What's new

AirPots vs regular cups/pots

joedogsong

little update

little update

Hard to tell but the plant on right is in the airpot vs the left side 50gal hard side plastic pot. as stated earlier the final proof will be in the final wt.
The plant on right has hit the roof three times and the top bent over while the left has not hit the roof yet
picture.php

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sharing The Love

Sharing The Love

man what a hijack ...

Guys this is the side by side forum and anyone and everyone jumping in and SHOWING what they have done in reference to the thread title is what it is for and why ALL THE OTHER FORUMS are considered your thread if in fact you were the starter of said thread.

This way the collective minds here at ICM can share the love of information so long as it pertains to the title.

If anyone feels as if something is out of place simply let me know and I'll clean it up I promise but please share please.

Have A Great Day
Mr.Wags

sylk855

airpot is a good stuff youre root have more oxigen. The pot stimulate the root to grow more 'hair' root= healthy plant, big root= more weed

C

c64

at high outside temperatures, my measurements have shown that up to 3 degrees colder temperatures can be in the air pot. that is good in the summer.
in winter, it can quickly become a disadvantage.

DrFever

Veteran
i mean, up to 3 degrees lower temperature compared to normal pots :laughing:
Your right Growers don't realize the importance of root zone temps now some may say well air gets to the root zone better but also one must think there can be allot of variations in soil temps.
With so much fluctuation stress slower growth can and will occur
most growers may run timers and other stuff but climate control is a whole new ball game where now you are running heaters humidifiers , de humidifiers, Ac, controlling climates on both sides lights on and lights off
In order to really achieve a comparison one must have a completely dialed in room
some may also mention air pots help with root pruning, help stop root binding,
we must realize root mass = more yield and if you got roots showing on outter sides of air pots its time to transplant into larger pots not prune.
Your only taking away root mass and more available uptake channels for the plant to take in more nutrients

joedogsong

I have never seen roots come out the sides of airpots. Still have at least a month to go but I'm bettting that the large airpot produces at least 2X's the buddage of the 50gal solid pot, BUT this is not science

WaterDude

Input

Input

As I've said before I'm just getting back into growing after an extended time off and I SUCK at dirt grows in pots of any sort until now. This was a small test so as not to waste a lot if it all goes south.

Started with RMs HP#2 X CBG Sandstorm in the small starter Airpots (4" I think) using the basic organic soil recipe found here.

I just transplanted to the 2gal Airpot (about 5 weeks old) and was surprised and happy at seeing VERY NICE white healthy roots and the big surprise is there wasn't a big rootball whirling around the pot but just tips showing.

The bigger surprise was there was enough roots to hold the soil together even when I dropped one.

The other thing I find advantages is the pot doesn't dry from the top down leaving the bottom water logged and rotting roots. They dry evenly with no soggy bottom WOOOHOOO for us over waterers!

I'll report later down the road when flowering starts in earnest.

joedogsong

Yes, but I was talking about roots growing out of the sides of the pot. That's what mine look like to with the shell pulled off.

W

Womble

Yes, but I was talking about roots growing out of the sides of the pot. That's what mine look like to with the shell pulled off.

out the sides??...oh ok...don't think i'd wanna be seeing roots hanging out the sides of my pots,is there any benefit to this occuring?

D

dramamine

Your right Growers don't realize the importance of root zone temps now some may say well air gets to the root zone better but also one must think there can be allot of variations in soil temps.
With so much fluctuation stress slower growth can and will occur
most growers may run timers and other stuff but climate control is a whole new ball game where now you are running heaters humidifiers , de humidifiers, Ac, controlling climates on both sides lights on and lights off
In order to really achieve a comparison one must have a completely dialed in room
some may also mention air pots help with root pruning, help stop root binding,
we must realize root mass = more yield and if you got roots showing on outter sides of air pots its time to transplant into larger pots not prune.
Your only taking away root mass and more available uptake channels for the plant to take in more nutrients

Same amount of root mass, better and more efficient structure.

DrFever

Veteran
Air-Pot containers get the best out of all plants because they develop a remarkable root system. And vigorous roots support healthy and prolific plants.
Like many clever tools, it is actually very simple – the Air-Pot ‘air-prunes’ roots and this constant pruning prevents any root circling and promotes the growth of more and more feeder roots. It is these fine, fibrous roots which use all the available water and food very efficiently, to help develop great top growth and excellent fruit.
But good roots can only develop in healthy soil/compost - soil that is alive.
Air-Pot containers also allow more air and better drainage than in any other container, another vital element that makes Air-Pot grown plants much healthier and happier.

joedogsong

DrFever, your post sounds like a commercial. I'm running dozens of air pots and have never seen roots coming out of the sides.
I've run them to the point of the root mass getting so big it just wants to bust the shell open. On purpose. No side roots coming out. . I don't want people getting the impression that this occurs, or that this is when one needs to transplant. There is a definite point of diminishing return as the root mass packs in. I'm doing it to stunt growth so the next set of clones can catch up. When those are close to size they will all go 2 sizes up from the smallest size.

These things are a definite PITA if you have to move plants regularly ie; in at night under lights out in morning for the sun to take over.

I have observed that they are generally better when growing large plants. They are no better if started in a regular pot or cup, and allow root circling, and then transferred to an air pot. Unless of course you are going to let them get Big.

As far as having a room perfectly dialed in, it's called outside under the sun. And yes, my soil is living supported by FPE, ACT, and NO concern for NPK, or CA++/Mg++ But that's another thread as this one is done except for the weigh in in another month