What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

100% Sativas (Have you ever tried one?)

pastor

hi,

from all the strains i grew, i really prefer sativa one (pure or almost) for some simple reasons:

-you can grow them already 12/12 or almost, less electricity cost
-they make a lot of branches, so easy to take clones, even in the stretching period
-they don't feed nutes, light mix or light mix + coco with a slow organic amendment, and water only, easy and cheap
-a little container for starting, a big one after stretch, less soil
-no bractea, no trim
-heady effects, so nice to have a party, electric, no body, no red eyes, less after effects, more clear
-less chance to have disease in the flowers

ttsc's ciskei and congo, ace's bangi haze, cbg's destroyer and jamaica b-m, hazexshunk (haze dom)...
so nice strain to grow, and even more to smoke.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
My experience with pure sativas (or should we better say pure tropical indicas as all the drug-strains come from indica species which were carried all around the world by the man and evolved in each place to the tropical enviromental conditions) is quite nice. In fact, most of the plants I grow have pure lineages. From fast nepalese to african and south asian sativas. Im doing this to have better knowledge of each line different characteristics so it's important they don't have any interfering genes from afgan, skunk or similar strains.

I must say that as many remarked, some of this plants have a clear effect which can make you think you are not very high! But you can realize how high you are looking at the way you are acting and some changes in the perception and sensations or even the stiffness of the body. Some others are more introspective like thais, hazes and all happens inside the head... definitely not for the comercial effect strain lovers who will feel dissapointed with them.

There are also some heavy effect sativas like some africans, with a relaxing pleasing effect after the initial rage and active feeling. Just like most colombians. I'm now trying to find my favourite active and electric sativa. Strains that will make me talk, dance and enjoy without feeling heavy or stiff. I think I will be able to find that on congolese africans, south indians, reunion, old jamaican and central american lines.

Peace.

Painfull

Pure of anything today is rare. I been looking at Arian Haze #1 and Ultra Haze #1 also Kali Mist. Not pure but close. So anyone grow Kali Mist recently? Is it just as good as the old.

Pain

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day Red

Gotta say your buds are waaay immature bro .
That stuff looks like what I used to smoke before I started growing myself .
Picked too early . Yes it may have an uplifting buzz . though if you let them run at least another month you will reap the rewards .
The compexity of Sativas is in the old over ripe resins combined with fresh under cooked and well ripened trichs is the key .
Was weather or security an issue ? If not let them run till the majority of the calyxes are swollen and their pistils have retracted . Only then will you realise the full potential .
I am enjoying following your posts from Colombia .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tropical Sativa Harvest times

Tropical Sativa Harvest times

G`day Red

Gotta say your buds are waaay immature bro .
That stuff looks like what I used to smoke before I started growing myself .
Picked too early . Yes it may have an uplifting buzz . though if you let them run at least another month you will reap the rewards .
The compexity of Sativas is in the old over ripe resins combined with fresh under cooked and well ripened trichs is the key .
Was weather or security an issue ? If not let them run till the majority of the calyxes are swollen and their pistils have retracted . Only then will you realise the full potential .
I am enjoying following your posts from Colombia .

Thanks for sharin

EB .
Hola, the buds in the above pics is from my first grow (2004), the plant had been flowering for 5 months (3 months before it even showed sex) so I cut some of the plant. I harvested 3 times off the plant before finally cutting her down. When I did finally cut her down the plant had been growing for over a year and as I'm sure you know tropical sativa can have several harvests as the plant matures at differnt rates but yes I knew it was inmature but I like the pics anyway lol.

attachment.php

Still months away from the cut....

attachment.php

Getting there but still a ways to go.

Peace from Colombia!

Last edited:

Nirrity

it seems very few people actually smoke them indeed and do realize what is pure sativas are all about.

to me a good sativa is:
-no ceiling high. none of that the more you smoke but can't get any higher and only add more hum.
-the high itself is more lucid, mind-expanding, complex and profound
-low tolerance build-up
-no comedown. none of that heavy exhausted lazy hangover or when you feeling like a replete pig after eating half of your daily calories in a few last hours before sleep..

The Hatter

Veteran
There are also some heavy effect sativas like some africans, with a relaxing pleasing effect after the initial rage and active feeling. Just like most colombians. I'm now trying to find my favourite active and electric sativa. Strains that will make me talk, dance and enjoy without feeling heavy or stiff. I think I will be able to find that on congolese africans, south indians, reunion, old jamaican and central american lines.

Peace.

I'm searching for my own holy grail strain very similar in description to your own. Ace and CBG are good places to look for a lot of IBL and hybrids between them.

I have heard many good things about Bangi Haze when it comes to highly electric and upbeat effects although I have yet to try it myself.

Out of the ones I've tried I've found good Mexican highland sativas tend to be very crisp, clear and happy but its been well over a decade since any of that has been around.

Destroyer is an amazing social and upbeat strain. It's not quite as clear as the best of the Mexican stuff since it has Thia in it, but it's also a lot more euphoric and potent than the Mexican sativas for that same reason. I found it quite motivating and fun. It's clean upbeat effect definitely stands out against the typical hazes you see going around which tend to be a bit muddier and a tad disorientating.

Last edited:

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
red, hehehe... some of those colombian sativas will reveg outdoors too! they kick serious ass.
I managed to do it twice.

after they reach a good harvest window, where the buds can be considered matured enough, maybe between 7 or 8 months after germination, you harvest but leave the lowest two nodes with their respective branches. after about a month, it will start growing again and putting out new branches, and the stalk will become very thick, it's crazy... of course, this was done in the tropical andes, outdoors. the plants were in containers too.

I'm sure you can find some sativas that you can harvest and reveg this way for a few years at least, if not many.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
to me a good sativa is:
-no ceiling high. none of that the more you smoke but can't get any higher and only add more hum.
-low tolerance build-up
-no comedown. none of that heavy exhausted lazy hangover or when you feeling like a replete pig after eating half of your day calories in a few last hours before sleep..

Yes, agreed. Wish more growers had the patience and desire to do 14+ week sativas so I would see them in collectives. You see some Jack H and typical cuts but rarely anything beyond that. Was getting some Neville's Haze for about a year and it was a blessing and effects of a different nature.

I saw some old school colombian beans on a couple sites recently. Anyone care to suggest some strains available in seed form they consider true sativas?

kamyo

Veteran
Recently gifted a friend some Golden Tiger from Ace to try out in his backyard. Was a few weeks early due to bad weather conditions at his spot, but the high was amazing. Smoked and then went on a hike to an old underground freshwater cave. I didn't go in, but the entire hiking experience was one of the best ever. Totally wrecked the rest of my day, though. Super strong and worth every second. Have my last two growing now that are either GT or PHaze/Thai. The next 4 months can't come soon enough.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
I just started some Oaxacan x Punto Rojo that I daydream about finishing. It'll be a while but I know it'll be worth it.

Elmer Bud

Veteran
Hola Red Rider

Thank you for taking the time to reply .
Its true regards the sequential harvesting . I have had some plants regrow and bloom again 2-3 times . I`m in the sub tropics and have mild winters . Some plants lasted 18 months and kept on giving up more sensimilla . Eventually they succumbed to mold and pests .
I enjoyed your post re the old school Colombian compared to the Crippy as well .

Those that want to grow Sativas indoors .
Grow clones not seed plants , [ Less stretch and more branching . ] and go with 11 / 13 or 10 / 14 light regimes.
The short days gets the plants into flower quicker and cuts down bloom time some what .
For most vigorous Sativas flowering can commence directly after the clone has rooted . No need for vegg period .So there is a month saved in the vegg room . Also the shortened days should hurry along the bloom . Making some indoor Sat a more viable option .

EB .

The Hatter

Veteran
Yes, agreed. Wish more growers had the patience and desire to do 14+ week sativas so I would see them in collectives. You see some Jack H and typical cuts but rarely anything beyond that. Was getting some Neville's Haze for about a year and it was a blessing and effects of a different nature.

I saw some old school colombian beans on a couple sites recently. Anyone care to suggest some strains available in seed form they consider true sativas?

Look to Cannabiogen and Ace. I am having a very good experience with some of their genetics. You can't go wrong with Destroyer if you are looking for a lovely 100% sativa that doesn't take half a year to finish. If I remember correctly its Colombian/Thia.

ghostly

Look to Cannabiogen and Ace. I am having a very good experience with some of their genetics. You can't go wrong with Destroyer if you are looking for a lovely 100% sativa that doesn't take half a year to finish. If I remember correctly its Colombian/Thia.

I'm all over it

dddaver

Veteran
I've got some Neville's haze x SSH seeds calling my name. I have to finish this sweet skunk x blueberry - (SB) I have growing now first. I know those haze seeds aren't pure sativas, just dominant, but I wanted a high yielder before growing for them, supposedly take ffoorrreevveerr to finish. It looks like I'll have that big yield from the SB in there now( X <fingers crossed).

I'm sure looking forward to those hazes though. I noticed the seeds are real small. Are all hazes like that?

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
yes haze seeds tend to be smaller than others, but not a sure tell tail that its a haze if seeds are small, but most are...

peace
Chefboy

Elmer Bud

Veteran
% of Indica ?

% of Indica ?

I've got some Neville's haze x SSH seeds calling my name. I have to finish this sweet skunk x blueberry - (SB) I have growing now first. I know those haze seeds aren't pure sativas, just dominant, but I wanted a high yielder before growing for them, supposedly take ffoorrreevveerr to finish. It looks like I'll have that big yield from the SB in there now( X <fingers crossed).

I'm sure looking forward to those hazes though. I noticed the seeds are real small. Are all hazes like that?

G`day dddaver

You may well find a broad spectrum of phenos in those seeds bro .
NHz [75% Sativa] x SSHz [50% Sativa] . 2 remarkable lines mated no doubt .
Though even the Nevil`s can throw out shorter term Indica dominant plants .
To select for Sativa traits I`d run as many as possible at once for ease of comparison ,go with 12/12 from seed and cull ruthlessly . Then shorten the light cycle and continue selection . The proof of the pudding won`t be known till after smoke tests so clones of all plants are req initially those that don`t pass selection are culled along with their parent plant .
Lotta work . And prolly only for connoisseurs .. break a leg .

EB .

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A "good" sativa

A "good" sativa

to me a good sativa is:
-low tolerance build-up
-no comedown. none of that heavy exhausted lazy hangover or when you feeling like a replete pig after eating half of your day calories in a few last hours before sleep..

I agree with you on this being a good discription of a good sativa effect. However we can't forget that hemp is also 100% sativa lol.

Viva Colombia!

swayzak

I've had great sativa highs of mostly-sativa hybrids. 75% and above (sativa x sativa/indica) can bring phenos that have an almost pure sativa high.
I keep repeating "almost" because some pure sativas (like the Haze I'm smoking lately) have an effect which is so clear, yet trippy, that you don't feel like having smoked weed at all, but have taken some other drug like a true psychedelic. It's so easy on the body in low doses that you think you are not getting high, being used to and waiting to "feel" something. And while you don't feel it as weed, it is so moving, touching something deep inside of you. It's purely spiritual. And when you get used to this effect, all other weed feels like a dumb stony drug.

Yes. The plant / smoke has a personality and a 'voice' that acts like a teacher. Once I had that revelation I knew I needed more pure sativas. Indicas have their uses, but for me I would rather be painfully AWARE than comfortably NUMB.