What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sharing tech? Keep Secrets?

Jewcepuddle

I just wanted to make this thread to share my opinion about the last 2 years and my experiences when it comes to hash and techniques to make it.

Just a little background on me, I have been smoking and enjoying hashish for about 7 years now, I really love trichome glands and never go a day without the bliss of hashish. However, it did take me a few years to really realize what I was smoking and which type of hash was made with which technique, but thats another story. I just made this thread to say that if you have a really awesome special technique to separate trichomes / hash, please don't keep it a secret!!! Yes it is your choice and I do appreciate your right to keep it to yourself.... having said that:

I watched for 5+ years while people did not share their "secret technique" and kept others wondering how to make "Just Heads" or "Clear domes"(Basically just drysifted heads) which ultimately was just isolated micron sizes that catch heads and allow other debris to fall through if done correctly.

During those years I did as much research and brainstorming as I could, despite my best attempts I could not figure it out because those sharing the pictures of perfect hash would proclaim things like "My friend goes into a room and in less then 10 mins comes out with perfect just heads!" and all my ideas would take longer then that to isolate heads.... I contacted the ones sharing pictures, I swore secrecy and told them it was just for personal use and that I would never share the info with anyone EVER I just wanted clean hash...

After 3.5 years and no luck(No one would tell me anything) I literally gave up and just went back to solvent based extracts because they made sense and I knew how to do them :( , it was economical and although I could feel the solvent hash was not 100% healthy it did deliver the effects I needed from the plant. If one of the people who knew how to make the perfect hash woud have shared with me, I would be healthier today and so would my family. Thankfully someone finally leaked the info on how to make drysift "just heads" and now everyone can access this material :dance013:

I am very glad today to say that I do not ingest ANY solvent based hash/concentrate and have access to solventless hash. But imagine the people who died years ago(perhaps even just months before the technique was released), they could have had solvenltess drysift heads before they passed on. People who never got access the un-altered medicinal values of these glands... there are people who did not make it this far to enjoy this type of technique, so those of you keeping your secrets, remember what it may cause.

Also, I attribute the current rosin movement to the quick drysift method that was kept hidden for years and then suddenly released. I believe it made people understand trichome gland structures much more and helped them to think and realize how trichomes can be manipulated more efficiently. I am very very happy we all know about drysift and rosin today and hope that in the future perhaps even superior ways to isolate glands are thought up and shared for the love of the plant, not the love of ones ego.

I hope we can all understand that hash is medicine and that keeping methods secret may actually take pleasure and joy away from others.... *sigh* this is just my opinion and I do not want to offend those to believe keeping trade secrets is right. I realize that some trade secrets must be kept secret to keep people safe perhaps from volatile reactions ETC but drysifting just heads should have honestly been public knowledge before 2010 in my humble opinion :tiphat: :tiphat: Thanks for reading if you made it this far

Jewcepuddle

Juice_1.png

Juice3.png

Juice2.png

Juice4.png

Sorry about double posts, I can't edit my posts yet due to post count, woops.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jewcepuddle

Can you post how to make it? How long does it take to make it? How much effort?

All the pics I posted are just ice water hashish, nothing special :)

I am sure most people have an ok grasp on water hash to say the least. PM me if you need specifics though I will gladly answer any question you have :)

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
I've been in the cannabis game for almost a decade and found numerous ways of making hash. All claimed to produce superior produce with detailed instruction.
Dry sift have been around for a long long time.
However, turns out some methods were extremely better than others - problem is not many people did the screening for the best methods and released their findings.
With the legalization of weed happening this reality changes.

I share all my techniques, be it growing, harvesting, curing, hash making etc.
I think this is the fastest way to GET information.

My current fav. method of hash making is an old skool 4 step (work bag, 120 debris, 72 for money 40 for leftovers removal), dry it until it crumbles to powder (for quick consumption I don't mind a bit of water) and hand press it until it is plyable and blackish.
Then the hash is cured for a week or two (depending on the high type) and stored in the fridge.
I like to shape the hash into balls and bricks so there's less surface area.

If I got a piece I know I'll be munching on regularly I will shape it into a snake so I can easily break a piece while cold using my fingers.

One of the Yekke Seeds members perfected the process and claims adding dry ice to the water bucket while stirring lowers the temps. further than only ice and gives off more hash while maintaining a proper product.

Question is probably what you'r after - straight up potency or the whole complex effect of hash, including flavanoids, aromas and such even if it cost some potency.
I'm with the latter.

Sunfire

Veteran
Jewce, come on, you can't say all that and not lay down you most advanced tech for drysift and water hash. Come on, let's hear it!

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Yup.

I can make hashish three or four times a year as I
grow micro style.

the ice water method, adapted to my sloth is to freeze trim
and leftover cured stash, add that to a blender with a few ice cubes
and cold water.

Blend on low with a speed controller for a few minutes.

Strain thru coarse mesh, about 150 microns.

Pour strained liquid into a canning funnel through a 74 micron mesh.
Let stand until drained.

I run about 30 grams of dried, frozen trim and buds with
yield just under two grams of good hashish.

It's delightful.

Sunfire

Veteran
Takes fresh wet material, uncured, freeze it, then try that out, put the frozen nugs, trim right into the mix from the freezer, it'll blow your mind but obvioisly on the smaller scale that means you'll have to wet trim as I imagine you don't leave lots of B buds behind on the plants

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I never thought I could even make hash due to the small
amount of material I have to work with.

I tried dry sift, but didn't have the knack to get good results.

I read some of this thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=230665

Now I have hashish to smoke whenever I want, which is
not often, as it lays me out.

My product is dark in color, a little dry, but melty good.

lol.

Jewcepuddle

Jewce, come on, you can't say all that and not lay down you most advanced tech for drysift and water hash. Come on, let's hear it!

The most important thing is to understand the structure of trichomes and how temperature pressure and moisture will effect them. I like to think of trichomes as small spheres with very volatile oil inside a thin wax membrane skin layer. Your goal is to keep trichomes intact(Non burst) because once the oil inside breaks out from within it begins degrading(Not at very very low temperatures) and can also lead to crystallization, keeping the wax membrane intact is much easier the lower the temperature because it will harden the trichome skin.

The first thread I read and learned about the two screen technique was deleted and can no longer be found, first it was posted by someone called "Drysiftwizard" and later was reposted I believe, I cannot seem to find it, sorry! However many people use this tech and here is a link to a video of it in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkUv4kKYLdo#t=16m50s this is a method that will give high quality with a low yield, here you can see the entire method from screening to pressing a dab in a very quick time, less then 20 minutes.

After you sift your material you can then make BHO or waterhash or even sift it in a more agressive way to get a lower quality higher yield resin. You want to be in a cold room with low humidity, even if you make perfect drysift it can still grab moisture from the air if the humidity is high enough, also the cure is very important and you wanna keep the resin layered thin and at a low humidity and temperature for about a week or so in a cold cure state that preserves the flavor and potency, some people cure for a month or more and say they notice a difference. Drysifting is the best method to insure quality but I still prefer well made waterhash to well made drysift, I just like the flavor profile and sting a little more on water hash.

woolybear

Veteran
cool video. dang that guy has a nice spot.

however i think i saw the dry sift leaving a fair amount of residue in the nail?

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Sam, what dry sift tech can you recommand (other than your secret one) for ~100g of material?

I use the water extraction because it is easy and consistant and doesn't require too much drying of the materials for preparation.
I don't usually mind a bit of residues in my hash as long as it burns and compresses properly.
I put more attention to proper materials and then I'm good with pretty much any dialed up method.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Hey Fonzee... have you seen people using parchment paper to lift their sift?

It's all in the static ;)

The bit you might be interestedin is around 9/10 mins onwards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCsQVUu7EEI
Yes I did, interesting stuff.
I think that's a bit too much refinement. I got to admit I like a bit of residues in my hash as I like the taste much better than the almost 100% clean hash.
But nontheless seems like a good method to remove the residues when needed.

I'm still in the screen search part of my dry sift endeavour...

How dry to get the materials before use? How small to chop? what screens are best and where is best to get them in europe? what is the best motion for carding?

Sunfire

Veteran
Bone dry and 2 month cured is preferable unless you use dry ice or a freezer to tumble the material first and then sift the resulting kief. I wouldn't break up trim at all, flowers I would get bone dry and gently break them up just enough to get more surface area. Super dense indica flowers won't be easy to get all the trich off of.

there are many people selling screens sets now, you can Google them. Or you can make your own ss screens from mesh of varying micron sizes. Benny the stooge on ebay has good deals!

Sunfire

Veteran
Holy cow sam take it easy on the poor guy. Lots of info on the mag is cut and paste. Most of it is old techniques or research applied to new materials, like cannabis.

I have a rosin machine in the works using proprietary technique I developed so I can empathize there. 20 years is too long though bro, hurry up I want one lol!