What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Roger Daltrey Threatens to End The Who Concert Due to Cannabis Smoke

floralheart

Veteran
Now I feel even. That album with Who... are you... who... who...

That's the only good song on it. Maybe one more. I paid way too much for that thing.

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
All said!!!

All said!!!

The Who, died with Keith Moon

I´m glad you stated this.
My exact thoughts, afterwards it was just the lame&money making side of the who.

I just hope that this saves a few good people from wasting their money on their shitty gig.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
fwiu there was posters stating he is allergic to smoke and it shuts down his voice.

I used to smoke cigarettes and now that I don't if I get a good whiff it really makes me ill.

I don't go to places where I have to be subjected to smoke (I prefer outdoor venues) and I don't subject people to any byproduct of what I am doing if it is going to harsh vibes.

Is he being a Nancy or does it really shut down his voice? Where they clear about it well before hand or not?

Love the Who would not spend a dime to see them here and now, but it has less to do with the no smoking policy than the quality of their performance.

dekab247

Bridgestone

Bridgestone

I went to see The Who in Nashville a week or so back. First it was an awesome show. I thought they were spot on, and great job. That being said...

There were multiple warnings posted when the roadies were changing sets about smoke, and Roger's vocal issues. Nothing mentioned herb specifically. They just said smoke, and asked you to kindly refrain from doing so.

So I toke, and I used to smoke cigs as well. Even so I didn't like it blown at my face, and when I quit the cigs. I developed this illness around them many years later.

So everyones entitled to the opinion they hold. I am truly sorry y'all feel this way. I don't, and enjoyed the show. Then again it could've been the friend, and the time I had as well.

Much love, and I hope y'all find a show you'll enjoy...D

waveguide

Veteran
it's amazing really

some little guy could find a cure for cancer (...) and nobody gives a shit

some celeb farts and it's in our faces for weeks

but the amazing thing is that people keep talking about it, as if official news saturation wasn't enough

never really cared for the who, as i never met a who fan that seemed to understand what "won't get fooled again" means.

but yes, the news gives us a couple of lines about an event,

and everyone's got a fuckign opinion.

i mean, fuck.

have you got a real life?

in your real life, are interactions more complex than words? i mean - if someone told someone just the words exchanged between you and someone else, would they have a complete understanding of what was communicated?

fuck no, because of facial expression, subtlety, facetiousness, and the complexity of human communication...

but everybody already has an idea of exactly how shit went down and what it meant.

you know what this is,

it's epistemology.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Maybe you'll get old as well.
:respect:~mT

Yeah but I doubt any of us, when we are old, will threaten to pack up our toys and leave if people don't do things our way.

Respect is earned not given away. Also respect is not a permanent thing once earned, it can be lost and then need to be re-earned.

Also there is a long standing code among performers which is "The Show must go on." In other words to the performers, the continuation of the show is paramount to anything else. Now if it was a critical injury or some other thing that was beyond the performer's ability to control then okay. This doesn't rise to that level and as such it sends the message that the performers are more worried about the money then the show, since they were willing to walk away without a refund and without finishing what everyone in the audience had paid for. Which given the superstar status, I'm sure they paid a hefty premium for.

waveguide

Veteran
i dunno

zendik farm.... used to tour as crash worship...

dudes would show up in your town wearing clay, just clay. they kinda did this crowd driving ritual with fire and weird shit (eg. at one gig some guys danced in with a platter covered in fruit and a roast pig, and the audience wore all that shit)

crash worship... the fucking edge.. (of course... now we all know zendik = tavistock, but)

i remember those guys threatening to shut the show down because some food landed on one of the dudes.

for perspective, one of those zendik fuckers sprayed me head to foot with vegetable oil at one of their gigs.

fucking tavistock loser wankers zendik.

all your fucking entertainment, same place. same big nose musician ("what to think") crew.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
I saw the Who in Philly in the summer of '71 and then in the what mid '80's I guess. Totally different band. The same with the Stones. Time to give it up boys.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Not even the Who anymore - barely even the W. Daltrey/Townsend are still on the farewell tour they started in the 70's - mostly hate each other & are way past prime/relevancy.

Pack it in & retire - the Who of 40 years ago would kick the shit outta these 2 whiny old bitches.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
All things considered, the voice changes. Do you hear people's voice age? Think about it. Many Many performers have had to hang it up because the voice is not what it used to be. There are several concoctions that performers drink, gargle and ingest otherwise that are meant to restore voice. There are a lot of face creams that are meant to make you look younger and pills that make arthritis go away. All or most of it is pure bullshit, something sold at a high price to appease the desperate.

I like Roger and have always enjoyed The Who. I was excited to see them play for the Superbowl five years ago and disappointed that they didn't sound so good. Hey, they are getting older and shit happens. For Roger to think that smoke in the audience is what is making his voice fail puts him into the category of Denial. Lots of performers would have problems with their voices while on the road from doing coca and whiskey. They may have smoked too much too. They don't blame the audience.

Roger never has liked pot. He has been a vocal and physical opponent for 50 years. He is Not one of US, but his audience is US. We have been paying his bills for 50 years and he should be more appreciative of that. And from what I understand, Roger is not that rich financially. He needs and depends on the money from touring to survive. He still looks pretty good, but is not the man he was 50 years ago. He never will be. Maybe he should get a job on a reality TV show like Steven Tyler did.

Someone said they really enjoyed the show a couple weeks ago in Nashville. He said they were spot on. Well, was it really or do you just enjoy being at a Who show? Look at the video link I posted of their show at the Superbowl 5 years ago. They are not that good anymore and playing songs that were written in the 60s and 70s. That's what we all want to hear them play, but you cannot just stop time any time you want and profit from it. I am glad you had a great time and I probably would too, but spot on? No, I call BS on that one. No offense, please.

And I do not blow smoke on people, that is rude. But these stadiums are huge, and not Everyone is smoking. Roger is just blaming the audience when it is age that is getting to him. What is he going to do when he is 80 and broke?

mrcreosote

Veteran
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

-Dylan Thomas-

Hey Daltry... It's a metaphor, not an excuse to rave like a shopping cart loony.

I'll bet he also hates the green Jello at the nursing home. Just say "Thank you and goodnight" if you don't want to be there. Someone else will be more than happy to take the stage.

M-m-my Generation...gardens and drinks tea.
http://preview.images.memegenerator...=&text0=Get off&text1=the grass&text2=&text3=
ic

ic

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't all under The Who banner. I mean, even Page and Plant billed themselves as Page and Plant, not Led Zeppelin.
Like Led Zeppelin did when Bonzo died, they should have stopped calling it The Who when Moon died, out of respect for Keith Moon's contributions, imo.

BlackBuds

When you are on stage performing you are fulfilling an obligation to the fan that paid hard earned cash to see you do what you do. To throw some stipulation to an audience that listened to you sing about "mother nature" is a bait and switch imo. Shame on you RD, what ever happened to "the customer is always right"?.

Latest posts

Latest posts