What's new

From start of cloning to harvest 13 week scrog

T

thesloppy

I'd never heard of the Chikamasa either...looks like they make a spring-assisted needlenose number too, which is relatively cheap:

http://amzn.com/B001UHNI8I

41t76rGruoL._SY355_.jpg

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
the chikamasa are spring-less, zero resistance & very precise tip.... i use the orange handled ones, they are advertised as resin resistant sometimes, but imo they gather as much residue as any other blades.
once i got accustomed to using the chikamasa going back to springed fiskars seemed like just that: "going back"wards

Dont you get blisters from the handle wrapping your fingers? If not how much are you trimming at one time?

I'd never heard of the Chikamasa either...looks like they make a spring-assisted needlenose number too, which is relatively cheap:

http://amzn.com/B001UHNI8I

View Image

This might work better than the springless. But I would have to test the spring tension to make sure it is not to stiff and tiring.

mowood3479

Veteran
I've tried the chikamaskas... Not for me. I like the fiskars (but I hate trimming)I know some pro trimmers that use the chicamaskas tho..
Anyone got any tips for not getting all stuffed up and sneezy while trimming? I've been getting more and more allergic to herb over the years. I've been thinking of mayb wearing one of those surgical/drywall masks.
(Actually never mind I don't wanna derail the thread)

Last edited:

packerfan79

Veteran
I've tried the chikamaskas... Not for me. I like the fiskars (but I hate trimming)I know some pro trimmers that use the chicamaskas tho..
Anyone got any tips for not getting all stuffed up and sneezy while trimming? I've been getting more and more allergic to herb over the years. I've been thinking of mayb wearing one of those surgical/drywall masks.
(Actually never mind I don't wanna derail the thread)
Mabey an allergy medication. I wouldn'trecommend benadryl because it is going to make you tired.just a thought.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no blisters... trimmed a for days on end with them.
biggest plus for me is the no spring and super easy glide, just no work on the hand muscles... def took some getting used to for me.
also im talking about dry trimming, that may make a difference....
different strokes for different folks i suppose. my main gripe with all the springed scissors is that the springs break or pop loose and get lost... pet peeve, like you i probably have nearly a dozen straight & curved springed trimming scissors (fiskars and hydrofarms), many missing their springs, and many also seem to have gotten kinda dull.
i've only had the chikamasa's a short-ish time so can't comment on how they retain their blade.

doob

Ichabod Crane, your thread is so awesome, thanks so much for sharing and posting such detailed pictures/descriptions. All those people at the beginning who thought it couldnt be done, now they can see it can! And if done right, it can be even better than SOG.

Glad I can sit back and watch the remaining of the flower, love what you are doing, thanks again for sharing

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
no blisters... trimmed a for days on end with them.
biggest plus for me is the no spring and super easy glide, just no work on the hand muscles... def took some getting used to for me.
also im talking about dry trimming, that may make a difference....
different strokes for different folks i suppose. my main gripe with all the springed scissors is that the springs break or pop loose and get lost... pet peeve, like you i probably have nearly a dozen straight & curved springed trimming scissors (fiskars and hydrofarms), many missing their springs, and many also seem to have gotten kinda dull.
i've only had the chikamasa's a short-ish time so can't comment on how they retain their blade.

I dont think I have lost a spring yet. I have had some pop out. I dry trim as well. Not so much as trim, more of breaking the leaves off.

I only trim maybe 4 to 4.5 pounds every 3 weeks. With the fiskars I can do about 3-4 ounces a hour. My biggest problem is my neck not my hands.

Will have to get some and see how they work. Whats the worst that can happen. I know me curled up in a ball on the floor in the corner under the table mumbling no no no and cursing you.

Ichabod Crane, your thread is so awesome, thanks so much for sharing and posting such detailed pictures/descriptions. All those people at the beginning who thought it couldnt be done, now they can see it can! And if done right, it can be even better than SOG.

Glad I can sit back and watch the remaining of the flower, love what you are doing, thanks again for sharing

I dont mind skeptics. They keep you on your toes. Besides they help you improve your work. As long as they are not insulting me, or claiming to have more hair on their ass. Me, I can weave a rug from my back side. I am the missing link.

Some thing for people that may help them look at the pictures easier. Go to my album and all the pictures are labeled with the newest in the front. Here is a link to make it quicker for you.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=64085

t99

Veteran
I dont mind skeptics. They keep you on your toes. Besides they help you improve your work. As long as they are not insulting me, or claiming to have more hair on their ass. Me, I can weave a rug from my back side. I am the missing link.

Rug or welcome mat?
Great thread, the step by step with pictures makes it very easy to follow the techniques. Thanks for putting in the time

Phases

Air layering looks so crazy I've been looking into it - do you have any recommendations on how to do this? Like best way you have found. I saw using a water bottle or also using cubes cut in half. Just wondering what your thoughts on this method of cloning.
Thanks.

TheSilverMullet

Veteran
Read the whole thread. Entertaining and educational.

Been on the Chikamasa bandwagon for three years now. Still have my original two pairs that work great as well as some newer pairs. Can't go back to the Fiskar or Hydrofarm's now but I still know a few people who prefer them.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Rug or welcome mat?
Great thread, the step by step with pictures makes it very easy to follow the techniques. Thanks for putting in the time

No I mean rug. There is enough to carpet a expo center. That includes the carpet outside the entrance.

Air layering looks so crazy I've been looking into it - do you have any recommendations on how to do this? Like best way you have found. I saw using a water bottle or also using cubes cut in half. Just wondering what your thoughts on this method of cloning.
Thanks.

I like the bottle for the root mass size. It is much bigger than the cubes. But it is a little more involved I would think. But truthfully I have not done the cube. So I have limited experience with it.

Read the whole thread. Entertaining and educational.

Been on the Chikamasa bandwagon for three years now. Still have my original two pairs that work great as well as some newer pairs. Can't go back to the Fiskar or Hydrofarm's now but I still know a few people who prefer them.

Entertainment. This is straight out educational. Now sit down no talking in class.

Haha just kidding, glad you are enjoying it.

Miraculous Meds

thanks for sharing ichy. love the innovations u come up with. whether original or just borrowed n brought to the forefront, they offer solutions to be more productive when dealing with plant limits. thanks again bud!

taggin up, n rating thread, to keep it up at the top so it can maybe help some others.

also ur old thread with the vert screens made a world of difference for me, making life a whole lot easier to train plants vs the traditional horizontal screen, where u have to reach thru the canopy to train. Ive told countless people of those concepts I learned n borrowed from u! Its like little ichy seed being spread far n wide.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
crazy you have never lost or broken a spring on your trimming scissors... i must have some scissor torturing monster hands or something....
ya what MM said about the last thread... ich you always do a great job in threads of being informative and helping people be all DIY about growing... :good: good vibes.
:joint:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
thanks for sharing ichy. love the innovations u come up with. whether original or just borrowed n brought to the forefront, they offer solutions to be more productive when dealing with plant limits. thanks again bud!

taggin up, n rating thread, to keep it up at the top so it can maybe help some others.

also ur old thread with the vert screens made a world of difference for me, making life a whole lot easier to train plants vs the traditional horizontal screen, where u have to reach thru the canopy to train. Ive told countless people of those concepts I learned n borrowed from u! Its like little ichy seed being spread far n wide.

Um not sure I want my seed spread far and wide. Oh wait you mean knowledge thats cool. Just glad to give back to the Mag cause it was here when I needed it and still is.

And I appreciate the vote. It shows me people like my contribution to the Mag.

crazy you have never lost or broken a spring on your trimming scissors... i must have some scissor torturing monster hands or something....
ya what MM said about the last thread... ich you always do a great job in threads of being informative and helping people be all DIY about growing... :good: good vibes.
:joint:

Yeh I have snapped the blades on some. And wore the screws out on some others so the blades would not stay together. But never lost a spring. And I have enough hand strength to snap the blade on several pairs of pruners cutting stems.

Thanks for the kind words also. I watch your stuff and meds and steal your ideas to make me look good. Cause I am the center of the world truth be told. I look out and every where I look is around me. So I have just proven that the world revolves around me beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Phases

Here I have been using regular scissors this whole time and never even thought about getting some good spring snips - I think it's time for a trip to the grow shop - I ll just thank you ahead of time for bringing this up because come harvest of I have to use the same crappy snips I did last time I am going to loose it !!
I think my grow shop only has the fiskars - may have to order some online

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
that's an awesome way of viewing the "icmag experience"
:laughing:

I know, and it is true as well.

Here I have been using regular scissors this whole time and never even thought about getting some good spring snips - I think it's time for a trip to the grow shop - I ll just thank you ahead of time for bringing this up because come harvest of I have to use the same crappy snips I did last time I am going to loose it !!
I think my grow shop only has the fiskars - may have to order some online

I tend to stick with what has always worked. I mean just last year me and the homey were chasing lightning to start a fire to lite a jay. Cause that is how it was always done you know. When we saw this guy use one of those new fangled things to lite his jay. Turns out you can buy a bic lighter at the shell station. Who knew right?.

So long story short, yeh get a new trimming tool.

Phases

What you can buy a bic lighter... At a shell station. Well as I go on my journey to find they new fancy spring scissors all the kids are using these days I am going to have to stop and get one of those there bic lighters, haha

when it's harvest Iam sure I ll be back to thank you for making he realize how ridiculous I've been.. :tiphat: