What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

types of cantainers for curing?

the gnome

Veteran
other than glass,
what are other options are there for curing that doesn't breath like glass?
looking for something that can hold a bow or more.
will HDPE plastic work?
Ive seen 1-gal hdpe containers for cheap
or for larger storage the 5 gallon lowes buckets w/lids
just trying to compile a list of other useable products to use as containers for the cure

the gnome

Veteran
that has crossed my mind a few times recently.
Ive thought the big ones would be great a temp storage container for me when cut plants *still on the vine* couldn't be trimmed right away.

thanks for the great idea calimed :)
with my new 8kw room online I'm looking at a lot more to cure these day.
so much so I have to stagger my harvests to handle it.
I have several 1/2 gal mason jars and love em, but they only hold a qutie pie or so.

the gnome

Veteran
nice find jhhnn,

i have access to a couple dozen clean 5-gal paint buckets,
but pulling lids off are a pita for sure.

those gamma lids in the link look like they screw on/off easily
and they even come in colors...
I think the green lids are the right ones for this job :D

these are available at Uline too, i get the catalog and was at the online site this morning.
they have all kinds of hdpe jars and glass containers.
but the gamma lids are very doable for me and storing 10-15 wouldn't be suspicious.
i already have plenty with paint still in em.

btw are the reg white paint buckets food grade?
does it matter curing in non-food grade containers?
jhhnn I think you hit the nail on thee head with these

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
C-vaults look pretty nice, and some of them are pretty big. I would like to try them. Remo did a video about them, and I was sold! Just out of curiosity why no glass? Just the size issue? Anyway good to hear you will be stocked up!

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
just vac them up and keep in the cellar, or in a cool basement . dig a big hole under ground where the temps are cool and constant, that way yer pounds are ready to roll

watts

ohms
Veteran
can get food grade buckets at walmart. They are blue and say walmart real big on them. If you have a firehouse subs you can get big food grade buckets for like a $1 donation. Pop a gamma seal lid on them and you are good to go. Line the insides of the buckets with 5-7mil thick 5 gallon mylar bags if you want.

To see if the buckets are food grade, look on the bottom of the buckets and look for a "2"

the gnome

Veteran
C-vaults look pretty nice, and some of them are pretty big. I would like to try them. Remo did a video about them, and I was sold! Just out of curiosity why no glass? Just the size issue? Anyway good to hear you will be stocked up!

yeah mostly a size issue,a
lso they're breakable, weight and 2-gal is about as big as i can find
which i may still get a few
but I'm pulling in 10-12bows so i'll have to move into something more accommodating.

i looked at the c-vaults sos but damman, the cost and how many I'd need.
I mean if i had the $$ I still wouldn't get em unless It was the small ones for personal use... even then I'd be complaining lol

being the DIY'er I am before i spent that kind of dough on a Cvault I'd get some of those big ass'd 60qt alum stockpots for about $100
it would be fairly easy to modify the lids.
848696000016lg.jpg

but I think the gamma lids jhhnn linked to is the answer, cheap fast and dirty for my needs.
I'm in construction/remodeling and they would fit right in and look as innocuous and low key as it gets with the other 5gal paints cans and stuff in my storage site if someone broke in or anyone with me is in there

the gnome

Veteran
can get food grade buckets at walmart. They are blue and say walmart real big on them. If you have a firehouse subs you can get big food grade buckets for like a $1 donation. Pop a gamma seal lid on them and you are good to go. Line the insides of the buckets with 5-7mil thick 5 gallon mylar bags if you want.

To see if the buckets are food grade, look on the bottom of the buckets and look for a "2"

thanks watts, yeah the 2 in the triangle logo is what most of the paint buckets are I believe.
lowes HD you can 10 of the 5g sizes for $50 online.
and yeah I'd need to use something for lite penetration
:shucks:
thought on it and okay!
i have a roll of worthless for reflectivity but great for lite blocking panda film barely used from 4yrs ago when i first started indoor growing :D

watts

ohms
Veteran
get some large 62% boveda packs also. Fill the buckets 2/3 way with bud and toss in 2 large boveda packs and put the gamma seal lid on. Will keep your bud nice.

the gnome

Veteran
are those boveda pak for long term storage?
do you have to open and burp occasionally even after you hit 64% or below?
where's the best place and price to get em?

watts

ohms
Veteran
Yes you can use them for long term storage or remove the paks and vaccuum seal them in jars after 3 or 4 weeks and save them for later use. You do not have to burp them. Once the paks turn hard you will know they need to be replaced.

I just get mine off amazon

Jhhnn

Veteran
are those boveda pak for long term storage?
do you have to open and burp occasionally even after you hit 64% or below?
where's the best place and price to get em?

Yes you can use them for long term storage or remove the paks and vaccuum seal them in jars after 3 or 4 weeks and save them for later use. You do not have to burp them. Once the paks turn hard you will know they need to be replaced.

I just get mine off amazon

I def recommend the boveda packs & simon's method- "a perfect cure every time". They use permeable membrane tech. What it means is that the packs release moisture when the outside RH is under 62%, and the newest ones supposedly allow moisture to return to the packs if the outside RH is above that level. No odor & they're tough enough to just put 'em right in with the greenery. I wouldn't depend on them to remove moisture, but they do a great job when curing & storing. Weed stays soft & springy, doesn't mold ime. It's a hair on the damp side for best smoking, but that changes quickly when it's removed from storage.

And, yeh, Amazon 1 click.

One click has to be the most dangerous thing in the world for impulse buyers.

the gnome

Veteran
those boveda paks are on my 1-click list haha!
man, that sounds like a real time saver, not having to constantly monitor too moist or more dangerously, letting it get too dry.
there's all kinds of sizes i see, what's the best size for our uses?
off hand i see the 60gram paks are the big ones and probably what I would be wanting to use.
it sez for 60gm of herbs... looks like i better get the multi paks :D

so using boveda paks at what RH point can you put the lid on without fear of mold?
I cap mine @64% and check every day to see where its at for a few 3-4 days before letting it sit unchecked for a few days

Jhhnn

Veteran
those boveda paks are on my 1-click list haha!
man, that sounds like a real time saver, not having to constantly monitor too moist or more dangerously, letting it get too dry.
there's all kinds of sizes i see, what's the best size for our uses?
off hand i see the 60gram paks are the big ones and probably what I would be wanting to use.
it sez for 60gm of herbs... looks like i better get the multi paks :D

so using boveda paks at what RH point can you put the lid on without fear of mold?
I cap mine @64% and check every day to see where its at for a few 3-4 days before letting it sit unchecked for a few days

You want the large size.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BVXZD1C74GC1J7930XV

Your procedure should work fine. Toss in a boveda pack once you're sure it's not too wet, after leaving it unchecked for a few days. Then seal it up again. I leave the packs right on top. If I have a jar that isn't airtight, the shrinking boveda pack should clue me in.

If you get a tight seal, one per bucket should do. Experiment. They won't make it too wet, at all.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Gnome, I glazed thru the thread and didn't see exactly why you needed something other than glass, BUT,
here's an idea that popped into my head as soon as I read your first post.
If your looking for something, say, to put away for a long term situation, did you ever think of a cornelius keg ? It's the 5 gallon stainless steel cylinder that is used for cola syrup, usually kept where you don't see it in a restaurant. Google it. They're easy to buy used. They have an opening in the top, big enough to put your hand into and seal up air tight.. You can also charge them with CO2, like if you were going to hide one somewhere for years...
Hope this gives you an idea...

HatchBrew

Veteran
Gnome, I glazed thru the thread and didn't see exactly why you needed something other than glass, BUT,
here's an idea that popped into my head as soon as I read your first post.
If your looking for something, say, to put away for a long term situation, did you ever think of a cornelius keg ? It's the 5 gallon stainless steel cylinder that is used for cola syrup, usually kept where you don't see it in a restaurant. Google it. They're easy to buy used. They have an opening in the top, big enough to put your hand into and seal up air tight.. You can also charge them with CO2, like if you were going to hide one somewhere for years...
Hope this gives you an idea...

Like the idea. Nice large opening to put hand/arm in or just a whole top cola haha. Got plenty around for brewing.

the gnome

Veteran
well got the boveda paks ordered,
gonna head into town and pick up the gamma lids for 5gal buckets and see what they do.
also getting one of those large 120qt coolers to store plants cut down to the limbs for intermediate storage.

hey bud green, good idea with the conelius kegs.
great for long term underground storage.

just a side note, I notice something since i started harvest 3rd week in aug....
most of the stuff cut down goes to another site for trimming.
when i had a some extra time before lites out I would do and hour or so of trimming myself and stored it in the bloom room.
getting it last nite to put with the other stuff I was looking at the bag
and i could swear it looks like it it's cured more as compared to the stuff cut-n-bagged at the same time at the other site.
the only thing I can think is the enhanced Co2 in the bloomroom might have given an edge in curing
or I'm just imagining it

anyone kno more on this?
does Co2 maybe speed up the curing process any?
after i hit 64%, if I put the nugz in buckets and do it in the 1400ppm atmosphere of the room will that help?
ive heard of long term storage under nitrogen and othger inert gasses.