What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I'm a Murderer!!

O

OG Tree Grower

I'm not saying this IS your problem or not but I have killed small plants with sunshine 4, I had batches where fresh runoff with RO water measured 1200ppm and ph of 5.5,Now I usually flush the soil when starting seedlings in it. Might be worth testing your runoff of your new soil

DJXX

Veteran
I germinated with damp paper towels (not 'wet') in a clamshell made from from two aluminum disposable pans to keep them in the dark. I don't drown the sprouts... I keep the towels barely damp. So far all seeds have germinated and nearly all will break soil in 4 inch coconut fiber pots with high quality soil. My mistakes seem to occur after germination and seedling breakthrough of soil.
thats pretty much the same...that looks good...like he says above maybe the soil you use is too hot for babies...they make a soil ph tester and they are really cheap...check out the ph of the soil mix you use for the babies..they only need at the most half power food...flushing the mix for the babies is a great idea..i bet thats the culprit..DJXX

brown_thumb

I'm not saying this IS your problem or not but I have killed small plants with sunshine 4, I had batches where fresh runoff with RO water measured 1200ppm and ph of 5.5,Now I usually flush the soil when starting seedlings in it. Might be worth testing your runoff of your new soil

I've never read about testing the runoff. Makes sense I guess.

brown_thumb

thats pretty much the same...that looks good...maybe the soil you use is too hot for babies...they make a soil ph tester and they are really cheap...check out the ph of the soil mix you use for the babies..DJXX

The soil PH may be a bit alkaline (no more than 7.0) but I water with 6-6.5 PH. I assumed that would be fine but maybe I should add some lime to the soil??

DJXX

Veteran
7.0 soil and 6 - 6.5 puts you way high...you need to get them down to around 6 with them combined...see you are just about there...babies can't take it...DJXX

T

TreehouseJ

I plant my seeds straight into the substrate. I've read the paper towel method is good for checking germination rates, but that tap roots are really too delicate to be playing around with. If you have the touch of death the way I do, I would give Oasis cubes a shot for your seeds and clones. They are already pH perfect, and lightly pre-charged with nutes. Just water them and walk away.

O

OG Tree Grower

7.0 soil and 6 - 6.5 puts you way high...you need to get them down to around 6 with them combined...see you are just about there...babies can't take it...DJXX

Really? I've always had troubles at 6.5 or less.... I shoot for 6.8-7.0

O

OG Tree Grower

actually that's not entirely true, if my runoff is 6.5 I don't change anything, but when it gets below that I water with 6.8-7.0 water

DJXX

Veteran
Really? I've always had troubles at 6.5 or less.... I shoot for 6.8-7.0
i run coco and 5.8 to 6.2 is the sweet spot for the nutrients.....iam probably wrong on the ph then for soil grows...i always thought the sweet spot for plants was 5.5 to 6.5...tine for me to read a lil more before giving advise...sorry no harm intended..thats what great about this site, someone knows and will help direct you...DJXX

O

OG Tree Grower

No worries, I'm a shity dirt grower too that's why I asked really.? I just keep moms in dirt and do pheno hunts in dirt before they hit the hydro systems.

S

sourpuss

Maybe try some reg seeds of a few different varieties at the same time. The ones that make it let them pollenate each other... grow those seeds next time.... rinse repeat when your running low on beans.... heat stressed seed line... climatized for texas...

brown_thumb

I'm trying several different varieties to determine what strains work best in this environment and can survive my horrific grow skills. I've tried cuttings from other types of plants (not cannabis) and killed them all. For now, I want to learn all I can from growing seeds. If/when I ever become somewhat successful then I'll try cloning. Until then... I've already bitten off more than I can chew.

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
You should flog yourself in front of a grow shop. Repent for the sins you have committed against the sacred plant. Maybe they will give you a coupon for 10% off or something.

T

TreehouseJ

I'm trying several different varieties to determine what strains work best in this environment and can survive my horrific grow skills. I've tried cuttings from other types of plants (not cannabis) and killed them all. For now, I want to learn all I can from growing seeds. If/when I ever become somewhat successful then I'll try cloning. Until then... I've already bitten off more than I can chew.

You gotta clone, bro bro, there's nothin to it! Unless you want to muck around re-vegging harvested plants, you are going to want to take a cutting of whatever variety you are growing before you throw the whole shabang into flower, that way if its a successful strain, you can keep it alive and either run your clone as a mother plant, or in a perpetual harvest situation where you are pulling clones from clones from clones. I have heard people advise against the latter situation, but I have seen my favorite strain run for 10 years this way, no problem. That would really suck to get a bad ass once in a lifetime phenome that crushed in your environment, only to lose it from an unfounded fear of sticking a clipping in a cup!

smithsutton1968

I would worry about just getting the plants to grow first then worry about the strain selection. Remember the horses pull the cart not push it .

ss

brown_thumb

I can't own horses for fear of killing them too... and I'd surely break the cart.

Four of the Tora Bora seedlings are still alive but one died two days ago and it appears I'm losing another one. All five Cherry Bomb died. I suppose I'll be happy enough if the remaining four Tora Bora survive.

Tynehead Tom

Most folks I've met who have had the hardest time growing weed, are not paying attention PH and soil moisture content. Those two things cause accumulating damage and once a new grower realizes there is a problem.... it's too late.

check yer water.... could be the culprit

btw I like this thread LOL
just here to bitch and whine.... Love it ;)
but we're all gonna try and help ya anyways :smokey: