict anything I said. Driving (in my instance) to the east coast every year from the midwest, I see countless state plates, and no drug interdiction squads.

I'm not saying they don't exist, it seems they are everywhere in the states you guys speak of, but what you are saying, and what I am saying go hand in hand.

The out of town/state people seem to have more problems once they get off the interstate, like once they are in the actual known drug spots, or coming back from them.

I'm not trying to get off track or take away from the thread, but the experiences I've shared with you guys have happened to me, and I have been saved THANKS TO INFORMATION learned in threads like this one, which goes to show that the information in here can apply to a wide variety of situations.

Don't worry, I won't post anymore in this thread, I didn't mean to upset anyone. I was simply sharing information that I thought could help people.

Peace.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Highlighting relevant points:
tetragrammaton said:
I live in the Midwest man. I don't know where in Indiana you travel through. There are definitely hot spots in Lafayette and shit, but if you don't live far from Indianapolis, getting on 70 and picking up LBs is not a scary task.

Also, maybe coming from the west there are tolls, but when I travel to New Jersey, the tolls only start in Pennsylvania. I go through Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey every fucking year. Never have I seen drug interdictions set up. Never. Not saying they don't happen, but I've not experienced them in those specific states.
What exactly do you think you would "see" "set up"....(With all due respect, it doesn't sound as though you previously knew what to look for :smoke:.....let me know next trip what you "see" :smoke: (Now that aware:smoke:....)

Bet you'll see a little more than previous :smoke:...

While traffic (contraband) does indeed flow in every direction, by the places you mention, it has subsided a little, but units still in force.

CA,AZ,NM,TX,FL plates in Ohio/NJ/PA?, well, I think you'd see a little more interest :smoke:.....

New Jersey is one of the founding fathers of Highway Interdiction btw...(NJ and NM. NM was first I believe. Pipeline was based on NM/NJ input)

Every state mentioned has enforcement in place 24/7.....IN plates in Ohio, PA?....and depending on other specifics?...not surprised you haven't seen any action.....

statusquo

first, i never said every that denies a search means they are carrying. if you would thoroughly read this thread you would know cops are trained to know the difference between an attitude refusal and a refusal because someone is hiding something. sure they can be fooled. never said that refusal implies smuggling.

and we aren't talking about cops giving out tickets they pulled you over for. we are talking abut drug interdiction teams. teams of cops that do NOTHING BUT LOOK FOR DRUGS. That is what they are paid to do. so to say the state can't afford it. they have teams specifically for it.
Indeed I was not talking about interstate, glad this has been clarified on our behalf. I realize the whole thread was about teams specifically meant for this but it seemed like you were addressing a normal traffic stop. This is what I was addressing and wanted to make sure we didn't have a bunch of people thinking the best thing to do is consent to a search during a routine stop.

As for you never saying this, you are right but it seemed like you implied it... Anyways no hard feelings! (BTW I have read the whole thread, closely as well).

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Julian, I am referring specifically to never seeing a stretch of officers one after another, with people being pulled over and searched. I simply have not seen it on my yearly drive through Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. I've seen plenty of State Police patrolling, and driving. I've seen plenty of Semi's being pulled over. I just have simply not seen any of the action that you guys speak of.

I don't doubt it happens frequently in other states, but in my experience I have not seen what you speak of.

And I don't know what to take of your comment of "it doesn't sound like you previously knew what to look for?"

Um... no, everytime I've been pulled over, it's been a direct result of a traffic violation that I take responsibility for. The times that could have gone bad, did not, thanks to me practicing the information that you are sharing with us all.

I really think my posts are being misinterpreted. I am not contradicting ANYTHING you guys say, especially since you guys have experienced this stuff. I am simply sharing MY experience as an Indiana resident that needs to get on a highway to pretty much go anywhere.

I am also sharing the fact that I personally have not encountered drug interdiction squads on my yearly travel to New Jersey, and believe me, I am looking everywhere, as I am constantly smoking joints. I am not saying they don't exist, I am simply saying I have never experienced any problems being an out of stater, traveling across state lines, with cannabis on me.

Relax.