What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Double Thai

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Hope stocks hold out because I have this on my list for next order. Crazy 6 for 6 there HidingInTheHaze. It would be nice to find a Meao Thai pheno male though :)

It shouldn't be too hard to find a nice male that fits the thai characteristics.
So far I have seen 2 main phenotypes, and have had about 3 of each.

Pheno 1 is very thai looking, thin leaves, slender build with long branches.

Pheno 2 has much broader leaves, doesn't grow quite as fast and does't really grow any lateral branches. It actually kind of looks like an indica hybrid. Not what you would think of when you think of a thai.

Dubi has said males are quite rare in this line, thats why I took advantage of the situation when I found a good one. Now I just have to find a nice female.

k-s-p

Veteran
Pheno 1 sounds like a good male. You kind of hit the lottery with the males, now I'm sure you'll find some nice females. Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Subscribed

Subscribed

Hey everyone here is one of my Double Thai seedlings at day 120 of bud. It has been under a combination of HPS and MH on a 11/13 light cycle. It could go a little longer in the future but I really want that energetic Sativa effect, so I am cutting it down now.
picture.php

I have placed my second Ace Seeds order, and I can't believe I still have not purchased the Double Thai. Oh well, I guess Dubi can expect future business from me. I hope these continue to be available. Thais are intimidating to attempt to grow (and smoke!) but the effects are very unique. Kudos to all of you who have taken the challenge!
:biggrin:

I must say, these Thai strains do not look like what I have grown in the past. I have only grown one successfully, but I have personally seen two different types. I read, somewhere long ago, that Thailand had about 10 distinct strains. I think it was Robert Connell Clarke that wrote that, but I am not sure.

The good news is that nearly everything I have purchased had the Meao Thai in it. I believe that as I continue to pollen chuck, I'll eventually find a nearly pure Meao Thai leaning individual. Despite Mendel's theory and Chi-squared mathematics, I believe that there is at least some tendency for genes to want to recombine back to a previously stabile state of some ancestor. Or, I have been astronomically lucky more than once. I call these "throw backs" to some ancestor, or a "freak" recombination because they look so different from the rest of the Mendelian-like segregated groups in the population.

I always liked the breeder Luther Burbank who created so many plant strains in his lifetime. He simplified everything by growing large numbers to chose from and saying, "breed the best, and forget the rest".

I really digressed here. Bottom line is, Double Thai looks and sounds really good!

All the Best,

ThaiBliss

nigel420

How long do they take to show sex? also how much do they stretch during flower? do you think i could complete a grow in a 3litre pot?

The Hatter

Veteran
How long do they take to show sex? also how much do they stretch during flower? do you think i could complete a grow in a 3litre pot?

I haven't grown double thia myself but 3 liters is a bit tight for any long flowering sativa. Anything I have seen grown that is at least 50% thia gets huge fast. I grew out Destroyer (50% Meo Thia) in a 4 gallon pot which is about 5 times that size of what you are thinking of using and by the end of flower it was approaching root bound.

With a bit over a month of veg my Destroyer ended up almost 8 ft tall including the pot by the end of flower. It was only half Meo Thia.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Double Thais can stretch over 6x in height during bud. My first seedling was budded at 10 inches and finished at 63 inches. My second seedling was budded at 11" and ins't done but is around 60" at day 130 of flower. They are pretty quick to show sex as well, probably about 3 weeks after sprouting. As for the 3 liter pot, I wouldn't try a seedling in that. A small clone would work great in small pots. Just cut some clones and put them straight into flower after rooting(top them if vertical space is limited). For testers I run Sativas in very small pots(4" squares) and they work great. Have fun with the Thais anyway!

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
Is it ok to repot these plants mid flower ?
yes just watch out that the medium you plant into is not charged with nutes.
I usually test plants by letting them stretch and start flowering before I make my final flowering transplant. It gives them the root room to expand their rootball and fatten the buds in the process without more growth in hight.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
It shouldn't be too hard to find a nice male that fits the thai characteristics.
So far I have seen 2 main phenotypes, and have had about 3 of each.

Pheno 1 is very thai looking, thin leaves, slender build with long branches.

Pheno 2 has much broader leaves, doesn't grow quite as fast and does't really grow any lateral branches. It actually kind of looks like an indica hybrid. Not what you would think of when you think of a thai.

Dubi has said males are quite rare in this line, thats why I took advantage of the situation when I found a good one. Now I just have to find a nice female.

HidingInTheHaze,

Got Pics?

My shortest post ever,

ThaiBliss

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
HidingInTheHaze,

Got Pics?

My shortest post ever,

ThaiBliss

Of all of the males? or just the male I kept? If you just want to see my selected male I will have to look around to see if I have some pics. As for the other males I don't think I saved any pics of those. I was looking for heavy thai traits to do some breeding with, so I kind of just skipped over the other male pheno's.

I've actually been holding this DT male for months now, just getting ready to use him in some crosses.

I am thoroughly impressed by a few things, 1. his low nutrient requirements, 2. his stereotypical thai build and 3. how well he grows in the indoor environment. I have abused him a bit, let him grow in tiny pots, cloned him a bunch of times and no matter what he's always happy as can be.

I had to postpone the search for a female for the time being. I have to work much faster varieties to make up for lost yields earlier this year.

Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Of all of the males? or just the male I kept? If you just want to see my selected male I will have to look around to see if I have some pics. As for the other males I don't think I saved any pics of those. I was looking for heavy thai traits to do some breeding with, so I kind of just skipped over the other male pheno's.

I've actually been holding this DT male for months now, just getting ready to use him in some crosses.

I am thoroughly impressed by a few things, 1. his low nutrient requirements, 2. his stereotypical thai build and 3. how well he grows in the indoor environment. I have abused him a bit, let him grow in tiny pots, cloned him a bunch of times and no matter what he's always happy as can be.

I had to postpone the search for a female for the time being. I have to work much faster varieties to make up for lost yields earlier this year.

Hey, I'll take whatever you got. The male you kept would be great to see. I'm like a little kid, I like to read and discuss, but pictures make it better IMHO. If it weren't for being able to see more pictures, I might have never created an account here at ICMAG.

ThaiBliss

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Double Thais can stretch over 6x in height during bud. My first seedling was budded at 10 inches and finished at 63 inches. My second seedling was budded at 11" and ins't done but is around 60" at day 130 of flower. They are pretty quick to show sex as well, probably about 3 weeks after sprouting. As for the 3 liter pot, I wouldn't try a seedling in that. A small clone would work great in small pots. Just cut some clones and put them straight into flower after rooting(top them if vertical space is limited). For testers I run Sativas in very small pots(4" squares) and they work great. Have fun with the Thais anyway!

Thanks SeedsofFreedom for share your first hand experience with your double thais :) You did a great job with her indoors. How are the smoking tests after a bit of curing ? Hope you are enjoying there! ;)

HidingInTheHaze, beautiful Double Thai male! :) Hope he is useful for your own breeding projects, Regards!

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Sorry guys I guess I forgot to do a smoke report. The Double Thai is all smoked by now anyway, but I remember them clearly. I found a keeper easily enough, I will regrow her with some more Sativas. This Double Thai has a nice clear buzz, with no burnout. The potency is about average, but the ceiling is almost nonexistent. The buzz is probably why all my Thai is smoked already! Smoking 1 joint is good, but keep smoking and the buzz keeps building up. It is a true joy to smoke 4 or 5 joints in a row, each joint brings you up a level more. The high is focused. Its a great buzz for playing or listening to music. The taste was good, but this plant is about the effect. The most dominant flavor is that typical Sativa taste(think like Nevilles Haze type tastes, sorry for lack of words to describe that taste!) with some sweet and pine like flavors. This strain is very unique and a pleasure to grow. I am just about to chop down some Ace Panama ladies on Thursday or Friday, then I might have to grow some more Double Thais out....

ThaiBliss

Veteran
SOF,

Maybe it would be stronger if it had brighter light. The one time I successfully grew pure Thai, I had a 1000 watt HPS lamp on a light mover. All my other plants finished about a month earlier, so I turned off the mover, placed the plant directly underneath the light. The lamp had a large parabolic reflector. It was made from a bunch of triangles that had small bolts to assemble it into the parabola. I used those bolts to hook strings onto that pulled branches of the plants to the edge of the reflector. That weed turned out so strong, there was no way you could finish a joint, much less have enough brain power left to be able to focus on rolling another.

I have a very sativa looking plant flowering now. It is the highly reputed Zamaldelica. It has Thai, Zamal, and Malawi in it. I still have that old Sun Circle light mover, but I chopped down the arms shorter, and put two 400 watt lamps on it. One is metal halide daylight, the other is high pressure sodium. Now it fits into a 3 x 3 foot cabinet giving the plants about 90 watts per square foot. I think it needs even more light. In my next cabinet incarnation, I'm thinking of adding a plasma light to the mix. For now, I may get a lizard light to add extra ultraviolet light. I want this plant to get maximum light to show its best potential under indoor conditions.

Sounds like you appreciate the nice Thai effects! Maybe it can get stronger on your next grow. Thanks for sharing your report with us. If I don't burn my plant to a crisp, I'll let you know how it turns out.

ThaiBliss

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Hope to find some Double Thai in my Tropical Mix pack.
Sounds like a lovely plant and high.
Thanks for sharing, SOF. :)

Saludos

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Sorry guys I guess I forgot to do a smoke report. The Double Thai is all smoked by now anyway, but I remember them clearly. I found a keeper easily enough, I will regrow her with some more Sativas. This Double Thai has a nice clear buzz, with no burnout. The potency is about average, but the ceiling is almost nonexistent. The buzz is probably why all my Thai is smoked already! Smoking 1 joint is good, but keep smoking and the buzz keeps building up. It is a true joy to smoke 4 or 5 joints in a row, each joint brings you up a level more. The high is focused. Its a great buzz for playing or listening to music. The taste was good, but this plant is about the effect. The most dominant flavor is that typical Sativa taste(think like Nevilles Haze type tastes, sorry for lack of words to describe that taste!) with some sweet and pine like flavors. This strain is very unique and a pleasure to grow. I am just about to chop down some Ace Panama ladies on Thursday or Friday, then I might have to grow some more Double Thais out....

Hi SeedsOfFreedom,

Im glad you enjoyed the Double Thai :) Only a few growers have the courage and patience to grow this extreme tropical sativa correctly indoors, my props to you!

Double Thai effect is kind, up and happy, a very well focused sativa experience, perfect to do activities and to smoke the whole day without feeling tired or burnout. As you experienced, the tolerance with this tropical sativas is very low, so despite the potency is not so strong or evident, you can go up and up with every new shot till arrive to a point of clarity/elevating where sativa/indica or indica hybrids can not bring you.

We mostly recommend Double Thai for outdoor growing in tropical/subtropical climates where she really produces bigger yields and extra potency, but for your comments you really did her justice indoors and im happy the outcome was of your taste, it's a real good sign you finished your Double Thai stash so fast :D

Thanks for share your experience!

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Hey Dubi , as I go through the rest of my Double Thai seeds, how could I tell the Meao Thai influence vs the Ko Chang Thai influence. What are the differences in growth, taste, and effects? Also is ACE seeds Thai Stick related, and is it IBL or Hybrid? Thanks a lot brother!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hola SeedsOfFreedom,

Koh Chang mother has strong structure, thicker stems, bigger leaves with a more pale color. The aroma is lemony, sour, spicy and woody and the high is super clean, motivating and refreshing.

Meo Thai from Cannabiogen has thinner darker leaves and a more delicate and thin appearance, the high is very electric in the good individuals. Charlie can share more info about the meo (hmong) thai, he is more familiarized with the line than me.

The Thai Stick was the Gypsy's line available also at SeedBoutique, that we also distributed through ACE Seeds 2 years ago.

Hope it helps!

Latest posts

Latest posts