What's new

Marijuana Botany by Clarke? Worth the Read?

rrog

Veteran
Just curious if the book is relevant for Soil grows.

Last edited:

big_daddy

IMO, this book is a must read for those interested in the history of MJ as it pertains to the origins of modern day strains. It is a scientific read, but well worth the time.

I'm about half way through the book right now, and will probably have to re-read it a couple of times to fully grasp everything it contains.

b_d

mad librettist

Veteran
I would beware the word combination "marijuanna" and "botany".

A botanist would not say marijuanna, at not in a book title. It's cannabis.

rrog

Veteran
I'm reading "Teaming" right now. Fantastic read. I would have just gone ahead and ordered up MJ Botany, but wasn't sure if it had good data or contested. I trust the soil collective here which is why I asked on this forum

schwilly

I would beware the word combination "marijuanna" and "botany".

A botanist would not say marijuanna, at not in a book title. It's cannabis.

True. Marijuana is a derogatory term. But it has "mystique" and has been heavily stigmatized by society in many ways.

Cannabis may be the correct term but simply isn't as eye-catching to the general public. While I'm sure accuracy is important to the author, he (and the publisher) want an appealing title to sell books.

Robert Connell Clarke is a good writer for this type of work. I have his book, Hahish, it is a great read and his research and knowledge of the history of the plant is among the best, if not the best in the scene.

Been meaning to pick up marijuana botany.

Green Supreme

Veteran
I think it is over many folks heads. If you can wrap your head around it it is very informative. Peace GS

mad librettist

Veteran
True. Marijuana is a derogatory term. But it has "mystique" and has been heavily stigmatized by society in many ways.

Cannabis may be the correct term but simply isn't as eye-catching to the general public. While I'm sure accuracy is important to the author, he (and the publisher) want an appealing title to sell books.

Robert Connell Clarke is a good writer for this type of work. I have his book, Hahish, it is a great read and his research and knowledge of the history of the plant is among the best, if not the best in the scene.

Been meaning to pick up marijuana botany.

sounds interesting. does he properly explain that we are mistaken when we refer to indica and sativa as separate species?

schwilly

sounds interesting. does he properly explain that we are mistaken when we refer to indica and sativa as separate species?

I think the distinction between sub species and species is still a bit of a gray area.

But yes, he supports the more traditional idea that cannabis originated in the hindu kush region and seeds were spread through trade and developed into the regional varieties that are our landraces and sativas today.

Been a while since i read it but i think that was his position.

rrog

Veteran
I think it is over many folks heads. If you can wrap your head around it it is very informative. Peace GS

This is what concerns me. It's easy to take some traditional, general plant physiology info and throw it around, then make claims as to "this is why your plant needs to be fed sugar..." or some such. If the audience at large doesn't understand, then perhaps there's some (unintended) BS in the text. That's the risk. It's probably a fantastic book.

Also, I understood that the book gets into specific metabolic processes (Kreb's Cycle) not just the morphology and history of Cannabis. That's what I understand, anyway.

schwilly

While he touches on the history of cannabis itself, mostly he's concerned with hashish history in Hashish.

I would try marijuana botany if you're interested in history. I imagine it should be more in-depth than Hashish.

TACOE

skip that book.. though i've never heard of it
i have read "Botany for Gardeners" by Brian Capon.
Excellent read for those of us not well versed in botany and what actually goes on within plants.

it will apply to our ganj.. obviously.

Books specifically on marijuana tend to suck.. stoner authors make shitty books. ;P

schwilly

Books specifically on marijuana tend to suck.. stoner authors make shitty books. ;P

Actually, stoners don't tend to write books or really accomplish much of anything.

Cannabis enthusiasts, like those of us here :wave: , get shit done.

rrog

Veteran
I hear you Tacoe. That's why I'm asking, since these books have the potential to be crap, and simply have a great title to sell books. Not peer reviewed, etc.

Greenheart

Veteran
I enjoyed the part about establishing "cannabis preserves" to save strains for future generations myself. Sounds like my kind of habitat.

I'm do not remember if he got into the specifics of genus Cannabis. He does however, reefer to it as such. (Some things in life are hard to resist. My appoligizes.)

I have this trinket for anyone intrested in specifics.

"The Genus Cannabis: Taxonomy and Biochemistry

Scientists who were the first to study the genus Cannabis clearly discerned different species.The father of plant taxonomy, Linnaeus, officially designated the Cannabis genus in 1753 when he founded the binomial system of botanical nomenclature still used today [4].Linnaeus added the "sativa" appellation (literally, "sown" or "cultivated," i.e., used in agriculture), indicating the utilitarian nature of the plant. Since his time numerous attempts have been made for a coherent taxonomy of Cannabis."

http://naihc.org/hemp_information/content/hemp.mj.html

Today many of us recognize 4 species of Family Cannabaceae Genus Cannabis sativa L. (syn Cannabis indica Lam.)

These species are: Sativa, Indica, Ruderalis, and Hemp.

Latest posts

Latest posts