What's new

NASA has Released Info on Brown Dwarf Star/Dwarf Planet Between Jupiter and Mars

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/WISE/news/wise20110218.html

this is an absolute trip!!! is it a dwarf star or a dwarf planet that has been existing in our planet system this entire time? March 2012 will be the whole revelation....

Background -
In November 2010, the scientific journal Icarus published a paper by astrophysicists John Matese and Daniel Whitmire, who proposed the existence of a binary companion to our sun, larger than Jupiter, in the long-hypothesized "Oort cloud" -- a faraway repository of small icy bodies at the edge of our solar system. The researchers use the name "Tyche" for the hypothetical planet. Their paper argues that evidence for the planet would have been recorded by the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE).

WISE is a NASA mission, launched in December 2009, which scanned the entire celestial sky at four infrared wavelengths about 1.5 times. It captured more than 2.7 million images of objects in space, ranging from faraway galaxies to asteroids and comets relatively close to Earth. Recently, WISE completed an extended mission, allowing it to finish a complete scan of the asteroid belt, and two complete scans of the more distant universe, in two infrared bands. So far, the mission's discoveries of previously unknown objects include an ultra-cold star or brown dwarf, 20 comets, 134 near-Earth objects (NEOs), and more than 33,000 asteroids in the main belt between Mars and Jupiter.

Following its successful survey, WISE was put into hibernation in February 2011. Analysis of WISE data continues. A preliminary public release of the first 14 weeks of data is planned for April 2011, and the final release of the full survey is planned for March 2012.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When could data from WISE confirm or rule out the existence of the hypothesized planet Tyche?

A: It is too early to know whether WISE data confirms or rules out a large object in the Oort cloud. Analysis over the next couple of years will be needed to determine if WISE has actually detected such a world or not. The first 14 weeks of data, being released in April 2011, are unlikely to be sufficient. The full survey, scheduled for release in March 2012, should provide greater insight. Once the WISE data are fully processed, released and analyzed, the Tyche hypothesis that Matese and Whitmire propose will be tested.

Q: Is it a certainty that WISE would have observed such a planet if it exists?

A: It is likely but not a foregone conclusion that WISE could confirm whether or not Tyche exists. Since WISE surveyed the whole sky once, then covered the entire sky again in two of its infrared bands six months later, WISE would see a change in the apparent position of a large planet body in the Oort cloud over the six-month period. The two bands used in the second sky coverage were designed to identify very small, cold stars (or brown dwarfs) -- which are much like planets larger than Jupiter, as Tyche is hypothesized to be.

Q: If Tyche does exist, why would it have taken so long to find another planet in our solar system?

A: Tyche would be too cold and faint for a visible light telescope to identify. Sensitive infrared telescopes could pick up the glow from such an object, if they looked in the right direction. WISE is a sensitive infrared telescope that looks in all directions.

Q: Why is the hypothesized object dubbed "Tyche," and why choose a Greek name when the names of other planets derive from Roman mythology?

A: In the 1980s, a different companion to the sun was hypothesized. That object, named for the Greek goddess "Nemesis," was proposed to explain periodic mass extinctions on the Earth. Nemesis would have followed a highly elliptical orbit, perturbing comets in the Oort Cloud roughly every 26 million years and sending a shower of comets toward the inner solar system. Some of these comets would have slammed into Earth, causing catastrophic results to life. Recent scientific analysis no longer supports the idea that extinctions on Earth happen at regular, repeating intervals. Thus, the Nemesis hypothesis is no longer needed. However, it is still possible that the sun could have a distant, unseen companion in a more circular orbit with a period of a few million years -- one that would not cause devastating effects to terrestrial life. To distinguish this object from the malevolent "Nemesis," astronomers chose the name of Nemesis's benevolent sister in Greek mythology, "Tyche."

JPL manages and operates the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer for NASA's Science Mission Directorate, Washington. The principal investigator, Edward Wright, is at UCLA. The mission was competitively selected under NASA's Explorers Program managed by the Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md. The science instrument was built by the Space Dynamics Laboratory, Logan, Utah, and the spacecraft was built by Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp., Boulder, Colo. Science operations and data processing take place at the Infrared Processing and Analysis Center at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. Caltech manages JPL for NASA. More information is online at http://www.nasa.gov/wise, http://wise.astro.ucla.edu and http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/wise .

Whitney Clavin 818-354-4673
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
whitney.clavin@jpl.nasa.gov

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
its funny how simular this story is to niburu and the 2012 stories and all the ancient astronaut stuff...

little eire

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you know what a trip also?

not wasting our money on space exploration, and how about an idea... giving the money to schools.. wow that's such a complex idea it's way beyond the comprehension of the government

zenoonez

Veteran
Yea wasting money on extending human knowledge instead of pumping it into failing public schools where no amount of money will make them successful. I went to public school, the problem isn't money, the problem is teachers or the lack there of.

WasntMe

Not investing in space exploration and expansion equates to species suicide in the long run. Since the time frame that this planet will support life is finite. Fact. Try to look beyond the tip of your nose.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Every Country on Earth should spend Zero on Defense and all its money on Space Exploration. There is no greater human achivement than being able to explore space..

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Yea wasting money on extending human knowledge instead of pumping it into failing public schools where no amount of money will make them successful. I went to public school, the problem isn't money, the problem is teachers or the lack there of.

:laughing: Yep what he said.

Cant teach children who have no desire to learn; or teach children who have more desire to learn then the teachers who cant figure out there own text books.

I

idoreallytry

i think i might have landed there a few days ago on the 20th,,,peace

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this is an absolute trip!!! is it a dwarf star or a dwarf planet that has been existing in our planet system this entire time? March 2012 will be the whole revelation....

Yeah, that is definitely a trip. So much mystery out in space, we don't really know shit yet, and this kind of report just underlines that fact.

I read a book some years back, I forget the title, about how common it would be for life to exist on a planet like earth. The book analysed all the different conditions that play an important part in creating the conditions conducive to life being able to happen.

One of the things that was considered crucial, was to have a giant planet in the outer solar system, like our Jupiter, that due to its size and massive gravitational pull, blocks things like asteroids and comets and other large space debri from reaching the planet with life. Without this giant planet, any planet with hopes of sustaining life would get pummeled and end up being a dead planet. Thats not exact, but is the gist of the theory.

Wouldn't it be interesting if there is another giant sphere in the outer solar system, and that this other giant was another reason that life was able to evolve on our beautiful blue and green third-rock-from-the-sun.

I love space stuff. Nice post Krunch!

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran

i also went to public school... and i have to say its the parents.... what can a teacher do for a kid thats out of control and has no parental supervision at home...?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
People have this notion that we went to the moon, dug a big hole, buried $50 billion and came back with a jar of Tang. That never happened. Never once has a single penny been spent in space. Every penny was spent here on earth, creating jobs and industries that create new taxpayers to fund things like schools, hospitals, fire trucks...

Robert Heinlein was slowly becoming a vegetable until NASA funded research saved him. I have a diabetic buddy who had to wake and adjust himself several times a night and went over 20 years without a proper nights sleep. Now, with NASA funded research, he has an automated insulin pump that adjusts him through the night.

Our cell phones, GPS, satellite TV don't even scratch the surface of NASA benefits to humanity.

zenoonez

Veteran
i also went to public school... and i have to say its the parents.... what can a teacher do for a kid thats out of control and has no parental supervision at home...?

Nothing. They can do nothing but minimize the impact that those children have on other children's education. Let me throw you an alternative though. What can a teacher do when they don't give one half a shit about what it is they teach or the children they teach? What can a teacher of an advanced "college level" course do to actually inform students when their idea of teaching is to sit in front of the class at a lectern and read directly from the book? Nothing. Teachers who are there for the free summers should be graded out of the system entirely. If Geoffrey Canada has taught anyone anything about education it is 90% about having both teachers and students on the same page and both dedicated to the same goals. Another problem across the country is lack of practical education. Many of those students who become problem children are simply not engaged by what they are learning, they would rather learn about engines, or architecture, or welding. We do a very poor job in this country of identifying the potential in children and in tailoring our educational process to the needs of the students. Specialization would help immensely in lowering drop out rates and increasing student success. I mean fuck, we live in a country where education is a virtual rubber stamp. Something needs to be done but throwing money at a problem never fixes it, it only succeeds in destroying money that could have been used more wisely.

E

Eatatjoes

Economically speaking, scientific study should trump everything other than survival (food, shelter, water, health care). The wonders of science and the universe were the only things I could relate to in school.

bentom187

Veteran
i like the idea of space exploration,but lets face it it aint gonna happen unless your wealthy or a goverment,wich means the rich will be in space and the rest of us stay here suffering in what they left behind.
sounds far fetched but its dosnt seem like richard branson and the private space indistry see it as a dumb investment, for a reason.
they need a new wild west to ravage ,the resources here arnt going to last.
i hope im wrong though.

E

Eatatjoes

It was the same way with cars at the beginning of the 1900's now everybody has one. Tv's, cell phones everything is improved and manufactured cheaper through the studies of science. It's only a matter of time.

D

Duplicate

Hey guys did you hear that there might be something within our solar system bigger than Jupiter?! Lets talk about politics! lolwut :D

igrowone

Veteran
Tyche's orbit would lie at approximately 500 times Neptune's; NOT between Jupiter and Mars.
Pesky details... :p

when i saw the post's title, thought it was the end of the world! a brown dwarf in the inner solar system?
the Oort cloud less scary, but not totally benign
this object - sometimes referred to as Nemesis - could be a mechanism for throwing comets into out solar system
which is no small deal - discovering such an object could lead to improved prediction of comet occurrence
which is dead on practical - as in a 'dead on' comet collision with our hangout

BlueBlazer

What were we talking about?
Veteran
Not investing in space exploration and expansion equates to species suicide in the long run. Since the time frame that this planet will support life is finite. Fact. Try to look beyond the tip of your nose.

Amen.
34853_thumbup.gif

I think mankind's achievement in space is one of the things that makes us a species worthy of survival.

Honkytonk

this object - sometimes referred to as Nemesis - could be a mechanism for throwing comets into out solar system
which is no small deal - discovering such an object could lead to improved prediction of comet occurrence
which is dead on practical - as in a 'dead on' comet collision with our hangout

Borrowed from wiki:
Nemesis was originally postulated to exist as part of a hypothesis to explain a perceived cycle of mass extinctions in the geological record, which seem to occur once every 26 million years or so...
The last major extinction event was about 5 million years ago,...

I guess we'll be ok for the next 21 million years or so...