What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tyrone's Arboretum and Cannabinoid Oasis

TyroneShoelace

Secret OG 49F

Secret OG 49F

We are through week 7 and while the buds look quite ripe from a distance, trichs aren’t there yet. The smell is getting sweeter and taking on a candied grape jam aroma. Still very kushy piney base notes, but getting more complex by the day.

I have started backing off the feed. We are hovering around 1.0ec and next week I will probably pull it back further, or or go to plain water depending on resin maturation.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

TyroneShoelace

I took these yesterday, so that puts her at day 54 here. Trying to remain patient.

picture.php

picture.php

I took a sample nug at day 49 and she is honestly too stinky. I'm glad I live in a legal area, but this is just plain disruptive. I don't have much of a way to enjoy it without notifying everyone within half a mile radius every time I open the jar.

She's absolutely a shit yielder. The buds just wither away as they dry. They're rock hard when alive, but the clusters of calyxes separate a bit as they dry and leave the buds just slightly airy. Not excessively resinous either. But she smells great. I hope the taste and effect are there. That's the important piece. Will find out soon enough.

Last edited:

TyroneShoelace

Secret OG F56

Secret OG F56

Pulling a staggered harvest now. The 7 week nug was phenomenal. Can’t have more than 2% THC at most and it’s very tasty. Very interesting terps that I struggle to put words to. Effects are calming, relaxing, and clear as a bell. Initial testing is a resounding success.

I cut a bunch today at 8 weeks, and will keep an eye on the rest. If she holds, I’ll take her at 9.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And one to show some color contrast against her bunk mate.
picture.php

noknees

Pulling a staggered harvest now. The 7 week nug was phenomenal. Can’t have more than 2% THC at most and it’s very tasty. Very interesting terps that I struggle to put words to. Effects are calming, relaxing, and clear as a bell. Initial testing is a resounding success
sounds awesome. you took a cutting, right? :blowbubbles:

TyroneShoelace

Beautiful looking plant!

She really is! I'm grateful she found me.

After some early bioassay there's a good chance this could be federally compliant hemp if harvested at the right time. The 7 week stuff is similar in effect to a lot of the boutique indoor hemp you can get on the web. But the terps/taste/resin is so much better. I tried a little of the 8 week in the vape and it's still quite fresh, but has a more pronounced head change. Still very clear and chill, though. I would imagine that the 9 week will continue further down that path.

I wish I had a place to send flower for an analysis. All the labs in my area require licensing and a ton of additional documentation. It's nice that it works for my head, but I want to quantify what exactly is working in there. I hope we see federal legalization in the next few years.

TyroneShoelace

Grow_bigblue said:
Once more growers can get their hands on CBG varieties flavors will improve. It’s just been difficult to acquire seeds. I have found a breeder that is playing with CBG varieties outside of OregonCBD’s lines and picked most of his seed offerings. I’m definitely interested in CBG rosin and water hash and things of those nature, more natural based than solvent based, and maybe that’s what you meant earlier by isolate. Not that I have issue with solvent based products as long as they’re done properly. But, again too many producers are focused on profit over quality. So yeah 10 years from now... I need to get a rosin press anyways, and I am curious how CBG will translate since the resin is so different. Once I have the materials I plan on giving it a try.

Cool I’m glad someone’s interested. I’ll start a thread soon outlining my project and once I get up and running I’ll keep it updated.
Welcome, Blue!

I have more CBD genetics than I'll probably ever be able to grow in a lifetime. But I lack the space to grow and sift for the one in a million sports. For now I'm only sprouting 4-6 seeds of any given variety and looking for broad characteristics that I can use to catalog for the future. I expect to have the space within 5 years so for now I'm just playing with variety, honing my growing skills, taking notes, and enjoying the ride.

I was actually curious about the pure CBG isolate, as opposed to a full-spectrum concentrate, but it sounds like we share similar views on the magic of the entourage effect. If you're interested, there's a guy (memetermaid) on reddit who did a 7 gram squish of some White CBG and had great success with about a 15% yield, though it looks quite dark. Seems like it squishes like any other flower, which is nice since the technique doesn't need to change.

As for the latest CBD updates here, I'll be chopping the rest of the Secret OG at 9 weeks tomorrow. She's looking super plump and ready to go. She will be making room for the BCM#1 .

On deck I am tentatively going to pop a few CBD Gandhi beans. Really anxious to see what those are like.

Be back tomorrow with some pictures. Adios!

Hey hey!
I must have glossed over this thread cuz I’ve been here before, I’ll get caught up later.

I feel you on the coco, I love it in theory and starting off everything’s great but unless it’s automated keeping up with hand-watering gets to be a pain. I usually end up up-potting into soil. I debate on automating a coco setup in the future but I just set up some worm bins and have a living soil thing I’m testing out. We’ll see..

Seed collections grow much faster than plants do that’s for sure haha. I have trouble staying focused and picking a direction to work towards but it’s nice knowing I can go back to something if I want. I picked up Rosaberry to make the F2 with the hope of someday having the room to find the 6% that could be type IV but really someone else has done the hard work already so I consider it preservation.

I’ll check out the Reddit thread. That is interesting and seems like a decent yield. You said you do your own rosin? Have you found it yields best at a humidity %? I’m wondering since a lot of the commercial CBG tends to be over dried. And what about after a lengthy cure? I know a trend is doing live resin / flash dried to preserve terps but so many haze varieties and DJ’s work ages so well so I’m curious how that affects the result.

If you’re interest Hoku Seed Co has CBD and CBG seeds, he’s on insta gram and has his own site. I’ve picked up most of his type IV and he usually sends extra. Worth checking out.

It looks like you lean more towards CBD than THC. I haven’t grown any CBD varieties myself but now you’ve got me thinking I should.

Wow! I just got caught up on the thread. So much to discuss. And that mango haze looks amazing!

I’ve used a product called Lost Coast plant therapy on aphids and other pests. It’s organic, made from essential oils, and they offer free samples on their website, just pay shipping. I’ve used it to control aphids and fungus gnats and also some fungal disease on some other garden plants.

And I’m curious if you still have the Newberry still alive?

TyroneShoelace

Yeah, I had a drip system set up which worked really well for a while. It kept the plants alive for more than a month without my intervention. But I always ran into issues in mid to late flowering. In retrospect I think it was underfeeding. But at the time I was throwing shit at the wall to figure out what was wrong. I'd end up with root zone issues which brought the fungus gnats and only compounded the nutrient uptake issues. Ultimately even if I could fix it, I really don't like dealing with any soil-like medium in my current environment. When I stray from DWC indoors it will be for Aero. And outdoors it will be two separate tracks: NFT and living soil.

Hi, my name is Tyrone and I'm a seedaholic. It's been 6 months since my last seed purchase (Shout out to Josh Blue!!!!). Some days are harder than others. I nearly relapsed today when I visited Hoku's website. Luckily they were sold out of the Harle-Tsu BX3 and I was able to talk myself into deleting the other items in my cart. Temptation is everywhere. But I need to put my energy into sifting through the library I have.

I love that you're putting in the work to find those chemotypes rather than just buying some of the type IVs from Hoku and calling it a day. I think you're going to find some really unique stuff coming out of the BBF4 side of the Rosaberry.

I have access to a press and have had enough time to get relatively comfortable with flower. I prefer a somewhat lower humidity flower for squishing. Not crumbly dry since humidity buffers against high heat, but spongy herb is no bueno. Squishing bud that is too humid releases lots of steam and leaves the rosin a liquidy consistency that is nearly impossible to manage, even straight out of the freezer.

I can't tell you what the ideal humidity %, though. My jars stay around 50-55% and the buds are usually cured long enough to have the area around the stem hit an equilibrium with the jar, but not always. Overdried bud can be rehydrated gently and will make decent rosin (as long as it's not too far gone), but the yield will be reduced by about 25-50% in my experience. As you said the hot ticket is the freeze dried fresh frozen bubble. But that is a risky proposition when you're learning to squish. I'm not entirely comfortable with it and generally prefer to just smoke the bubble since it's just fine as is.

Well, due to this conversation I'm giving CBG another serious look. I think it's amazing that different cannabinoids fit with different brain and body chemistry so uniquely. Maybe I need to try it with some CBD. Maybe in higher concentration. There's a lot of experimentation to be done. Thanks for the tip.

As for the Aphids, they're long gone. The bastards didn't have a chance after I switched to DWC and went sterile. I try to keep my room as clean as possible, so haven't had any issues yet. But I stay vigilant.

I have both Newberrys still. They are still pretty fucked up looking, but have grown out of some of the gnarliest mutations. I'll post some pictures in the Blue thread in the coming weeks after I do some maintenance.

TyroneShoelace

Secret OG 63F (Chop Chop)

Secret OG 63F (Chop Chop)

Today's the last day of the staggered harvest. The 7 week buds are great. The flavor is starting to pop now and they smoke like a federally compliant hemp flower, but with more pronounced effects.

The week 8 buds are dry and stabilizing now. vaping them gives a bit of a head change and I doubt they're federally compliant. But they're still great, and they taste even better than the 7 weekers.

Here are the week 9ers which are currently hanging.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I’d love to set up a hp aero system. I try to explain it to people that don’t grow and they look at me like I’m nuts. I’m afraid I would hate the constant maintenance so I haven’t pulled the trigger on building a set up.

Sorry about adding to the temptation. My New Year’s resolution was no more seeds and I almost lasted 2 weeks!

Thanks for the info on pressing. I’ve gotten behind on that tech. I love how scientific people are with it. It reminds me of the wine industry and I think there’s going to be an amazing quality rosin market soon.

TyroneShoelace

I’d love to set up a hp aero system. I try to explain it to people that don’t grow and they look at me like I’m nuts. I’m afraid I would hate the constant maintenance so I haven’t pulled the trigger on building a set up.
You got me on a new tangent now.

I did an LP aero system (I use this term very loosely) a couple years ago with some cherry tomatoes and it was an amazing experience. No clue wtf I was doing. I went to Home Depot with grand dreams about building a manifold with some bulkhead fittings, external res, blah blah. But I was blasted and came home with some random PVC fittings and a shitload of Popeyes tenders.

I ended up half-assing (probably quarter-assed tbh) it with a 3 gal bucket, pump in-res, pipe up to a 'T" and each end capped with 2 nozzles on each side. The res was in the upper 90's the whole grow which turned into 9 months of delicious tomatoes. I was using the GH Flora version of Lucas Formula.

Can't remember the variety, but they were cherry tomatoes bred by a guy in NJ. They had this downy white fuzz throughout the grow and the tomatoes had them as well. I called them White Widomatoes. Quite acidic and delicious. For about 8 months straight I was getting a handful of tasty 'maters every couple days.

The nozzles clogged after about 4 months and I removed them, effectively turning it into a recirc DWC. No idea how I didn't get any root issues with such a ridiculous setup.

Anyways, I dug through the archives and found them.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

TyroneShoelace

7 Week Secret OG Nugshot

7 Week Secret OG Nugshot

Been burping the 7 week harvest for a couple weeks now and she's starting to put out the funk again. Great aroma. I am beyond satisfied with this cut considering how shitty the quality of commercially available hemp is. Next round will involve lots of stress testing. If she passes the torture test I'm going to see what she adds to a cross. She passed down the very low THC trait from mom quite well. And the quality is much better than mom. All good signs so far.

So here's a 7 week nug in daylight and shade
picture.php

picture.php

I’ve tried the lp aero system with a sub pump and “mister” nozzles. Burnt up one pump so I scrapped it. I’m determined to get a hp system set up at some point at least to say I’ve done it.

TyroneShoelace

Hell yes! That will be something great to experience. Do you think you'll buy a pre-made one, build it, or do a piecemeal approach?

BTW, I grabbed a couple C02 oil carts that have an interesting ratio. It's labeled as an "entourage blend". It's nice. The effect is a lot stronger than the CBD-dom carts I'm used to. Even the 1:16 ones with 3-5% D9THC. It's very interesting. Most notable thing is that my eyes are much more sensitive to light. There's a little bit of a headband effect as well. It's pretty chill, though. Going to enjoy further testing.

HPLC test shows:
37.84% CBD
01.45% CBDA
35.66% CBG
01.12% CBC
00.60% CBN
00.24% CBG
00.26% D9THC

TyroneShoelace

AC/DC x Flo F5 54F

AC/DC x Flo F5 54F

Flosaberry at the end of day 54. I vaped some sugar leaves of a day 50 sample and there's a moderate level of THC in there. Very clear, bright, and heady effect so far.

picture.php

TyroneShoelace

So far the only good things about the AC/DC x Flo are the resin coverage and the effect. The effect always reigns supreme in my world, but I'm not sure this one is good enough to compensate for the lack of yield, and the unpleasant flavor. It's still early. Nothing's cured yet so there may be some mellowing and developing. But I'm pretty skeptical she will stick around after the next run.
picture.php
picture.php

BCM#1 is now done with 3 weeks of flowering. I'm keeping up with her in more detail over in the Blue Notes thread and in the BCM thread in the DJ forums.
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts