What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I'm a Murderer!!

brown_thumb

BAD NEWS IS: I lost all five of the Cherry Bomb and two of the six Tora Bora.

GOOD NEWS IS: The remaining four Tora Bora are doing well and are now 1-2 inches tall with good color and healthy leaves.

I've been feeding and watering less so that probably helps. Also, it's been cooler here which is probably helping too.

Hmm... now I need to find something else to bitch and cry about today. I'm feeling a bit out-of-sorts because I'm so accustomed to worrying about my babies. Where's the fear? Where's the sadness? Where's the frustration? Where's the anger? I feel so strange. What is this weird feeling? Happiness and jubilation? Is this what that feels like? It feels so odd!! Maybe I need to drive to the city and find a very rude store clerk so I can get into a verbal altercation so I can come home, knock a hole in a wall and have myself a good cry.

brown_thumb

I've seen plenty of proof that feeding seedlings is better than starving them. They just shouldn't be overfed. Anyway, I'm still learning... or trying to. :)

brown_thumb

I would say that we all believe what we want.

I'm basing my beliefs in actual real-world tests by forum members right here on icmag. I understand that most of us have been told many many many many many times that we should starve seedlings. But I give more weight to actual tests which have proven that feeding them reasonably is better than starving them completely.

BTW, I've dug PHDs out of the muck many times because they were taught something many years ago and illogical information was repeated incessantly in the educational field and was completely wrong. I may be an undereducated moron but I was right... every... single... time. There's a difference between 'knowing' and 'thinking'.

I'm a failure today... but just wait until tomorrow. ;)

Levitationofme

I was not trying to argue. 100's of ways to grow, as long as you like what your doin.
Remember that you will find proponents of every method on ICM, and many of them conflict. That does not matter. What matters is that you find your way.

If you want to argue semantics and such or growing styles that's cool too.
Ill be happy to

brown_thumb

I was not trying to argue. 100's of ways to grow, as long as you like what your doin.
Remember that you will find proponents of every method on ICM, and many of them conflict. That does not matter. What matters is that you find your way.

If you want to argue semantics and such or growing styles that's cool too.
Ill be happy to

Oh, I know. I suppose I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to thickheadedness. I'm sorry if I seemed rude... it wasn't intentional and I didn't intend to argue either. It's just that it's very difficult and frustrating to filter through all the differing opinions.

The discord is not very helpful to those with so little experience, such as myself, until we can learn enough to create our own informational filters.

I've researched many things on countless forums involving numerous topics and I run into the very same basic problems... hundreds of conflicting opinions... relentlessly repeated wrong information. I saw that endlessly working for Uncle Sam as a CG guy when those who should have known better repeated extremely illogical nonsense and asked me to provide visuals to support that stupidity. This was/is extremely important because our soldiers relied on the information we conveyed to them. As a low-level graphics guy, I could easily see the faults in the commonly accepted premises the so-called 'experts' drank in without thought. I would see those asinine concepts and research them to prove their inane BS. I succeeded every time... EVERY TIME... despite the fact I was a lowly graphics guy. My point is, I... need... proof.

To an idiot like me, all this is very frustrating and confusing. :redface:

Last edited:

Levitationofme

The world can be full of idiots, but we got ourselves this far.

I am no expert, I have been growing for over a year, 4 successful grows that all had their challenges, and a couple pure failures.

I purchased the latest grow bible and kept it by the terlit and read it for a couple months
before my first epic fail. But it turns out the info is good, and even after reading the crap out of it I still made dumb mistakes.
It was my choice of a starting point. from there my location and experiences shape what I do.

35 years ago I was in a small culinary school. I had to make Hollandaise for part of an exam, There were 4 judges. Each one had shown us a different way to make the same sauce. There were subtle differences in each one. Being a young smart ass I whipped together 6 different methods instead of presenting them with the one I figured out how to make. The methods are different enough that most of them cant be mixed unless you have advanced knowledge of what you are doing.

Such is the world of growing weed. Lots of methods and they all work, and mixing methods to squeeze out more awesome bud is always happening , but is fraught with problems. I find it endlessly amusing and interesting.

As far as my method goes I plant in Seedling Starter Soil
spiked with mycos and azos and water very little day by day slowly
increasing the amount. I add some Rhizo Blast, a sucrose product for the microbes to eat and some BioAg Full Power to the water and its PH 6.4
But no real NPK untill they are as big in picture.

In my world the seeds contain plenty of nutrients to grow them to
this size. At this point I start with the full recipe for nutrients I use
cut in 1/2 with R/O and Phed to 6.4

Spraying seedlings with foliars is good too.

A little Worm Shit tea with some liquid kelp is cheap and easy.
I cant say why, It works for me. I start the foliar very early in seedling stage.

brown_thumb

Got it. :)

Lately I've been mixing distilled water (A/C distillate) with a bit of epsom salt, regular beer, molasses, PH down (to 6.0), and an ounce per liter of H2O2. So far... so good.

The world can be full of idiots, but we got ourselves this far.

I am no expert, I have been growing for over a year, 4 successful grows that all had their challenges, and a couple pure failures.

I purchased the latest grow bible and kept it by the terlit and read it for a couple months
before my first epic fail. But it turns out the info is good, and even after reading the crap out of it I still made dumb mistakes.
It was my choice of a starting point. from there my location and experiences shape what I do.

35 years ago I was in a small culinary school. I had to make Hollandaise for part of an exam, There were 4 judges. Each one had shown us a different way to make the same sauce. There were subtle differences in each one. Being a young smart ass I whipped together 6 different methods instead of presenting them with the one I figured out how to make. The methods are different enough that most of them cant be mixed unless you have advanced knowledge of what you are doing.

Such is the world of growing weed. Lots of methods and they all work, and mixing methods to squeeze out more awesome bud is always happening , but is fraught with problems. I find it endlessly amusing and interesting.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=69276&pictureid=1652123&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

As far as my method goes I plant in Seedling Starter Soil
spiked with mycos and azos and water very little day by day slowly
increasing the amount. I add some Rhizo Blast, a sucrose product for the microbes to eat and some BioAg Full Power to the water and its PH 6.4
But no real NPK untill they are as big in picture.

In my world the seeds contain plenty of nutrients to grow them to
this size. At this point I start with the full recipe for nutrients I use
cut in 1/2 with R/O and Phed to 6.4

Spraying seedlings with foliars is good too.

A little Worm Shit tea with some liquid kelp is cheap and easy.
I cant say why, It works for me. I start the foliar very early in seedling stage.

brown_thumb

I think I'm zeroing in on my problems here.

PH: I usually add half a teaspoon of epsom salt per gallon when I water but the lower leaves always yellow. This time I adjusted PH to approximately 5.8 (I've been keeping PH between 6.0 and 6.5). After only one watering at the lower PH, the lower leaves are turning green again though the coloring is uneven. This happened overnight. My guess is the soil PH is a bit high. It's also possible my PH test strips are a bit inaccurate or I'm not reading them correctly. I'll test the soil better when I transplant to the big buckets. Until then I'll keep watering at 5.8 PH.

LIGHT: The little seedlings continue to bend toward the small LED lamps I have pointed at them and they're stretching, as my seedlings always do. So I know I need more light. I've learned to leave at least an inch of space at the top of the pots so I can add more soil when needed so the delicate stems aren't struggling to hold up the leaves. The greenhouse in especially poor light this time of year. I'm getting two CMH light fixtures on the cheap. I just need to reinforce the structure of the greenhouse so these heavy things don't collapse the roof. I also need to determine what lamps fit the fixtures. Unfortunately, the MH are only 175 watts so of limited use.

WATERING: I'm watering far less than when I first started and this is helping.

SOIL: I amended the soil this time but I think there's still too much clay in it. So I'll be adding much more perlite, vermiculite and rice hulls to big buckets when I transplant.

Last edited:

brown_thumb

So overnight you began to see a reversal in lower yellow leaves? Scratches head on this one.

Yes, I can't help what I'm seeing. The green is uneven so looks a bit weird but it's there. All yellow last night... splotches of green today.

Here's a pic of what one leaf looks like today... was completely yellow last night. The only thing I changed was the PH of the water.

DSCN0331b_zpsr8kwtsgy.jpg

Last edited:

rolandomota

Veteran
Damn man I use tap water I never ph or measure ppm and I use potting soil from the store any brand. Its not that complicated but some people love to overdo it. West tx here near El Paso with loads of seeds I have made but won't grow anytime soon if at all. I plan on growing ace Malawi almost exclusively in the future. I should be loaded with Malawi seeds right now but the fucking sheriffs got to them first o well shit happens. Don't you have a brick weed connect? I have a crap load of Mexican seeds from the stuff I buy. The heat is killer around here it's very hard to start stuff in summer like you say they burn up quickly. I plan on growing stuff in the future again after I'm not in trouble anymore. I'm good for now no problem with the law yet so I will keep buying my monthly half pound of brick at least till next February. Good luck with the plants

Last edited:

brown_thumb

I have no reliable connections to buy here and the couple of people I do know either won't sell directly to me or they want $300/ounce. Also, there's no way to know what I'm actually buying.

I'm a newb to the whole thing and only started trying cannabis for pain and other medical reasons. I'm trying to grow my own so I have control over the strain, growing conditions, curing and storage.

I know this isn't complicated and the many other newbs with FAR better success than me prove that. But I tend to kill every living plant I try to grow. I don't know why except, as you and others allude to, perhaps I'm trying too hard.:)

Dankwolf

I have failed more times then most have tried . success come with failure at least yoyr trying . keep it simple . some time s gping back to basics is the best soultion even for the experianced grower(been there many times ).

brown_thumb

I've been planting 5-10 sprouted seedlings at a time in hopes of only 1 or 2 survive my abuses. I currently have 15 and they seem to be doing okay at the moment. These are in my VERY unsealed greenhouse and the outside temperature is dipping to approximately 36 degrees F tonight (2C). So I put a 1500w space heater near the plants (all tiny seedlings grouped together) with a slow fan blowing through the heater toward the pants and a line-level thermostat at the plants. The temp should easily stay between 45 and 65F (7-18C) at the seedling location. I'm using a fan because the heater is an oil-filled type with no fan to direct the heat.

Latest posts

Latest posts