What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1.9Cu Oven Across International or Hydrion Scientific

AI is an NJ based company and our products are assembled and manufactured in both China and the U.S.A., but we are the manufacturer. Anyone else that sells an oven that looks like ours is either a scammer or copycat. These devices are never the same as the original and are constructed with substandard parts.

So do you mean to say that this particular MIT oven http://www.mtixtl.com/Bench-TopVacuumOvenWith28SegmentsTemperatureController-EQ-DZF-6050series.aspx is constructed from substandard parts? And that MIT is a scammer and or copy cat?

Or are you trying to say that similar ovens were made in the same Chinese factory while bashing on other companies?

You say AI is the manufacturer? Please elaborate.

Having Hydrion and AI aboard this thread is nice but I have trouble agreeing with some of the claims made. I also question the legitimacy of either account..

AI Engineering

So do you mean to say that this particular MIT oven http://www.mtixtl.com/Bench-TopVacuumOvenWith28SegmentsTemperatureController-EQ-DZF-6050series.aspx is constructed from substandard parts? And that MIT is a scammer and or copy cat?

Or are you trying to say that similar ovens were made in the same Chinese factory while bashing on other companies?

Having Hydrion and AI aboard this thread is nice but I have trouble agreeing with some of the claims made. I also question the legitimacy of either account..

Please feel free to give me a call anytime! I am the Senior Engineer and Engineering Manager. I am located in Livingston, NJ. I was also educated at M.I.T. I spend 3 days a week in the office until midnight working on R&D projects as you may have read. I am also in a very popular Jam Band in NJ, which will be playing Woodstock this year. I know your biz fairly well and am working with one of the biggest on a couple projects, one of which may even be used one day to cure Cancer. You cannot get much more legit! I am qualified, I love my job and I
AI has been in business for over 20 years and The designs for these ovens belong to us. They are manufactured in China in a facility that we own. I am not sure how MTI has a machine that looks like ours and why, but I know they are not manufactured in our facility. I also do not have any knowledge of what is inside this machine. To be honest with you, what MTI does is none of my concern. We focus on our product. When you have been around in the manufacturing business for as long as we have others often copy you. I have been in manufacturing for over 20 years myself and know for a fact that in China, all products are copied and passed off as the original. With all the stuff out there I totally understand how you can be confused and skepticism...

no, i evap before i purge rb. Duh. Y did you think i would attempt to do it in the oven? Cold boil? Nah, i use the fan method skyhighler put me on to. I throw a tyvek sleeve over the evap dish and use the omega mat w/ the dorkfood on lowish.... My thoughts are the same on AI, I appreciate your efforts, however u need direction. I understand process, rb. You guys feel how you feel, do what you do. I'll do me. Take what you want from what I say.

whew... sky has some amazing methods. The reason I ask is that shockingly some of the big labs do use their ovens to boil off/purge their alcohol and it is tearing up their pumps which is why you are seeing cold traps brought to market. That method scares the crap out of me. :/

I think constructive criticism is always appreciated, but it seems like everyone can be such negative nancy's rather than a bit more positive about changes that could be made. Often I wonder why manufacturers don't do things differently, but I also don't know the whole process required for sourcing parts, expense, any new certifications that might be needed, etc. To me I'm like, just change the hose.

I totally thought MTI was maybe sourced from the same factory, but similar look is where it ends in terms of similarities. I think someone mentioned visiting the MTI factory in Richmond where they assembled the ovens. Overall that person was not pleased with the performance at all. I believe they ended up buying some AI's. It would have to be on this site, so maybe someone can look it up if they care.

My understanding is that a certain design tends to get copied by different manufacturers in china. Someone puts the engineering work in and then they get their design ripped of by someone else. So although they may look similar, it doesn't mean they are from the same place.

It is kind of like stainless steel fittings... there are many factories making the stuff, some of the custom stuff looks similar, but some factories have better quality control and standards than others. Of course it looks the same, but...

Please feel free to give me a call anytime! I am the Senior Engineer and Engineering Manager. I am located in Livingston, NJ. I was also educated at M.I.T. I spend 3 days a week in the office until midnight working on R&D projects as you may have read. I am also in a very popular Jam Band in NJ, which will be playing Woodstock this year. I know your biz fairly well and am working with one of the biggest on a couple projects, one of which may even be used one day to cure Cancer. You cannot get much more legit! I am qualified, I love my job and I
AI has been in business for over 20 years and The designs for these ovens belong to us. They are manufactured in China in a facility that we own. I am not sure how MTI has a machine that looks like ours and why, but I know they are not manufactured in our facility. I also do not have any knowledge of what is inside this machine. To be honest with you, what MTI does is none of my concern. We focus on our product. When you have been around in the manufacturing business for as long as we have others often copy you. I have been in manufacturing for over 20 years myself and know for a fact that in China, all products are copied and passed off as the original. With all the stuff out there I totally understand how you can be confused and skepticism...

Thanks for clearing that up, AI engineering. I have always thought highly of AI not only for their customer service and equipment, but their willingness and ability to adapt to the concentrate industry. Out of curiousity, what is the name of your jam band?

I totally thought MTI was maybe sourced from the same factory, but similar look is where it ends in terms of similarities. I think someone mentioned visiting the MTI factory in Richmond where they assembled the ovens. Overall that person was not pleased with the performance at all. I believe they ended up buying some AI's. It would have to be on this site, so maybe someone can look it up if they care.

My understanding is that a certain design tends to get copied by different manufacturers in china. Someone puts the engineering work in and then they get their design ripped of by someone else. So although they may look similar, it doesn't mean they are from the same place.

It is kind of like stainless steel fittings... there are many factories making the stuff, some of the custom stuff looks similar, but some factories have better quality control and standards than others. Of course it looks the same, but...

Good points RB, now that I think about it I believe I've read the post you've mentioned.

Thanks AI, I'll listen when I have a chance!

While I'm posting, there is one design feature which has bugged me for the longest time. Every time a vacuum is released, air is rapidly taken in through an open passage, often leaving particles(which are often green if degassing takes place in the drying room) in the product. I think it would be an excellent idea to add a filter on the vacuum release.

Excellent idea on the filter! We get around this by slowly releasing pressure so that it might take a minute or two till you are able to open the door. Plus, we don't like subjecting our oil to quick pressure changes

AI Engineering

We do actually have something for this and it addresses both pressure release time and also filtering! We do not have it on the site currently. Its in my bag o' tricks...

I am absolutely loving this dialogue...and to think there would be a day when non-cannabis manufactures would jump on icmag to talk up their product, it makes sense, but I never saw this coming. So cool. Thank you AI for all your post. You will be hearing from me soon.

Jetlife

Im glad to see AI here posting and im even more happy to know you are developing more based toward the industry. Try to keep us updated here with all the up and coming toys. I have yet to have a problem with my AI and she def gets some heavy use.

icdog

AI can you give a bit of detail of what is coming and its great your here?
I have a 0.9 oven now and will be looking for a bigger and better one soon. I like the 0.9 and it saves a ton of time.
My issues so far are that I can only use 1 shelf, the other shelves are usually cooler.
I put an inch thick piece of marble in to keep the temps consistent but it didn't seem to keep all shelf locations similar with temps.
Possibly I have set it wrong or need to tune it again, it was very cold here for awhile.

It would be great if RB and others who have extensive experience with the ovens list what features would be very useful and the new stuff coming. I would love individually heated shelves or something that does it. If it didn't cost 8k that would be nice as well.

The solution to the Chinese not stealing your product and remanufacturing it is to have a non Chinese from home office running the show. I lived there for almost 7 years, many companies setup shop and brought in a foreign national to get it all going, trained a local to take over and then left. Then the Chinese figure out how to make side money.

Cheers

AI can you give a bit of detail of what is coming and its great your here?
I have a 0.9 oven now and will be looking for a bigger and better one soon. I like the 0.9 and it saves a ton of time.
My issues so far are that I can only use 1 shelf, the other shelves are usually cooler.
I put an inch thick piece of marble in to keep the temps consistent but it didn't seem to keep all shelf locations similar with temps.
Possibly I have set it wrong or need to tune it again, it was very cold here for awhile.

It would be great if RB and others who have extensive experience with the ovens list what features would be very useful and the new stuff coming. I would love individually heated shelves or something that does it. If it didn't cost 8k that would be nice as well.

The solution to the Chinese not stealing your product and remanufacturing it is to have a non Chinese from home office running the show. I lived there for almost 7 years, many companies setup shop and brought in a foreign national to get it all going, trained a local to take over and then left. Then the Chinese figure out how to make side money.

Cheers

Do you have the newer controller or the older one? Do you leave your oven on all the time? We do.

We do offer suggestions to AI along with much bigger names than us, but we aren't a lab, so we give them feedback from the perspective of the little guy. Obviously we all want a ton of features for cheap, but that doesn't exactly work for a company looking to support itself :)

PM when you are ready to get a new oven and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

AI Engineering

Stone on the shelf helps, but it takes time for the stone to acclimate and reach uniformity. Leaving the unit on solves this problem, if you can is the best idea. These units are extremely efficient. It will pull full power to reach temperature and as it approaches SV it will slowly pulse full power. This approach drastically reduces power consumption. RB definitely has the knowledge to help or you can contact us. Please remember AT is only to adjust the SV and PV. To adjust the inside temperature to match the PV you need to run calibration by formula, which is found in the manual. To do this you should use a thermometer in the oven and not use an IR gun through the window...

are you guys talking about the old controller? I know there was a lot of confusion for some on how to do the formula's, etc.

I thought the new controller did not allow for quick heat ups as we never want overshooting. Really, nobody should be turning their ovens off. It takes so little power and literally takes hours for everything to heat up uniformly. Bottom line, don't turn it off.

I can say the manual wasn't the best, so can you just walk people through calibration using numbers, etc. You are here, why make us use a manual?

I did find using a bunch of those inexpensive temp/humidity gauges that we used when drying/curing material to help see how uniform the temps were on each shelf, in the back, etc. We literally have about 12 of them

CallOfDoobie

I can say the manual wasn't the best, so can you just walk people through calibration using numbers, etc. You are here, why make us use a manual?

Idk, the low temp controller manual they e-mailed me seemed fine. I didn't think the directions for calibration were hard to follow at all. As for why use the manual? I know I used it to refer to the parameter tables, personally. :x

Latest posts

Latest posts