Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > 6-Benzylaminopurine (BAP) to Possibly Increase Budset and Productivity of Marijuana

Thread Title Search
6-Benzylaminopurine (BAP) to Possibly Increase Budset and Productivity of Marijuana Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-25-2011, 09:42 PM #11
blueberrydrumz

blueberrydrumz has a spectacular aura aboutblueberrydrumz has a spectacular aura aboutblueberrydrumz has a spectacular aura aboutblueberrydrumz has a spectacular aura aboutblueberrydrumz has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzlekush View Post
@mofeta i have tried and failed to find an online source to purchase any of the commercial BAP products. if you or anyone else can find a source for any of the commercial BAP mixes, id be greatly appreciative if you could share the source with us.
hi dizzle, why dont you get BAP of Ebay and mix it your self!! much easier and you know exactly whot your putting in/on your plants!!
blueberrydrumz is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 10:11 PM #12
dizzlekush

dizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydrumz View Post
hi dizzle, why dont you get BAP of Ebay and mix it your self!! much easier and you know exactly whot your putting in/on your plants!!
Quote:
The main reason I am looking at BAP over other cytokinins is due to its lack of storage requirements and its ability to stay active in solution for an extended amount of time. However BAP does need to be dissloved in a solvent such as KOH, NaOH, or possibly EtOH (as suggested by super-grow.biz) to be mixed properly with water. If anyone has some prior use with BAP or chemistry prowess, some advice on D.I.Y. stock solutions would be helpful
@blueberrydrumz i just might do that although the simplicity of pre-mixed solutions is so nice. But if im going to buy BAP, id want to buy it from a reputable source such as phytotechlabs.

Its actually even cheaper from Phytotech:
https://www.phytotechlab.com/detail.aspx?ID=141

The ebay source is from plantsandstuff.com so heres the options from plantsandstuff.com:
https://plantsandstuff.com/Products.html

the ebay option is a little more than double the price... they probably got their chemicals from Phytotech or Caymen or something and are just trying to make a few bucks being a useless middleman.
dizzlekush is offline Quote

Old 11-27-2011, 07:17 PM #13
netprophet

netprophet is a jewel in the roughnetprophet is a jewel in the roughnetprophet is a jewel in the roughnetprophet is a jewel in the roughnetprophet is a jewel in the roughnetprophet is a jewel in the rough
"BA treatments induced bisexual flowers"

could be the killer right there
netprophet is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:38 PM #14
dizzlekush

dizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the roughdizzlekush is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by netprophet View Post
"BA treatments induced bisexual flowers"

could be the killer right there
this is on a dioecious plant that was originally genetically male. In Cannabis sativa, cytokinins induce female flowering while gibberellins induce male flowering. Spraying BAP on a female marijuana plant will do nothing but induce more female flowers, not cause hermaphroditic characteristics. however spraying BAP on a male marijuana plant could cause hermaphroditic characteristics.

Quote:
When the shoots of young hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) plants were cut off the roots, cultured as cuttings, and regenerating (adventitious) roots were removed as soon as appearing, ca. 80-90% of the plants became male (had staminate flowers) whereas if the roots were allowed to develop a similar percent- age became female (pistillate flowers). Treatment of de-rooted cuttings with 6-benzylaminopurine (15 mg/ 1) restored the percent of female plants to ca. 80. It is suggested'that the root system plays an essential role in sex expression in hemp and that this role is related to cytokinin synthesis in the root.
One thing of interest though is all the pre-formulated BAP mixes that are around 1.9-2% all say to not spray within 84 days of harvest. after poring over toxicology info one more time i still cant find any reasoning for this 84 day restriction, nor can i find any regulation stating the 84 day requirement for consumable crops. anybody know anything about this?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The Role of Roots in Sex Expression in Hemp Plants.pdf (681.8 KB, 74 views)

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 PM #15
mofeta

mofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
@mofeta i have tried and failed to find an online source to purchase any of the commercial BAP products. if you or anyone else can find a source for any of the commercial BAP mixes, id be greatly appreciative if you could share the source with us.
Here is a link to buy Configure from J.R. Johnson (big greenhouse supply place).

Here is a good resource for you:

Greenhouse Product News

This is a very useful publication. Use the "PLANT GROWTH REGULATORS SEARCH" page and enter the name of the product you are interested in.

Select the "Product" search and enter "Configure", and check out the result. (I would post a link to the search result page, but it is a Javascript thing, so I can't.)

As you can see the main use of Configure in greenhouse crops is to increase branching. Is that what you are after?

Here is an article from GPNMag on the use of configure in Echinacea.

Quote:
BAP is used commercially to grow apples, pistachios, strawberries, melons and many other edibles in California.
Yeah, isn't it used as a thinning agent for these crops? Here is a link to a product used up in Canada for apples.

Quote:
And BAP is in toxicity category III, while all commercial formulations are in toxicity category II.
This is correct. Sorry for the misinformation, I was uncharacteristically careless in posting that. I'll be more careful in the future.
mofeta is offline Quote

Old 11-27-2011, 09:45 PM #16
mofeta

mofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
One thing of interest though is all the pre-formulated BAP mixes that are around 1.9-2% all say to not spray within 84 days of harvest. after pouring over toxicology info one more time i still cant find any reasoning for this 84 day restriction, nor can i find any regulation stating the 84 day requirement for consumable crops. anybody know anything about this?
It's called PHI (Pre-harvest interval). This is the amount of time it takes after application of the agent (at recommended amount) to fall to the accepted (by the EPA) residue level.

Here is a link to the relevant EPA website.

Here is a link to the EPA page on regulatory actions taken on acceptable residue levels over the years on BAP.
mofeta is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:51 PM #17
self
ready for whatever

self is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really nice
I've used BAP in a lanolin carrier to successfully induce pupping in trichocereus and myrtillocactus cacti. I know nothing of its use in cannabis, but I've had my eye out for this thread for a while. packing a pipe and pulling up a chair...

Old 11-27-2011, 10:04 PM #18
mofeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by self View Post
I've used BAP in a lanolin carrier to successfully induce pupping in trichocereus and myrtillocactus cacti. :
LOL! I wasn't going to mention that.

Are you the guy at EDOT that I had a discussion with on PGRs in Trichos about 5 years ago I wonder? Or was it at Corroboree/Shaman Australis?

Anyway, cheers mate! Gotta love the cacti!
mofeta is offline Quote

Old 11-27-2011, 10:14 PM #19
self
ready for whatever

self is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really niceself is just really nice
haha, more legal to do that than for most people to grow ganja! I love my cacti.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:32 PM #20
dizzlekush

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofeta View Post
Yeah, isn't it used as a thinning agent for these crops?
I know BAP can be used to 'thin' apples and pistachios. not sure about vine crops. and im not sure about the relationships between auxins/cytokinins/gibberellins in fruiting trees, but i can assure you that applications of BAP will not thin budding marijuana plants. furthermore i have a study that shows out of all the orchard fruit thinning chemicals (ethephon, ammonium thiosulphate, NAA, NAAm, carbaryl, phenylureas CPPU, thidiazuron, and BAP) BAP has the least thinning effect and the highest yield increase (this is thought to be from BAPs antagonism on gibberellins, which inhibit flowering in apples and marijuana both, and is produced from seeds in apples)

Quote:
The recognition of cytokinins as potent fruit thinning agents for apple is relatively new [71], including such synthetic chemicals as the N6-substituted purine benzyladenine (BA), and the phenylureas CPPU and thidiazuron [28]. The thinning effect of BA always results also in enhanced return bloom [4, 8, 9, 11, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 32, 33, 49, 75]. The relation- ship between number of fruits removed and flowering can be close [8, 29] and in proportion to the concentration of BA applied [20]. Apart from supraoptimal concentrations, BA did not increase flower initiation beyond a level that could not be explained solely based on the degree of fruit removal [29]. Seed number is probably important in explaining the effect of BA on return bloom. In a few BA trials on ‘Delicious’ apples BA clearly reduced seed number and covariance ana- lyses showed that all variation in return bloom could be explained exclusively by seed number [32]. It has been suggested that, based on the view that flower- bud formation depends on an interaction between GAs and cytokinins, the promotion of flowering by BA is due to nullifying the inhibitive effect of GAs coming from the seeds [51]. This reasoning is supported by the observation that when all flowers were removed, BA had no effect on return bloom [51]. In thinning apples by BA there is little evidence for a additional direct stimulation of return bloom. The concentration of BA used in chemical thinning usually is too low to have an effect on shoot growth [29]. At higher BA concentrations lateral branching may be enhanced [20, 21, 31]. This may lead to fewer flowers than expected when potential flower buds grow out into lateral shoots that remain vegetative [31], but, in contrast, promotion of bloom has been found to occur as well [20, 21, 29].
In a comparison of the three synthetic cytokinins CPPU, thidiazuron and BA, BA thinned least [28]. However, unlike BA, CPPU and thidiazuron both reduced return bloom, which has been confirmed in other studies with apple [18, 21, 27, 30]. Obviously, any positive effect of fruit removal on flower-bud formation was completely overcome by the inhibitory effect of the two phenylureas. Phenylurea is not a N6-substituted purine as zeatin and zeatin riboside (the most widespread occurring natural cytokinins) and BA. This might suggest that the N6-substitution is essential for flowering promotion [27], but, as mentioned in the foregoing, in thinning experiments a direct effect of BA on return bloom has not been shown
alright now lets get back on the topic of BAPs potential for increasing marijuana production.