Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Best thing I EVER added to my res...

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Best thing I EVER added to my res... Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 AM #11
Keep goin

Keep goin will become famous soon enoughKeep goin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaiden View Post
The specific information is that if there's carbon in there, once it's ad/absorbed compounds, it's done. However, it does also provide 'housing' for microbes, specifically Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter spp (you'll recognize those genus names if you're into soil science at all--they're your nitrifiers; i.e. they oxidize NH4 {ammonia} --> NO2 {nitrite} --> {nitrate} NO3).

Unfortunately, I am not...there is carbon within the filter. Although I was in the store today and noticed they sell a replacement bio bag with the carbon separate (you build it). Would you suggest the just rinse method you mentioned, or replacement without the carbon??

Now, that's the rub with the bio-bag, it's the condominium complex for your nitrifiers. See, they're benthic, meaning that they must live attached to surfaces (as opposed to free-floating, which are pretty much almost never good), so they need that housing. If you remove completely all that housing, you have to build up the populations of nitrifiers all over again. Why? There's no logical reason to do that, but there are plenty of logical reasons to rinse the carbon and replace or recharge it.

So, keep the carbon in?? and just rinse? You clearly have more of a handle on this than me...thanks for the tips!

Unless the manufacturer has somehow figured out how to keep that media inoculated with those species of bacteria, it makes zero sense to me to wait on rebuilding those populations, which in freshwater takes about 2 weeks for the whole cycle to complete.

This timing makes sense to me...that was about how long things looked a bit "washed out". Then they were off to the races!

Do you want an explanation on how this cycle goes? You're not running an aquarium, and I think you do want some readable NH4 in there, as it's what plants can utilize directly, IIRC. Not just the NO3.
Umm...^^Yes please!!

I'm always looking for info from those (like yourself) more knowledgeable than me!

I'm just trying to help others out (who need it)...never afraid to learn more myself...

Thanks in advance

KG

sweden...not sure about autopots? (not familiar with them) But I would guess that this would be useful to anyone running a reservoir system. If you have a standing reservoir, I would try it.
Keep goin is offline Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 04:58 AM #12
highonmt

highonmt is just really nicehighonmt is just really nicehighonmt is just really nicehighonmt is just really nicehighonmt is just really nicehighonmt is just really nicehighonmt is just really nicehighonmt is just really nice
Water

Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM #13
SeaMaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep goin View Post
Umm...^^Yes please!!

I'm always looking for info from those (like yourself) more knowledgeable than me!

I'm just trying to help others out (who need it)...never afraid to learn more myself...

Thanks in advance

KG

sweden...not sure about autopots? (not familiar with them) But I would guess that this would be useful to anyone running a reservoir system. If you have a standing reservoir, I would try it.
Please remember, I don't run a reservoir. What I'm discussing with you is based on my years in the aquatic ornamental trade--large volumes and numbers of fish and other aquatic animals, along with exotics--involving thousands upon thousands of gallons of systems.

So, if you can separate the carbon from the biological media, I would do that.

Carbon is generally considered to be a type of chemical filtration, because it is a molecular process by which it 'locks' onto compounds (adsorption or absorption). However, due to its highly porous nature, it does also provide homes for benthic nitrifiers. So, it seems to me that your goal should be twofold--provide suitable, constant housing for the microbes, while allowing the carbon to perform whatever chemical magic it's performing in your reservoir.

Separate them. Keep carbon rinsed until it's spent, keep bio-media and stop replacing it. If you do replace it, keep some of the old as an inoculant for the new. This can help shorten up the cycle.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:46 AM #14
Keep goin

Keep goin will become famous soon enoughKeep goin will become famous soon enough
Thanks SeaMaiden...

They do offer the carbon separate. The "bio-media" then just appears to be the surrounding bag/ mesh part of the system. Not sure how I would "keep some" to inoculate the new? It's just a one piece "drop in" style system. Perhaps just rinsing mid round, replace at end of round would work?

Also from what you are saying the carbon is "filtering" but also helping by housing the benthic nitrifiers you mentioned. So I'm not sure removing it would be ideal? What do you think? Does the carbon stop filtering after a week or so?? Then become beneficial?

I have just passed the 5 week mark...so replacement is called for. But I have not done it. I have not even rinsed it yet...all seems good. Deep green, no signs of deficiency, insane results.

I added one to my cloner...awesome!! Added another to my second res...from the start of the cycle. I've never seen such fantastic results.

I am interested in further technical info (for learning purposes)...but I would highly recommend this to anyone running a res of any kind. The results speak for themselves.

Thanks
KG

Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 AM #15
b8man

b8man is just really niceb8man is just really niceb8man is just really niceb8man is just really niceb8man is just really niceb8man is just really niceb8man is just really niceb8man is just really niceb8man is just really niceb8man is just really niceb8man is just really nice
I'll try this on the next grow - thanks for the tip Keep Goin.

Best additive for my tank so far is Drip Clean solution. But with blumats you want to keep the water clear so an extra filter should be beneficial.
b8man is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 AM #16
Crusader Rabbit

Crusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant future
Is this a filter that hangs on the side of the tank or is it submersible?

edit; Duh, I used the google and checked out their selection. All their filters hang from the side.
Crusader Rabbit is offline Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 AM #17
festerous

festerous is just really nicefesterous is just really nicefesterous is just really nicefesterous is just really nicefesterous is just really nicefesterous is just really nicefesterous is just really nicefesterous is just really nicefesterous is just really nice
I would not change anything. My point was no need to run carbon in the first place. Bio Balls or lava rocks work just fine.
festerous is offline Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM #18
SeaMaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep goin View Post
Thanks SeaMaiden...

They do offer the carbon separate. The "bio-media" then just appears to be the surrounding bag/ mesh part of the system. Not sure how I would "keep some" to inoculate the new? It's just a one piece "drop in" style system. Perhaps just rinsing mid round, replace at end of round would work?

Also from what you are saying the carbon is "filtering" but also helping by housing the benthic nitrifiers you mentioned. So I'm not sure removing it would be ideal? What do you think? Does the carbon stop filtering after a week or so?? Then become beneficial?

I have just passed the 5 week mark...so replacement is called for. But I have not done it. I have not even rinsed it yet...all seems good. Deep green, no signs of deficiency, insane results.

I added one to my cloner...awesome!! Added another to my second res...from the start of the cycle. I've never seen such fantastic results.

I am interested in further technical info (for learning purposes)...but I would highly recommend this to anyone running a res of any kind. The results speak for themselves.

Thanks
KG
How long the carbon lasts will be a function of what's in the water. In saltwater applications, for example, carbon doesn't last more than a week or two, because between the compounds of saltwater itself, the microbes and animal waste, sites get filled up very quickly.

Can you either post up a picture of this thing, or can you get into the bag itself? I would remove only part of the media. Although, based on what you're describing it seems that perhaps an equilibrium has been found.

I'm envisioning something like a paint strainer type of bag, filled with media and dropped into the res.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:10 AM #19
Keep goin

Hey...here is a link to the replacement bio bag part for the filter I'm running. https://https://www.tetra-fish.com/sit...l.aspx?id=4220

If I can run without the carbon...so be it. But so far so good, right out of the box.

The results are sick...highly recommended!

Yeah CrusaderR hangs right over the side...the bottom of the filter has a submersible pump within it. As long as you keep that underwater you're good. You have the option of hanging over the edge, which I'm doing in my 25 gal res. Or you can remove the hook and replace it with a second suction cup...that's the set up I'm using in my EZ cloner.

Good Luck
KG

Old 02-07-2013, 04:46 AM #20
Crusader Rabbit

Crusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant future
I have multiple reservoirs with ebb and flow tubs. The system lets me be gone for ten days while the water level drops. I'm trying to figure out how I could adapt this to my situation. I think I'd be best with a free pump at the bottom pushing water up through tubing to a filter hanging on the reservoir's rim. Seems that the cascading aerating waterfall effect is really important here.

I'm really glad you told us about this.
Crusader Rabbit is offline Quote