What's new

IC is boring as shit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Quick

Hooked-On-Grown said:
here's a few more ??'s........

What kind of timer is it that comes on for 30 seconds every half hour?
What type of manifold do you use that splits the pump to 7 lines?

I have several E&F tables........ I was thinking of setting them up like normal.....except drip feed like yours into 2 gal pots and have them drain onto table and into the res.... eliminating the need for a second pot. Res is under table , so gravity is working with me! I will do a small 10-12 pot run for a trial. I;ll keep you posted.

Thanks a million SQ :wave:

Here's the timer I use...it's by greenair...very quality stuff :D

And her's a lil overview of the way the system works...real quick, cuz I have to run, but I'll get in more depth when I get in tonight...or tomorrow...left to right

and how it runs to the res...

I'll explain more later...have a good day guys :smile:

SQ

G

Hey SQ ,

I might have missed it but where can I get those black buckets from? I have looked at Lowes, Home Depot and Menards. And where would be a good place to find reels of the 1/4" and 1/2" hoses? I haven't looked for the hoses yet so they could have been right under me nose :D

ninja_pimp

So Quick,
Thats an impressive layout especially considering they are all single colas and done from a 2 inch clone straight to bloom. I usually have veg my clone about a week before i can bloom on them as my goal is 3 feet tall by harvest.
70's pothead turned me to this thread which I have found to be awesome but have some questions for ya:
my layout is similar to yours:
jas_02.jpg

i have 9 buckets for each light, which I basically aim for 1 plant per square foot, so I have 36 buckets under 4 lights. Its a multiflow system, flood and drain.
question:how is maintenance done? meaning if there is 154 buckets how do u reach the middle ones, suppose a cola collapses, how do you get to the ones in the middle?

On my setup I make a row of 3, then a walkway this way I can reach from either side, but if I were to put the buckets all right up against each other I would not be able to reach into the middle if a plant needs help.

949IMG_1103-thumb.JPG

in the above picture i can see ya doing harvest..but i fail to understand how ya reach the bukcets in the middle w/o making a mess of the rest cuz they all in perfect order.

for clean up what do you do? (do u empty all buckets and use new hydroton)
do you just reuse the hydroton?
do you pull out the cola with the hydroton and refill bucket?

I myself use rockwool growcubes and at harvest throw out growcubes and buy new ones. with hydroton i found it to be heavy to carry and gets dirty if ya reuse it.

grow_8_veggin_3.jpg

on this picture you can see the walkway between them, the advantage is i can tend to all the plants from either side, but if I were to do it your style i simply would not be able to get to the ones int he middle. I like your setup because you have alot more buckets and the lights waste less, on mine there is empty space in the walkway.

grow_8_aknbubblegum09.jpg

what i plan to do it add planks of wood to raise my buckets, the advantage there is more nutes return to reservoir, as they are now, about 1/2 gal of nutes sits in each bucket.

i salute you SQ, you are experienced and it shows you have perfected your skills over time. my biggest goal is to get clones that grow evenly and into single colas, and bypass the veg time.

grow_9_a_AK47_10.JPG

i tend to get more side branches which results in pruning to be done during flowering hence if i try to do your setup i fear i may not reach the ones that i can't reach. I use ak-47, sensistar, and white russian.

peace out :canabis:
ninja pimp

70s_PotHead

Glad you made it over Ninja, I figured you would like this thread since you and SQ seem to have allot in common :canabis:

70s :cool:

So Quick

I see ya Bushy, BV, Hash, D6, Ninja!! Hey guys my internet is down for the moment, so I'll ghet back to this thread when my buddy gets his connection moved over tto his new place...hey but here goes a funny...I decided to turn on my lap top and drive thru a neighborhood...flipped the wireless switch on and *BINGO* so now I'm here able to touch bases wit you lovely people :D

Hey Ninja...I'll get to your Q's in a few days maybe sooner...got some people lookin at me like what the hell I'm doin in fornt of his house :biglaugh:

Peace Guys...and I'll see ya in a min

SQ

ninja_pimp

i look at the pictures in total awe, those colas are huge. i look at ti and i see a field of colas that fades into the horizon. I am amazed at the perfect growth and height of the colas. I'm amazed that you go bloom right from a 2inch clone, simply amazing.

after seeing this thread, thanks 70's pothead, yup its me pistillwhipped. I've decided on the next grow room i design, i will make my buckets all right next to each other and eliminate the gaps. i think my main thing i got to work is getting my clones to all be even height and to not grow past 3 feet.
looking at the pictures, it seems SQ may have a hard time reaching those in the middle which makes me wonder how does he reach those int he middle? the rest, well he walks around to each side.
If he reuses the hydroton which is what i think he is doing, he simply pulls out the cola with whatever clay pebbles are attached, then he flushes the buckets with h202, which disinfects then he refills each buckets and just reuses them....thats my thinking but i could be wrong.
as for reaching the ones in the middle, he may have a good reach and simply stretches his arms out to get those ont he far end and then walks to otehr side to reach from other side.

now that i have a chance to build a new grow room i'm contemplating on using these kind of buckets, 2gal and build the whole thing. A multiflow 50 buckets sells for $999, not cheap and I bet I can put togther 50 buckets like SQ has done for a fraction of the cost.
I also like the idea of the buckets sitting ont he wood planks which ensures every drop that goes into the buckets returns tot he reservoir. the multiflow buckets in my setup sit level tot he controller which means 1/2 gal remains in each bucket.

this is great stuff SQ, thanks for sharing, you have opened my eyes to new ways and methods to improve my current grow room.

Had to register to post, that sucked, but now I am here. so hello everyone.

I enjoy reading and studing so quicks posts and grows and I always look foward to him posting again so to save him some time I will answer some of his questions that I feel that I know the answer to and if so quick will correct me if I am wrong.
ninja: the reason that he has his buckets close together is b/c he has been growing for awhile and is experienced with his ak-99. he asumes that nothing major will go wrong and if it does he just lets it go. I got this from a post on OG and if I find the link I will post it for you. He did have one plant that went bad and didn't find it until he harvested. For your second question about the hydroton, he throws it away after every use in apartment buildings trash dumpsters, last I heard anyway. I think that raising your buckets off the floor is very good idea. It raises the nuts so gravity works with you and hey gravity is free, also if the floor gets cold so do the buckets, nuts, and plants which can stunt your growth, I just wonder why you haven't done it already.

I tried to "quote message in reply" but I can't check the box under quick reply. Anyone know why?

wolfshadow

Hey 007!!!

Hey 007!!!

LOL....

Watch out bro :wink: .People might think you alqaeda plotting the next hit.
I gotta learn all this fancy putor stuff.I know you will be swamped w/questons
by the time you get back.I just wanta know how much does one of them colas weigh? :friends: No doubt the single biggest I have EVER seen that I know with out a doubt; that picture is genuine.
Peace!!
<ws>

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
wolfshadow..... In a PM recently he mentioned his biggest dry weight cola was....3.5oz!! :joint:

Had to register to post, that sucked, but now I am here. so hello everyone

Now your in trouble! This is a fantasic place! You will eventually leave where you are to come here!! j/k :friends:
Throws away the clay pebbles every time?? dam....thats alot of pebbles.....although I have been re-using mine for the last two years and get tired of washing it some harvest.

ninja_pimp

botanygreen, kool thx for the info.
yeah, thats wut i thinking, he so experienced and has knowledge of the strain he works with that he sets them all up and just lets them go. I'll be making a another grow room, my 3rd, and after seeing this thread i'm very anxious to make it happen. I'm confident I can replicate SQ's system, the main component is the buckets and good clones that stretch from 2in well.
I'm curious, on the buckets is the outside bucket identical to the inside one? I'm thinking they are and he just drills holes on the bottom of the bucket that sits inside.
getting the parts for everything else is dirt easy, the black tubing i can get the T connectors and Elbow connectors are real easy to find also and most green stores carry drip lines, just like he has, and the wood planks i can get at home depot.

http://www.hydroponics.net/c/47
fittings can be found here..

the one thing that bums me out if the hydroton. I plan to setup six lights and perhaps run 10 buckets per line with 8 rows but this would require say 50 gal of hydroton. thats a serious pain to buy, load in car and carry. I'll most likely go with grow cubes, a 25liter back goes for $25 and its super lightweight, and at the end i let the buckets dry up, crop and when i empty the buckets they weigh like nothing and very easy to dump in trash.
not looking forward to dumping 50 gal of hydroton.
can't it be reused? say you pull out the cola with whatever clay pebbles are on, you then flush the buckets with h202 and top them off with new hydroton....meaning ya still buy some but ya dont need to replace all of the hydroton.

that has gota be serious work to replace 100% of the hydroton...if it works in my multiflow with grow cubes it'll work in those 2gal buckets also, i just modify the watering schedule.
what ya think?

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
I know what you mean ninja_pimp.... I use Hydroton. I have tubs of it....literally! I have a 3' tall pot that goes on top of a propane burner. I fill it with water and bring it to a boil.....add a small amount of bleach. It takes a little time to clean.....but I have used the same clay pebbles for 2 years now. I don't want to make a trip for all those pebbles.....and toss all that too!!
SoQuick mentioned in the beginning of thread that he used diced RW cubes and said that it stayed too wet and the roots were not traveling down into the bottom pot. He had to transplant all pots and replace with Hydroton. Like you mentioned though.....maybe you can modify the watering time.

I built a small 10 plant system last night. Instead of using 2 pots.....I am letting it drip onto my 2x4 ebb & flow table back into res under table. I am trying out my very vigorous White Rhino. Seeing how she acts before trying anything large scale.

ninja_pimp

HOG- awesome, so ya built one for a small setup, very smart. do a test run before ya go large scale, great idea.
but it looks like its just one bucket sitting on a tray that drips right back in. same principle with less hassle of making 2nd buckets for the outside.
after looking at SQ's picks it looks like the outside bucket is not the same as the inside, i can tell because the inside bucket is pitch black and the outside bucket is an off colour black.
on my multiflow, my roots have no probs getting to the bottom. the grow cubes are very small and have gaps of air between them. maybe he way making his. the grow cubes are fairly new i think they came out about a year ago maybe. so back in SQ's day he must have been making them by hand perhaps, dunno.
I think hydroton is best grow medium to use but the downfall is cleaning them and carrying them which is why I stll plan to use grow cubes. i will make a trial run with both hydroton and grow cubes and compare them side by side to see what the outcome is.
wow, I'm super excited about this, i just wanna grow and grow and grow and make new setup grow rooms...:)
HOG- they looking pretty!!

toofat

Man, this bucket thing is very exciting. It looks like a lot work to set up and I can't get around too good. :chin: I really want to try this, but it would mean I would have to get help and my most trusted friend has a lot of drama going on right now. On the other hand one grow a year would keep us both in meds. :friends:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts