What's new

2x2 Grow - Mars Hydro TSW2000 - Home Made DWC

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Cooler air through the airpump will help cool the nutrient solution, yes. Not sure how efficient the cooler and ice-packs will be, but be sure to let us know your results if you do it. :)

Larger rockwool cubes will drain easier on that surface than the smaller cubes. You essentially want as much empty space below the bottom of the cube as possible. No worries, it should work out fine.

Transplant? (sorry for the delay) As soon as I see roots I transplant to the netpot and pebbles. Hand water daily until the bubbles popping in the dwc keep the roots wet. :)

Yes, your use of H2O2 for a sterile res, or mass amounts of beneficial bacteria are the only ways I know to run DWC at higher temps.

redleb961

Cooler air through the airpump will help cool the nutrient solution, yes. Not sure how efficient the cooler and ice-packs will be, but be sure to let us know your results if you do it. :)

Larger rockwool cubes will drain easier on that surface than the smaller cubes. You essentially want as much empty space below the bottom of the cube as possible. No worries, it should work out fine.

Transplant? (sorry for the delay) As soon as I see roots I transplant to the netpot and pebbles. Hand water daily until the bubbles popping in the dwc keep the roots wet. :)

Yes, your use of H2O2 for a sterile res, or mass amounts of beneficial bacteria are the only ways I know to run DWC at higher temps.

Thanks for the reply ! I might give the cooler thing a try , i could use ice bottles in the cooler and replace them whenever they start to melt. And maybe a half inch hole in the cooler for passive airflow, with 2x4mm holes for the air lines , and a small hole for the plug. Not sure if the hot air entering the cooler might take over the cold air the bottles would give though since the air pump 2x4L/min.

Regarding the rockwool, ill make sure to try and put something below it , like a metal grill, because i absolutely have no idea when the air pump will get here, so im keeping the seedling in the dome till then.

And concerning being able to work with higher temps, i think the h2o2 will do it! Ive experimented with this before and it really worked. I wanted to buy something like hydroguard for beneficial bacteria but its not available in my location.

Would you have any recommendations for how often to supplement with 11,9% h2o2 ? I was thinking of starting with 5ml/10L during every res change/topping off

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Update :

Seedling at day 11 since germination in Rockwool

Everything going smooth so far, absolutely not rushing to put the seedling in the DWC bucket YET ! Still waiting for a couple things to arrive (Shipping is taking forever with the whole virus situation going on) ...

Going to let the seedling grow more roots in its current environment till everything is perfect and ready to go !

Forgot to mention, i added 3ml/L of Root Booster from GHE (TA) to the solution im using to spray and water the cube (Slightly)

Pictures from today :

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82683&pictureid=2024461&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82683&pictureid=2024460&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82683&pictureid=2024459&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

She looks good :dance013:

Douglas.Curtis

Would you have any recommendations for how often to supplement with 11,9% h2o2 ? I was thinking of starting with 5ml/10L during every res change/topping off
I have none, but I'm sure you'll find advice from many growers here. I have severe adhd so I have issues staying on schedules, adding something to combat root rot does not work for me. My plants tend to suffer.

I've gone through all these methods and finally quit all but keeping temps in check. When I cannot do this, I switch to roots-out. All my root rot issues are eliminated, because my temps are always correct without having to check. I literally consider it a waste of time to do it any other way. (Again, why I suggest switching to roots-out hydro in situations like yours.)

Yes, you can make it with a sterile res and your mileage will vary according to your ability. :)

redleb961

I have none, but I'm sure you'll find advice from many growers here. I have severe adhd so I have issues staying on schedules, adding something to combat root rot does not work for me. My plants tend to suffer.

I've gone through all these methods and finally quit all but keeping temps in check. When I cannot do this, I switch to roots-out. All my root rot issues are eliminated, because my temps are always correct without having to check. I literally consider it a waste of time to do it any other way. (Again, why I suggest switching to roots-out hydro in situations like yours.)

Yes, you can make it with a sterile res and your mileage will vary according to your ability. :)

Well, you're surely doing it the right way !

I wish i could afford a water chiller atm, its seriously out of budget right now, but ill get one for sure in the future. Ill just stick to H2O2 for the moment and see how things go, since i already have/ordered everything for this grow.

Here's an update on the little girl and how long do you guys think i could keep it in the dome ? Still waiting for my damn air pump to get here (it took way too much time because of the situation) :

Pennello5

Hey there buddy ! I dont mind at all , grab a seat :tiphat:

I dont have a scheme but i can explain real quick the idea i have in mind.

You're going to need :

Accessories :
1x Black (Lightproof) bucket - 5 Gals or whatever , mine is 32Liters
1x Lid for the Bucket
1x 5inch Net pot
1x 1/2inch bulkhead fitting
1x 1/2inch Plastic Faucet that fits in the bulkhead
1x 90 degrees elbow 3/8inch aquarium fitting
1x 1meter of either 14mm or 16mm hose depending on the elbow size
1x Rubber Stopper (Upper diameter 52 - Lower 42mm)
1x Air pump
2x 4mm air lines (1 meter each or more depending on your setup)
2x 4inch air stones or 1x 8inch air stone

Tools :
- Electrical Drill
- Flat Drills (Various sizes)
- Drill bit (4-5mm for the air lines)
- Cutter to cut the hole for the net pot
- Silicone for the bulkhead

Steps :
- Cut a whole in the lid for the net pot and place the net pot (i secured mine with electrical tape)
- Drill 2 holes on the bottom of the bucket : 1 for the bulkhead fitting and one for the 90 degrees elbow fitting (Be careful of the sizes , they will have different sizes)
- Place the bulkhead fitting with the faucet on the outside
- Place the 90 degrees elbow + the 1m hose to check water level
- Drill a 48mm hole in the lid for the rubber stopper (this will help you check ph and refill the bucket)
- Drill 2 holes for the 4mm air lines + connect the air lines to the air pump and to the air stone placed on the bottom of the bucket

Here are some pictures to help you better understand the accessories for the bucket. Mine is still not finished though, still waiting for the rubber stopper and the 90 deg elbow as well as the air pump and the 4mm air lines.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82683&pictureid=2025868&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82683&pictureid=2025873&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82683&pictureid=2025871&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82683&pictureid=2025870&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Thank you VERY MUCH!! Very kind of you! Sharing is caring! Ill follow you with a big J my friend

redleb961

I'd definitely begin un-doming that plant asap. :)

Do you think it could resist in just being on the tray ?

Should i keep watering the tray ?

I noticed that whenever the tray’s dry , the tips of the roots start to become brown/dry, so im keeping water on the bottom almost the whole time for it to drink and for the roots to stay white.

To be honest , ive never been in that situation.. i always either planted the seedling or placed it in the bucket at that point.

Your help is greatly appreciated !

negative37dBA

Veteran
I've gone through all these methods and finally quit all but keeping temps in check. When I cannot do this, I switch to roots-out. All my root rot issues are eliminated, because my temps are always correct without having to check. I literally consider it a waste of time to do it any other way.:)

Read this multiple times before you try to continue with roots in....all my problems went away with a chiller. Ice bottles and such are a total waste of effort. When a chiller cost as much as a zip of finished product I do not see the logic to NOT use one.
peace, negative.

redleb961

Read this multiple times before you try to continue with roots in....all my problems went away with a chiller. Ice bottles and such are a total waste of effort. When a chiller cost as much as a zip of finished product I do not see the logic to NOT use one.
peace, negative.

You are totally right buddy, but like i said before, its out of my budget right now, im in a very delicate situation.

I will surely get one for my future grows, but for now, ill just fight through this grow to make it the best i can.

I yielded 1gr/watt (170gr - 6 ounces) off one plant, on my first DWC (it was an old mars hydro led model) using a cheap plastic tote that was letting light through and even had root rot starting to form. I used cheap 3% H2O2 and that saved my grow.

Im now using special equipment (light proof bucket, 12% H2O2 for plants, better air flow, better air pump, and on top of that experience that i have gained troughout my last grows)

I am certain that this grow will be successful, maybe not as "easy" as if i had a chiller, but very doable.

Wish me luck my friend :canabis:

redleb961

Hey guys, hope everyone's doing well.

I wanted to update you all about whats been happening inside the tent.

I have finally removed the dome but kept the seedling in the rockwool on the tray.

The seedling doesn't seem to show any signs of deficiencies, problems, etc ... but the roots have been turning brown lately since they need to be placed into an actual medium. Ive been keeping water on the bottom of the tray so the roots dont get dry.

Can anyone please recommend what i could do to keep the seedling growing in the rockwool for the moment (since im still waiting for the air pump) without causing stress to the seedling or damaging the roots ?

Edit : Im worried the seedling already went through some stress that could potentially affect the final yield. Should i germinate a new seed or keep holding onto this one till i receive my air pump ?

Here are some pictures :

Last edited:

Pennello5

Can anyone please recommend what i could do to keep the seedling growing in the rockwool for the moment (since im still waiting for the air pump) without causing stress to the seedling or damaging the roots ?

Edit : Im worried the seedling already went through some stress that could potentially affect the final yield. Should i germinate a new seed or keep holding onto this one till i receive my air pump ?

Here are some pictures :

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82683&pictureid=2027382&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82683&pictureid=2027381&thumb=1]View Image[/url][/QUOTE]

Hi red, how you doing? I believe the best thing you could do right now it the put the seedlings with the rockwool inside the nets with some clay, let the nets touch the water so the clay gets the humidity and the seedling can feed from it, They are not going to die my drawing cos they wont be touching water or at least not submerge at all.... I dont think roots should get any light or being smashed :tiphat:

I'll follow you mate, looking forward to get all the accessories and tools to make my own rdwc, cheers again!!

Douglas.Curtis

You'll be ok on yield. Autoflowers lower yield when they're stressed during the first 3 weeks of growth. Photoperiod genetics you can veg a bit longer and the plant will recover and produce normally. :)

redleb961

Hi red, how you doing? I believe the best thing you could do right now it the put the seedlings with the rockwool inside the nets with some clay, let the nets touch the water so the clay gets the humidity and the seedling can feed from it, They are not going to die my drawing cos they wont be touching water or at least not submerge at all.... I dont think roots should get any light or being smashed :tiphat:

I'll follow you mate, looking forward to get all the accessories and tools to make my own rdwc, cheers again!!

Hello my friend ! Thanks alot for the great idea, i dont know why i haven't thought about putting it in the net already !

So i washed the hydroton as many as 10 times with warm water, and left them in 5.5 Ph'd water for 24 hours. I placed 2 layers of hydroton in the bottom of the net pot and the rockwool on top, then covered the rest with hydroton. I have placed the net in a small bowl of water to better observe the root development.

Let us know how your rdwc goes !
Cheers

Here are some pictures :

redleb961

You'll be ok on yield. Autoflowers lower yield when they're stressed during the first 3 weeks of growth. Photoperiod genetics you can veg a bit longer and the plant will recover and produce normally. :)

Glad to hear that ! Ill stick to the current seedling then.
Thanks for the info :tiphat: