What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing with the C-Vault?

MMAjay420

i dont recall which 420 mag it was in, perhaps high times or 420 times, but there was a whole article on these things where the dispensary that was using them say they are so effective they cut down thier leftover shake from the bottom of glass jars by 75% due to these bad boys keeping the meds fresher and at the right humidity. they look pretty good....

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
They look like a nice product but pricey.

I'd consider using a magnet to hold one of those humidity packs in the top of a mason jar.

probably better as a stash jar for consumers to hold their little bags of smoke than to cure any quantity.

R

Rjrom90

They sell a dozen 4.4 gallon c-vaults for $900. A bit pricey but maybe worth it for large operations.

groer

Hmm very interesting, im working on a sealed but ventable drying box with a humidity controller myself.

Wooderson

I bought three of these and they work perfectly! My bud is sitting perfectly at 62 percent humidity!
I got the Large one (holds about 30 Grams), I also love the consistency it's perfect! However I would think that the Cvault is probly not needed, I would think that any Sealed container with the 62% Humidpak inside would get similar results...

www.humidipak.com

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just got mine last week. 3 x large and 2 x 6l. the large hold just over an ounce and arent very large. the 6l should hold a pound.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes I agree. the container probably works fine but so would any other container I think I could be wrong but I doubt it.

M

mugenbao

Yes I agree. the container probably works fine but so would any other container I think I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Other containers work just fine, I've been doing this for a while now with smaller quantities (up to an ounce) and I'm perfectly happy with the results. Those packs are made originally for humidors, so obviously other container types can benefit from them.

I may actually try to modify a container to hold the pack like the C-Vault does as it seems like a cleaner design than just sticking a pack in there, but it's obviously not strictly necessary.

Mr Roboto

i'm planning on getting some but the packs only. Does the packs leak or have an odar? Should I just place it on top in the glass jar?

M

mugenbao

The packs do not leak, and have no odor. I'm not sure whether it would be a bad idea to have the packs in direct contact with the buds, though. I use a container large enough to keep the pack off to the side, just in case direct contact causes some sort of wicking action (I doubt it, though).

Last edited:
Update!
I have been using the X-Large unit for about 3 months now and love it! It keeps my weed at exactly 62 % humidity it seals nicely and there is no light penetration. I would say you could do this with any sealed container using the packets but for long term storage I think this is that way to go as you don't have the light penetration that jars have.

A

ak-51

So is the C-Vault just an airtight stainless steel container with a little shelf on the underside of the lid for the humidity packs? For curing I think even a 5 gallon bucket would work fine. IMO it will be lightproof enough and airtight enough for curing short term, but maybe not for long term storage. I harvest enough to fill about 6 of the half gallon jars at a time, so I don't think I'll be using 6 packs to cure every time. I would rather just cure it all at once then divvy it up into the jars and vacuum seal.

Is there any guide to how many packs would be needed for x amount of product?

Boveda Site said:
2 Packs are recommended for every 50 cigars your humidor can hold.
So 2 per 50 cigars. I'm going to just guess that a cigar is about a quarter, so that would be 2 packs per 12.5 oz or about 2.5 per pound.

I'm not sure whether it would be a bad idea to have the packs in direct contact with the buds, though.
You could probably just wrap some cheesecloth loosely around the pack if it were a concern.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
The Humidors that I've seen for Cigars, have hook and loop material, to attach them to the inside of the lid.

My Q would be; Are they the same as used to store cigars?

Just went to an online cigar supplier. They sell the Bovida's for cigars. Nothing mentioned as to 62%,,, only 70-75%. They also sell another brand of 'solution' to rewet?, the humidistats. Wondering what the deal is?

Some of these look like furniture?
http://www.thompsoncigar.com/thumbnail/CIGAR-HUMIDORS/LARGE-HUMIDORS/8393/c/8393/pc/8389.uts

St3ve

I got the Large one (holds about 30 Grams), I also love the consistency it's perfect! However I would think that the Cvault is probly not needed, I would think that any Sealed container with the 62% Humidpak inside would get similar results...

www.humidipak.com

+1

Its in the humipak, not the fancy (expensive) container.