Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Side by Side Grow Experiments > AirPots vs regular cups/pots

Thread Title Search
AirPots vs regular cups/pots Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2012, 02:15 PM #81
PetFlora

PetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond repute
Looking at the roots, I'm guessing you left the plant in the cup way too long, causing roots to run around the outside.

AP makes small starter pots as well. Once the plant is developed, simply open the pot, carefully move the soil mix into a larger pot.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=329619

Just because you weren't taught something doesn't mean it's not true, and vice versa
PetFlora is offline Quote

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:27 PM #82
PetFlora

PetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond repute
Deleted Double post

Just because you weren't taught something doesn't mean it's not true, and vice versa

Old 05-11-2012, 06:56 PM #83
joedogsong

joedogsong has a spectacular aura aboutjoedogsong has a spectacular aura aboutjoedogsong has a spectacular aura aboutjoedogsong has a spectacular aura about
Not sure

So all of these plants have been subject to the same environmental conditions. The small airpots were drying out very fast and so for a few days kept them in small amt of water so the pots would suck water up from the bottom. Only did it for a couple of days and the water imbibed was a small limited amount. Apparently for these plants it was not the right thing to do.

I have not used these pots before nor have I grown out these specific genetics but...looking at all the plants in the airpots it seems as if the plants have grown out of the pot above the soil line seemingly exposing the roots, or base of the main stem, creating a problem on some, stem rot, while apparently not affecting others exposed to the same conditions.

The three most affected have always been the runts and would have been culled already except for purposes of this comparison. As seen on others the base is exposed and the plants have a heavy lean but are healthy. I do not know if this condition of lean is genetic or environmentally caused??

The regular pots seem to be unaffected.

Last edited by joedogsong; 05-11-2012 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: same as the others, pix only upload with edit
joedogsong is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 PM #84
skunkbear

skunkbear is on a distinguished road
Great article!At this time do you see any difference using air-pots or the regular ones?

Old 05-11-2012, 07:43 PM #85
joedogsong

joedogsong has a spectacular aura aboutjoedogsong has a spectacular aura aboutjoedogsong has a spectacular aura aboutjoedogsong has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetFlora View Post
Looking at the roots, I'm guessing you left the plant in the cup way too long, causing roots to run around the outside.

AP makes small starter pots as well. Once the plant is developed, simply open the pot, carefully move the soil mix into a larger pot.
Don't know what you are referring to. This example IS using the smallest air-pot. I see no root spiraling, just a very developed root ball. This plant is NOT part of the comparison, only to get a look at what is going on inside the airpot with root development. If you do not open the pot you will not be able to remove the plant without completely destroying it.
Most of us already know what the root system looks like when transplanting from a normal pot.

skunkbear; there are lots of differences as per documented above. I do believe like all things of this nature it takes experience to correctly dial in optimal potential. This is my first time with these so I expect to have a learning curve. Welcome along for the ride...

Last edited by joedogsong; 05-11-2012 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: context
joedogsong is offline Quote

Old 05-11-2012, 07:51 PM #86
MaynardG_Krebs

MaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of light
Keep up the good work Joe! I love my airpots for many reasons..

mgk
MaynardG_Krebs is offline Quote

Old 05-12-2012, 04:27 AM #87
Highlighter
ring that bell

Highlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant future
Been using airpots for 2 yrs now and I love them. Started off doing a comparison using 2Gal Airpots, Smartpots, and square containers.

The square pots held their own just fine.
Smartpots are a PITA to me, hard to clean, they are no longer in the mix.
The Airpots are a breeze to clean, a big plus to me.
After using the 3.4 and 2 gal. I'm now growing solely w/ the .80 gal.
As, a hobby breeder, I want to look at as many plants as I can in my limited space. Plants grown in a 1 gal plastic pot get rootbound a lot sooner, the Airpots in this size rule for me. I'm also starting to grow long-flowering sativas, with the belief that I can keep the size down while keeping the roots healthy in these .80 pots.

Yeah, hand-watering is a particular PITA w/ these smaller pots. Blumats are ideal, I have 'em, but still handwater cause I like to be able to move my plants around, examine them, take photos.

joedogsong, best wishes for your grow, look forward to your findings.

Brotherhood of Eternal Love

R.I.P. DR. Jay, medical messiah
R.I.P. Medjool, ganja goddess
R.I.P. LMN , sativa king
Highlighter is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:23 AM #88
MaynardG_Krebs

MaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of lightMaynardG_Krebs is a glorious beacon of light
I'm using 5 liter airpots in self contained rdwc buckets using a 5 gallon bucket for a reservoir for each pot. I go from a 4 inch rockwool cube with clone to the 5 liter airpot filled with 'rocks'.. works great.. Lucas formula for nutes..

mgk
MaynardG_Krebs is offline Quote

Old 05-12-2012, 05:27 AM #89
Dave Coulier

Dave Coulier has a reputation beyond reputeDave Coulier has a reputation beyond reputeDave Coulier has a reputation beyond reputeDave Coulier has a reputation beyond reputeDave Coulier has a reputation beyond reputeDave Coulier has a reputation beyond reputeDave Coulier has a reputation beyond reputeDave Coulier has a reputation beyond reputeDave Coulier has a reputation beyond reputeDave Coulier has a reputation beyond reputeDave Coulier has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlighter View Post
Been using airpots for 2 yrs now and I love them. Started off doing a comparison using 2Gal Airpots, Smartpots, and square containers.

The square pots held their own just fine.
Smartpots are a PITA to me, hard to clean, they are no longer in the mix.
The Airpots are a breeze to clean, a big plus to me.
After using the 3.4 and 2 gal. I'm now growing solely w/ the .80 gal.
As, a hobby breeder, I want to look at as many plants as I can in my limited space. Plants grown in a 1 gal plastic pot get rootbound a lot sooner, the Airpots in this size rule for me. I'm also starting to grow long-flowering sativas, with the belief that I can keep the size down while keeping the roots healthy in these .80 pots.

Yeah, hand-watering is a particular PITA w/ these smaller pots. Blumats are ideal, I have 'em, but still handwater cause I like to be able to move my plants around, examine them, take photos.

joedogsong, best wishes for your grow, look forward to your findings.
Highlighter, Ive always got long flowering sativas going, and I can tell you that larger pot sizes will give you healthier plants longer into flowering. Moisture stress will be a serious concern since the container size is small. Of course, I too am trying to squeeze in alot of plants in small containers, so it leaves us in a bit of a condundrum. If your very diligent in your watering, you can go with small containers, if not Id definitely go larger.

Also, I would definitely advise you to use blumats for those long flowering sativas. You'll regret it if you dont .
Dave Coulier is offline Quote

Old 05-12-2012, 04:35 PM #90
PetFlora

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedogsong View Post
Don't know what you are referring to. This example IS using the smallest air-pot. I see no root spiraling, just a very developed root ball. This plant is NOT part of the comparison, only to get a look at what is going on inside the airpot with root development. If you do not open the pot you will not be able to remove the plant without completely destroying it.
Most of us already know what the root system looks like when transplanting from a normal pot.

skunkbear; there are lots of differences as per documented above. I do believe like all things of this nature it takes experience to correctly dial in optimal potential. This is my first time with these so I expect to have a learning curve. Welcome along for the ride...
My bad. I was referring to the pic in post #81. You state is was in a cup for 3 weeks