What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Roger Daltrey Threatens to End The Who Concert Due to Cannabis Smoke

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Over the course of The Who‘s 50 years as a band, you’d think frontman Roger Daltrey would have build up a tolerance to cannabis smoke.

After all, he has performed in weed-filled halls throughout the stoney ’60s up to present day when weed is practically legal. It is surprising to hear that the singer is not so accommodating to people that want to get high while they watch his band.

But, that seems to be the case, as Daltrey threatened to end a concert on Long Island when excessive marijuana smoke bothered his vocals.

According to Newsday, “the smoke’s impact was almost immediate on his voice, which went from crystal clear and potent for the opening ‘I Can’t Explain’ to something rougher and more limited during ‘I Can See for Miles.’”

An NSFW fan video of the incident has surfaced, with guitarist Pete Townshend being diplomatic about the whole incident, suggesting that a smoker stick the drug in his rear, exclaiming, “it is the quickest way!”

More than likely he's using that as an excuse for his fading (GONE!) vocals, fuck off Daltrey, you wanker. Imagine performing at a rock concert and pulling shit like this.......

http://radio.com/2015/05/21/roger-daltry-threatens-who-marijuana-allergy-threat/

bigAl25

Veteran
I am disappointed with the Who. I believe Roger did need to cancel a show or two because of voice issues. They were on my bucket list to see before they die off, but after this I have removed them off of our bucket list. I too was at the late 60s and 70s concerts where a cloud of Mexican and Colombian smoke hung over the concert goers for the whole show. I do miss those concerts. I thought the music and my sodas sounded and tasted better than ever. Our concerts are much more sanitized now with only booze being available. Drunks are bores and pricks. I'd much rather attend with stoners. Sorry Who, but now you are shit too me.

sprinkl

Veteran
Lol that is absurdly pathetic. A musician complaining about pot smoke? Only the front man/singer could pull that shit, they tend to be full of themselves, on a natural coke high from all the attention and praise they feel...

Betterhaff

Veteran
they’re really not the true Who without John and Keith…I don't really know what’s on about with Roger. Ego (??)

[youtubeif]Z4VUVOOYARg[/youtubeif]

vostok

Veteran
TheWho.jpg

Roger Daltrey threatened to cut short the band's concert in Long Island, New York after smelling a member of the audience smoking marijuana.

Daltrey explained that he would have to end the gig midway as the smoke damages his vocal chords.

In a video uploaded from the gig at the Nassau Colliseum, the 71-year-old singer said:
"I’m telling you now the show will be over. It’s your choice. I can't do anything about it. I'm doing my best."

The crowd started chanting “eat it” to which guitarist Pete Townshend shouted:
“Eat it up your f****** a***, it’s the quickest way.”

Link: http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/c...-spotting-fan-smoking-marijuana-10268971.html
(warning UK press)

Agreed: Fuck off Daltrey, you wanker. Imagine performing at a rock concert and pulling shit like this.......

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
people have really no idea about what a pair of pricks these 2 are,,,,
daltrey wants a knighthood so bad it hurts and townsends charges of downloading indecent images of kids seems to have disappeared,,,
so happy there "east end" managers in the 60s and 70s took most of there dough,,,,karmas a bitch lol,,,,,s2

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Hey Rog, just cause you quit smoking the herb, the rest of your original fans didn't. Just a thought.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

some folk just don't/can't age gracefully, and Daltrey's voice has been an issue for several years at least.

2 or 3 years ago Clapton admitted of himself and said the he some bad shows when he knows that he's off here and there (guitar licks, not vocal issues), idk, he's been such a perfectionist over the years imo. Clapton's no fool, he surrounds himself with great talent. I saw him in July '04 down in Mnpls @ the Xcel Energy Center.

I saw Alice Cooper in '03 and his voice was right on, awesome show ~~~ saw him again at the same venue in '06 and he was just flat, as he's a favorite of mine I hoped that it was a temporary setback.

but bitching 'bout a bit of smoke torquing your vocals??? Can't wait to see what Rolling Stone mag has to say 'bout this.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Old man blues. You know these days the young kids got all the pot and the old man gets choked up when they smoke next to him..... dadada dum dadadada dadada dum

Betterhaff

Veteran
[youtubeif]MUpc0YNkkJ0[/youtubeif]

A history lesson. Clapton did a blues tour and before he started he said he was nervous. Why?
[youtube]GGLmZCZ1sXY[/youtube]

Last edited:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran

some folk just don't/can't age gracefully, and Daltrey's voice has been an issue for several years at least.

2 or 3 years ago Clapton admitted of himself and said the he some bad shows when he knows that he's off here and there (guitar licks, not vocal issues), idk, he's been such a perfectionist over the years imo. Clapton's no fool, he surrounds himself with great talent. I saw him in July '04 down in Mnpls @ the Xcel Energy Center.

I saw Alice Cooper in '03 and his voice was right on, awesome show ~~~ saw him again at the same venue in '06 and he was just flat, as he's a favorite of mine I hoped that it was a temporary setback.

but bitching 'bout a bit of smoke torquing your vocals??? Can't wait to see what Rolling Stone mag has to say 'bout this.
alice hosts a local radio show here...yeehaw...he is fading

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I saw Black Sabbath again a couple years ago. Ozzy still sounds amazing in his late 60s. He's cool with fans getting high too, even if he quit personally.

He got back into weed for a while when they were recording the last album. I get the feeling he quit because of his wife. That would suck. I'm a pothead for life. If a woman thinks I shouldn't get high anymore, she's not the one for me.

7thson

I never thought they were that good to begin with.I had a chance to see them in 1981 in Ohio,16 rows back center.I declined.

I think some of these old bands have gone through there cash.

dddaver

Veteran
As you might be able to tell in my name and sig, and even one ICMag-dude wrote once that he got it, I have been a Who fan for a long time. But I'm pretty offended by them now. They are way past their prime and just trying to relive their glory days. It's pathetic. It is exactly those pot smoking people they bitched about why those pervy asssholes even have careers and can still draw crowds at all. They should just hang it up and quit their 45 year old rehashing the same old shit. Daltry is just a short old washed-up has-been and that "diplomatic" pervert Townsend can just shove his wind-mill fagoty guitar right up where the sun don't shine. Ungrateful assholes.