What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

when do male autos drop there first pollen

My question is for breeding, in the past i left a fem n a male next to each other untill day 30 and they had both been flowering for only ten ish days, i didnt get a single seed, i was wondering when if left alone you can expect pollination taking place, id like to let a male pollinate all my girls of various genes without having the bud go to total seed, the goal of say a few hundred seeds off ten plus plants. DO u leave the males next to the girls up to like day 45?

uptosumpn

Veteran
My question is for breeding, in the past i left a fem n a male next to each other untill day 30 and they had both been flowering for only ten ish days, i didnt get a single seed, i was wondering when if left alone you can expect pollination taking place, id like to let a male pollinate all my girls of various genes without having the bud go to total seed, the goal of say a few hundred seeds off ten plus plants. DO u leave the males next to the girls up to like day 45?
Okay, lemmie see if I can help ya out.....
FIRST, what you are wanting is impossible...let me explain;

If you leave a male in with your girls you can make seeds.....BUT you have just created 2 problems with what you are tryin to accomplish....

1.If you leave a male in with all your girls there is NO WAY you will have a partial seeded female...(wherever the pollen goes, the pollen goes!!! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CONTROL WHERE THE SEEDS WILL BE!!) Doing it that way will give you a fully seeded plant...not hundreds, but thousands!!!!

2. I assume you know males drop pollen around 2wks before females are ready to accept/take it...<if this is done to soon, (pollination) then you will not get seeds....as in your case....

3. you can get hundreds of seeds off of 1 plant by just pollinating most of the lower branches....<That Is The Only Way your gonna get what you want...."a partial seeded female"

4.The best advice i can give ya is if you MUST leave a male plant in with all your diff girls, then be prepared for fully seeded plants....To accomplish what you want, you are going to have to isolate your males,(you can combine pollen from more than one male too! <this will give you the best traits from both) collect his pollen, (@ around wk 3-4. Shake the plant over a small mirror/glass, use a razor blade to scrape it into a pile...carefully remove the flowers from the pile..they contain moisture....put harvested pollen in a glass jar with some dry rice, keep in a cool, dry place) THEN when your females are ready,(around wk 4-6<depends on if your gonna let her go 10wks) use a mini artise paint brush or a q-tip and brush pollen on where you want the seeds to grow! Trust me bro it's easy!!!

This is the ONLY WAY you will get want you want......hundreds of seeds on each girl AND will have seedless buds still!

hope this helps...JMO. Peace....

thx for that, i was under the impression that if a male was left in a room of very early budding females, that the buds hairs that were formed would catch the pollen n make seeds, and all the buds yet to grow would be seedless as buy the time they grew u would have removed the male anyways? your way sounds best, ive yet to grow seeds.

dargo

thx for that, i was under the impression that if a male was left in a room of very early budding females, that the buds hairs that were formed would catch the pollen n make seeds, and all the buds yet to grow would be seedless as buy the time they grew u would have removed the male anyways? your way sounds best, ive yet to grow seeds.

That will work, however your girl will then put most of her energy into growing the beans and not big fat stinky plants so end results wont be as good as a partial pollenation on a lower branch or 2. wait aslong as you can, let her grow plenty of hairs, then pollenate only a few at her base

SirChiko

I wanted to put 1 male and 1 female together that were platned on same day, would it work? I want to pollinate whole plant.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SirChiko - it will work but you won't get the optimum amount of seeds that way.

The males 9/10 will show sex before the girls will, some girls can show a week later.

That puts the males ahead with flowering, so when your males are ready to drop their pollen the females don't have the most amount of pistils that they could have given another few weeks (more pistils = more seeds for you)

If you want to use a male and female from a batch planted on the same day, it is best to delay the male - topping works- I keep my males in the dark for a week (with some light) but just to slow their development.

Alternatively take the males to a different location (if you have one) and collect the pollen - then apply when your girls are ready.

hope that helps?
mc

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just put your male in another space or move it as close to the exhaust and/or filter to try and suck out as much pollen as possible and at say week 5 move them around so the pollen gets sucked through the female and then into the filter.

I have pushed a 8 week masterlow to go 13 weeks because I got a nice male and had to do something with him.

Goodluck

S_a_H

isnt there anybody whos left males n fem together for a just a few weeks and ended up with a few hundred seeds? i mean whats the window of this happening if it exist, i read a diseal ryder grow were the males were taken out quite early and they still got about 50 seeds, im probally gonna isolate my girls but just curious to have the knowledge incase i do a outdoor this summer, is day 45 to long?. thx for the shared wisdom one n all-

Psycho Paul

So you dont even know how to pollenate or when pollen drops yet you're going around telling me and everybody else that Autos are the most efficient?

Wow. Look at you, a wealth of knowledge. A natural guru!

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It all depends on the strain of course. But when the pistils get hit with pollen the plant kinda switches gears like when it goes from veg to flower. When it starts growing seeds so early the bud sets don't really have a chance to get to big.

Sure you'll get new pistil growth after the first sets are pollenated but once again it reduces flower structure. So in the end you just get less seeds plus you'll end up with a nice % of shitty unusable seeds. So instead of putting the whole plants engine to growing and maturing the seeds you'll never use I pull my male after a week and count from there 30 days.

S_a_H

So you dont even know how to pollenate or when pollen drops yet you're going around telling me and everybody else that Autos are the most efficient?

Wow. Look at you, a wealth of knowledge. A natural guru!

why do people stalk me on this site? u just made my ignore list paul, tired of you worshipping every word i write bu bye :tiphat::moon:

thx s a h, that really cleared it up for me and now i have the knowlegde i needed. but one more question, autos flower at roughtly 3 weeks which as uknow is 21 days, so thirty days from that is day 50, and they get chopped at day 70, is 20 days enough for seed development?

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so thirty days from that is day 50, and they get chopped at day 70, is 20 days enough for seed development?

30+50=80

One thing I really haven't bothered to see yet is if the seeds finish faster on what light schedule.

S_a_H

SirChiko

mitch_connor: Okay, thanks a lot :), so i think that i will collect male's pollen into some sack and then ill apply it to the female, thanks once more :).

Latest posts

Latest posts