What's new

Seeking Critique on Vert Colosseum SOG concept.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
If a pictures worth a thousand words, two of those words are; lookin' great.

Thanks!

I would love to see an all HPS RUN, great job Anti....luv them budscicles....

I'm going to try to dial these CMH in for a couple of rounds and see if I can max it out. After I have the rest of the room variables in check, I may do an HPS run as a comparison.

I've also thought about setting up a flip flop with CMH on the flip and HPS on the flop.

I've also thought about sticking an HPS over the center of the grow.

I've also thought about sticking an HPS HORIZONTALLY over the center of the grow.

No idea whether I'll actually do any of it. :)

Very impressive :)

Thanks, homie!

From what I've gathered, I don't think you'd see a significant difference with HPS bulbs. CMH run cooler so you can get the plants closer to make up for the difference in penetration.

Plants look mighty happy. A different strain would have solid buds down to just above the medium's surface.

Forgive me if ya covered this before because I do remember asking about it, but I don't believe it was answered. For next round or if you were to do this round again, would you consider topping the plants, doubling the plant count, cutting down the height of the containers, adding another layer to the stadium, or any combination there of? Your doing awesome man, but I just think some minor changes could really make a big difference.

Also, saw you added some wire to keep them out of the bulbs. Might pay off to be lazy and just let them fan leafs burn up when they get too close. Doesn't make for as pretty pictures as you get, but we're growing bud now, aren't we? The damage done to the burned fans is easily offset, by the increased light as the plants get closer. Hell, burning a plant or two with what your doing to just see how close they can get is sacrificing a few for the good of many.

Now, is it update day again yet? :smoke:

I typically do get bud right down to the surface with these AKs.. but this is a first run in a new cab and the lights aren't placed optimally to get penetration all the way to the ground on the bottom tier. I think that with a light mover yo-yoing the lights down an extra foot or so we'd be seeing what you're describing on the bottom level.

I did experiment with cutting these pots down in my microcab. Let me show you some harvest shots to see why I will not be doing that:

^^ Recent harvest, full sized pots ^^

^^ Over a year ago, in cut-down pots ^^

^^ Older harvest in cut-down pots ^^

It might be hard to tell the scale, but the cut down pots were about 4-5 inches SHORTER than the full-sized pots.

If I do anything, I'm going to go to slightly BIGGER pots to see if that allows my plants to be all they can be. I might even go to a bed if HGO's idea works out.

As far as the wire around the lights... I don't really think the plants could safely get much closer to the light as it is. The little "cages" i made around the lights are only maybe 6" cylinders. So even without the cages, the plants could get at most 3 inches closer but then they'd be touching the bare bulb.

Looking great anti!! :dance013:

Watch out for bud rot on Icarius. Had that happen to one of my girls last round, and during drying, ended up with a tiny bit of gray mold surrounding the burnt, brown/yellow...

Even with low humidity and good airflow, granted she was quite dense, but just something to watch for as I wouldn't want it to spread on you to those other pretty girls

I might segregate her during drying. Thanks for the advice.

Looking splendid chap :)

Buds are coming along very nicely, have you pruned more leaf from the lower tier plants?
The first pic u posted this update looks a lot like that green crack cut I see pics of online, but I know u say these are AK's...

Guess it must be smelling pretty dank in there about now! What would you say were the most prominent differences between your CFL plants and these?

I haven't pruned anything but a few yellowed leaves since about week 5.

It is quite dank in there when I open the doors up. The most prominent differences that I can notice so far are:

• Plants in the new cabinet are significantly taller than in in my CFL cab. The tallest a plant could get (from bottom of pot to top of plant) was 23" inches in my old cabinet. The plant stakes I am using for this round are 24" long. So most of the plants on the top tier are as tall as my tallest CFL plants, and ALL of the plants on the bottom are 4"-6" taller than any of my CFL plants.
  • Plants seem to have grown more sugar leaf during flowering. During veg, I didn't notice any extra leaves... but even after stripping almost ALL fan leaves by week 5, there is still a significant amount of leaf left on these plants at almost 8 weeks.
  • Plants seem to have started stinking much sooner and be a bit stinkier than I'm used to.

Wowsas bro filling up nicely. Is this setup filled to max capacity. Thought I recalled u sayin that there isn't the full amount of clones in there. If thats the case then damn I'd be more then happy with what u got now. Well congrats on everything so far especially how uniform in size the clones are. Peace

Well, I took 108 clones because I wanted to make sure I had 70 that I could put in the cab. There are 70 in there now. I could theoretically get more plants in there, but I think the per-plant average would probably go down.

It's running "at designed capacity" at the moment.

I second that. The more blue adds to more leaf production.

Looking great Anti, almost done bro!! :D

I know. I'm already starting to dread having to trim all of this by myself with fiskars!

So rad. I want one!

Pretty easy to build. Working with no help whatsoever (and a bad back, and few tools) you could build the table in a few days time.

DAMNNNNN anti, I leave a year and some ago, leave seeing your 2 sided CD rack cab, now I come back to this?????? MY DAYS WHAT A GROW:tiphat:

Thanks! I've been working hard to step my game up. Microcabs are awesome, especially if you've been buying herb all your life, but they don't produce enough for me to be comfortable experimenting with things like BHO, water curing to eliminate odors, etc.

I really wanna make some BHO or QWISO pills and buy a good portable vaporizer (so far I like the Arizer Solo) so that i can quit smoking altogether. After this harvest, the idea of "losing" an ounce or two while experimenting due to a newb mistake won't be such a big deal. THere will be many other ounces where that one came from.

Plus, the longest I ever get to cure buds in my microcab is about 2 months. After that, they're already smoked.

I don't have a place to dry these ladies when the time comes. So my plan is going to be to pull the table out of the closet and hang some clothesline in there and hang the ladies to dry in the closet. I'll also be rooting some clones in another room under some CFLs and then, while the plants are drying, I'm going to try to cut the legs down on the table (shave off about 6" of height or so) so that the top tier plants can get a little bigger and so that there'll be more headroom for the lights. (I'm also going to try to fix the E&F seals so that I can try to automate feeding for the next run.)

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
If I can afford to ship them from Australia, I've been looking at these "rocket pots" for about a year now.

Basically, they're the Australian answer to airpots. Best part? They're square!

s1020-8pack.jpg

They're 10 cm x 10 cm x 20 cm (3.9 inch x 3.9 inch x 7.9 inch tall) and hold 1.5 liters (about 0.4 gallons) each.

[For reference, current pots are (2.5 inch x 2.5 inch x 10 inch tall) and hold 857 ml (about 0.23 gallons) each.]

So the rocket pots would fit a similar footprint but be nearly twice as big as the treepots and would have the added benefit of air pruning from all sides and the bottom. Should allow for optimal draining since they're designed to be used in a flood table. What do you guys think?

Of course, I'd have to rebuild the table because the pots wouldn't fit in my current gutters.

Here's a video from the company....

[youtubeif]0c7FyujVNP8[/youtubeif]

Last edited:

bobblehead

Veteran
I think you should SRGB for a price quote on a pot of those dimensions. Then you would have something to compare the rocket pot to. The other benefit I'd see going with a fabric pot is that it's collapsible for easy storage and transportation... I don't know if that's any issue for you. They look cool though.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I think you should SRGB for a price quote on a pot of those dimensions. Then you would have something to compare the rocket pot to. The other benefit I'd see going with a fabric pot is that it's collapsible for easy storage and transportation... I don't know if that's any issue for you. They look cool though.

I was planning on doing so. Thanks for the suggestion. Your input is always valuable, even if to only reinforce my own conclusions. Those rocket pots ship flat. Unfolded and laid flat they'd all fit in one decent sized "moving" box, but definitely not as compact as fabric would.

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
those pots are really cool..I really like airpots and smart pots.

I recently put in the racks for my dual 150w grow that's modeled after yours...I decided to pick up pvc rain gutters for the trays at first ($!!) but they ended up being a little wider then I wanted for the mt-38's... I decided to return em. Instead I went with a piece of 4" pvc fencepost cover...I cut it longways right down the middle and ended up with 2 x 2" deep trays that the treepots fit into great :) ... I chopped an endcap in half for each end and used a bunch of silicone to tie the corners together. ..also a 6 foot piece of 4" pvc fence post is only like 6$ so I got 2x 6' trays fer 6$! far cheaper then any other option I could find.

They also have 6" fencepost covers out there too! maybe one of those sizes would work good for you if you need to make the trays larger. You could even cut of just the top part and end up with a 6" deep x 6" wide tray. ..also I actually was able to cut them with my jigsaw using a woodblade...cut nice and easy.

:tiphat:...just throwing another idea out there to add to the pile of possibilities... thanks fer the inspiration bud :respect:

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Well, I got a response from the Rocket Pot guys. Bad news is it will take up to 2 months for them to ship them to me.

So now I'll wait for my response from SRGB and make a decision.

D

DHF

Hell A....What`s wrong with re-using the tree pots or maybe I missed something ?.....Saw those things called rose pots yrs and yrs ago for dormant rose bushes , but the depth works well for settin a good taproot for budsicles as shown the difference between the regular tall one`s and the cut down containers per your pics worth 1000 words.........

Rootzone means EVERYTHING whether it be trees or budsicles yer runnin cuz once stretch is over and roots cease to grow , the more lateral roots that do all the eatin for the plants nourishment for swellage till the end of cycle are DIRECTLY related to how tall the taproot is once stretch is over......so....

Why change just for the sake of changing......I say dial whatchas got MANY times and THEN try and increase yields cuz there`s plenty of room in that canopy to be filled in more with the proper strain and I`m sure it`d be easy ta build more of those lil thingies to monocrop other strains for dialage and new improved ideas.....

Not to say the medium , feed regimen , and containers can`t be improved upon cuz all these things can be tweaked , but the cabinet`s already built......

Build the next one`s to accomodate new containers for increased plant numbers and make em blow up with automated feed...

Folks always chasin the bigger better deal when it`s right up under yer ass.....Dial whatchas got.....especially with your innovative lil cabinet setup thingy.....

Good luck on harvey....DHF....:ying:.....

Last edited:

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Anti

You gave your container size as;

Container Size: 2.5"x2.5"x10" (857 ml / 0.2 gal)

Stuewe & Sons Inc. makes many sizes of treepots. I'm looking at one now called the "SHORT-ONE".

9 1/2" tall, base 3" x 3", top 4" x 4".

Five inches up from the bottom, the pot is 3 1/2" across, which is the height and width of your flood troughs. The "SHORT-ONE" is only 1/2" shorter than your containers but maximizes the possible width. This would give you more root volume using the same spacing or tighter. With the short veg time of budcicles maybe root space isn't a limiting factor.

I'm using one gallon containers in flood tubs. It's been interesting seeing how the root growth responds to different water levels and timing. My harvested plants showed little root growth in the upper half of the coir. I think this is from accumulated salts. Bottom feeding in coir is a recipe for salt build-up in the top layers of media. When I flooded deeper trying to wet the media up higher, conditions became anoxic at the bottom of the container and roots suffered. Clearex has helped with the salts. Periodic flushing of course. I may try to only flood once a day and maximize the depth to see what that does.

I imagine you have roots throughout your containers from submerging during watering. With an ebb and flow with tall narrow treepots it will be interesting to see how the roots respond.

In reading what people have said about auto-flowering varieties, the message is consistent that deep containers make a big difference, but width matters little. Seems the plant grows until the taproot hits bottom. So for some varieties the tall container may be a real plus even if roots may not utilize the upper portions of media when bottom fed.

Just different ideas I'm throwing out here into the mix.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
*** UPDATE WITH PICS (WEEK 8 OF FLOWER!) ***

*** UPDATE WITH PICS (WEEK 8 OF FLOWER!) ***

WEEK VIII

Happy Thanksgiving!

picture.php

^^^ Whole Table From Afar #1 ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Whole Table Slightly Closer #2 ^^^

picture.php

^^^ My New Favorite Picture From This Grow ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Front and Center Looking Left ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Front and Center Looking Right ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Back Right Corner ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Back Left Corner ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Top, Top, Pepsi/Pepsi, Bottom, Bottom ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Just the Tops ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Left Top ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Right Top ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Top Macro ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Two Bottoms ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Bottom Right ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Bottom Right Macro ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Bottom Right Macro #2 ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Bottom Left ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Bottom Left Close Up ^^^

picture.php

^^^ Bottom Left Macro ^^^

Notes:

• Went for the Wednesday update because tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I won't have time.
  • Took my scale apart, cleaned it and put new batteries in it and it works! Now I don't have to go buy a new one!

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
Getting close! Looks real nice, and trimming those should be a breeze...
When do you expect to chop? Too much going on for me to remember what strain, and expected flower period, but it has to be in the next week or two either way right?

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Getting close! Looks real nice, and trimming those should be a breeze...
When do you expect to chop? Too much going on for me to remember what strain, and expected flower period, but it has to be in the next week or two either way right?

I checked back through the thread and he's running AK47.

The plants all have a nice long bud at the top and then a number of chunky nuggets near the bottom. Looks like these plants would like to branch out. Seems there are other strains which would grow a nice solid fat central cola. I'm not the guy to make that suggestion but I'm sure others can.

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
wow this grow seems like it's flying by. Everytime I check it out I think 'damn I need to get my shit together'

:lurk:

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Gorgeous!!

Plants are looking nice as is that new favorite pic of yours, I still got a thing for ladies night though :D Home stretch bruh, pretty sure this is gonna turn out to be epic!

benjuanman

Veteran
Great progress u got happening Anti. Not long now and all ur hard work and planning will pay off with a bumpa harvest. Peace

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Keep on rockin Anti. I've been watching the views on your thread soar...

My success stems from my utter belief in the concept that we are greater as a community than I will ever be as an individual.

I am learning constantly from the threads I read here. I'm subscribed to almost 400 threads at this point and that doesn't count all the "dead" threads that I've read cover to cover more than once.

I try to be super detailed (and make it fun if I can) because I want to return some fraction of what this community gives me and help it to grow.

I am still a beginner walking in the footsteps of the giants who came before me. Much easier to walk when someone else has already beaten a path. And there are many helpful, friendly homies around that help me think thoughts I've never thought before.

Last edited: