What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guawi

TheIsland

hi dubi,
ive just done a bit of research and i can confirm i recieved the seeds in the very early part of 2007.
and i have even found old photographs of the packets i recieved the seeds in, and on the bottom of the packs they do indeed say 'Catalogo 2006'

:friends:

TheIsland

hello again dubi,

here is an old description i have found in my archive from a cut and paste from your ACE Seeds description at the exact time i bought them ...

this is all a direct cut and paste from yourselves..

"Genetics: Malawi x Guatemala. 100% sativa. the mother malawi are the clone of more powerful sativa and old than we conserved in nuetra collection. Its incredible production of gigantic tricommas, its density of flowers without hardly leaf and its devastating power that the hard and nervous smoker demolishes but, they turn it a pump of cannabinoides. When polinizar the mother malawi with our sativa of Guatemala, we have created a hybrid sativa F1 of great vigor, production and carries far power. The Guatemala contributes a strong structure, long and voluminous flowers and one more a shorter flowering, also improving the African flavor of the original clone. Recommended for the cultivators who look for a sativa of high production and Maxima power. Structure: High and graft Sativa. Bouquet: Aroma with especiados beginnings and amaderados, with a deep bottom of resins and oils. Power: The most powerful effect."

:tiphat:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi TheIsland :)

Glad to know the first Guawi regular release you grew produced some of the strongest smokes you have ever grown! The new feminized versions of the strain produced since then are even better, equally stronger, but with much more better terpene profiles thanks the contribution of the more refined Tikal terpenes coming from latest generation Tikal parental plant used to produce latest Guawi fem versions.

hi dubi,
yes i think it was the very early days, i think i got them straight away when you had mentioned them on the 'other forum'.
i bought them along with a pack of 'nepalese highland'.
the 5 guawi i originally grew out were some of the strongest smoke ive ever grown.
i only lost the mothers due to some personal problems.
thank god i kept the remaining 5 seeds safe.
i will keep you updated as and when i get a chance to try to germinate them next month.
thanks for the reply

M

Mr D

20190303_174206.jpg Early in flower. Appears to be a bit more Malawi dominant than my first go around.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Mr D,

Nice to know you are in process of flowering one Guawi :)
It will be a pleasure to follow your progresses with her whenever you have the chance.

ColaCalyx

Guawi curing since November

Guawi curing since November

This is a small nug broken up, admittedly my pictures suck and I zoomed in a bit close. I'll post another later that does this herb justice. The Guawi is frosty, potent, and long-lasting. I grew one with beautiful fruity and floral notes, but the one pictured is woody, resiny, and ginger root - loving both expressions!

Attachments

• 20190529_171907.jpg
    20190529_171907.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 75

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi ColaCalyx,

The Guawi buds of your last post lean clearly towards the Old Malawi Killer mother with those giant trichomes and very high resin density.

Guawi's Malawi leaners are woody and resinous as you correctly described. Tikal leaners are the ones to look for most interesting fruity and floral terpenes in this hybrid.

Glad you are already enjoying with your 2 Guawi phenos. ;)

The Hatter

Veteran
I just thought I would chime in with a quick report of the one Guawi fem I popped since the pheno seems very unusual compared to what I've seen on here. The plant's overall structure looks very similar to some of what I've seen in this thread, but it flowers ridiculously fast. I thought at first maybe I had done something that put the plant in panic mode and made it finish more quickly than it should but I've grown her out twice with the same result, actually the second time was slightly quicker. This particular Guawi finishes at just short of 8 weeks.

The plant is real head scratcher for me. It is perhaps most notable for its absolutely lovely aroma and taste which is a complex overripe fruit, red wine and peaches sort of thing.

The effect is very warm and clean and of decent potency. It may not be the strongest but it really is a nice effect. The yield unfortunately is consistently poor. Her many branches support numerous small, airy, popcorn buds that although numerous never weigh anything.

She is quite frosty and in the winter when the temps are lower she turns a lovely purple color. Her aroma, taste and effect were so good I grew her again despite yielding just a bit over an ounce. She is the best smelling bud in my collection at the moment. For reference in my set up a good high yielding strain will produce over 4 ounces and I usually bin any clone I get under 2 ounces from unless they are really special in some way.

Edit: Just to be clear growing out this unusual Guawi was a positive experience. Low yield aside she is pretty special and the super fast flowering means she could even be grown with indicas without holding up the flower room. Fast flowering plants as a general rule produce less.

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Sounds indeed like a very special pheno The Hatter :yes:

Neither Malawi or Tikal (even the more indica Tikal expressions) finish in such short flowering times. It's surprising that a Guawi (a cross of both) can produce an 8 week finisher, but sure your girl sounds special with your mouthwatering descriptions of her terpenes :yummy: and her desirable psychoactivity, which seems to carry the warm uplifting sativa qualities, yet low anxious effects of my favorite Tikals, despite the low yields you report on her.

Hope you can preserve her in clone form for the future, maybe you can breed something great with her. And of course, would love to see pics to learn more about her :)

The Hatter

Veteran
Sounds indeed like a very special pheno The Hatter :yes:

Neither Malawi or Tikal (even the more indica Tikal expressions) finish in such short flowering times. It's surprising that a Guawi (a cross of both) can produce an 8 week finisher, but sure your girl sounds special with your mouthwatering descriptions of her terpenes :yummy: and her desirable psychoactivity, which seems to carry the warm uplifting sativa qualities, yet low anxious effects of my favorite Tikals, despite the low yields you report on her.

Hope you can preserve her in clone form for the future, maybe you can breed something great with her. And of course, would love to see pics to learn more about her :)

I'm always a bit pensive when it comes to posting pics, but I just happened to have taken a quick snapshot of a Guawi bud from the last time she flowered. My apologies for the poor quality of the photo. It was never really meant to be shown to anyone.

It's a shame I didn't get any zoomed out pics to show her overall structure. As you can see she was very frosty. This photo was taken at around 8 1/2 weeks if I remember right. I do tend to harvest a bit earlier than most because I like my smoke to be as clear and upbeat as possible. The second run she finished a tad bit faster.

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks a lot The Hatter for sharing a pic of your Guawi :huggg:

She is beauty, not a big yielder, but looks very resinous and if she delivers terpene profiles and effects of your taste in such short flowering times then it's definitely worth to keep her for future grows :yes:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Guawi included in our permanent catalog, available in regular and feminized format

Guawi included in our permanent catalog, available in regular and feminized format

High all! :wave:

We are happy to announce that from this year onwards Guawi (both: regular and feminized versions) have been included in our permanent catalog, after being available on and off as a limited edition in the last 15 years. :dance013:

https://www.aceseeds.org/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=guawi&order=name&dir=desc

MIGreenman

First Guawi- short bushes and long stretchies!

First Guawi- short bushes and long stretchies!

I have five of these started and they are 5 weeks in flowering ATM.

There are a few that have stretched 5x and have the tiniest wispy bud formation for this far in flowering-

picture.php

Closer-

picture.php

Then, there are a few stout little bushes-

picture.php

Closer-

picture.php

The bushier phenos look nicely developed for their age, and the lanky ones may not be able to stay in the garden if they have too long flowering time and low production. Excited to try them all however long they take.

Please share your experiences with finishing times and potency of these two phenos. Do the shorter ones have a Tikal indica influence?

I will be cloning the mothers in another month before I have a chance to smoke them, so I am starting to make some decisions on which plants to move forward with. I have several cloned copies of each.

The bushier plants have a mild sour fruity smell and nothing yet on the taller ones. Cheers!

The Hatter

Veteran
MIGreenman, those plants are looking beautiful. It makes me want to pick up some more seeds now that they are back permanently.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi MIGreenman,

Glad to see you are already flowering 5 different Guawi females, it's always interesting to explore the diversity that outcrosses like this one have to offer so you can choose the phenos that work best in your environment and that are more suitable for your taste.

The tall long flowering phenos are Guatemala/Haze phenos of stronger sativa influence, they should start to pack weight from now onwards,
the compact one looks like a NL pheno with slight sativa influence as well.

Oddvar

Hi everyone! Here's My guawi.

8 weeks to 11/13 outdoors.
Receive bat guano with molasses once a week.

It smells like tropical fruit.

Fowers keep growing

How much longer could it take?

Thanks, great forum.

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_175929098.jpg
    IMG_20200324_175929098.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20200324_180522574.jpg
    IMG_20200324_180522574.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200321_180845137.jpg