What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mysterious spy cameras collecting data at Colorado post offices

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Not terribly surprising.

http://kfor.com/2015/03/12/mysterious-spy-cameras-collecting-data-at-colorado-post-offices/

DENVER — Within an hour of a KDVR reporter discovering a hidden camera, which was positioned to capture and record the license plates and facial features of customers leaving a Denver post office, the device was ripped from the ground and disappeared.
Investigative reporter Chris Halsne confirmed the hidden camera and recorder is owned and operated by the United State Postal Inspection Service, the law enforcement branch of the U.S. Postal Service.
The recording device appeared to be tripped by any vehicle leaving the property on Johnson Road, but the lens was not positioned to capture images of the front door, employee entrance, or loading dock areas of the post office.
A customer first noticed the data collection device, hidden inside a utilities box, around Thanksgiving 2014. It stayed in place, taking photos through the busy Christmas holidays and into mid-January.
Managers inside the post office tell KDVR they were unaware customers were being photographed outside and that the surveillance was not part of the building’s security monitoring.
A spokesperson for Postal Inspection Service declined to address the specific reason for the domestic surveillance, but admitted the agency had a “number of cameras at their disposal.”
Pamela Durkee, a Federal Law Enforcement Agent and U.S. Postal Inspector, sent an email to KDVR explaining, “(We) do not engage in routine or random surveillance. Cameras are deployed for law enforcement or security purposes, which may include the security of our facilities, the safety of our customers and employees, or for criminal investigations. Employees of the Postal Inspection Service are sworn to uphold the United States Constitution, including protecting the privacy of the American public.”
KDVR reviewed criminal search warrants on file in city, county, and federal court but none appeared to be related to the Golden post office camera set-up. The Postal Inspection Service would not confirm or deny that the camera was collecting data for a specific case or cases.
Lee Tien, an attorney for the San Francisco-based Electronic Frontier Foundation, says more and more federal agencies are getting away with conducting surveillance and collecting personal data of citizens without a warrant signed by a judge.
“Part of being a responsible, constitutional government is explaining why it is doing surveillance on its citizens,” Lee told Halsne. “The government should not be collecting this kind of sensitive information. And it is sensitive! It`s about your relationships, your associations with other people, which can be friendship or political or religious. The idea that we give up that privacy simply because we use the U.S. mail is, I think, a silly idea.”
Lee says EFF has been fighting for greater government transparency when it comes to the way agencies like the FBI and the National Security Agency have been vacuuming up massive amounts of cell phone, email and license plates data and storing them in a central computer system.
Lee says, “The idea that they would be able to keep that information forever and search through it whenever they want to – that seems very, very wrong to us because it means you’ll be able to accumulate over time a lot of innocent peoples’ information and then use it in the kinds of ways that would not be overseen by any kind of court or independent third party.”
KDVR filed multiple Freedom of Information Act requests with the Postal Service, Postal Inspection Service, and Office of the Inspector General in an attempt to identify the cost and scope of the Postal Inspection Service surveillance program.
None of the agencies could provide a written data retention policy, which would detail how long USPIS could keep the images agents have been collecting from the Golden post office camera and other cameras around the Denver area. Similarly, there does not appear to be a policy regarding in what circumstances other federal agencies may have access to the personal information gathered from the cameras.
Our discovery of this camera program comes just months after the U.S. Postal Service was forced to reveal (during a Congressional hearing) that it was videotaping and storing the address and return information from billions of pieces of mail at its distribution centers.
A federal audit in 2014 found that the Post Office had “insufficient” controls in place when allowing law enforcement agencies access to the data collected from that “mail cover” program.
We did locate a California company which claims it sold the U.S. Postal Service “consumer surveillance systems,” which come installed with wireless data retrieval and infrared night capabilities.
Hop-On Incorporated did not return our repeated calls to elaborate on its self-proclaimed deal. Our FOIA requests for federal contracts and financial information about Hop-On and other contractors who sell USPS and USPIS camera equipment were returned to us void of all information.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
They're probably there to see whose mailing big stinky boxes.

Or just MASS data gather. Cannabis is just one evil they and the Patriot act must protect us from.

Anyone talk to a postal inspector, from their burner phone or otherwise? Fun times....

:joint:

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Or just MASS data gather. Cannabis is just one evil they and the Patriot act must protect us from.

Anyone talk to a postal inspector, from their burner phone or otherwise? Fun times....

I don't know I've been reading news articles about neighboring states getting agitated over CO growers sending pot to other states.

They probably legally cant record you in a PO but outside may be a different story. Think of how much data can be gathered from the outside of a PO. If they have a seized package full of weed, they can tell which PO it was sent from, now they have video showing who comes and goes with pictures of them and packages they are sending you match a seized box of pot with the video showing who brought it in and now you got something to go off of.

watts

ohms
Veteran
They have always had cameras inside, they are using these cameras outside to capture license plates, to try and connect them with faces.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Hence the mass data gather, doesn't have to be cannabis.

Those seized packages have tracking numbers, with dates and times and locations, computers easily SYNCHRONIZE time stamped data.

Video of all, including facial recognition is being taken almost all the time. They neither use it to bust pot heads nor terrorists; but rather to maintain control and know who is up to what.

DrFever

Veteran
interesting like anything else surveillance camera's have been around a long time like 4 generations you be surprised at how many eyes are watching you where ever you go

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I wonder if they looking for the last person in 'murica that
gives a rat's ass, lol.

Jhhnn

Veteran
What they want is obvious- the ability to connect the face of somebody mailing a "suspicious package" with the license # of an automobile & the owner's identity.

Obviously, the return address is meaningless.

barnyard

they're trying to catch beer smugglers...its the school of mines kids mailing Coors to TN, obviously...they've watched smokey and the bandit too many times and think that you can't ship coors East of the Mississippi

JointOperation

ya I think its about catching the weed shippers and mainly money shippers.. if they cant make money off seizing pot.. and the money that comes along with it .. on the legal side.. they want to catch anything and everything that's being shipped out .

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
So no one else has ever spoken to a federal postal inspector and had them ask permission to open mail addressed to them? Fun times....

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
at this point in time I assume every second I am in a civilized area I am being recorded...only deep in the wilderness would a camera surprise me..other than game cam which I will then remove data card from ...yeehaw

DrFever

Veteran
ya I think its about catching the weed shippers and mainly money shippers.. if they cant make money off seizing pot.. and the money that comes along with it .. on the legal side.. they want to catch anything and everything that's being shipped out .
To think they put them in place for what you said above is being little silly i think ,,, with possible terrorist attacks mail bombs , chemical scares , etc i would think the camera is there to record people comings and goings and in case something mailed from that postal outlet is involved, with just that, back tracking the source and hoping to get a lead or a picture of the person that mailed it no different then credit card ATM theft you see it on the news picture of some guy coming and leaving a machine and it goes out to public if anyone knows this person please contact crime stoppers or local police :)
And believe it or not in the high tech era we are in one picture of a person run through some data base can find you rather quickly you ever wonder why when your arrested they take your picture ?? you think its for there YEAR BOOK :)

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
you picture can easilly be found on dmv database too....that drivers liscense picture...with facial recognition software now who knows how far they have gone....yeehaw...sun glasses and a good hat

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
you picture can easilly be found on dmv database too....that drivers liscense picture...with facial recognition software now who knows how far they have gone....yeehaw...sun glasses and a good hat

Yee Haw is right

picture.php

Or this?

picture.php

Perhaps???

picture.php

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Big Brother is watching everywhere in the P.O., so don't go there for illegal stuff.
Been there, worked there.

I escaped!

W

wegobigupnorth

Big Brother is watching everywhere in the P.O., so don't go there for illegal stuff.
Been there, worked there.

I escaped!

If you worked there, why don't you share with us what exactly you mean and what tactics they use to catch packages and individuals shipping them? Not at all saying I do not believe you. I am saying your knowledge is of great interest to many of us here I am sure....