What's new

1 swamp + 32gallon trashcan x 20 = ?

still2big

Looks like a plan! I wouldn't advise watering the seedling cups with underneath watering unless you fill the whole tote up with water and pour it all out (ebb and flood).. I've seen it time and time again, allowing water to sit in the bottom of the water catch for long periods of time prevents oxygen from getting to the roots and kills any that are under the water line, leading to less root mass, and this will also promote root rot fungi which can quickly colonize on the roots and make for unhealthy plants...

Go ahead and poke holes in the bottom of the carrier, and use a watering can to totally saturate all soil in the cups. water until it runs out the bottom of the cup... This will allow all the roots in the cup to receive adequate water, and will promote a thicker root ball, instead of growing a few diseased roots at the bottom of the cup and none up above.... :)

Nice hearing from someone i know has been there! You are right, the watering from the bottom didnt work worth a crap.

Doing it the way you said pretty much. Working much better...

keke.nz

hey still2big, looks like this grow will be a beaut! i like how you think. got a little big of luging soil there but it'll all be well worth the effort im sure bro. keep it up ill be checking in a bit.

peace keke

still2big

using native soil in a swamp aint gonna work.....

Dont need a donkey, just a little more cock and balls than brains....but thats fine with me...lol

F

fatcat666

hey bro the guides all reccomend approx 5-10lbs of lime per swamp tube.... depends on how much soil ya use i guess and the ph of the swamp. throw a bit in there i doubt it can hurt in a swamp

yahhh i definately got more balls than brians when it comes to this kind of stuff. cant wait for the season to get going reading ur log and thinking about mine gets me so anxious! i still got snow!

still2big

Very nice! I love swamp grows! Are those Palmetto I see in some of your pics?

Thanks for stopping by BACKCOUNTRY! Ive gotten endless info from your post...thanks :joint: and yeah those are Palmettos in some of the pics. The seedlings are at the edge of the swamp for now so i can watch em better.

still2big

hey bro the guides all reccomend approx 5-10lbs of lime per swamp tube.... depends on how much soil ya use i guess and the ph of the swamp. throw a bit in there i doubt it can hurt in a swamp yahhh i definately got more balls than brians when it comes to this kind of stuff. cant wait for the season to get going reading ur log and thinking about mine gets me so anxious! i still got snow!

5-10lbs it is then. I think i remember reading something like that as well in one of the swamp tube threads. Still gotta test the PH of the soil out there too.

ya gotta have more balls than brains crawlin thru the swamps! Best of luck this year man.

confused

Good luck moving all that soil. Yikes.

I carried 10 gallons water a little less than a mile and was done for the day. Can't imagine a truck load of soil through swamp.

You have to combat ticks as much as I do?

bluebuds

wow dude this grow is going to be sweet! best of luck to you! hope all goes well. also when it floods you probably already do but id keep a machette on you for gators as a pistol would attract uneeded attention, -bluebuds

still2big

Confused-yeah man the ticks suck. Get a good high powerd insect repelant from Bass Pro and it helps alot.

Bluebuds- Im hoping the gators wont be too much of a problem. Depends on how much it rains though..

still2big

Well i had to move the babies indoors for the day. Massive storms around here at the moment. Really glad i had them close enough to bring inside this morning. I can only imagine what my tomatoes and peppers are going thru right now...:fsu:
They are all pretty strong. We have had a lot of wind the past few days so I think thats helped alot. Im wishing like hell i had my trashcans out to catch some of this rain. Hopefully ill get em this week...

picture.php

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
yeah i keep having to bring my stuff inside, what a pain!

I cant wait till the season is REALLY here

Goodluck, besafe!
ArcticBlast

Lighten up!

Lighten up!

Those sprouts are getting very spindly.

They appear to need Both a strong dose of light, and some support.

It looks like you planned ahead and left enough room for another 3/4 inch of soil to help support the stems. Slightly pre-moistened, it will compress a bit & leave room for watering when needed.

Did I miss it, or was there a mention of a wick system to "auto-water" the containers? If standing water is predictable, it would seem the obvious choice .... except ... I wonder what effect the ground clutter and soil have when it stews under standing water. Is the the water clear or reddish stained? Ask at a nearby garden supply outlet what effects, if any, these tannins and other stuff could have on your "veggies".

Of course, you want to make sure to avoid skin contact with that water, especially any open scratches. Gators could be a hazard, true, but in shallow water the bigger threats are probably snakes and leaches. There's a new hazard that's appeared in Florida recently that should be very carefully considered: Pythons. There are many of them large enough to kill you. This is no joke. Be aware of them, and either have a partner, or Several knives or other hand weapons available.

still2big

Bass Akwards- they are only a few days old. Getting about 4-6 hrs of direct sunlight per day. They will be moved out to the trash cans as soon as i get em in. They are pretty strong so far..

Aero1- thanks man...

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Confused-yeah man the ticks suck. Get a good high powerd insect repelant from Bass Pro and it helps alot.

Same, anything that has permethrin in it is good. Stuff I got is for clothes says it lasts up to 6 weeks if you dont wash them. Used to get like 5+ ticks on me everytime, now I've only got like 2 on me in the past 2 or 3 times :yes:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice success rate! :yes: Get the little ones some sunlight.... they'll love ya... Best of luck getting the gardens set up! :smoke:

Latest posts

Latest posts