What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anything outdoors 2019 !!!

Figured I'd ask this in here since I know there's a few of you in this thread who have done this at least a few times and most of ya'll are outdoor & organic growers.

As the plant gets into flowering is it normal for the oldest fan leaves to start to yellow and dry out & eventually drop? Or is this a sign of a deficiency somewhere?

The entire plant appears healthy, but the oldest/largest fan leaves, and mostly those along the lower/inner portion of the plant, are starting to yellow & drop.

This happened to my plants last year as well and they turned out pretty darn alright...just wondering if this is something that plants typically do?

Looks similar to an N deficiency to me, but it only occurs in the old/large fan leaves and it never moves up the plant/through out all the leaves.

St. Phatty

Looks similar to an N deficiency to me, but it only occurs in the old/large fan leaves and it never moves up the plant/through out all the leaves.

Totally normal.

Almost every grower here has yellow leaves on their flowering plants.

I use more Nitrogen in flowering that I used to. I used to think that you had to give the plant Phosphorus & Potassium in flowering, because that's what it said on the General Hydro bottle.

But then I saw the amount of blood meal (with Nitrogen) that growers like BOG were using.

I have bone meal in my soil (for Phosphorus) and am supplementing using 0-11-0 Seabird Guano (also for Phosphorus).

But I also give them Nitrogen (human urine) and Potassium (wood ash) in their feeding, and chicken manure (NP&K).

Even with extra Nitrogen during flowering, I still have a few beautiful yellow leaves, but mostly nice green & blue green leaves.

The petiole (where the leave attaches to the stem) weakens naturally and the leaf falls off. I figure nature has the routine down pretty good so I don't mess with the yellow leaves, just let them fall off on their own time.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Looking good guys, ....Man I've got a few heaters outdoors, this Lemon Dizzle is crazy. I've got several good strains outdoors in my containers that's gonna be good harvest soon. I'd love to wait 2 wks but probably be before

PDX Dopesmoker

This is my male plants, 7 of 8 of them are now clean of flowers.
0PZEMeU.jpg

Two of the males are starting to get enough resin on the flowers that it makes picking them off the plant into a sticky situation.

I think that's a good sign just keep her moist and let her fade.
Totally normal.

Almost every grower here has yellow leaves on their flowering plants.

I use more Nitrogen in flowering that I used to. I used to think that you had to give the plant Phosphorus & Potassium in flowering, because that's what it said on the General Hydro bottle.

But then I saw the amount of blood meal (with Nitrogen) that growers like BOG were using.

I have bone meal in my soil (for Phosphorus) and am supplementing using 0-11-0 Seabird Guano (also for Phosphorus).

But I also give them Nitrogen (human urine) and Potassium (wood ash) in their feeding, and chicken manure (NP&K).

Even with extra Nitrogen during flowering, I still have a few beautiful yellow leaves, but mostly nice green & blue green leaves.

The petiole (where the leave attaches to the stem) weakens naturally and the leaf falls off. I figure nature has the routine down pretty good so I don't mess with the yellow leaves, just let them fall off on their own time.

Thanks for your words...I appreciate it.

I kinda figured it's what the plants do naturally. With these leaves being ate up by the plant and eventually dropping, there will be more direct sun exposure on some of the buds too.

We had our first relatively "cool nights" of the season a few days ago, got down into the upper 50s (about 10 to 15 degrees cooler at night than it has been all summer)...I don't know if the cold has anything to do with it or if it's just coincidence, but pretty much over night after those cool nights all of my plants started to show some yellow leaves, a few of them with nips of purple around the edges...I'm assuming the purple is just from the genetics of the strain and purple pigment developing after a cool night, and not a sign of deficiency. The purple colors are found on the edges of the yellowing leaves and the healthy green leaves.

I was using fish emulsion and my urine at points through out veg for N, I cut back on that around the beginning of Aug.

They've recieved a top dressing of fish bone meal, bone meal, alfalfa, and kelp a few times since the beginning of Aug.

I've been giving them mostly just water over the past 2 weeks. I'll likely mix in a tiny bit of fish emulsion and/or urine during their next watering, the different plants/strains I'm growing still have at least 3 to 5 weeks.

And they'll also get one more tea/top dressing of bone meal & kelp and some lacto-B within the next 10 days or so.

Rodehazrd

Thanks for your words...I appreciate it.

I kinda figured it's what the plants do naturally. With these leaves being ate up by the plant and eventually dropping, there will be more direct sun exposure on some of the buds too.

We had our first relatively "cool nights" of the season a few days ago, got down into the upper 50s (about 10 to 15 degrees cooler at night than it has been all summer)...I don't know if the cold has anything to do with it or if it's just coincidence, but pretty much over night after those cool nights all of my plants started to show some yellow leaves, a few of them with nips of purple around the edges...I'm assuming the purple is just from the genetics of the strain and purple pigment developing after a cool night, and not a sign of deficiency. The purple colors are found on the edges of the yellowing leaves and the healthy green leaves.

I was using fish emulsion and my urine at points through out veg for N, I cut back on that around the beginning of Aug.

They've recieved a top dressing of fish bone meal, bone meal, alfalfa, and kelp a few times since the beginning of Aug.

I've been giving them mostly just water over the past 2 weeks. I'll likely mix in a tiny bit of fish emulsion and/or urine during their next watering, the different plants/strains I'm growing still have at least 3 to 5 weeks.

And they'll also get one more tea/top dressing of bone meal & kelp and some lacto-B within the next 10 days or so.

The cool does help with the nice colors. I use a lot of fish hydrolysate indoors in veg and early flower. I find N is released long after I quit adding it. I do add some Azos bacteria early too. I would suggest you just go with some humate water and some enzymes till you chop. Feeding now may be a waste of money unless you have a long standing strain. :tiphat:

PDX Dopesmoker

This is Platinum GSC x Jagerschnizel, its the earlier starting regular strain I got this year, it'll have 10 weeks on it by the end of September. Its extremely odoriferous as well, has been loud for weeks already, smells something like concord grape, really got me looking forward to the finished product.
XLNGGXI.jpg

I got a 9th male too, got enough dudes for a baseball team now and they're all completely clean of pollen.
FUOrBjk.jpg

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
So I guess it's supposed to drop down to 48 tonight here and we might even get as low as 46 on Monday. Is there anything I can do for my outdoor plants to help? They are rooted in the earth so cannot come inside, but aren't nearly close enough to flower to do an early harvest.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Damn it kinda had a cool spell about a mth ago. But its been blazing hot sunny!!!! around here. I hope it last another mth. before it cools down. But it'll dip down toward my way sooner or later

'Boogieman'

So I guess it's supposed to drop down to 48 tonight here and we might even get as low as 46 on Monday. Is there anything I can do for my outdoor plants to help? They are rooted in the earth so cannot come inside, but aren't nearly close enough to flower to do an early harvest.

Don't worry unless a frost is coming. Most hybrids today have hash plant in the mix. In the middle east, especially up in the mountains it's warm during the day but quite cold at night.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
This is my male plants, 7 of 8 of them are now clean of flowers.
View Image
Two of the males are starting to get enough resin on the flowers that it makes picking them off the plant into a sticky situation.

My Tha Melon male has threw all the dust he's got. I tried to hit the Melon fem to make a few f2s!!! I also hit my Blueberry, and Lemon Dizzle but I'm afraid they were already to old to pollinate. That's my pollen chucking for the season. I've never ran the ones from last year I made. But I had a really small peyote Gorilla/Seedsman that I set beside The Melon. So there's gonna a great chance for seeds on that cross. It's not that big a deal, but a few of those crosses sound nice

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
It's supposed to rain here Monday only and I'm 3 weeks away from harvest, should I worry or is that plenty of time to dry out without getting bud rot?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Local Hemp Fields Part 1

Local Hemp Fields Part 1

The smell is definitely different. Just a tiny bit skunky, barely sticky, but oily for sure.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

PDX Dopesmoker

The Jagerschnizel bud.

View Image

My runt plant turned out to be female. She's now about a year old.

AND she is pollinated by a normal male.

I won't know exactly how similar it is to Jager until it's dry and has some cure on it, I've never grown out the real thing, but I've smoked plenty of it. It sure smells like it could end up in that direction.

My Tha Melon male has threw all the dust he's got. I tried to hit the Melon fem to make a few f2s!!! I also hit my Blueberry, and Lemon Dizzle but I'm afraid they were already to old to pollinate. That's my pollen chucking for the season. I've never ran the ones from last year I made. But I had a really small peyote Gorilla/Seedsman that I set beside The Melon. So there's gonna a great chance for seeds on that cross. It's not that big a deal, but a few of those crosses sound nice

That sounds like a nice seed collection you're making, there should be all sorts of neat flavors in those, sounds like you did some nice pollen chucking. I'm trying to chuck a variety of pollen accurately without missing too much and its a little out of hand, but I'll make use of any of the accidental seed I make, probably use some in that strip mall parking lot landscaping, thats a good spot.

This is a South African bagseed male with almost all the flower removed. The person who sent them across told me they seed were Swazi and also complained about cannabis causing paranoia so I'm hoping for good results from this dude's children.
RBtOjEu.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts