What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2x2 Grow - Mars Hydro TSW2000 - Home Made DWC

redleb961

We all want to see what the TSW2000 can do in 2x2 tent. :biggrin:

Im excited as well !

Just received my nutes today (3 Parts Flora Series) from GHE which now changed their name to Terra Aquatica , and the Liquid oxygen (H2O2) from growth technology.

Still waiting for the Bio Root also from GHE (TA) , the air pump , and a couple other elements to complete the DWC.

Here's an update of the little girl :biggrin:

redleb961

Quick Update :

Seedling has been loving the environment so far :

- TSW2000 set at 25% at a height of 110cm (43inches) from seedling
- Rockwool cube watered with a PH of 5.6
- Humidity in the tent at 30%
- Humidity in the dome at 95%
- Temperature in the tent at 25C (77F) during lights on
- Temperature in the tent at 24C (75F) during lights off

Conclusion :
At 25% power , the TSW2000 doesnt seem to give off too much heat in a 2x2ft or 60x60cm tent , taking into consideration that i have a PC fan installed blowing on the drivers , and my extraction fan is set on minimum power (145m3/h or 85CFM).

When the plant gets to the early veg stage and gets in its new DWC bucket , ill increase the TSW2000's power to 50% and the light will be placed at a height of 55cm (21.6 inches) above the plant. If heats starts to increase , ill switch the extraction to power level 2 (187m3/h - 110CFM).

Photos from today :

redleb961

Thanks for taking the time to read the update ! :tiphat:

- Do you think that i could have some problems (in Veg) in the future with a humidity that low (30%) ?

- Do you think the DWC could potentially raise the humidity levels in a space that small ?

Im wondering since ive never grown in such conditions before (Living in a different country now)

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
The baby is so cute and weak now. Take care of it with your best. We all want to see her matured face. lol :biggrin:
I suppose the humidity might cause some problem in such a small space. For better answers @Douglas.Curtis might provide. :tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thanks for taking the time to read the update ! :tiphat:

- Do you think that i could have some problems (in Veg) in the future with a humidity that low (30%) ?

- Do you think the DWC could potentially raise the humidity levels in a space that small ?

Im wondering since ive never grown in such conditions before (Living in a different country now)
Very welcome, I'm digging the Mars Hydro LEDs and DWC is my favorite grow method. It's a win-win show for me, and even more so for getting you started out right. :)

Yes, DWC will add a little humidity to the area and I'm sure you'll be fine with those numbers. Any more than 77F and I'd want to cool the air down, especially during flower. You will also want to acclimate the seedling to regular humidity right away. Start slowly dropping the RH in the dome by leaving a crack open and slowly widening it over time. Close it back up for a little bit if the seedling starts to droop, then open back up a slightly smaller crack.

redleb961

Very welcome, I'm digging the Mars Hydro LEDs and DWC is my favorite grow method. It's a win-win show for me, and even more so for getting you started out right. :)

Yes, DWC will add a little humidity to the area and I'm sure you'll be fine with those numbers. Any more than 77F and I'd want to cool the air down, especially during flower. You will also want to acclimate the seedling to regular humidity right away. Start slowly dropping the RH in the dome by leaving a crack open and slowly widening it over time. Close it back up for a little bit if the seedling starts to droop, then open back up a slightly smaller crack.

The Mars hydro + DWC combination should give excellent results i suppose!

I just figured something regarding the temperature, i was taking wrong readings before, well, they were correct but not accurate since i had the heater on in the whole apartment. I now turned it off since the weather is already getting better and its becoming warmer, and after doing that, i noticed the ambient temperature was around 20C (68F), and 21-22C (69-71F) inside the tent.

And thats at the lowest setting on the extractor fan. Hope things turn out well regarding the whole temperature thing.

Thanks for reminding me also about slowly acclimating the seedling into its future environment. Ill make sure to be gentle with it and lower the humidity down gradually.

Since DWC is your favorite grow method, would you mind me asking, what would be a good air pump/air stone combination for the 32L (8.4 gal) DWC bucket, taking into consideration that there will be less water than the total capacity, i would say around 27-28L (7-7.4gal).

Now the pump i have ordered is rated at a capacity of 2x4L per minute, which is 8L/min or 480L/hour (126GPH).

The air stone i have ordered is a 4inch good quality circular air stone
that has 3 suction cups to keep it at the bottom.

My question is : is that setup going to be ideal and i would say sufficient for the type of bucket im going to be using ?

Or should i be getting something stronger ?

What ive seen and been thinking about lately is a 30L/min or 1800L/hour (475GPH) air pump monster with a speed regulator combined with an 8inch circular air stone with 3 suction cups. The 8inch air stone would cover a bigger area in the bottom of the bucket.

Is my first setup going to be enough ? if not , will the 2nd option be good or too strong and cause too much turbulence in my 7-8gal bucket ?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Since DWC is your favorite grow method, would you mind me asking, what would be a good air pump/air stone combination for the 32L (8.4 gal) DWC bucket, taking into consideration that there will be less water than the total capacity, i would say around 27-28L (7-7.4gal).
With the gap for roots, it's probably closer to 6 gal. You'll want a pump using 3 watts or less. Anything more than 3 watts and you'll want to split the line and put a second stone in another bucket of water. Too much air will artificially drive up the pH.

You can easily test if you have too much air. Check your pH then turn off the pump for 15 minutes and check it again. If your pH has dropped, you're using too much air. ;)

redleb961

With the gap for roots, it's probably closer to 6 gal. You'll want a pump using 3 watts or less. Anything more than 3 watts and you'll want to split the line and put a second stone in another bucket of water. Too much air will artificially drive up the pH.

You can easily test if you have too much air. Check your pH then turn off the pump for 15 minutes and check it again. If your pH has dropped, you're using too much air. ;)

You're right , i didn't take the root mass into consideration ! So the level of water will decrease slowly with time as the roots get bigger.

Could you please give me an example in liters/min or liters/hour or GPH ? Ive been seeing many air pumps lately where you can have a 3W air pump pumping 8 liters/min and another 3W air pump only pumping 4 liters/min so thats basically half the amount.

What is , in your experience , the best quantity of air a pump should be able to pump into a single DWC bucket of between 5 and 7gals ?

I will surely try what you recommended as a test to check if i have too much air in my res , once my bucket is all set !

I already received my plastic faucet that will help me alot in changing the res every now and then , already installed it on the bucket !!

Here are a couple pictures from today :