What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for feedback on this idea to pay for ICMAG to stay here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Hello to all you home hobby horticulturalists out there!

....For those that love ICMAG.COM and want to see it continue to GROW as the BEST growers forums on this here internet....

This has been a free site since day one.....and I would kinda like to keep it that way for a while so that all can share and learn from the information here-in.

1. The Problem:.....This site has grown expotentially over the last 4 years so the server/bandwidth bills have increased accordingly......To attempt a good, interesting and forward moving on-going upgrading of the site it is going to cost an arm and a leg thru a trusted webmaster.....

2. Other concerns:......Advertising revenue from those interested to advertise is not an easy way of raising funds to pay the server bills because many of those that wish to advertise on this site have links that go to website servers that are not in countries that we feel comfortable about linking our membership to due to obvious security concerns.....

....Now I have an idea...hmmmm...and I would like some feedback on the pro's and con's of it from anyone that can understand the situation and can comment sensibly on this idea....

<<<<<.....Do you think that it would be OK if we ask YOU (the membership) to support this site by donating seeds that we could then auction off as a sort of voluntary subscription to help pay the server bills?.......>>>>>>

If you can see the sense in this idea, what would be the best way to market it?

If you think the idea has no merit......then let me know why.....

......I am sure that there will be many replies perhaps for and against this concept........please keep it civil......

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if not seeds, than maybe a subscription fee.
i would gladly pay (if reasonable price) to stay here.
this place is great! :respect:

plus, it would keep non contributing members and trolls away

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
...well man.....I am loath to ask for money.......feels like I'm begging or something..........would be nicer to pay for the site with beans from the membership........

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
imho that is a good idea Gypsy; you can also make a voluntary membership fee too, like in OG. and give options, since some people would like to contribute but perhaps they are micro-growers and can´t make seeds but they would be willing to pay for a life-time membership a la OG, while those without money but who can make seeds would be able to send seeds to contribute with.

much good luck,

Peace!

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
why not have it both ways and if we go with a subscribes lounge
part of the subscription package includes a free pack of seeds

TBug

Plz forget you know me...Sugaree
Veteran
High Gypsy! I think the seed thing would be really fun. It could be like,.... "dude I just grew out a pack of TBugs seeds, they turned out pretty cool for $10!" and I be able to say "glad you liked em, I enjoyed watching you grow them out". Certainly more fun than ponying up $10 and that being the end of it.
Thats my 2 pennies anyway, bugout:Bolt:

PS I hae Q for you, though. So check your PMs in a bit. Thanks for everything Gypsy!

Last edited:

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
the time has come... dun dun dun duuuuun.. Man i been dreading this moment..
Cos i for one cant afford an xtra bill to my already broke ass. Im sure people are goin to give me crap. But, i havent purchased any seeds simply cos i cant afford them. I have to rely on gifter friends of mine to get some seeds. Also would a lifetime membership be a one time only fee of like say 40 bux? I know im reaching here.. Also the seed donation is that one time only or like every month? How would this work? Man this is going to suck for me.. oh well.. peace..

edit: Maybe you can use another MOD to only be on the lookout for threads that need to be shitcanned... Like yummy's specialK's black velvet, etc.. Threads that make no sense such as what kind of shavers do you use? Or both my balls are hairy but one has 2 more hairs than the other wat shall i do>?>? that would help save bandwidth also, if the person startin these ridiculous threads dont like it maybe they will go write their awesome poetry else where.. That would help get rid of the ass clowns..Just a thought..

sack

Last edited:

RED145

You come up with a number,the one it takes to run this site monthly,we will call that our goal!!You make a donations button with goal included,donating will get you into the monthly seed give away.......that way broke fucks like Sack :wave: can stay,people have a reason to donate and a visual aid to remind!!And a chance to win some Killer Beans :headbange

P.S.....I think my idea is a good one!!

Or both my balls are hairy but one has 2 more hairs than the other wat shall i do>?>?

LOL....like tiny tea leaves.......you Pluck em!!!

Last edited:
G

RED145 said:
You come up with a number,the one it takes to run this site monthly,we will call that our goal!!You make a donations button with goal included,donating will get you into the monthly seed give away.......that way broke fucks like Sack :wave: can stay,people have a reason to donate and a visual aid to remind!!And a chance to win some Killer Beans :headbange

P.S.....I think my idea is a good one!!

That sounds like a good one.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sacko, i already told gypsy i'd be his head cracking mod for him.
weed out (no pun intended :D) the undesirables

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
either or. if i had the facilities to make beans i totally would, or if someone would send me some pollen i would gladly make some beans for the community, i just dont have room for males. but i would love to grow some beans. i also would not be opposed to a membership donation. ill help out anyway i can.

Endo

Edit: cocktail frank smells funny (catch me if you can!!!) :bashhead: :spank:

Last edited:

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
endo,
i will catch you 2 days before the day after tomorrow.
watch your backside, im bringing bignugget w/ me!!!

zaazoo

man, i just joined here i hope i dont have to pay already
isnt buying your seeds enough? i just spent over 200 dollars

if you charge to see the site then you wont seel many seeds i think
i cant afford to pay and i dont greed seeds

i dont think this is a good idea cuz alto people dont want to have to be associated with sending money just so they can see a website to spend their money , if you know what i mean ya know?

i dont really want to leave here cuz i read all the time

zAazOo

Last edited:
Hey Gypsy! Thanks for your quick response this a.m......ya know you can count me in!
I for one think it's a great idea, as long as the auctions leave nobody 'geneless' so to say. I also think you'ld need to somewhat validate the cultivators ability though, as well. Nobody should PAY for beans that are not at the least 'respectable'.

Zazoo: I've got more than enough to cover your admission;)

Last edited:

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
no one wil be forced to pay
there will be a package simmilar to OG's subscription system but the main forums will be free

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
I like the idea of a seed raffle as posted above.

Those that can participate will and everybody reaps the benefits.

TBug

Plz forget you know me...Sugaree
Veteran
High ALL! I think some of ya' are missing the point of "donate" and "auction". If a guy like...oh say... THE POSTMAN(more known than I) sends Gypsy 100 of his Power-Deisel and they bring $60-$70 a pack(Thats what I would pay) then Everbody is happy and the site gets $600. Postman has no need for 2000+ seeds nor do I or many others. Some no-name guy who has one thread documenting one run of his seeds of whatever cross may only get $10 a pack. but hey, thats still $100 for the site. And if it a cross with some decent backround in it, to me its worth a shot to expirement with something new. Its like Gump's box of choclates..."Ya' never know what you're gonna' get". I for one think it would be really fun, and add a whole new twist to an already enjoyable hobby.
Peace, Bugout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts