What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

U.S. Attorney Breaks Silence on Medical-Marijuana

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As a patient in California news like this is quite disturbing as it just confuses the hell out of the sick and suffering even more of whether they are legal and safe in growing their medicine. Extremist and in-consistent press releases and statements from our government leave even the one plant grower wondering if they are being looked upon as breaking the law-even though our State has approved what they are doing. I hope all the agencies involved will provide us with something soon that will convince and assure us we won’t be prosecuted for trying to improve our quality of life. Peace Brothers…DD

From USNewsReview http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/u-s-attorney-breaks-silence-on/content?oid=5379500
Details from last week’s Benjamin Wagner chat with press and pot advocates:
By David Downs
3-08-2012
Medical-cannabis patients and providers should expect ongoing persecution in California. However, media backlash due to the nearly half-year-old federal crackdown is affecting at least one prominent drug warrior: United States Attorney for the Eastern District of California Benjamin Wagner.
Wagner broke the Department of Justice’s near silence with regard to the crackdown during a candid, hour-long talk and question-and-answer session last Tuesday at a Sacramento Press Club luncheon. The $30-a-plate affair took place on the 15th floor of 1201 K Street, and inside, Wagner admitted that the cannabis cleanup was the idea of the four U.S. Attorneys in California, not Washington, D.C.
The four were upset because of what Wagner called “flagrant” marijuana sales in the state. So they declared war on medical marijuana last October, sending out hundreds of forfeiture-warning letters to dispensaries across California. His office is in the process of seizing at least one dispensary in Sacramento, while officials have closed more or less every dispensary in Sacramento County.
He reiterated that they’re not going after patients and caregivers, rather interstate transporters, huge pot farmers and illicit dispensaries grossing tens of thousands of dollars per day in cash.
But the media critique of the war is wearing on Wagner, it seems. He said he counts on good press to create a “deterrent effect” in regard to cases of mortgage fraud, child exploitation, human trafficking and major gang violence. But he’s not getting any of that.
“I think that the members of the press would be forgiven for thinking that marijuana enforcement is all that we do,” he said. “It is far from the most important thing that we do. I have many other higher priorities that have a much bigger impact on public safety. I did not seek the position of U.S. attorney in order to launch a campaign against medical marijuana.”
Wagner was appointed by President Barack Obama in 2009 and has been with the DOJ since 1992, primarily in the Eastern District. When he and the other three U.S. attorneys took office at the end of 2009, “We found that we were in the middle of an explosion of marijuana cultivation and sales,” he said.
Federal policy didn’t change, rather “what we saw … was an unregulated free-for-all in California in which huge amounts of money was being made selling marijuana … to virtually anybody who wanted to get stoned.”
Wagner said that’s not what California voters approved. Stores marking up pot 200 percent is “not about sick people. That’s about money.”
His reaction has been “quite measured,” he said. Most dispensaries just got warning letters.
“In a few instances, after ample warnings, we’ve brought civil-enforcement actions while reserving criminal prosecution for the most flagrant violators of not only federal law but state law,” he said.
He referred to cases such as one where seven Roseville and Fresno suspects were indicted in February for growing pot with doctor’s recommendations and running a dispensary as a front to traffic it to seven states in the Midwest and South.
Wagner also warned that a season of raids in the Central Valley is coming in 2012, and that mega pot farmers are on notice that if they plant again this year, their land could be seized.
He tried to make the case that pot is just a fraction of what his office does, referring to 61 indictments on mortgage fraud last fiscal year.
During audience questions, activists asked why the federal government says marijuana has “no medical use,” yet the United States has patented its ingredient, cannabidiol, for treating strokes.
“What I know about marijuana as medicine you can probably put in a thimble,” he said.
But health policy is not his job, he said. “My advice to you is to write your congressman.”
Sacramento lawyer Alan Donato asked for guidelines for local dispensaries to avoid federal attention.
“I’m not in a position to be of much comfort,” Wagner said. “You don’t ask the CHP, ‘How many miles over the speed limit can I go before you pull me over?'”
Stephen Downing, a retired Los Angeles Police Department deputy chief and member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, asked if the failed drug war would ever make Wagner say “Enough is enough” to his boss, Attorney General Eric Holder.
“That’s hard to say,” Wagner said. “I totally understand the debate over legalization as opposed to criminalizing narcotics.
“It really depends on what the cost-benefits are. Marijuana is obviously not nearly as destructive as [methamphetamine]. The risks in legalizing marijuana may be significantly less that meth.”
But prescription drugs “are the biggest, worst drug problem in terms of trends … [and] that’s a legal drug.”
SN&R news intern Matthew W. Urner got the biggest attention of the lunch, asking Wagner if he ever tried the second-most-commonly used mind-altering substance in America, and if so, what he thought.

“Uh,” said Wagner, “I’ll say that I went to college.”

Last edited:

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is a war alright, but it's not the war on drugs... it's US waging a war on ignorance.

G

Goodkarma

SN&R

SN&R

You have to click on the link though to see Wagners response to the question of whether he ever smoked.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
GK many thanks for pointing ^ that out ^, I've edited the post, DD
"“Uh,” said Wagner, “I’ll say that I went to college.”

Interesting. So how would Ron Paul stop this (He can't) or better yet what did Obama have to do with it (He Didn't). Moral being it's the machine not the mascot.

G

Guest 88950

Wagner said:
“I think that the members of the press would be forgiven for thinking that marijuana enforcement is all that we do,” he said. “It is far from the most important thing that we do. I have many other higher priorities that have a much bigger impact on public safety. I did not seek the position of U.S. attorney in order to launch a campaign against medical marijuana.”

Actions speak louder than words…………..propaganda is his tune!

Wagner said:
…Federal policy didn’t change….“what we saw … huge amounts of money was being made … Stores marking up pot 200 percent…

Its all about the $$$

Wagner said:
“It really depends on what the cost-benefits are. Marijuana is obviously not nearly as destructive as [methamphetamine]. The risks in legalizing marijuana may be significantly less that meth.”
But prescription drugs “are the biggest, worst drug problem in terms of trends … [and] that’s a legal drug.”....

So in order to keep some from illegally sending cannabis out of state they will go after large scale farmers and shut down dispensaries.

With that mentality shouldn’t they shut down Pfizer, GSK, or /and the regional distributors of the most abused prescription drug’s.

The insane profits made by the pharmaceutical co’s should be motivation to seize assets.

Fair is Fair…………………oh wait, what the hell was I thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gooey

fuckin a man, everyone knows cannabis is not a problem, shoot even this guy alludes to it in saying he dint take this job to go after emd patients...the govs own hypocrisy is loud and creates a disrespect for other laws, i wonder when they will figure it out, o wait they cant cuzz a bunch of dea would be out of work...how sad, fuck em and the horse they rode in on...makes me laugh when people try and make plants illigal...heheheh especially religius types, even more funny...o well thanks for sharing

Lowman

I'm not in Cali...so I don't know the medical law there....but I say fuck the dispensaries. Grow your own or have a legal caregiver. Thats how we do it in Michigan. I'm all for shutting down the money thieves in the dispensaries. They don't care about the people that need it...they care about the bottom line.

G

guest8905

central valley be careful, i wouldnt call these guys bluff.

there not going to back down anytime soon, at least until obama is reelected, until then expect more heat.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Edjucate yourself before ranting....

Edjucate yourself before ranting....

I'm not in Cali...so I don't know the medical law there...
...since you don't live here and are not familiar with the law might I suggest you reserve commenting on it?

....but I say fuck the dispensaries. ... I'm all for shutting down the money thieves in the dispensaries. They don't care about the people that need it...they care about the bottom line.
What a low blow Lowman. You don't live here, you know nothing about our law, yet you group all the dispensaries in our state into one bunch of thieves with no respect for the ones that ARE doing the right thing and do have compassion for the sick and suffering. I know of many real compassionate people out here that have endured many hardships and ridicule from people like you just to remain open and provide medicine to the suffering. Those dispensaries deserve our support buddy. DD

mr.brunch

Veteran
i am not from the us, but i believe these dispensary owners and operators are todays pioneers, who when legalization happens, we will see as the brave trailblazers they are.
they are taking huge risks to help people who need this cannabis to help with their illness, or in some cases keep them alive. it pisses me off that the government will actually persecute people for doing this- and we call ourselves a civilised society??

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
I find myself in a difficult position, as many may as well.

I can go to jail for 20 years if caught growing marijuana without a license. However, if you get a license you are on a list that can bring the heat on whenever they decide.

I don't think that a licensed grower will go to jail for a small amount and if in compliance with the state law, but I still fear being on a list more than getting caught growing without license.

One other thing that I am afraid of is that although I come to the USA under the protection of political asylum I still fear deportation. If I am deported I will certainly be killed by FARC

I just don't trust the government. They have all the cards and make all the rules.

RidgeRebel

...but I still fear being on a list more than getting caught growing without license.

with all do respect; can you tell me more about this "list"? what "list"? I've heard this "list" mentioned before but i never seen it, or know anyone who has.

As far as I'm aware, you go to the doc and he/she recommends cannabis. you're protected by doc/patient confidentiality (so to be put on any "list" could cost the doc his/her license). you don't need to register anywhere or anything like that, at least not in California. you go home, you grow or smoke or vaporize or whatever... and call it a day.

am i wrong? there isn't any "list" other than what you would voluntarily be put on, like OCBC or something (which is not mandatory what so ever), right?

Also, id like to see what'd happen in a real "not for profit" situation, where there wasn't 300% mark ups and what not. where people were selling it for just enough to cover costs and expenses. not that anyone ever really would. who could afford it? but would it really fly, or would the dea soon find a way to have a problem with that also? and what would they say then?

H

Homer J Pimpin

DD no offence bro but I think you are making it more confusing.......California has blatently abused any and every regulation sanctioned by the us gov......for years, the phrase give a inch take a mile applies here......That is what he is saying and doing........abuse your privledge and it can be removed....personally I don't agree with weed being a class a narcotic and I dont believe that very many open minded or expierenced people do either but that is how it's clasified......We need to change that......The atty general is only doing his job in reguards to the blatant abuse The state has displayed......Let's face facts for just a moment k......Only about 10% of mmj card carring members legitimitly need a percription........The rest are just pot heads looking to get over......
I applaud your rebelious philosophy I am the same....But dont go crying cause Californians abused a grey area and the federal goverment noticed.........He's not trying to take medicine out of the hands of those that need it he's looking to stop the blatant abuse of the system in place.....I personally support this.......I think California as a state has set the movement back 5 yrs because of the abuse they so blatantly demonstrate....And you dont need to live there to understand what is going on you only need eyes and 1/2 a brain......If you are a legal cargiver playing by the rules getting put on a list is not a reason to worry about anything...The federal goverment is not trying to take away medicine....They are putting a end to a community of people that take advantage of a situation for personal gain......

B

BrnCow

Interesting. So how would Ron Paul stop this (He can't) or better yet what did Obama have to do with it (He Didn't). Moral being it's the machine not the mascot.

Obunny could do the same thing Ron Paul could do if he were elected. Shut down the DEA or change their policies toward weed and remove weed and hemp from the drug schedule where Nixon added it. He could likely change the old laws with a pen stroke also. But Obunny is like a kept woman and he's not gonna do shit that his trainers do not approve of.