What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

IC is boring as shit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice grow HOG, very clean set-up.

ninja, I personally reuse the hydroton b/c it is a hassle to buy new everytime and dispose of but hey, I am just lazy but the nearest grow store is about 2 hours away and it is also a hassle just to find time to go there since they close early and not open on weekends. HOG has a good idea of how to clean the hydroton, I use a big tub, sometimes the bath tub and some antibacterial detergent and some bleach. Haven't had any problems although after the second sometime third time, I will buy new hydroton and dospose of the old. The outside bucket that SQ uses is a premade bucket that already has the hole in the side. I don't believe that he has found them again since he bought them from a companys' going out of business sale. I have looked everywhere for these but haven't found them anywhere but once you make them once you don't have to make them again anyway so ther is now big deal. I believe they are the same size though.

So Quick

BG pretty muched nailed it...right on for takin the time to answer what you knew BG :yes: But alot has changed since then...still the same concept, but some of my beliefs and ways have been tinkered a bit!! It's true that I've been growin like this for awhile now, so I'm pretty sure what to expect, that's why I close in the lines the way I do...but, if there is a problem developing that I can see during the grow...I could scoot the top of the lines over and squeeze my way in there to attend the problem...the bottom that's closer to the res is pretty much set, so moving em over on this end will need some work...poppin off hoses and stuff isn't kewl!! But wit the top havin end caps and not conjoined makes a pretty easy move...workin the first line outwards and then the rest...

Your room looks nice Ninja, but I like to take advantage of all the light coverage, so that's the reason I pack em in...the outskirts benefit from the next light over and so on..your 5 gal buckets also isn't necessary, because it takes up more space than it needs...now if you was doin a tree grow, 5 gal would be the way to go!! But since we're growin single colas wit a few side branches, 2 gal is more efficent!! You could fit 40 2 gal buckets nicely under 2 stationary lights or under 1 light on a mover, but I would use 2 stationary...or you squeeze 44 which would pretty much max it out...I'll have to explain why I choose 7 lines instead of 8 later, cuz it's takin me along time to write this up and I got people peekin out there windows wonderin what I'm doin in front of their house...God I love wireless connection!!

I trash the rocks after every use, but lately I've been thinkin about reusing em...cuz dumpin this much rocks is a pain in the ass...i've heard of people reusing, but I've always felt uncomfortable wit it...I'll probably pick up some kind of enzymes and see...like pirahna or somethin in that nature and see how this stuff works...suppose to help aid in decomposin roots and stuff, so this might be a dam good thing!!

Well guys..I gotta wrap this session up...don't want these folks to think I'm crazy or somethin :D Let this be a lesson to everybody that has wireless network in your homes...secure your networks, cuz their might be somebody like me in your range usin your connection ;)

If I missed any other Q's which I know did, please give me a sec to catch up...i feel so rushed connecting this way!! My buddy should have his connection moved over shortly, until then please bare wit me :)

Hey WS...I'll hit ya back in a momento ;) Take care guys!!

ninja_pimp

hey SQ, there is a product made by grotek called "hydrozyme" which I've heard good things from friends. I've reused my hydroton over and over. what I do it put it int he kitchen sink, run thru it with my hands and water spray it, fill it with water, pour some bleach, let it sit over nite, necxt day i rinse it out.

thanks for the reply SQ. I'm seriously contemplating going with your setup and disbanding my multiflow mainly because I don't need 3.5gal buckets, they hog up the space.
my next grow room will be 6 400w lights, assuming i spread them out evenly, in your best guess, how many 2 gal buckets can I fit (either per light or the whole 6 lights) under my lights?
http://www.plantlighting.com/growing_area_table.htm
my assumption is a 400w light has a coverage of 5x5 feet, and a 1000w has 8x8 feet coverage....would you say this is accurate?
on the floor I plan to place a rail and mount the wood planks onto them so i can freely move an entire row down the rail on ball bearings when maintenance is required, provided i unhook the feeding and drain lines.

now that i have some experience with these 3.5 gal multiflow i'm looking to compact the grow room by using 2gal because you are correct...3.5gal bucket size is a waste especially when my goal is a sea of green.
peace out :)

ninja_pimp

I found this...
http://www.discount-hydro.com/systems.asp#EG12
its a knockoff of the multiflow, but the main thing i'm looking at is....
"The grow pots are 2 gallons and are filled with grow rocks. Each grow pot consists of 2 pots nested inside each other, the inner pot has a lot of holes in the bottom to allow the water to enter the grow rocks and the root zone."

so right there one could buy the pots, in 6 pot addon fasion for $80 :( seems steep considering mutlfilow addons are $49 for 6 pots and they bigger.

those are the only 2 gal buckets inside buckets ready made I've found thus far. so techically I could sawp out my buckets from 3.5 and do 2gal, jam pack them together, re-adjust my lights for overlapping and fire it up. I've had great success with the grow cubes, the roots shoot right to the bottom and i liked the multiflow becuase the nutes all return to the rez, except for a small amount which sits at the bottom, unless i raise all my buckets off the floor.

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
hey Ninja........
If you are near Florida and want to sell that multi-flow set-up.....we need to talk :wink: I'm in to growing trees...... :canabis:

ninja_pimp

haha, thx for the offer HOG, but I already sold it! :wave:
which is why I'm looking really hard to outfit my next grow room now.
debating if i should go with the multiflow controller, buy the 2 gal buckets ready made or build it all.
i'm not a very good builder and i'm mega lazy so most likely I'll shell out the cash. :confused:
with 2 gal buckets I can definitely fit more of them in the grow room cuz i'm realizing 3.5gal is a waste of space, I for sure dont want to grow a tree, my goal is max 3 foot tall plants. I'm thinking (56) 2gal pots under 6 400w lights is my current guestamation but i suck at math. i could not even pass my TASP math exam :frown: but i can grow mad weed! :biglaugh:

botany-green

botany-green

ninja,
Those kits are expensive and I would build my own rather than pay for one of those. I figure that you could build one for a small fraction of the price. People are building houses everyday around here and the contractors usually let me get their scraps of wood for free, you should see what they through away when building a house. And about the 400W lights I would use 600W instead but if you already have the 400W lights, you got to go with what you got. I don't know where you got the 400W info about it covering a 5x5 area but in the "grow bible" (by Jorge Cervantes, pg 22) they cover a maximum of 3x3 area and then it is not even sufficient, but you can have the lights alot closer so that is an advantage if you had more lights. But anyway that was my two cents on why I would chose the 600W, but that is what I invested in anyway. There are some nice usuable charts of the different lights by different companies in "cannabis grow bible" (by greg green, starting on pg 54). The charts show good info on the lumens and cct. If you don't have the books take a trip to Barnes and Nobles, they usually have a couble cannabis books in the herb section but nothing is ever in order so you have to look through them all. If you need the charts I will scan them for you but I don't want to waste my time if not need b/c then I will have to hook me scanner. But let me know if you want to look at either of them and I will, just for you :smile: .

hey SQ, I reckon that the people think that you are the police, boy are they wrong if they do.

hieagle420

Cannabis Creeper
Veteran
Hey SoQuick,
I see you are up to your old tricks... damn man nice harvest off the first side... cant wait to see what you do on the other side... I was begining to wonder what that OL Quickster was up to.. now i know... i still have your Sweet Dreams running in my chamber... If i knew you want AE77 Cali-O clone i would have sent you one... Oh and I hope you can find them beans you made... damn i would like to try some of those out...
Keep It Green and Stay Safe.. keep it up and you will have converted me to hydro... Dayum YOu dayum you all...:spank: HE

Hooked-On-Grown said:
Why?? :confused: aackkk....Don't mention the "P" word around here!!

yes botanygreen,please dont mention popo..they foiled both my recent grows attempts... :mad: ..

thank God i took nearly 25 clones,and 2 barely rooted..

lord willing they will jump back after seeing me chop their mommys..*prays*

i'll post pictures in a week or so,should they survive..now to learn how to watermark fotos... :confused:

i'll be getting me dsdv2's any day now

ninja_pimp

well, I own hydrofarm lights and when they sell u a light it comes with s epc sheet whch says 5x5 for 400w. but I agree i've read several ganja booksd and they state 400w does 3x3, 600w does 4x4 and 1000w does 5x5 feet. i believe these numbers are indicative of the fact that Mj plants need more bright light than say tomatoes or peppers. I've not bought my lights yet. truth is, and keep it on the down low, I'll be living in California and electricity is very expensive there and so to cut down on the cost I'll be using 400w. I've been using 400w for 4 years now and I"'ve achieved some big colas. A friend has 600w lights and i cna grow colas as big or bigger than him. mainly 400w will save me money in cali. If I go with 400w, my gameplan is to go with 3x3 foot print for the light. I don't have a 2gal pot here and if someone knows the math formula I'd be curious to know how many 2gal buckets i can fit under 400w, and respectively for 600w if i choose to go with 600w, cuz i think i can afford (6) 600w lights in my grow room setup, it'll cost a bit more but might be worth it.

I think those light coverage numbers i mentioned earlier are perhaps for tomatoes but it did not say so int he chart. but i do like the idea of smaller foot print for concentrated light, i've been doing 3x3 on my 400w lights since i started 4 years ago.

mmm, I just noticed something, and damn i feel stupid :chin:
2 gal buckets for multiflow are in fact 2 gal - the controller is 3.5 gal

I just noticed that the multiflow buckets I have are in fact 2gal, the controller is 3.5gal, I look at things and i swear i can not tell the difference from 2 to 4 gal sometimes. sorry for confusion. the 2 gal buckets are 9 1/2 inch wide and 11 inches tall. So in fact all I need to do is actually buy more buckets and jam pack them together like SQ has done.

one main problem is my clones always grow so uneven, like a few will lag behind and then some just explode and this is still after hardening them in the clone tray. it seems the moment i put then intot he 2 gal buckets the stress and this causes uneven growth rates as some are stunted. i'd like to learn how to reduce this initial stress when i put them into the buckets.

so in fact there are 2 places that sell 2 gal buckets ready made for us lazy ppl, hydroponics.net and discount-hydro.com

hey ninja,
to figure out how many lights that you wan to put under a light, measure the width of the buckets at the top and then divide that by the amount of space that you want to use. (ex. if you have buckets with 11in diameter a you have one light that you want to cover 48x48in (4x4) then you can place 4 buckets under the light with the remainder 12in being the space between them (which would be in this case 4in). This formula works if you want to place the buckets close together with no walking room. Also a light mover would increase your lighted area at least 1/2 times. If you have room on the edges then you could place a bucket on the ends and let the girl get as much light as she can and consider it free, usually don't get much from the edges though. There is also an optimization formula used in calculus, I will try to find it for you since its been a while, but you can find out the best area to use for the most buckets and go from there.

ninja_pimp

hmm, if i try this formula with 1000w on SQ's setup I get a diff result. 5x5 equals 64 and I'll assume the diameter of the 2 gal bucket is 9.5in and that equals 6.7, so I round it off to 6 bukets. does that means 36 buckets under each 1000w light? and he has 8 (i count the moving one), so 8x36 equals 288. SQ mentioned he has 154 buckets so the math does not add up.

one of my grow rooms uses 4 400w lights, so thats 3x3, which is 36x36 and that comes to 3.7 which I round up to 4, which makes 16 buckets under each 400w light and 16x4 equals 64 buckets total.
However a small adjustment is needed, 16 buckets actually requires 3.15'x3.15' of floor space and since i have 4 of them that means 6.3'x6.3' which is 40 square feet, so i have the room do this in my current room.
the other grow room uses 600w lights, four of them. so thats 4x4 which is 48x48 and 48/9.5 is 5, so that means i can fit 25 buckets under each light and there is four which is 100 buckets total.

For my new grow room I'll have 6 400w lights which is 10'x6.3' (I rounded them off) and thats 90 square feet and i can fit 96 buckets. so with botanygreen's help (Thank m8) I was able to figure out that each light needs to hang 3.15" from the center of reflector from each other so as to provide uniform light distribution. so I do a lil extra math, thats 96 buckets in a 90 square foot area receiving 100watts per square foot if I keep light 2.25' from tops of plants which if 2 oz is the avg per bucket I should get 192 oz /16 equals 12lbs of bud.

This is alittle math that I use to figure out how many plants I can place under a light and then figure out the best placement of the light. I always under estimate so that each plant would receive more light than needed and I beleive that that is what SQ did and that is why he does not have the 288 plants, plus it depends on the layout of your room if two 1000 watters can cover 5x10 and your room is say 10x8 then you will be giving your plants extra light with 4 1000's (losing 2x10, 20sq ft of "possible" grow area). plus light movers kinda play with the formula and requires other things looked at and that is beyond my thinking right now.

SQ, has good yields and he clearly knows what he is doing.

SQ, can you tell us how you came up with the amount of plants that you fit under the lights. If I had your experience I would just put as many as I could fit.

I looked at some of the optimizatin problems in calculus and they are too much for what we are doing so I will leave that alone. If you are interested go to ask.com and type in calculus optimization and read some of it if you have a chance.

So Quick

WHOA!! HEY!!! Me a po po!! Watch out for the papparazzi's (sp?) they might jump all over that phraze and start a rumor or 2
biggrinbounce2.gif

But hey guys...I just found out somethin about what I've been doin the past few days...first off lemme tell you guys where I'm at...I'm sittin here in the nicest neighborhood...just passin thru tryin to find a nice place to park and cruise the internet with some comfort :D Well anyways, I'm starin at one of the nicest houses I think I've ever seen!! It aint no mansion or anything, but it is a nice sons a bitch!! Wouldn't mind owning one of these suckers one of these days!! Oh but anyways, I got a good connection :D What the hell am I talkin bout right now?? Hmmmm...Oh yea, I learned that what I'm doin is called wardriving!! Seems that alot of folks have been doin this for awhile now and they even sell certain gadgets to help pick up stronger connections while driving...aint that kewl!! And it isn't illegal, as long as you turn off the TCP IP or somethin like that...I need to do some more reading on this subject and I'll tell you guys more, but if anybody out there knows about this wardriving, then please post!!

But now on to the goodies...I'm sorry for missin so many Q's..I've been pretty much quick reading, so I know I missed alot of stuff!! Lemme show you a pile of the first side...

This side came in at a lil over 7 L's!! I didn't get to absorb all that was said about the light coverage thing, but from my personal experience is that a 1000w covers a 4x4 perfectly...the ends however tend to lag a lil behind, so anything beyond this is a lost cause, unless you don't mind underdeveloped extras...I tend to lay a few out of range just to have that extra :)

Well guys...gotta cruise!! I'll pop in again later this evening...see ya on another connection :)

SQ

kingslayer

sweet lord above

sweet lord above

I am frickin speechless...
SQ, this is one sweet gro, bro...that pic of the garage floor is damn near sexy
:canabis:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts