What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeking Critique on Vert Colosseum SOG concept.

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
My success stems from my utter belief in the concept that we are greater as a community than I will ever be as an individual.

I am learning constantly from the threads I read here. I'm subscribed to almost 400 threads at this point and that doesn't count all the "dead" threads that I've read cover to cover more than once.

I try to be super detailed (and make it fun if I can) because I want to return some fraction of what this community gives me and help it to grow.

I am still a beginner walking in the footsteps of the giants who came before me. Much easier to walk when someone else has already beaten a path. And there are many helpful, friendly homies around that help me think thoughts I've never thought before.
What ^he^ said!...

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Getting close! Looks real nice, and trimming those should be a breeze...
When do you expect to chop? Too much going on for me to remember what strain, and expected flower period, but it has to be in the next week or two either way right?

I checked back through the thread and he's running AK47.

The plants all have a nice long bud at the top and then a number of chunky nuggets near the bottom. Looks like these plants would like to branch out. Seems there are other strains which would grow a nice solid fat central cola. I'm not the guy to make that suggestion but I'm sure others can.

I went and added it to the first post so people won't have to search in the future. But Crusader got it right and it is Serious AK47. I started with 10 beans... stuff happened... and I ended up with one keeper female. Here she is at harvest:

After harvesting, I reverted her and made her a mama. She is the only genetics I have run in my cab for the last year or so. I was also running some "random" seeds but I didn't like the results I was getting after several runs from different seeds and didn't want to waste space that could be growing this AK.

If people have strain suggestions that they think would work well in this setup, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks man.

wow this grow seems like it's flying by. Everytime I check it out I think 'damn I need to get my shit together'

:lurk:

Get your shit together, Stealth! It's just work. You do it and then it's done and then you get rewarded.

Gorgeous!!

Plants are looking nice as is that new favorite pic of yours, I still got a thing for ladies night though :D Home stretch bruh, pretty sure this is gonna turn out to be epic!

I'm working on making a light box for the final pictures. Hopefully I can get some really nice pre/post harvest shots and some nice looking dried bud shots.

Great progress u got happening Anti. Not long now and all ur hard work and planning will pay off with a bumpa harvest. Peace

This one is gonna be bigger than anything I've ever harvested at once by a large margin. But that said, there's a LOT that I plan to do over the next two harvests that should allow me to find out what the limits of this setup will be. We haven't reached them yet!

My CFL plants were definitely fatter with buds all the way to the soil for the most part. These plants aren't but I kept them too close together at the start of the grow and they stretched a lot competing for light. Next round I won't do that and they should develop with tighter internodes.

Even though these plants aren't as fat as my CFL buds they are significantly TALLER and I think on average they probably have at least as much bud on them as before, but in a longer, slightly skinnier form. Next round should improve on this, as well.

Harvest is usually at 65 days. That's a week from tomorrow. The plants started their flush today. Watering with nothing but water and clearex for the next few days, then just water for the last few days.

bobblehead

Veteran
Bro... As far as genetics are concerned... You just have to grow out a little bit of everything, take clones, and keep what you like. When it comes to seeds, you never know what you're gonna get... You could do a 12/12 from seed grow in that cab, and reveg the best looking females...

but WAIT! Why mess with a good thing? Bro, you just built this contraption... dial it in with genetics you're familiar with. It's gonna be much less of a headache than searching for new genetics... and when you have extra AK47, you can hit up Choc or HGO and trade?

I've been chatting with Hydrosun on and off... He exclusively grows LVPK, and has been for years. He took that clone and made it his bitch. He grows trees in fast hydro, says that he has more demand than supply... He said that when he started growing other plants is when shit went wrong. Do what you know brother.

Maybe use your micro-cab for sorting out new genetics?

I recommend Sour Bubble. I've never grown a Sour Bubble I didn't like.

D

DHF

Back at the beginning of this thread there was a discussion bout the ceramic metal halide bulbs and I remember askin about em at my invite only med sites and was surprised with most of the old heads findings........so....

As stated before they do run cooler per se compared to the old MH bulbs I ran with krusty buckets that put off heat like a mofo , but EVERY Bro I talked to or read in threads about em , the biggest factor that was noticed was the elongated internode spacing and promoting stretch , so there`s your most probable reason for your taller skinnier lower plantlets Bro.....but.....

Stretch can be controlled by lowering the bare bulbs as long as you`re runnin 50 watts per sq ft and everything`s covered in reflectix bouncing lumens up , down , and all around like you`ve already got....

My damned `ol dial up bullshit connection at the farm only loads half or less of your pics so I`ve not been able ta compare , but I`m sure I saw 1 pic where the top level was shorter than the bottom or am I wrong......anyways....

There`s not a doubt in my mind once you figure out said beast and make AK your bitch as Bobbles touched on that it`s gonna be a producer with future runs for sure , and believe me.....there`s tried true and tested genetics around if and when needed for new projects , but ........

Simon`s Serious Seeds AK 47 has been a building block for MANY of the polyhybrids that seed sellers hawk these days and for many yrs past , so don`t discount or get rid of her cuz the grass ain`t always greener on the other side ...no pun intended lol.........so......

Thanks for sharing with the community Anti and.....

Respect....DHF.....:ying:....

Last edited:

self

sweetest cindy 99 has some short ultra chunky phenos if you were looking for something with a little more sativa effect in an indica package. its also very fast.
But as others have said...you'll probably have the best luck dialing in one strain in one system over at least three consecutive runs. Thats when strains start hinting at the height of their potential.
All in all an awesome show Anti!

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Simon`s Serious Seeds AK 47 has been a building block for MANY of the polyhybrids that seed sellers hawk these days and for many yrs past , so don`t discount or get rid of her cuz the grass ain`t always greener on the other side

Oh man, I'm not getting rid of her! Never even considered it. (In fact, top of my list of "things to do" is get some colloidal silver so I can make some seeds of her just in case.)

But at the same time I've had several people chime in and say "with the right strain..." so I figured I'd ask people what they think the right strain is.

There are no dispensaries within at least 1000 miles of my home, so I can't pop by for the newest genetics and I have had no success getting seeds mailed to me from overseas. I had to go through some hell to get THESE seeds almost 6 years ago and that door has closed now, unfortunately.

Anything I get is going to take some time and effort to get a hold of in the first place. But I wouldn't mind being able to find another plant or two to keep a mom of so that I could run alternating harvests with my AK. Variety being the spice of life.

I was at a party a few days ago and had my little jar of personal and I was smoking with some friends I hadn't seen in awhile and one guy says (with no prompting by me), "Wow. I've never seen anything like that around here. That's some connoisseur smoke, man!" Nice feeling when you're smoking with other 'heads and they're unknowingly praising your handiwork.

sgapetti

Veteran
I undestand you may have a killer pheno at your hands, tough to suggest anything without knowing your preferences . I will love to see some Mosca C99BX1 in your hands .I am testing her in my new cab , she is very fast maturing, with little veg time you get a single cola plant , perfect for SOG .Anyway thanks for sharing, your grows are a inspiration and very interesting to follow, keep up the good work:thank you:

self

you can't get seeds delivered to where you are? that does make things difficult :chin:
even if say, hypothetically, another member stealthily relayed them to you or something?
hmmmm...

bobblehead

Veteran
Oh man, I'm not getting rid of her! Never even considered it. (In fact, top of my list of "things to do" is get some colloidal silver so I can make some seeds of her just in case.)

But at the same time I've had several people chime in and say "with the right strain..." so I figured I'd ask people what they think the right strain is.

There are no dispensaries within at least 1000 miles of my home, so I can't pop by for the newest genetics and I have had no success getting seeds mailed to me from overseas. I had to go through some hell to get THESE seeds almost 6 years ago and that door has closed now, unfortunately.

Anything I get is going to take some time and effort to get a hold of in the first place. But I wouldn't mind being able to find another plant or two to keep a mom of so that I could run alternating harvests with my AK. Variety being the spice of life.

I was at a party a few days ago and had my little jar of personal and I was smoking with some friends I hadn't seen in awhile and one guy says (with no prompting by me), "Wow. I've never seen anything like that around here. That's some connoisseur smoke, man!" Nice feeling when you're smoking with other 'heads and they're unknowingly praising your handiwork.

AK47 is something I would grow again... I've collected 20-30 AK47 freebies, made from SS AK47. I have $150 GN collection C99 f2's that I'm in no hurry to grow. The AK47 will be grown long before them.

If you decide you want to grow out something new... It should have chemdog or sour bubble genetics in it imo. You won't be disappointed. AK47 isn't a slacker though... so like Freds said, the grass isn't always greener... Take it from someone who's grown a LOT of seeds.

D

DHF

Gladta hear she`s gonna stay around A.....and for the record on the "right strain" to run....hybrids that stretch , not indica`s that don`t and take X amount of time to get to a certain height that they`ll most definitely finish at with little to no stretch built into the genetics......so......

Doin budsicles from fully rooted cuts to see which one`s will fill in the gaps and form the most uniform canopy for max yield with as many plants that it takes to form said canopy rules the day IME , and then cycles can be repeated time after time for projected yearly results once dialed cuz runnin small plants till end of cycle , X can be anything and hasta be found for the proper strain to exploit for max returns.....

I will say this....Heath sent me some of his re-worked SS White Russian seeds MANY yrs ago and pretty sure it`s AK47 X WW best I remember lineage wise, and they were perfect mini xmas tree type single cola low lateral branching plants I ran for long time with top shelf bag appeal like icesicles from all the trich formation and rock hard nugs that would cross yer eyes....so....

It`s all in the dialage of said strain/variety IME with smaller plants....

Good luck Bro....DHF....:ying:.....

P

pine boy

This has been a great grow Anti.Very nice execution.
The only thing I would change is I would run perpetual so all that trimming would not have to be done at once.
If you can deal with that then you have a perfect set up.
5 stars

G

grozzef

so i saw a couple pages back you're looking at other pots and i find myself in a similar predicament as after the current run i don't really wanna wash out all the smart pots i'm using. i dunno if you've considered it already, but i've been thinkin about like long trays(maybe 2x4's) with the junk they use to make the smart pots lining it and just doing long ass beds(seen alot of people doing it under hoods in like 4x4 trays with great results) . also i dunno if you've got the space, but you should try to fit a plant in the middle between the lights thats always my biggest bestest girl(when running multiple vert)

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
very nice thread/grow anti good idea, I might make a return to micro group one day, very nice productive system...., what wuz your final harvest? looks like nice stuff too
peace TS

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Harvest won't be until at least Saturday. I won't weigh it until it is manicured and dried.

silouan

very very nice! i have been looking at a similar idea with the tree pots and you are the first person i have ever seen to do it. thanks!!

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Macro Pics

Macro Pics

Official 9 week update will come sometime tomorrow.

Here are some pics I snapped quickly tonight while I was trying out my new tripod.

(I notice a lot of my pictures aren't as focused as they could be. These pictures were taken with a 2 second delay while on a tripod to minimize camera vibration while the shutter is open.

The red box is the area being zoomed in on in the macro shot. (The camera is taking 10 megapixel images that I shrink down to 800x600 when I upload.)

picture.php

^^^ Full Image ^^^

picture.php

^^^ The Inset of the Picture Above ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Zoomed in on another "bottom bud" ^^^

picture.php

^^^ The Inset of the Picture Above ^^^

Latest posts

Latest posts