What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Absolute Amber from Banana Silver Ladyboys

jump117

Veteran
Grey Wolf, I guess I do not exactly understand you.
Here I am talking about the secondary evaporation of a solution in ethanol, not in butane.
I did not mean to discharge the butane into a hot dish. Suspect lost in translation.

dope_roor

ive been experimenting with spraying onto pre warmed dishes, still unsure whether or not the method is too abrupt for some of the more volatile components but it sure does cut down on purge time. floating the pyrex in water also conveniently ensures that the glass remains absolutely level during the spray, sometimes allowing for the butane to purge before it gets a chance to creep up the side wall/pool in a corner as it is less biased to flow to one side

bukket

Hello everyone, today i am finishing my final extraction and first try at amber. I left you last time when I put the EthO solution in the freezer, 30 hours later I have

calgary2011051600011.jpg

Then I coffee filtered it by pouring the solution through a funnel with a coffee filter inside

calgary2011051600012.jpg

the solution was then filtered, and I could see visible fats and waxes in my pyrex dish so i instantly poured it back into the funnel with 2 coffee filters this time. then the solution was very clear, and I poured it back into the pyrex and began the steam bath. I used a metal pan about 2' high and poured small amounts of water per time for maximum steam.

calgary2011051600013.jpg

after the ethonal is disolved I have

then I scrape the amber into the centre of the pan and I have(sorry for the bad pic, I left my pyrex on the metal dish used for steaming bath, all that is there is what you see the yellow solution)

calgary2011051600018.jpg

This is what I ended up with

I was unsure if those little bubbles were a solvent or something natural so I continued to heat it, eventually in the stove at 150 degrees, big mistake. the end product was still very clean and good tasting but almost no taste or smell and it is a 'Budder' style texture.

im wondering aproximatly how long it will take to remove all of the solvents VIA steam bath?

this was my 1st run so im not completely disapointed but im still somewhat upset.
I have 10LBs of medium fresh chopped material I am freezing and am going to keep trying till I get the results like you have jump.
let me know any ideas or thoughts on how long it will take to remove solvents via steam.. thanks alot guys

calgary2011051600019.jpg

Last edited:

bukket

Cool pic trichgnomes! Guys I'm doing another extraction tonight and this time I'm going to pool the liquid butane in my coffee pot and then soak the herb for 20 mins per 2 oz's, I'm just wondering after I filter the 1st 2 oz's of herb out of the liquid butane via coffee filters, can I reuse that same liquid in say another 2 ounces of then fresh material? And keep cycling the same liquid butane through in total possibly 1LB of fresh material? Or would that somehow degrade the oil or something? I'm fairly new to this style of butane extraction I've only ever used sprayer type extractors. Thanks

jump117

Veteran
Hey Tr hgnomes :thank you: for the gift!

Hey bukket!
I have not tried to use the same butane to flush with new downloads.
I think that this should take care to reduce losses from evaporation of butane.
Insulate the coffee pot or better use a thermos.

Temperature of the solvent and exposure time are critical parameters for extraction.
The warmer the solvent, the faster it dissolves and the wider the range of the solute.

Tamisium users say that at room temperature for butane in a few minutes begins lipophilic pollution of extract.
Long cold vs. short warm.

From a can, cooled to -20°C, ~ 0°F, liquid gas flows out calm laminar flow and fills the vessel, as an ordinary liquid.
Can with a temperature of 8°C, ~46°F, sprays like a fire extinguisher.

Part of the liquid gas evaporates and is wasted in cooling the loaded material,
and only then begins to work as a liquid solvent.
Pre-cooled material will save this part of the gas in liquid form for extraction.

:laughing:

bukket

Cool! thanks for the response jump.
Im just wondering about my last step in the last picture I posted in my last reply. there is the final turn out from 1 Oz dryed material, im sure you cant see it very well but there are small bubbles left in the resin, im just wondering if they were non harmful or if I should contiunue to steam bath untill all bubbles are gone or what do I do.. this is the one part where I messed up.. please help guys.. thanks again

jump117

Veteran
Perhaps this micro bubbles of ethanol vapor sink in too thick layer of resin.
When the thickness of the resin is comparable to the size of the bubbles, they will not sink.

I think my evaporating dish is heated with steam to ~160F.

M

Mr. Mountain

This is by far my favorite hash making technique! I use the "Blow thru" method with my Butane. Then re-dissolve in 99% Iso or 95% Ethanol. I freeze the entire liquid alcohol/hash mixture overnight and place my filtering rig in the refrigerator.

I filter the alcohol/hash mixture a few ounces at a time, returning the bulk of the solution back to the freezer to keep the waxes out of solution.

When I am done with the filtering process, I have a white layer of lipids/wax on my filter.

The Absolute I make is BARELY semi-solid more of a viscous liquid really. I find that keeping everything cold during filtering helps prevent any wax from going back into solution, keeping it more liquid.

After purging for many days, this oil is still just that... AN OIL! I used a pipette to suck it up and place it in a vial for further use.

I will supplement this post with pictures as soon as possible. On my next run!

Until then,

Mr. M

jump117

Veteran
BHO is a waxy "Concrete" full of lipids (this is why it's solid at room temp).

I evaporate the solvent, usually on large pieces of plate glass under a fan or outside.

What is left is semi solid at best (usually a liquid) I use a pipette to suck it up and put it in vials for later use.
I find absolutes (properly made) will almost never be solid, only viscus

^^All of this is just my opinion of course, I'm sure many will disagree.

pipette it onto cigarettes (for concerts,)

I have had a very difficult time in both removing the ethanol while preserving the terpene content. I actually stopped making absolutes until I get a vacuum oven or different ethanol. Even when I am positive the alcohol is gone, there is sometimes a slight sweetness in the aftertaste that smells like the ethanol I have.

Theoretically, I should be able to remove it all without terpene degradation, but I have only be able to do one or the other.

Mr. Mountain, thank you for your report!

Evaporation of the cold ventilation is not sufficient for complete removal of ethanol. Especially if THCA/THC ratio is high.

Extract thickens and its viscosity keeps ethanol, and ethanol does not allow the resin to harden.

To completely remove residual ethanol, as well as to remove residual butane extract has heated up to melt or at least softening,
that is fatal to terpenes.

It should be noted that it is not bad for stealth use in public places where odors can attract unwanted attention.

For this purpose I made out thin stick of solid amber and insert it into the cigarette, where the pre-pierced channel for its placement.

picture.php

The appearance of a cigarette is not changed.
Smoke resin with the first deep puff.
If you choose not to smoke the load of amber stick can be easily derived from cigarette without loss.

Try evaporate a few drops of your nectar on a plate over boiling water.
Steam bath provides a melt temperature THCA and more complete removal of ethanol.

If, however, this consistency is not solidified, it means that the ratio THCA / THC is small,
ie material mostly or completely decarboxylated and ready for orals.

As metrologist how do you assume pressure in the pipe during the "Blow thru" extraction?

The higher the pressure, the higher the temperature of liquid butane, the faster the extraction and shorter pure phase.
If, as in your situation, the gas is available and inexpensive, it might be worth a try cold butane extraction in an open thermos,
it will give a clear and consistent extract.

jump117

Veteran
:thank you:

This flower mass was stored in PP ice-cream box for six months at room temperature
in the storage room of my friend Tigerdream aka Summer, :wave: after which it was granted for the experiments.

Rinse part of them in Butane (-20C), in a thermos for one hour, evaporated and dissolved in ethanol.
Strange that weren’t flakes in ethanol in dissolution of first run BHO, but they fell in the second hour smaller ~10% run.

The color darkened to cherry-red, but it still holds the consistency, you can keep in fingers like 30 seconds, then it sticks.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It was the first life of this amber, then followed by two more.

jump117

Veteran
The first life of this piece was over, when I started to sculpt it
(don't name, I see!)

picture.php

and dropped it on the floor where it broke into shards.

picture.php

The same happened in the earlier session, but the lesson was not learned..

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts