What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You know you live in the country if......

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You know you live in the country if.......

You know you live in the country if.......

you've had any Bigfoot sightings

aaff8838_zpsfti7u0ok.jpg

MicroRoy

I love the country because of how quiet it is I can actually see the stars at night.

I put a switch on my yard light so I can turn it off at night.
Then I go up on the hill and sit with the cows and if I am lucky I see an owl catch a field mouse.

cannawolf

When you have eggs, cheese, honey, fruit juice..all that good stuff for breaksfast...and the only thing you need to do is go outside and work a bit.... nowadays i live in town, but dang i miss the countryside... stars all over the sky during new moon....smell of cow poo and horse poo pig poo chicken poo...water is there, you can swim in the stream and nobody will show up, and even if they show up you know them anyways...you never worry about who is coming to visit you, you always have time enough to see who is coming... I am definetely not a farm boy anymore, i live in the cities for so long now that all this only live in memory, but damn i miss this life...

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you can look up at night and see stars everywhere and not an orange glow... It has been a long time.

There is a whole generation of people who have never seen an actual star in the sky in their lives...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
shit I am back in the city...th timer is going before I need to get TGTFO..back to black for me...yeehaw.most of you will soon get milked dry like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's a hearst cow too..plangtt tags,,tiny limits,25 percent tax, and ya ya ya ya ...not happening in my stream ever...kiss it..

St. Phatty

A hawk attacks one of your chickens and it saves its own life by crawling into a rat-trap.

Happened yesterday afternoon. I was re-loading when I heard a huge ruckus. Ran outdoors to find the chicken in the trap, and a hawk just flying away. Feathers all over the place, missing from the chicken's belly. You can see the hawk was going for the "kill shot" - trying to rip open the chicken's belly.

Next stop, 20 gauge shotgun and/or a rooster. I had seen the hawk sitting in a tree about 20 feet off the ground. I guess that was a warning sign that more experienced country people would not ignore. Normally they sit much higher.

On Second Thought ... another living in the country kind of thing ... if you're sitting in the acre below your front yard, with a lower power 30 caliber on a tripod set for a stand up height, waiting for a hawk to get too close ... with a mountain as the back-drop (so you're firing towards the mountain) ... you probably live in the country.

If I fire in the other direction, it's shooting in the general direction of neighbors 250 yards away ... so I would have to use a shotgun.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
As much as I can sympathize, please dont shoot any hawks.
Try an owl decoy first. I'm assuming your hens are free range. Set it up overlooking the main area where your hens hang during the day where the hawk will see it.
A big spurred rooster is good for protection but often the rooster will get killed because they will fight the hawk. Then you will need to get a new one.

A hawk attacks one of your chickens and it saves its own life by crawling into a rat-trap.

Happened yesterday afternoon. I was re-loading when I heard a huge ruckus. Ran outdoors to find the chicken in the trap, and a hawk just flying away. Feathers all over the place, missing from the chicken's belly. You can see the hawk was going for the "kill shot" - trying to rip open the chicken's belly.

Next stop, 20 gauge shotgun and/or a rooster. I had seen the hawk sitting in a tree about 20 feet off the ground. I guess that was a warning sign that more experienced country people would not ignore. Normally they sit much higher.

On Second Thought ... another living in the country kind of thing ... if you're sitting in the acre below your front yard, with a lower power 30 caliber on a tripod set for a stand up height, waiting for a hawk to get too close ... with a mountain as the back-drop (so you're firing towards the mountain) ... you probably live in the country.

If I fire in the other direction, it's shooting in the general direction of neighbors 250 yards away ... so I would have to use a shotgun.

MicroRoy

You know you live in the country.

When you leave a spot in your yard for the dogs roadkill collection.

I called dibbs on all the turtle shells.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Last summer I found a flat mummified toad in the road. It was toad jerky. Baked in the sun and as thin as a flat road toad could get.
I brought it inside and forgot about it. Then I smelled something one day.
Road toad had turned into mold toad.

St. Phatty

Last summer I found a flat mummified toad in the road. It was toad jerky. Baked in the sun and as thin as a flat road toad could get.
I brought it inside and forgot about it. Then I smelled something one day.
Road toad had turned into mold toad.

It's halfway there.

Sounds like it needs to be dried out and maybe driven over again.

I would dip it in soy sauce, then roll it in sesame seeds, maybe with a little side order of wasabi green radish, and take it to a party.

After 3 shots of Techila people will start eating it.

Nothing like Toad Jerky. :woohoo:

Coba

Veteran
i just threw up a little in my mouth thinking about Ahab's toad... St Phatty that's a real country story about that chicken hawk.

You know you live in the country if... your chicken coop/hen house is more like a dinner vending machine for the local wildlife.

Latest posts

Latest posts